The Breeding Guide

Gilan

I have a question about IV ranges.  While confirming IV's, there is the possibility with the IV being 31 when the range ends in 31.  While narrowing/confirming once that range goes from 27-31 to 22-30.  Does this mean that there is no chance for it being a 31 IV?  This is after leveling the poke because it is low level.

I have a question about IV ranges.  While confirming IV's, there is the possibility with the IV being 31 when the range ends in 31.  While narrowing/confirming once that range goes from 27-31 to 22-30.  Does this mean that there is no chance for it being a 31 IV?  This is after leveling the poke because it is low level.

Yes, that does mean that the pokemon does not have the 31. If the next range shows 30-31 then it means that the IV is 30.

How can you be sure a freshly caught pokémon has exactly 31 as a certain IV? I only see stuff like 29-31. Even many levels further it could still display 29-31. Sometimes it even goes back from 31 to 29-31.

if at any point in time it shows a 31 by itself, it means that that IV is 31 (even if it goes back to 29-31). In an upcoming patch the devs will be implementing something to provide more clarity on this subject.

Have you thought about adding a section to pass egg moves?  Just curious, so all the information is in one spot.

Now I have.

I've never really been good with that mechanic though, I've always just "replaced the moves I don't want with moves that won't pass"...

DS commented that they are planning on making a function in the future that will show you the moveset of the baby in advance. But I will see what I can do in the meantime.

No need then!  If it i coming I will wait, you put in enough work already.

if at any point in time it shows a 31 by itself, it means that that IV is 31 (even if it goes back to 29-31). In an upcoming patch the devs will be implementing something to provide more clarity on this subject.

I've been catching quite a few new pokémon lately and I've never seen a 31 straight ahead. It's always 29-31 best-case-scenario. Should I go with those or does 31 really occur?

I've been catching quite a few new pokémon lately and I've never seen a 31 straight ahead. It's always 29-31 best-case-scenario. Should I go with those or does 31 really occur?

depends on the pokemon you are catching. In most cases though, you will want to narrow the IV range down so you know exactly what it is.

I would like to add that when non-braced IVs of parents are averaged and produce a non-whole number (EX: 26 and 31 averaged = 28.5), that decimal has a chance of either being rounded up or down, so the offspring in the example could have an IV in that stat of 28 or 29.

that is not true afaik. a non-whole number from an average will always round down.

I think you misunderstand. I suggest you read the "Mechanics of the Breeding System" numbered list.

[background=#f7f7f7]4. Three IVs are passed down directly from the parents to the child. The other three IVs are then calculated by the averages of the parents, which are rounded down (NO -3/+8 business).[/background]

so, two 6x31's will always produce a 6x31.
I did not know this

I think you misunderstand. I suggest you read the "Mechanics of the Breeding System" numbered list.

[background=#f7f7f7]4. Three IVs are passed down directly from the parents to the child. The other three IVs are then calculated by the averages of the parents, which are rounded down (NO -3/+8 business).[/background]

I must have missed this Edited by PepperPoots

Is it worth training captured lvl 3x-4x with a 29-31 IV just in case is the 31 one? Or only the 30-31 and straight 31 are the good ones?

I train all the pokemon that have a potential 31 regardless of the range. At the very least hold onto them until the devs implement exact IVs mechanics.