A shift in prizes given for official events.

Squirtle

No ones brought it up yet so I'll just come out and say it: how about a little love for 2nd place? I mean, who is more in need of a breeding care package than the guy (or gal) who just came so close, yet so far?

I know some people like the reward point prizes and that's fine, we'll have to agree to disagree, but I think they're a complete waste. I think a second place prize that looks like tranz's recent first place prize would be appropriate for the poor contender who fell off the summit right before the peak

No ones brought it up yet so I'll just come out and say it: how about a little love for 2nd place? I mean, who is more in need of a breeding care package than the guy (or gal) who just came so close, yet so far?

I know some people like the reward point prizes and that's fine, we'll have to agree to disagree, but I think they're a complete waste. I think a second place prize that looks like tranz's recent first place prize would be appropriate for the poor contender who fell off the summit right before the peak

Agree.

After I feel comfortable with the types and amounts for first place I do want to take a look at second place and give some variety it just isn't going to happen quite yet.

After I feel comfortable with the types and amounts for first place I do want to take a look at second place and give some variety it just isn't going to happen quite yet.

Fine by me.

On a separate note, I'm actually pretty hesitant about shiny comp prizes. I don't have a ton of reasoning behind it aside from a gut feeling, and I'm probably in the minority, but all these other prizes are indirect advantages for tournament winners. Previously, a tourney winner had to sell a shiny prize to get money, then use that money to buy comps, then train and/or breed those comps until they got something they could use competitively. With the new prizes, yeah those breeding materials will undoubtedly help the tourney winner, but it's not just a free advantage - they still have to utilize those prizes effectively to see some sort of reward for them.

With a shiny comp prize, this is not the case. I mean I guess you still have to train/moveset it (potential problem w/egg moves, here, unless shiny breeding eventually becomes a thing, but tahts a whole other issue), but you're just being handed a pokemon that's immediately ready to help out your team. Something just doesn't sit right with me about this - so IMO, I would rather not see comps given out as prizes at all for officials. Am interested in hearing other's opinion on this

The other prizes you listed all sound good to me, though.

Fine by me.

On a separate note, I'm actually pretty hesitant about shiny comp prizes. I don't have a ton of reasoning behind it aside from a gut feeling, and I'm probably in the minority, but all these other prizes are indirect advantages for tournament winners. Previously, a tourney winner had to sell a shiny prize to get money, then use that money to buy comps, then train and/or breed those comps until they got something they could use competitively. With the new prizes, yeah those breeding materials will undoubtedly help the tourney winner, but it's not just a free advantage - they still have to utilize those prizes effectively to see some sort of reward for them.

With a shiny comp prize, this is not the case. I mean I guess you still have to train/moveset it (potential problem w/egg moves, here, unless shiny breeding eventually becomes a thing, but tahts a whole other issue), but you're just being handed a pokemon that's immediately ready to help out your team. Something just doesn't sit right with me about this - so IMO, I would rather not see comps given out as prizes at all for officials. Am interested in hearing other's opinion on this

Actually nvm

Edited by KingBowser

Fine by me.

shut up nerd

Actually nvm

You might have come to the same realization that I did, and it's that turning one of your comps shiny would essentially give away that set everytime you used it. This problem, which I hadn't thought of, might actually balance the comp shiny prizes out a little, and that eases my concern a little about them being too OP of a prize

You might have come to the same realization that I did, and it's that turning one of your comps shiny would essentially give away that set everytime you used it. This problem, which I hadn't thought of, might actually balance the comp shiny prizes out a little, and that eases my concern a little about them being too OP of a prize

Yep exactly what I thought of. Might want to lend out the most op snorlax to teammates and such.

Edited by KingBowser

Shiny competitive pokemon = so much yes :D (perfectly fine with them being untradeable)

still think the uncomp shines of lesser value should be tradeable.

In my opinion I think that shinies (or other cosmetic items/money) are perfect prizes for competitive tournaments.

Whats the point of making comps to join a tourney if the prize is something to make more comps?

Lol shiny comps. Everyone will know exactly what it's running every time. Sure it looks cool, but still.

And what would be wrong with making it 6x31? I mean it can't breed so it won't make more 6x31. And it can't be traded for an obscene amount of yen. If everyone is going to know your set just give a small advantage in the rest of the stats. There isn't THAT much of a difference between a 25-27 and 31.

It's not like a 6x31 starmie is going to beat a snorlax

Lol shiny comps. Everyone will know exactly what it's running every time. Sure it looks cool, but still.

And what would be wrong with making it 6x31? I mean it can't breed so it won't make more 6x31. And it can't be traded for an obscene amount of yen. If everyone is going to know your set just give a small advantage in the rest of the stats. There isn't THAT much of a difference between a 25-27 and 31.

It's not like a 6x31 starmie is going to beat a snorlax

Rain Dance + Hydro Pump... GG laxbrah

a choice would be nice. tournament whatever. prize is choice of:

-A shiny comp poke

or

-B various things worth monies

makes all the people happy but a bit extra work.

As far as being able to choose the first place prize from a list of acceptable ones that might be a possibility if we have enough to choose from I could see the host being able to pick two or three from our list and then the player gets the option from those.

As far as the competitive shinies are concerned we are discussing the possibility of creating blanket IVs of 25 for each stat except 31 speed instead of giving 120 stats for the player to choose.

As i think keith pointed out earlier what of hidden powers? As great as dark (i think) is some pokemon require/thrive of hidden power. Would that just be the price we pay for a badass looking comp?

I think these comps shinies should be real comp and have good stats aslong as it is a gift pokemon anyway it has no value, that godly stats can affect... We already have alot of comps out there which almost got 31 in every stat. If we all should be honest the difference on few iv's in the top of a stats other than speed doesn't not really matter the very very most times in comp even through there can be a big difference on value on these pokes... personal i think it should be 2 stats 31 and rest 25 all of own choice but as someone also stated this can be bad idea because of hidden powers.... so maybe 31/30 in 2 stats and 25/24 in rest of the stats ^^

on side note: most sweepers like 31 atk/sp atk + speed. Some walls would like to have 31 hp + 31def/sp def or maybe they would use 31 on speed if that was more needed, but i think 2*31's would fit to most pokes

Edited by JonazDK

As i think keith pointed out earlier what of hidden powers? As great as dark (i think) is some pokemon require/thrive of hidden power. Would that just be the price we pay for a badass looking comp?

The ability to give Hidden Power is not going to be possible with Gift Competitives so we will most likely be choosing ones that are necessary to have it.

The ability to give Hidden Power is not going to be possible with Gift Competitives so we will most likely be choosing ones that are necessary to have it.

Are you saying you will give out stuff like Jolteon with no Hidden Power, or did I misinterpret?

So no:

Blaziken

Metagross

Gengar

Jolteon

Magneton

P2

All Psychic types

All Fire types

Dragonite

Exeggutor

Sceptile

Vaporeon (meta could shift in a way that HP Electric is norm)

Ampharos

Camerupt

Electabuzz

Electrode

Golduck

Lanturn

Omastar

Magmar

Manectric

Misdreavus

Raichu

Pikachu