Shiny hunting bracelet.

Heimann

Question

WITH THE GD FIASCO OVER THE RATES, THIS IS LOOKING BETTER NO ?

Before I try to remember all the ideas I have for this I'd like to go over the pros & cons that I think might arise.

Pros

1.Players with extremely high hours played with no OT will statistically find one sooner.
2.Possibly will stop players from going 1000+ hours with no shiny becoming discouraged. 
3.Possible ways to work into the economy.
4.End game content.
5.Will allow players a slight chance at finding their favorite pokemon as a shiny vs a random(If it is found in the wild).
6.Encourage more players to play official events.

Cons

1.Players who collect or horde shiny pokemon may feel this devalues them.
2.Might be extremely hard to implement.
3.May need constant tweeking to the rates due to feedback or growth in playerbase.

If you have any more feedback on pros vs cons, please let me know and I'd be glad to theorycraft on them.

The Idea

A bracelet that gains charms as you complete more and more difficult tasks from a npc. Each charm that you acquire will grant a very small % to the rate at which you encounter 1 specific shiny pokemon. The rate is 1 in 8192 (for the games) I have no idea what it is in pokemmo. 

The suggested rate at which I would start with, can be tweaked per staff or player debate. (Keep in mind this is for hunting 1 specific pokemon)
[spoiler]
Charm 1 - 1/8000
Charm 2 - 1/7800
Charm 3 - 1/7600
Charm 4 - 1/7400
Charm 5 - 1/7200
Charm 6 - 1/6850
Charm 7 - 1/6500 (Only from official tournaments)
[/spoiler]
So overall we would be looking at 6 charms that the general player base would have access too, the 7th charm could become a reward that is included for the winners of official events. (Hopefully motivating more people to enter them)

The NPC & Tasks

A suggest the location be in one of the major hubs. I'd like the npc to look like one of the old men you find in ruins.
Talk to the npc 1 time to gain your bracelet (bracelet has 0 boosts without charms)

How it will only work with 1 pokemon at a time.
You click the npc, it will open a window and you drop the one you wish to hunt into the window. After this, your charm will be locked to that pokemon only.

The Tasks. (Subject to change based on player & staff feedback)

Charm #1 - 10 will be needed to have been completed to gain the first charm.
Charm #2 - 15 will be needed to have been completed to gain the second charm.
Charm #3 - 20 will be needed to have been completed to gain the third charm.
Charm #4 - 30 will be needed to have been completed to gain the fourth charm.
Charm #5 - 40 will be needed to have been completed to gain the fifth charm.
Charm #6 - 50 will be needed to have been completed to gain the sixth charm.

The tasks will become harder and need more tasks be completed per charm.
Once you gain a charm, you reset your tasks completed.
Example; You do the 10 to get your first charm, you now have 0 when trying to get the second charm.

Tier 1
[spoiler]
Ability & Gender tasks will change per pokemon due to obvious reasons.
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 20+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 20+ in X start.
[/spoiler]

Tier 2
[spoiler]
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat and 20+ in another stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 23+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 23+ in X start.
[/spoiler]

Tier 3
[spoiler]
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat and 23+ in another stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 25+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 25+ in X start.
[/spoiler]

Tier 4
[spoiler]
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat and 25+ in another stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 27+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 27+ in X start.
Pokemon must be caught at X location (Only for pokemon with multiple locations)
[/spoiler]

Tier 5
[spoiler]
Find pokemon with 2 confirmed 31's in X stats.
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat and 27+ in another stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 29+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 29+ in X start.
Find pokemon with x gender and 29+ in multiple X stats.
Find pokemon with x ability and 29+ in multiple X stats.
[/spoiler]

Tier 6
[spoiler]
Find pokemon with 2 confirmed 31's in X stats.
Find pokemon with 1 confirmed 31 in X stat and 27+ in another stat.
Find pokemon with x gender and 30+ in X stat.
Find pokemon with x ability and 30+ in X start.
Find pokemon with x gender and 30+ in multiple X stats.
Find pokemon with x ability and 30+ in multiple X stats.
Must be caught with specific pokeball.
[/spoiler]

Final notes
All pokemon that are caught for the tasks you are given are consumed when gave back to the old man.
All pokemon must be your OT.
All pokemon must be caught after the time of being given the task.

