Is "Shiny Breeding" bad for the economy? (Possible Solution Added)

JoshLindsay10

Also, this shiny breeding thing isn't a big deal imo. It gives shiny traders some gameplay, which I think is good. the market will change, sure, but in an extremely stagnant market like the shiny trading one, this is a good thing. There will finally be differentiation in sales, rather than the same boring shines being shuffled around on a merry go round between all the top shiny traders. Hell, the only departure from this stale market trend was when a noob found an Ot and there was a rush to scam it from him. Is that a healthy market? No. It's time to move forward, and hold speculation until we see results

Edited by NoadHunter
Edited out removed content~

I think this is a good idea, shinnies will be less expensive unless they're comp, in that case, that will double the regular price but at the same time you could just improve a shiny you like, with another that you don't like and has better ivs. I don't know, for me this is not harming, it will be like a cool feature that's all

I think the things you listed in the OP will be the short-term response of the economy. I don't see this as being a bad thing at all, mainly because the economy will fix itself later on and it gives us another form of gameplay, and like Emlee pointed out potential for additional features.

Gotta think long term meng - Joey

I like the change or idea or shinies breeding to give a shiny.

1) It makes the no. of shinies lesser thus increasing the value of a shiny

2) It makes a shiny more useable

From a comp player's perspective, it allows them to use a shiny in battle instead of just having it as their follower sprite. All I see everyday are the same shinies that have been bought and them spammed on trade chat immediately. If that's the case, what's the point of owning a shiny? Just to make profit?

People as it is don't buy a diglett or pidgey or tentacool but if it has decent ivs then people would now have a reason to buy it. Male shinies that people found desirable can still be used as their follower sprite or whatever people used to use them for before the update.

Not to sound like a uguu but I feel like mostly it's the shiny traders who are upset about this since their male shinies will be considered of lower value to someone else who has a female shiny. 

Edited by NikhilR

I think the things you listed in the OP will be the short-term response of the economy. I don't see this as being a bad thing at all, mainly because the economy will fix itself later on and it gives us another form of gameplay, and like Emlee pointed out potential for additional features.

Gotta think long term meng - Joey

Short term impacts will still distance the rich further from the poor

Also, this shiny breeding thing isn't a big deal imo. It gives shiny traders some gameplay, which I think is good. the market will change, sure, but in an extremely stagnant market like the shiny trading one, this is a good thing. There will finally be differentiation in sales, rather than the same boring shines being shuffled around on a merry go round between all the top shiny traders. Hell, the only departure from this stale market trend was when a noob found an Ot and there was a rush to scam it from him. Is that a healthy market? No. It's time to move forward, and hold speculation until we see results

It is a big deal when the gender of a shiny can massively effect its value 

I like the change or idea or shinies breeding to give a shiny.

1) It makes the no. of shinies lesser thus increasing the value of a shiny

2) It makes a shiny more useable

From a comp player's perspective, it allows them to use a shiny in battle instead of just having it as their follower sprite. All I see everyday are the same shinies that have been bought and them spammed on trade chat immediately. If that's the case, what's the point of owning a shiny? Just to make profit?

People as it is don't buy a diglett or pidgey or tentacool but if it has decent ivs then people would now have a reason to buy it. Male shinies that people found desirable can still be used as their follower sprite or whatever people used to use them for before the update.

Not to sound like a uguu but I feel like mostly it's the shiny traders who are upset about this since their male shinies will be considered of lower value to someone else who has a female shiny. 

Majority of my shinies are females so thats not my reasoning behind this post

I think this is a good idea, shinnies will be less expensive unless they're comp, in that case, that will double the regular price but at the same time you could just improve a shiny you like, with another that you don't like and has better ivs. I don't know, for me this is not harming, it will be like a cool feature that's all

Shinies values will rise to meet the pre evo's value IMO

Edited by JoshLindsay10

Short term impacts will still distance the rich further from the poor

It is a big deal when the gender of a shiny can massively effect its value 

Majority of my shinies are females so thats not my reasoning behind this post

Shinies values will rise to meet the pre evo's value IMO

It doesn't really matter, like Gunt pointed out the shiny market is just shit right now. It has always been shit, the only way to make profit is making good deals (almost non existent), scam or rmt. Just like the comp scene makes big changes the shiny market can change too. An economy is supposed to change and right now there is no fucking change in shiny market, ever. So this is a good thing, even if the short-term results are less favorable. Even if females rise in value, males drop in value so that sorta evens it out.

It doesn't really matter, like Gunt pointed out the shiny market is just shit right now. It has always been shit, the only way to make profit is making good deals (almost non existent), scam or rmt. Just like the comp scene makes big changes the shiny market can change too. An economy is supposed to change and right now there is no fucking change in shiny market, ever. So this is a good thing, even if the short-term results are less favorable. Even if females rise in value, males drop in value so that sorta evens it out.

