[Denied]Parent Sacrifice No Longer

This suggestion is most similar to the new breeding not the old.
I think of this suggestion like this:
You have two sets of steel armour.
You melt them down.
You use the melted metal to craft a new set of steel armour.
You then somehow get the old sets back.
These old sets cannot be melted again as the metal is no longer pure.
In other words. This suggestion takes the pokemon count and multiplies it by 1.5
Whereas, what we have now is the number of pokemon multiplied by .5

The parents aren't erased though.

So by default it's more like the original system.

no...
Orginal system:
2 parents = infinite supply of babies

New system = parents are erased.

Technically it's really a mixture of both, because you can use parents to breed without worrying about their deletion (old system), but can only have one offspring before the parents are rendered obsolete (new system).

But whatevs, it's mainly dependent on how you choose to look at it. ^_^

Allowing you to keep the parents does not achieve what we set out to do with this system; changing the primary method of creating competitives from a system that creates species inflation, to one that deflates by nature - thus allowing for a self-stabilizing economy.

Breeding is objectively the most reliable and best method for obtaining what you want, this is unlikely to change and is the entire purpose of the mechanic.
The problem however, is that the vanilla breeding process does not work in an MMO environment; each time a child is created another species inflates as you now have 2 of what you started with.

Even if the parent was restricted from breeding further, you'd still have 2 of what you started with (except one can no longer breed).
This example would not erase the inflation problem, it just slows it down.

If both the child and the parent are restricted from breeding you run into problems with being able to pass egg moves on via egg move chains, still inflate species to some degree (Although that value cannot be shifted) and still allow players to use their competitive Pokemon to breed something better with little to no downside.

By having the parents consumed, each competitive becomes worth more, players can no longer chuck in their competitives and recieve something good as now one of their competitives is replaced and the other is removed entirely.

What does this accomplish?

• More goods are farmed, and the market becomes more active as there is a constant demand for said goods due to them being consumed (i.e an outflux).
  • Catching becomes a viable aspect of the game, and a new market is opened up between those looking for caught goods and those trading them.
  • Species maintain their rarity as the only way to obtain an additonial version of that species is through catching.
  • More money is taken out of the economy, making it more valuable than before; this is achieved via the new breeding items and because balls are now bought/used far more than they were before.

In short, parent consumption was our starting point when designing the new system and it allowed us to buff various other breeding mechanics to help cater to the players needs whilst turning breeding into an overall positive for the economy.

My only issue with the new system is that I dislike breeding to the core.

My only source of competitive Pokemon was buying UTs.

As of now, I either have to quit competitive, or pay the inflated prices.

I know it's a personal issue, but it makes breeding almost mandatory if you want to be competitive in any way, shape or form.

I agree with Darkshade, but this would not necessarily negate any of that. It's the same system with a more reasonable chance of getting what you'd like, while keeping the same aspects others have grown accustomed to, as Inarin stated above. There's many reasons this could work but I was thinking perhaps sacking could give the option of choosing a sex, and retiring would be RNG as before. Remember this is all just a discussion and I don't necessarily want anything to change, it just crossed my mind. :)

Why can't the parents that have had a baby just not continue to have babies? Parents can only be used to make one egg and then would receive a ribbon similar to the gift ribbon("Retired"). I'm 99% certain the market would not inflate.
1 Baby per Pokemon.
No more death!

Opinions?

Inflation in the economy is not the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Allowing you to keep the parents does not achieve what we set out to do with this system; changing the primary method of creating competitives from a system that creates species inflation, to one that deflates by nature - thus allowing for a self-stabilizing economy.

Breeding is objectively the most reliable and best method for obtaining what you want, this is unlikely to change and is the entire purpose of the mechanic.
The problem however, is that the vanilla breeding process does not work in an MMO environment; each time a child is created another species inflates as you now have 2 of what you started with.

Even if the parent was restricted from breeding further, you'd still have 2 of what you started with (except one can no longer breed).
This example would not erase the inflation problem, it just slows it down.

If both the child and the parent are restricted from breeding you run into problems with being able to pass egg moves on via egg move chains, still inflate species to some degree (Although that value cannot be shifted) and still allow players to use their competitive Pokemon to breed something better with little to no downside.

By having the parents consumed, each competitive becomes worth more, players can no longer chuck in their competitives and recieve something good as now one of their competitives is replaced and the other is removed entirely.

What does this accomplish?

• More goods are farmed, and the market becomes more active as there is a constant demand for said goods due to them being consumed (i.e an outflux).
  • Catching becomes a viable aspect of the game, and a new market is opened up between those looking for caught goods and those trading them.
  • Species maintain their rarity as the only way to obtain an additonial version of that species is through catching.
  • More money is taken out of the economy, making it more valuable than before; this is achieved via the new breeding items and because balls are now bought/used far more than they were before.

In short, parent consumption was our starting point when designing the new system and it allowed us to buff various other breeding mechanics to help cater to the players needs whilst turning breeding into an overall positive for the economy.

You're right. Most of what you said holds true. The old system must have been very destructive to the economy. Though can I ask a question? Exactly WHERE do all the pokemon go? You trade them in and you NEVER see them again. ANYWHERE. They can't all be in a box. He would have run out of room AGES ago. Are they in a pen somewhere? Does he donate to the safari? I haven't seen any dittos there :-/

You're right. Most of what you said holds true. The old system must have been very destructive to the economy. Though can I ask a question? Exactly WHERE do all the pokemon go? You trade them in and you NEVER see them again. ANYWHERE. They can't all be in a box. He would have run out of room AGES ago. Are they in a pen somewhere? Does he donate to the safari? I haven't seen any dittos there :-/

They are returned to there natural habitat, where they can be caught and bred again by some other lucky trainer

He harvests their fluids and refines them into Vitamins, which you all use as steroids.

They are returned to there natural habitat, where they can be caught and bred again by some other lucky trainer

Objection! Wild pokemon never have EV's! The pokemon you trade DO HAVE EVS!

He harvests their fluids and refines them into Vitamins, which you all use as steroids.

TAKE THAT! THIS IS THEIR TRUE FATE!

Objection! Wild pokemon never have EV's! The pokemon you trade DO HAVE EVS!

TAKE THAT! THIS IS THEIR TRUE FATE!

I like how it seems that you think Pokemon actually walk around in the grass. Let's get real here. They are deleted. Simple.

My only issue with the new system is that I dislike breeding to the core.

You can follow the payday guide in the guide tavern for more money if you want. If you do that you can either buy your comps directly or not have to sacrifice your own pokemon. That way you are not involved too much in the breeding system. tumblr_m89hhvn0lr1qdlkyg.gif

Edited by bl0nde

I like how it seems that you think Pokemon actually walk around in the grass. Let's get real here. They are deleted. Simple.

Jokes. They do not always land. But now I wonder what the game would be like if all pokemon used in breeding were released into the wild. I could only imagine the reaction of the guy who is forced to fight a lvl 75 machamp :-/ or perhaps a lvl 64 dugtrio with arena trap.

Edited by loukenshrew