Enough forum posts to be able to participate in a poll

OrangeManiac

Question

Pretty much the title. Everyone talks about how easily manipulated polls can be because players can just make alts to distort the actual consensus of the community regarding something. Well, this could somewhat fix the issues and make the polls be a bit more reliable. In addition this could be combined of being at least a member for x weeks or something like that.

Pros 

- Less manipulated community consensus

Cons

- Possibly take away the voice from people who are active in the game but simply don't like to post much into forums
- Make people write pointless posts just for a voting right

I'm aware that the polls can happen easily by comments but just throwing this out there if this might be a decent enough forum feature to implement. One could say most of the polls have not really had any purpose in the first place but as an idea I think this would make the feature of voting a little reliable.

Didn't find anything like this in Table of Contents so sorry about if it's a duplicate. Anyways, discuss.

8 answers to this question

Pretty much the title. Everyone talks about how easily manipulated polls can be because players can just make alts to distort the actual consensus of the community regarding something. Well, this could somewhat fix the issues and make the polls be a bit more reliable. In addition this could be combined of being at least a member for x weeks or something like that.

Pros 

- Less manipulated community consensus

Cons

- Possibly take away the voice from people who are active in the game but simply don't like to post much into forums
- Make people write pointless posts just for a voting right

I'm aware that the polls can happen easily by comments but just throwing this out there if this might be a decent enough forum feature to implement. One could say most of the polls have not really had any purpose in the first place but as an idea I think this would make the feature of voting a little reliable.

Didn't find anything like this in Table of Contents so sorry about if it's a duplicate. Anyways, discuss.

thats actually what i was thinking too , but you could also consider adding the ingame hours, some people are really really active in game and don't post on forums much because its totall bull shitt (myself) and they would still want to participate in the polls that will affect them

also make polls when they got a new idea instead of sharing the stupid idea once its done, then say they can't undo it because they wasted too much time developing that stupid idea 

Edited by LionKIng

I support this, it will make the poll more reliable and about the people who play the game constantly and don't like to post in the forum then they don't care too much about the game at all and don't have the right to decide about something, if u want to make a change or be part of it then u must participate, that's the way I see it..

Support, maybe this restriction would actually make the staff take polls with more than just a grain of salt. Like you said, they're currently waaay too easy to manipulate, but with this change you're proposing, poll-manipulation would be much more difficult to accomplish.

So all-in-all it sounds like a perfect pretty solid fix, staff pls deliver. 

Edit: Munya brings up a good point, some forum users have multiple accounts that would potentially meet the criteria to vote, and the results could become somewhat skewed that way if they chose to use them all. Not sure how common this occurrence would be though, so if it was uncommon then the results from the poll could still be held as an accurate representation of the communities' ideals.

Edit 2: When I say the "communities' ideals", I'm referring to mostly the forum community, as many players who only play the game and don't have a forum account/use their account infrequently would not be able to have a vote in important polls. This somewhat contributes to an under coverage bias, but it could maybe be worked around somehow?

Edited by Kiliminati

What about IP restriction to 1 or 2 accounts or something like that? Just a thought, not many people who use the same IP address/internet use the forums or at least I would assume they wouldn't if more than one person in a household plays the same game. But then again there is always a way around this with IP changers I guess...  Maybe adding this and the one on his thread as a combo would make it harder to manipulate the polls.

I + 1 this suggestion though.