The Economy
Allow for the charms to be traded. Players will set the values per how they see fit.
Multiple charms can be owned by one player, but no more than 1 per charm level can be equipped.

Possible way to make this into a money maker, and give players a alternative to payday farming
The npc will have a option to do a random task ( Will not effect the pokemon you are currently hunting )
You can choose what level task you would like to do & the reward will reflect what you choose.

Tier 1 - 5k Yen
Tier 2 - 7.5k Yen
Tier 3 - 10k Yen
Tier 4 - 15k Yen
Tier 5 - 25k Yen
Tier 6 - 40k Yen

You may only complete X amount of tasks per hour until you hit a 90k Yen Cap
This would mean it would be slightly more profitable per hour vs paydaying if you stay devoted the entire time (Not to mention rng might not be on your side) To my knowledge the best a paydayer can do is 70k p/h if they are devoted ?

So yeah that is my idea.
Any feedback ?

The bracelet is the precioussssssssss.
giphy.gif

Edited by Heimann

1.Players with extremely high hours played with no OT will statistically find one sooner.
2.Possibly will stop players from going 1000+ hours with no shiny becoming discouraged.

These are the same thing.

Honestly though (and this is not directed at you specifically Heimann but rather those making suggestions in general), instead of saying "it would make it easier", provide an argument as to why making a particular mechanic easier would benefit the game.

You as an individual are not the same as the game overall.

To use this suggestion as an example - those who have not recieved a shiny after playing for a long time does not have very much to do with the overall health of the game and it's economy.

Rather, the amount of shinies generated over X amount of time and those actively in existance.

The OT/The person it belongs to is irrelevant.

To use this suggestion as an example - those who have not recieved a shiny after playing for a long time does not have very much to do with the overall health of the game and it's economy.

i dont feel like playing 3k hours and getting no shiny is healthy gameplay compared to a new player finding a rare in a matter of hours, making him richer than half the players, 

but thats a story for another time.

i dont feel like playing 3k hours and getting no shiny is healthy gameplay compared to a new player finding a rare in a matter of hours, making him richer than half the players, 

The case that wants to be made there is that you believe the obtaining of a shiny is too RNG heavy, which this suggestion does do to a degree.

And as an opinion that is fine.

I also consider that particular point to be an issue.

These are the same thing.

Honestly though (and this is not directed at you specifically Heimann but rather those making suggestions in general), instead of saying "it would make it easier", provide an argument as to why making a particular mechanic easier would benefit the game.

You as an individual are not the same as the game overall.

Rather, the amount of shinies generated over X amount of time and those actively in existance.

The OT/The person it belongs to is irrelevant.

Flava kinda nailed what I was implying by that set of pros.

If a player goes 1000's of hours and never finds at least 1 OT , that will have a negative impact on their mental drive for playing the game or atleast anything that involves catching.
I'd argue that the players who still do not have a OT with mass hours played matter drastically as they are the veterans of the game & are pillars of the community in most regards.
(Them finding a OT can only bring good, even if its a paras)

I guess I'm saying it is without a doubt better to give players a positive mindset while playing for this mechanic.
If X plays for 3 hours and gets a shiny how will that make a player with 3000 hours feel ? Obviously rng is rng, but there should be a limit, or atleast allow players a chance to improve their luck thus giving them hope.

Sorry if that sounds odd or typos but I'm really tired.

The whole point of shines is to be rare...

You can use that bullshit logic on making a new player richer than half the player in so many massive games.

If you really want a shiny.. just man up and grind.

Edited by KaynineXL

You can use that bullshit logic on making a new player richer than half the player in so many massive games.

theres a difference between rare and 100% luck based,

and no worries i have enough shinies, but 'man up & grind' is a great argument i'll give you that.

