PokeMMO League

bl0nde

Question

Check this out!!! It's the new PokeMMO League!!

Okay you go to PokeMMO forums and you click "PokeMMO League", which takes you here:

[spoiler]

11m9ftt.png

[/spoiler]

First lets make a team. What should we call it? Okay got it! We click "Team Application" and we make a new post. We write out that we are team eXpertise and want to join the league. The moderator then arranges a time for him to visually see all five team members in game simultaneously (the PokeMMO league requires 5 players minimum to create a team). 

The next day, we meet up and the moderator sees the five of us and our team is approved. That evening, we talked about it together and we looked at "Make A Challege" to decide what ladders we want our team to participate in.

In the same application thread We write out our team description, logo, preferred play times, the ladders we want to play in (one ladder minimum), and who our founders and leaders are (maximum of 6 group leads). We talked about it together and we looked at "Make A Challege" to decide what ladders we want our team to participate in. Here is what you  see when you click make a challenge. You see a list of the ladders we are talking about:

[spoiler]

2s0cnxd.png

[/spoiler]

We decided to join OU 3v3, UU 5v5, and NU singles. We believe this is a large amount for a team of only 5 so we are starting here.

The moderator finished our profile pretty quick later that day and put it in the list of teams. What do you think?

[spoiler]

343kaiq.png

[/spoiler]

Pretty cool, huh? The great thing about this is everyone knows it's officially maintained by the staff so our stats don't lie. See for yourself by clicking on our profile. We are in the top 3 teams and are admired byeveryone in the game. Some even say...we are the best.

The way it works to my understanding is If we join a ladder, we have 14 days to get a match planned and played. That cycle repeats itself. If you miss the 14 day mark, you get warnings then the warnings count as loses then you eventually just get removed. We don't want any of that bad stuff to happen so I better get on that! So I click "Make A Challenge" and look at OU 5v5 to see how this works first before I try to go through it myself.

Okay, here is what I see:

[spoiler]

1z1wbon.png

[/spoiler]

11 teams, huh? I bet we can beat them all. It looks like AC stands for accepting challenges. That doesn't sound too hard. I'll challenge the kangaskhan clan. It says contact admin john doe to arrange a match. John doe is the moderator for 5v5 ou. Alright, I messaged John doe via PM and told him we challenge the kangaskhan clan.

John should put up our thread anytime today so we can get the discussion on. While we are waiting, lets look at a different pending challenges to make sure we know what we're doing. I'll click this game "Black Charizard Legion vs. Bulbsaur Brigade in the pending challenges tab:

[spoiler]

xbh2l3.png

[/spoiler]

Okay, there John Doe displayed these two teams fighting. The charizards are defenders so they get to choose 3 times. Then bulbasaurs get to pick from one of those 3 to meet up for the team game. The rule is one of the times you list has to be a time that the challenger has in their profile. It kind of just helps make it fair.

Only founders and group leads are allowed to post in these threads so it's also pretty orderly. The founding Bulbasaur, brute root, says they will make it for saturday. Okay I scroll down and it says Brute root posted on Friday night that they don't have a 5th player for saturday so they will have to forfeit. Oh I forgot to explain to you:

Win = +1 Up one spot in ladder rank

Lose = -3 Down 3 in ladder rank

Forfeit = -2 down in ladder rank. If you forfeit 3 times it counts as a loss on your record.

When you actually play the scheduled match, Moderators come and go as they please. However most are pretty cool and they show up at least for a bit to make sure everything is cool and no rules are being broken. Usually, everything is confirmed through screen shots at the end. You play the match, take a picture of the clock (with date) and of you winning and then the moderator adjusts the ladder and your teams profile to reflect the win or lose.

To be real with you, what is happening with us is this poser DarkStar and his buddy Twinkle are loners so they play our singles matches. They are both pretty good. We are dominating right now as a team too in OU 5 v 5 with our line up; however, we are about to lose Gigertron2000 because he is going back to school. I've been looking through other teams and new recruits wondering where I'll find a replacement for him. I run a quality over quantity team and the thing is, you can't be in more than one team at the same time. That means there's a lot of loyalty and people don't just leave a team for anybody. On more than one occasion, I have had to get someone who had never played league before to represent us. Sometimes that brings me luck, sometimes not. One thing I have to admit: it does help keep the blood fresh and the game unpredictable.

I'm sure you have a lot of questions about everything because this is so new and exciting to everyone. I hope you had fun watching me set up my team in this new league of PokeMMO. Good luck!

TL:DR I just put this here for thought. It's a very "general idea" type thing since there is way too much exact information to get across in one post. I hope you like the idea of maybe eventually having a ladder league in PokeMMO someday.

Edited by bl0nde

5 answers to this question

[spoiler]

23vl1xs.png

[/spoiler]

Alright, it's just a ladder league. That's the same thing as those numbers in pokemon showdown that show your rank okay?

The only way this is different from pokemon showdown is I incorporated single player duels as well as collective team vs team duels in this idea.

It is explained from the perspective of someone going through the application process and looking through the system. I didn't know how else to explain it except I thought by walking you through it as if you were doing it.

The whole point of it is asking if you (as a community) are even interested in a league/"legit ladder system". Are you content with JJ's ranks in a post as the highest quality ladder ranking system to be seen in PokeMMO? I think many of you are really, which just shows the scale and popularity of this game's competitive scene honestly. I'll leave it up to you guys from here unless I'm asked a direct question, thanks for your time in any case (sincerely).tumblr_m89hhsxYK21qdlkyg.gif

Edited by bl0nde

It would be difficult for staff to keep up with this.  It could be handled ingame or have more moderators.  I love the idea.  I think having to use the forums more than in-game would really upset some people.  Can always have team leads report results like they use to in game battles and if any abusing happens mods and can look into it and wipe the teams progress or ban them for that season/league for awhile.

Also I think a singles ladder system would need to be put into place before a team ladder.