Is Team Preview Healthy?

Is Team Preview Healty?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Team Preview would improve Competitive Gameplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

i would like it to be added as a option for t mode, but then not effect the pve aspect and in pvp have it on a few test tournaments. we do not have enough information imo to make a definitive statement of "this will happen if it gets implemented". it would be very simple to implement. once implemented it could be tested further.

the current mechanics that show seen pokemon could very easily be altered, so if you check the box everything would become "seen" at the start of the battle for both sides.

once it has been tested a decision can be made.

i would like it to be added as a option for t mode, but then not effect the pve aspect and in pvp have it on a few test tournaments. we do not have enough information imo to make a definitive statement of "this will happen if it gets implemented". it would be very simple to implement. once implemented it could be tested further.
the current mechanics that show seen pokemon could very easily be altered, so if you check the box everything would become "seen" at the start of the battle for both sides.

Is there team preview in pve situations in gen 6?

Wouldnt you also need to allow for starter choice?

Is there team preview in pve situations in gen 6?

i have no idea

Wouldnt you also need to allow for starter choice?

yes, never thought of that. damn. will be more difficult to implement then i thought. that being said, i still think it should be added for above reason because even if we choose not to make it part of the comp scene, it would still be used as a gimick tournament, and in unofficials. and ofc possibly a stable in the competitive scene.

I was watching a gen6 battle on showdown and I was like : "oh my god, there are so many mechanisms, so many situations, so many threats in gen6". I could see the utility of Team Preview, because without it it would be a junk pile with blind predicts everywhere.

Then, I was comparing it with PokeMMO and I noticed that we have so many less mechanisms, so I'm not sure at all that Team Preview would be healthy. Since dugtrio has been banned, we have very few trappers : mainly magneton, trapinch and some diglets here and there. In other words, users of Skarm/Foretress have to watch out for magneton, and users of Chansey & some stuff have to be careful about those marginal trappers, which are weak against the whole metagame.

Finally, Team Preview wouldn't be very useful, and even might be unhealthy. Indeed, it might ruin diversity in a metagame where there isn't a ton. People will play less marginal pokemons that can surprise the opponent and everyone will go for more or less the same team.

I was watching a gen6 battle on showdown and I was like : "oh my god, there are so many mechanisms, so many situations, so many threats in gen6". I could see the utility of Team Preview, because without it it would be a junk pile with blind predicts everywhere.

Then, I was comparing it with PokeMMO and I noticed that we have so many less mechanisms, so I'm not sure at all that Team Preview would be healthy. Since dugtrio has been banned, we have very few trappers : mainly magneton, trapinch and some diglets here and there. In other words, users of Skarm/Foretress have to watch out for magneton, and users of Chansey & some stuff have to be careful about those marginal trappers, which are weak against the whole metagame.

Finally, Team Preview wouldn't be very useful, and even might be unhealthy. Indeed, it might ruin diversity in a metagame where there isn't a ton. People will play less marginal pokemons that can surprise the opponent and everyone will go for more or less the same team.

So tru, pokemmo at least should be full gen 4, then we can talk about team preview.

Edited by Sztajger
  • 2 weeks later...

Brahs, idk, but.... I think it should be tested in a PTS, but more than once, because it is something very delicate to study, but c'mon! maybe it can work!

EDIT: less scouting plz.

Edited by Kornelio

So i have been playing hyper offensive for unranked recently, its fun and you either lose fast or win fast so its great for unranked, and i have noticed something. When playing with a hyper offensive team it is hard to get to know your opponents team. Therefore it is hard to know what to sac and what to keep. Threats like gyaradose and aero can crush a hyper offensive team if played right therefor if they are saved for a surprise measure at the end it can be devastating no matter how much you dominate the field. I feel like team preview would help mend this. But then again one upside to hyper O is that people in general do not expect it and figure that once one or two sweepers are down they only have a defensive core to break. Team preview would deff ruin that. What do you guys think?

Based on my experience of pokemmo and gen6, I really think team preview is healthy. 

The first reason i see is that you can, at the beggining, see your opponent's team and therefor analyse it to establish a strategy, a game plan. How many times you figured out at the end of the game you would have played differently if you knew your opponent has this or that poke. It's just stupid not being able to know at the 1st turn what are the threats, the counters and the checks to your pokes and your team. I'd like someone tell me how blind predicts benefit to the game.

Moreover, as you all know, you have to sack things during a game. Team preview allows you to know what you can and can't sack. In the cas you have to sack something midgame, and you haven't seen yet the whole team of your opponent, then, you gotta make a blind predict on what's his last poke. If you sack your check/counter to it, then you lose. Not because you played bad, but because you weren't lucky enough.

And finally, team preview reduces the possibilities of surprise strategies like magneton, belly stuff, sayak sweepers, etc. But those pokes won't be useless and unusables. Magneton is still a big threat when you play skarm or forres, even when you know it's here. Bellyzard and linoone are still big threats, even if you know there're here. But no more "hey guess who's my last i've been keeping hidden : it's sayak heracross and you already sack your priority/weezing/gyara".

EDIT : I also don't get why this would ruin diversity. It would only promote strategic way of battling whereas hidden pokes promote surprise effect. Which is unhealthy.

Edited by Guerinf

Doesn't gen 4 have those and more w/ no team preview?

Yes, though a lot of people view team preview in the same light as the physical special split - a mostly good move for the game that simply came a little late.

Personally I kind of liked that gen 4 didn't have it, since there is something to be said about deducing who your opponents remaining Pokemon are throughout the course of a battle. I'm not passionate about it though, and I definitely see how it could help our meta
  • 2 weeks later...

With the introduction of 4th gen stuff a lot of threats are becoming much more versatile. Heracross has like 4 viable sets, special attackers all have two, some can trick, lifeorb gives a whole new meaning to power houses like gyaradose and blaze. I kind of feel like team preview would be good for the meta because this new power may make it too difficult to scout teams out.

No need for a new thread.

Well that is debatable. There are still pages of discussion that are no longer relevant. But if people are willing to discuss from here on that is fine.

I will begin. As stated by few others above me, the new items represent a power creep, taking our meta much closer to gen 4 that it is to gen 3. Without choice items, a lot of the pokemon have relatively predictable sets, which understandably made team preview give away sursprises straight from the get go. Now however, most pokemon will have a lot of viable sets, be it all out offensive, bulky offensive or setup. Team preview would no longer spoil surprises in my opinion, and would help players come up with a game plan early on. I think it is a much needed addition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Necroing this thread because I just started playing PokeMMO again after taking a break for a few months.

While I'm excited to see that some 4th gen items made it into the game, I think team preview is another feature from later gens which should be implemented as an option for tournament mode.

So is there a possibilty that we can see this soon @Devs ?

Edited by Guest
  • 5 weeks later...

I believe that team preview should be an option along with changeable leads. With the changes in the meta a lot of threats can pose different types of threat to a team. Cb heracross can be threatened by differnt things than swift band one. Also threats that were already scary are even scarier such as gyaradose. You can keep gyara in your back pocket until the opponent's counter/check is gone and bring it out, which is a fine strategy sure but with team preview you can run much more shakey counters to things like gyara, such as ludicolo, and know to keep it healthy meaning there are less restrictions on team building

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.