The Rival System

Ronax

Question

Rivals (Edited)

77e6fbe8b105b914733cd6ec11d482a3.png

When we add friends in game their names turn green so they stand out. But what if you were able to add someone as a Rival?  Instead of the name being green there name would become red!  Like a friends list and a block list a Rival list would appear. 

The Rival system would be more of a way to mark someone who you have deemed a great dueler regardless if you hate them or respect them, and that you would like to duel again because you either get very upset when they beat you or simply see them as an actual Rival in competitive play within PokeMMO.  

Amount of Rivals:

• There might have to be a limit to how many people you may set as a Rival (Let's say 3 for example). This means you would have to choose your Rivals carefully as this title cannot go to just any person you come across in a duel. 

Dueling your Rival: 

• Dueling your Rival would act the same as normal dueling, but the duel could be forced similar to the way Mewtwo works. Just like in the original games, your rival comes out of nowhere and you are forced to duel.

Defeating Your Rival Rewards:

• Upon defeating your Rival, you are given a prize! You would get a set amount of battle points (let say 5-10 for example) In order to receive the prize both players must have at least beat 1 of the 2 Elite Fours. Also, the prize for beating your rival could only received once per day account wide. This way only one character per account may receive the prize to avoid abuse.

Remember becoming a Rival is a mutual thing just like adding someone as a friend. The Rivalry has to be seen in both eyes of the players. So if you don't like the person at all and want nothing to do with them then don't accept the Rival request.

12 answers to this question

1. Upon defeating your Rival you are given a prize! You would get a set amount of battle points (let say 10 for example), but you would only get the prize once per day regardless how many times you duel to avoid abusing the Rival system.
  2. Upon defeating your Rival you would receive a cash prize! This could be either taken from your Rival or just given to you if you win. The cash amount would not be high (lets say 10k for example), but it would be higher then all npc battles so that's decent in my eyes. Again this prize could only be received once a day so be sure to win that first duel!
  3. Why not both?

Yeah, no... Easily exploitable
ex : player vs rival. Rival brings 6 1 level pokemons, player instantly defeats the rival, gets easy cash ( by that i'm considering team members grinding each other out on an extreme level)

ex 2 : daily limit consumed, player switches into an alt account. Repeat first example.
i do appreaciate the little joy it brings but it would be better off without a prize system

Yeah, no... Easily exploitable
ex : player vs rival. Rival brings 6 1 level pokemons, player instantly defeats the rival, gets easy cash ( by that i'm considering team members grinding each other out on an extreme level)

ex 2 : daily limit consumed, player switches into an alt account. Repeat first example.
i do appreaciate the little joy it brings but it would be better off without a prize system

Hmm yeah that is true, but if it was account wide that means only one of the three characters created can get the prize. I still see how this would be a problem, but wouldn't it still be faster to do vs seeker to make money? 

You would have to log in and log out over and over, and that's if you already have the accounts made. I don't see how it would be worth a persons time to make alt accounts to do this.  Also I guess it would be "easy cash" but it's only 10k and If someone is that petty to do that then that's their own choice :/  lol I don't doubt that there are people out there that would do that though but that's no fun xD

Thanks for the input though! I made some changes to the post ;)

Edited by Ronax

Hmm yeah that is true, but if it was account wide that means only one of the three characters created can get the prize. I still see how this would be a problem, but wouldn't it still be faster to do vs seeker to make money? 

You would have to log in and log out over and over, and that's if you already have the accounts made. I don't see how it would be worth a persons time to make alt accounts to do this.  Also I guess it would be "easy cash" but it's only 10k and If someone is that petty to do that then that's their own choice :/  lol I don't doubt that there are people out there that would do that though but that's no fun xD

Thanks for the input though! I made some changes to the post ;)

There is no limitation to create accounts iirc, even so you can just create another e-mail and have another without the need of using it again... that being, you can waste atleast 1-2 hours to reach 100k with NPC battles, or grind it with your rival system that will allow a person to do it in 10 minutes max...

I like this idea, but as some have stated it has issues with abuse. Really love the concept though and even if there are no rewards, I would like to see a Rival List alongside Friendslist(Capable of adding people to both, but the Rival red takes over Green).

Also until Custom Battle Sprites are added, Perhaps Rivals' in-battle sprite could be changed to Gary(Blue).

Semi-Support :) Great idea.

Forcing the player into a duel without their permission sounds a bit unfair. With Mewtwo, there is a good reason to prevent the holder from refusing duels (to keep Mewtwo going around), and they're expected to be prepared to fight for their trophy anyway. If someone is challenged by their rival out of nowhere when they only have their HM slave on them, it's not going to be a fair fight.

Forcing the player into a duel without their permission sounds a bit unfair. With Mewtwo, there is a good reason to prevent the holder from refusing duels (to keep Mewtwo going around), and they're expected to be prepared to fight for their trophy anyway. If someone is challenged by their rival out of nowhere when they only have their HM slave on them, it's not going to be a fair fight.

if that is the case like block/friend, rival status could be removed as well, or if the person does not want to be targeted for a rivalry battle he can always decline. Altho having the HM slaves on them does have a slight set back to it, either it should be forced as a tournament battle for the lolz and not really harming the players current farm. Or as another solution, DND blocking rivarly battle \o/ there u go problem solved

Edited by Malorne

The idea of a forced battle is just like your npc rival he pops out and challengers you. Obviously we know where our npc rival is being that most people have played the game multiple times but I think everyone gets the point. Also these are just some options on how it could work. It doesn't have to work that way that's why I listed multiple options. To be honest I'd be happy with just a rival list and players with red names.

Everyone just start complaining without even saying how good idea it is...its a good idea bro a few changes in that and it might work

Thanks I appreciate it! But since everyone seems to have a huge problem with it when I get home from work I'll rework the whole thread.

I like this idea, but as some have stated it has issues with abuse. Really love the concept though and even if there are no rewards, I would like to see a Rival List alongside Friendslist(Capable of adding people to both, but the Rival red takes over Green).

Also until Custom Battle Sprites are added, Perhaps Rivals' in-battle sprite could be changed to Gary(Blue).

Semi-Support :) Great idea.

There is no limitation to create accounts iirc, even so you can just create another e-mail and have another without the need of using it again... that being, you can waste atleast 1-2 hours to reach 100k with NPC battles, or grind it with your rival system that will allow a person to do it in 10 minutes max...

It would add another dimension to the game. I support this idea.

Everyone just start complaining without even saying how good idea it is...its a good idea bro a few changes in that and it might work

Whole new generation of players, same recycled garbage ideas.

I updated the post. I took out a lot of the extra stuff and kept it easy and simple. I believe a prize/award is still possible with the new way I suggested. I also understand that a prize is still a low possibility, but I still think it would be cool to have. I took out the cash option and stuck with the Battle Points. Battle points are far easier to get by going to the tower so I feel like this shouldn't be an issue.