Phase I; PokeMMO with IV physical/special split (Suspect testing Salamence, Dragonite and Tyranitar)

Phase I of testing will be one of the most critical ones. We can decide if we as players want the split to happen or not. Testing will be done till we can confidently say of the metagame can be healthy enough with a split, or if its simply better than what we have now. Use this thread to discuss the metagame of phase I (potential threats, sets, viability rankings, suspects, viable playstyles you name it).

Testing will be done on Showdown using Gen IV Custom Battles. Some moves will be banned because of their later gen mechanics. Replays might help the discussion and giving people an insight on the metagame. 

Settings:

PokeMMO Pokemon + Hoenn

No Legendaries

PokeMMO available moves

Gen IV moves: disabled

Gen IV items: disabled

Gen IV abilities: disabled

Banned Moves:

Outrage

High Jump Kick

Banlist:

Salamence

Viability Ranking

Rank S: Tyranitar, Dragonite, Gengar

Rank A:  Snorlax, Metagross, Swampert, Gyarados, Flygon, Starmie

Rank B: Hitmontop, Blissey, Skarmory, Forretress

Rank C:

Note: Sandstream has gen Spdef boosting, give your Tyranitar 0 Spdef IVs and a possible -Spdef nature.

I can't join the test till I'm back home around the 8th of January but feel free to begin and discuss. I have experience with this kind of test so I' ll be able to follow it and pretty much know what will be banned and suspected. Let's go!

You can delete ScrubWings'   thread

Edited by ThinkNice

Even with 0 Sp.Def IV's and a -Sp.Def Nature, Tyranitar still has a massively boosted Sp.Def stat. Not only that, but other pokemon like Aero will also get the boost.

Why don't we just use non-Sand Stream Tyranitars?

Also, Gengar being S rank is super pre-emptive, hue.

Yeah we could do that. But we don't know how much other Rock types will be used. I could ban SS but for now we'll see.

I have done this test before and trust me Gengar is ridiculous with STAB SB and WoW (higher accuracy too)

Yeah we could do that. But we don't know how much other Rock types will be used. I could ban SS but for now we'll see.

I have done this test before and trust me Gengar is ridiculous with STAB SB and WoW (higher accuracy too)

Even without other Rock types, the Sp.Def boost on Tyranitar alone is a huge deal. The fact other rock types exist just helps the argument slightly.

Salamence confirmed insanity

rankings:

Sal: Uber

Gengar: S

Tyranitar: S

Dragonite: NU

Snorlax: A

Magneton: A

Dugtrio: A-

Metagross: B

Swampert: A

Starmie: A-

Forretress: B

Skarmory: B+

Blissey: practically useless

Vaporeon: not that good

Slowbro: surprisingly good

Heracross: not present

Overall this was a cool day of testing because stall was greatly limited by the strong physical attackers. Note that pretty much everyone was running DragMagTrio teams.

Edited by Robofiend

salamence/dragonite probably need to go, both have fire moves that can hit forretress/skarmory for massive damage on the switch and put too much pressure on bulky waters as any bulky water is pretty much forced to recover if it comes in on a dragon claw. Dugtrio was underwhelming, possibly due to it being set up bait for salamence once it traps whatever it was intended to. Agree with most of robofiends rankings so far though, maybe decrease rank on starmie since pursuit can really hurt it

edit: I see blissey having some potential as it is the only viable cleric at this point imo (vaporeon pretty much has to run surf/ice beam/wish/protect to counter physical attackers) and can run moves like thunder wave to cripple most switch ins like ttar/snorlax/salamence and chances are none will be holding a lum berry and there aren't a lot of aromatherapy/heal bell users outside of blissey

Edited by BurntZebra

Are we still using gen 6 showdown for this? Or did someone figure out custom gen 4 or whats going on with it?

Use Custom Gen 4, the mechanics are more aligned with PokeMMO than Gen 6 is. There is an option for it when you send a challenge. 

As the current OU master general (3-0, get rekt everyone else), I think you people are focussing too much on Mence. Yeah, Mence is super broken, but let's not forget the brokenness that is Tyranitar, or the poor, ignored Dragonite.

The main problem is that no one has been using Drago so we don't know if it's actually broken. We need to get Mence out of the way before we can see how broken the other pseudo legends are.

The main problem is that no one has been using Drago so we don't know if it's actually broken. We need to get Mence out of the way before we can see how broken the other pseudo legends are.

I mean, I was originally gonna use Dragonite, but Intimidate is so good in a meta where everyone's team is physically attacking, and it outspeeds Dragonite in case anyone runs it, AND can speedtie other mences.

Dragonite is just /slightly/ outclassed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.