This idea is suited to increase the rate at which you find one. Not guarantee , rares will remain rare due to how hard they are to find in the wild & meet the criteria of the tiers.
What do you need to do to get the charms?

Grind. This is just a way to reward people who want to grind for 1 specific pokemon. We all have our childhood favorites that we would love to have in shiny form.

I believe you made this suggestion before somewhere else :p But yeah I really like your suggestion that makes you able to find a specific shiny 'easier' to find. I do think the tasks could be made better though.

What I like about this suggestion in particular is that rare Pokes will stay rare because to get a for example Shiny Metagross Bracelwt 1 you have to farm Beldums, which are already hard to encounrer. It also encourages catchMMO further and gives us a feeling of progression.

I guess staff will need to get out of their hiding hole and come clear about the actual rates for this. Or they just describe it as '2% increase' etc

theres a difference between rare and 100% luck based,

and no worries i have enough shinies, but 'man up & grind' is a great argument i'll give you that.

You just said it yourself.. luck based. That's how it's supposed to be.

What are you getting at with the "i have enough shinies" & "great argument i'll give you that"

I think luck based is perfect. This is my opinion.

We both have different opinions, no need to give me salt about it.

Edited by KaynineXL

You just said it yourself.. luck based. That's how it's supposed to be.

What are you getting at with the "i have enough shinies" & "great argument i'll give you that"

I think luck based is perfect. This is my opinion.

We both have different opinions, no need to give me salt about it.

Maybe you shouldn't react like an ass then next time. Formulate your argument in a normal non-aggresive manner. Thanks.

You can use that bullshit logic on making a new player richer than half the player in so many massive games. (nice examples)

Maybe you shouldn't react like an ass then next time. Formulate your argument in a normal non-aggresive manner. Thanks.

I was gonna reply and say I wasn't using an aggresive manner. I re-read and saw "that bullshit logic" and yes... ok, my bad, but other than that, it's just an opinion.

The idea that old players gain an advantage on encountering shinies is silly to me, just my opinion.

Maybe you shouldn't react like an ass then next time. Formulate your argument in a normal non-aggresive manner. Thanks.

Maybe you should learn from my mistakes. Thanks.

Edited by KaynineXL

The idea that old players gain an advantage on encountering shinies is silly to me, just my opinion.

How ?

If it ever got implemented EVERY player from the start would be on equal footing. Only the players who like to farm would be given the chance to increase the rate.
Edit: The idea I had was to encourage the old players to try catchmmo again. 

Lf statistical analysis of shiny rates

Way back when I started I swore I read it was like 1 in 32k or something like that.

Edited by Heimann

PokeMMO's Wild Shiny rate is the same as handheld, I think, with Donator Status giving a slightly better chance.

While I approve of the idea of a Donator alternative, that isn't a real money transaction, or involving winning officials for RP, I doubt it would be implemented.

A long time ago I believe that was disproved. To my knowledge staff has never officially said what it is, so I can't say for certain.

Huh. Makes sense. Was only going off what I heard/read, so I didn't know for sure.

Now that officials don't provide medium-rarity tradeable shinies I would not be opposed to this. It actually seems like some fun.

So to my understanding, the charm would be set to only 1 species of pokemon at a time?

Yes, until you swap what is in the box at the time of getting the task.
Progress will not be saved per pokemon.
A "Are you sure" would probably be a good idea.

A long time ago I believe that was disproved. To my knowledge staff has never officially said what it is, so I can't say for certain.

Uair back in the old days in thy 2012 hue, he spoke to a dev..or ex dev I don't remember and either showed or told him that the shiny encounter rate was 1 / 32K .

Also I agree on this I know people with 4K+ hours with no OT  shiny and they grind comps , ev train all the time and etc. 

Edited by SneaKyKhaLidA

I'll give some food for thought for you here.

Shinies are the elite of hunting, you find one it give you a bit of a feeling of accomplishment. So, getting one makes you extremely happy, no?

With this method, I can see some problems, and I can see some good things coming from it.