A poor player should be able to benefit from a change just as much as a rich player and the milllions gained will distance the rich as the poor dont have the shinies that will increase in value. so they still have more catching up to do in the long run anyway

Your opinion the shiny market being shit is subjective, Not all change is necessarily good, This change will make the shiny market more top heavy than it already is. because to make a comp shinies you have either got to be:

1. Lucky because you would need to find a decent shiny and breed that with a pretty fucking good common to make the "Comp Shiny"

2. Have the funds to be able to breed to make the comp shinies

Yeah there will be a few more shiny comps but not nearly enough make then only slightly more valuable than a normal shiny IMO and more than likely the rich players will be the people with them too

making good deals (almost non existent), scam or rmt (These will always exist btw)

What's wrong with this? Genuinely asking

Shiny value shouldnt be determined on gender IMO

Not all pokemon have 50-50 gender split, shiny family's with a majority male spawn or 100% males spawn will be dropped considerably overnight

and as far as im aware one of the main reasons this was implemented was for equalization, so that all shinies from the same family would be worth the same, you dont quite achieve equalization if value is determined based on Gender and not species

Edited by JoshLindsay10

No disrespect to anyone agreeing with the new shiny breeding mechanics
But i see noway how ruining a already ruined market will EVEN things out
Just saying

And as josh said , most his shinies (his rares) , are female , he has nothing but other thn ways to gain his overall wealth with this new change in getting shinies

What's wrong with this? Genuinely asking

Sexism , thts wht

I honestly dont see anything wrong with most of the stuff on this thread. This system gives people something else to do with shinies and will separate shinies into tiers (breeders and non breeders). Which will add variety to the shiny trading market.

Idt that the value of any shiny will drop much but mainly the value of some shinies will rise. The reason i say that is because if you have a shiny male ninetales then the value of that male ninetales today was based solely on how badly people wanted that male ninetales to be their follower sprite. That desire wont change. I mean maybe it will drop a little since the goal of getting OT shinies in a certain pokes would now be obtainable (but not with the males) but it wont drop so much that it ruins it as a commodity in the market imo.

Im also not sure how much this will raise the amount of shiny comps you see running around. Comps today are at a whole other level than they were in the solely rng generated comp days (catchmmo). And shiny IVs have always been on par with catchmmo standards not todays standards/ The new breeding system takes so many pokes to be used as a raw material in order to get the desired result i just dont think that there are enough suitable shiny breeder pokes to get a poke that is comp and shiny with this method. So unless this is a stepping stone to something else that has to do with shiny comps (perhaps an easier way to obtain male common shiny breeders) then i dont see shiny comps being a common thing atm.

What this system will mainly be used for imo is just making rare shinys into ur OT rare shiny. Which really defeats the purpose of having an OT shiny if you ask me. To me an OT shiny was special bc it was hard to do. People desired it bc it was such a rare thing that even people who have been on this game for years still havent gotten one *cough* Noadhunter *cough* This sytem will ruin that. But its w/e really. That was just a sentimental value and has very little to do with the actual market. 

Btw i am not a shiny trader what so ever, i just like market discussions.

[spoiler]

Also seriously you guys need to stop with this class gap argument. Its a very poor argument to make. This game is in Alpha and shit happens. Any gaps like that made by any update will close itself over time as the market stabilizes. Development decisions have to be made while thinking about long term stability;  not short term effects.

[/spoiler]

Edited by codylramey

I agree with Josh. I don't agree with this idea. And the whole argument about making shiny comps... I'm sure some people will be able to make a couple of shiny comps, but I wonder if they would be good enough for anything outside of virid battles...

OPINION: I love this idea. Now OT shinies are more obtainable making commons more valuable for breeding or for having a shiny to call their own. Sure some shinies may lose value due to being pre-evo but ultimately every shiny will now have a purpose and not only that but the whole shiny economy will be more expensive since their will be less shinies later due to breeding and holding cuz its your OT. Plus you are going to make profit from a shiny anyway you see fit. It being evolved or pre-evo wont make a huge difference since you can just evolve it. Just maybe the gender and how many on server will determine its pricing in the future.

SUGGESTION: Maybe instead of decreasing a chance of getting a shiny in wild..increasing the chance (JUST A LITTLE MB) may help not totally ruin the shiny economy so that a shiny rattatta wont be 2M in the future( A PREDICTION). Or making more money opportunities in game would help so noobs can afford the new hardcore econ. of shinies.

Acording to PTS update no. 1 breeding gifts like eevee is no longer avaible so breeding starters/togepi/eve/lapras/hitmonleechan/ and many more wont be an option to raise your wallet wealth.

That doesn't apply to those obtained before the update I am pretty sure, and won't apply to those caught in the wild after the update.

Well i read now through some comments, time to give my input:

there is no point to assume that shiny prices will drop, and there wont be much more shiny comps. Getting a comp here would require chainbreeding and if u are willed to input 24 shinies for an less worth outcome ill be mirin.

I dont agree also on the point that male rares will be worthless. Most Shinytraders buy Shinies to trade them again - not to keep them and put their OT on it. Yes i see females raise a bit - but i feel like this new Fake-OTs arent really OTS anymore. For me an OT is connected with getting lucky and bringing a new shiny in the pokemonworld that wasnt there before. Now instead giving the pokemmoworld a new active shiny u remove one (the father via breeding). In my eyes OTs loose their value, not the shinies.

Darkshade argued that shiny prices really depend on heavy RNG (will my shiny have nice ivs and nature to skyrocket its price?) but now we have a form of RNG which gender our caught shiny will be.

In my opinion this overall a  bad change - i literally cant see any sense behind it.

and before ppl say i say that cause of personal loss - imagine the possibilities:

screenshot_1420912166j7pc6.png

baby pokemon ftw :P

welll i still got hope since it only was brought to the PTS server yet, i hope darkshade only wanted to test and get more feedback -.-

overall i dunno, i can see both sides

Edited by Quakkz

screenshot_1420912166j7pc6.png

baby pokemon ftw :P

Damn, good point

Edit : Only thing is, this will cause some trouble in the first weeks, but pretty soon the baby pokemons will be worth something really near the prices of their evos. People aren't dumb enough to overpay for them, I mean obviously some are, but still.

Edited by Draekyn