So for the good things I can see right off the bat. This will improve catchMMO a lot more. We would most likely see some prominent results from this, and it gives people who care to participate in this something to do again. Which I can easily see being an improvement for the game in general. Let's face it, for the ones who end up doing everything they feel they can desire to do in PokeMMO, this could bring them around for a little while longer, and in a way, I can see the second point of your post (Being able to do this method as opposed to payday farming) being incredibly enjoyable. I personally love hunting, so I would most likely spend a good portion of all available amounts of my time doing this.

The first method actually makes shiny's more involved in your hunting as well, It'd bring back a bit of excitement for some people as you can be personally doing a ton of work for that one shiny pokemon, and when/if you ever get it, you restart the process, from what I have gathered from reading the thread. Also, it keeps the RNG aspect of PokeMMO around, because while you may be improving your chances, you aren't assuring yourself of getting one, because you still have to hunt. That's the good part of this in my opinion, you hunt, you catch, you spend time doing something.

Now, the biggest cons I can see, and I've seen this in several Pokemon Mmorpgs.

Over inflation. It's happened before here, but due to users being banned, some of it went away. From what i've heard at least.

A lot of games fail in this aspect, because once over inflation occurs, the communitys market eventually gets overcrowded where the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. Think about it logically, if you're hunting Shiny Zangoose for instance, you get six charms after doing 32 hours of grinding for your 6 charms, and you catch the first one in game. Your Shiny Zangoose immediately becomes worth a lot...until someone does the same thing you did and catches another one, and then someone does the same and catches another one. It would take a while, but eventually the value of your pokemon either drops, or skyrockets, because of demand and supply. With your method, this demand and supply jumps really high and makes supply higher by chance, and when people are finding the same shiny faster than before, over inflation happens faster than if this method didn't exist. With this happening, I can imagine some of the richer players who have earned there money will probably buy one, and increase their net worth of in game money, through what they own. This is typically how a lot of community's economys can fail.

Now, I really do like this idea, it makes a lot of sense, and it could potentially work out well, with some tweaks and improvements to the overall idea.

There's my food for though for this thread.

One last thought I had, before I finish this up is, what would having donator status do too this, I can accept having this method of increasing Shiny Rates for one pokemon at a time, but the rate involved shouldn't get too low for any pokemon at all.

Cheers~

Wall of text that I read

Inflation: I don't see this becomming a issue at all since rare pokemon are already difficult to find in the wild & the fact that you would need to match the challenge to even progress. As for medium and low tier pokemon I don't see this hurting them at all in value as they are already commonly found (Players progressing or EV training).

The game gets more and more players everyday, so inflation is bound to occur in one way or another. Plus the % of the playerbase that would be doing this would be realitivly small if I had to guess ( The hunting, not the payday alternative ).

Donator: Was pondering this and really couldn't think of a proper answer to this while I was at home. I'm at work, but off the top of my head I would think something along the line of if you have donator you would be given the option of what task you get in your current tier instead of rng giving you the task. (Choose what type of task, the IV's chosen would still be random)

A lot of games fail in this aspect, because once over inflation occurs, the communitys market eventually gets overcrowded where the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. Think about it logically, if you're hunting Shiny Zangoose for instance, you get six charms after doing 32 hours of grinding for your 6 charms, and you catch the first one in game. Your Shiny Zangoose immediately becomes worth a lot...until someone does the same thing you did and catches another one, and then someone does the same and catches another one. It would take a while, but eventually the value of your pokemon either drops, or skyrockets, because of demand and supply. With your method, this demand and supply jumps really high and makes supply higher by chance, and when people are finding the same shiny faster than before, over inflation happens faster than if this method didn't exist. With this happening, I can imagine some of the richer players who have earned there money will probably buy one, and increase their net worth of in game money, through what they own. This is typically how a lot of community's economys can fail.

This is exactly what I mean.

A shiny can look cool, but fact of the matter is.. if it's not hard to get, it's not as good.

The shinies that are hard to get are the shinies that are the best even if they don't actually look as good.

Edited by KaynineXL