The Breeding Guide

Gilan

• 2 weeks later...

I made a forum account to post this. so feel lucky, i guess. 

So I noticed you said that you need a 1:5:10:10:5:1 spread for your 1x31's to make a 6x31. This is not necessarily true. I'm going to assume genderless dittos, to simplify the calculations.
To get a 1x31, you need a 1x31 Ditto. This is fine.

To get a 2x31, you need 2 1x31 Dittos.(1:1 Spread) This is also true. 

To get a 3x31, you will need a (1:2:1 Spread) This too, is true. consider this: one of the skills must be overlapping. there is one, and only one solution. 

4x31 is where it gets tricky. Consider the following: you want to make a 31x HP, Atk, Def, and SpA Ditto (for no other reason than it is the first 4 stats listed)

for this, you need two 3x31s. 

a6rXWGH.png

Merging these two will form a 4x31, and is the 1:3:3:1 spread that you got from a pascal's triangle. However there are two other solutions: 

6DAe3qW.png

which will result in a 1:3:2:2 spread. This is probably much more likely to achieve than 1:3:3:1 spread, as you catch more and more dittos. Another solution might be 

eBh47J5.png

Which will result in a 1:4:2:1 spread. 

Now this is where it gets tricky. you can take any of the three 4x31s from the previous three examples and mix them together. This means there are 6 combinations of merging two 4x31s we have, We can verify this using the combinations formula, where we have 3 options of 4x31s and we need to breed 2 = together, we have:

combinations-repeat-a.png = (3+2 - 1!) /(2!(2!) = 4!/(2!*2!) =  6 possibilities, so our math is right.

extending this same concept to 5x31s yields the following 12 spreads: 

16621 15721 15631 15622 14731 14722 14641 14623 14551 14542 14533 14443

I'm not going to do the 6x31s, because reasons. I'm sure you can figure it out if you want to compute the 78 other combinations. (although some spreads might be repeated)

Edited by PlayLikeNewbs

stuff

Yes, I'm fully aware. Yet if you read the guide for when you get to the creation of the 4x31's...

"Repeat steps 1-3, except make sure that your new 3x31 will have exactly two 31's that overlap with the 3x31 pokemon we made in Step 3. So for this example"

I'm pretty sure that I made it clear that the spreads shown for the example were only 1 of many possible combinations. The main point that was being conveyed and taught was the part about needing 2 IVs to overlap and two that didn't. Expressing more complicated things like you just wrote out (especially the formula), would only serve to confuse the reader.

I appreciate the intent, but I won't be including your work into the front page of the Guide.

Edited by Gilan

Yes, I'm fully aware. Yet if you read the guide for when you get to the creation of the 4x31's...

"Repeat steps 1-3, except make sure that your new 3x31 will have exactly two 31's that overlap with the 3x31 pokemon we made in Step 3. So for this example"

I'm pretty sure that I made it clear that the spreads shown for the example were only 1 of many possible combinations. The main point that was being conveyed and taught was the part about needing 2 IVs to overlap and two that didn't. Expressing more complicated things like you just wrote out (especially the formula), would only serve to confuse the reader.

I appreciate the intent, but I won't be including your work into the front page of the Guide.

nah you don't need to.  i didn't mean to bash your guide, just i saw on the front page you guys were asking about possible spreads, iirc

nah you don't need to.  i didn't mean to bash your guide, just i saw on the front page you guys were asking about possible spreads, iirc

Perhaps I will include a FAQ soon. As this issue has been talked about and responded to more than 4 times (if my memory serves me right), not only on this thread but on the General Discussion breeding threads as well...

Perhaps I will include a FAQ soon. As this issue has been talked about and responded to more than 4 times (if my memory serves me right), not only on this thread but on the General Discussion breeding threads as well...

mmm I think including possible spreads is okay, you're right, you probably shouldn't include the math.

Also, I'm pretty new to the game (a couple of weeks) and I had trouble understanding breeding, even with this guide.(only played red + blue, never did breeding)

I provided you with some of the things I found difficult to understand in red 

So, here are the most important mechanics in the new breeding system:

1. Both parent pokemon are traded away to the daycare couple and will NOT be given back to the player.

2. Two parent pokemon will produce ONE egg (no more, no less). One of each gender, or one gender and a genderless. 

3. An egg will hatch over a period of time (no steps or flags anymore). The length of time depends on the species. You should probably link the egg hatch times guide

I would organize the section 4-9 below in a different way. 

SPECIES: - species is determined by the female, unless a male and a genderless parent was provided

NATURE: - Natures are randomly inherited. E.G. breeding two timid gastlys will not yield a timid gastly. However, one can give an everstone to a parent with a desireable nature to have a 100% chance of passing that nature down to the offspring (the everstone WILL be consumed along with the parents).

ABILITY -  If a pokemon has two potential abilities, then there is an 80% chance that the mother's ability is passed to the offspring. However, the The player is capable of switching a pokemon's ability with a consumable item; thus ability breeding is not a concern at the moment (mechanics for abilities will change in the future as stated here).

GENDER: i'm not sure how the gender is determine, if it is 50/50 or if it depends on each pokemon(some gender ratios are different).But you should add this info. You can choose the gender of the egg for a fee, listed in the spoiler below, which scales with the species' gender ratio (the more unbalanced the ratio, the more expensive).

Spoiler 

IVs:  Three IVs are passed down directly from the parents to the child. The other three IVs are then calculated by the averages of the parents, which are rounded down (NO +3/-8 business). However, One can use a brace, which can be bought from a NPC who resides in each daycare for 15k each, and these braces can be given to a parent to ensure that a specific IV of your choice is passed down to the child (this DOES count as one of the three directly inherited IVs for the child). This section was really good. 

MOVES: 

Egg Moves of the Child pokemon and TM/HM moves will be inherited , in order of priority. Egg Moves > TMs > Learned Moves.

I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of what happens when two parents have the same priority. additional info is needed

I hope that helps. 

Edited by PlayLikeNewbs

how many gameplay hours would you estimate it takes to create a 5 x 31 pokemon?

just curious, it seems like it would take a ridiculous amount of time.

also what's the point of creating the "second" 5 x 31 in the natured part?

couldn't you just breed our original 5 x 31 (from steps 1-9) with the natured 4 x 31 and still get a natured 5 x 31?

Edited by phildobaggins520

Absolutely Brilliant guide, as a returning player I was discouraged by the new method of breeding. But once I read this and found it was no longer a matter of luck but grinding to find 1x31's it gave me hope that I might actually have a 6x31 of my own.

It took me about 2 weeks and literally over 500 wild captures to get the "stock" I needed to make my pokemon. I didn't have any awesome breeder from before, hell I had a single 2x31 which I was a bit sentimental about so I started from scratch.

I now have a perfect 6x31 with the wrong nature... so now I need to do the nature part of the guide.  But Hell yeah having my OT name on a 6x31  feels so nice.

how many gameplay hours would you estimate it takes to create a 5 x 31 pokemon?
just curious, it seems like it would take a ridiculous amount of time.

also what's the point of creating the "second" 5 x 31 in the natured part?
couldn't you just breed our original 5 x 31 (from steps 1-9) with the natured 4 x 31 and still get a natured 5 x 31?

because it's designed to go all the way to a 6x31.

Otherwise, yes. You would use a 5x31 with a natured 4x31 (which you just follow the natured part of the guide for).
  • 2 weeks later...

Is worth doing it a 6x31 jolteon?Also can u do more than 31?in case of starting breeding a 6x31 jolteon should i use dittoes or eevees evolved to jolteons to make it happen???

Jolteon is a mon that need's to make use of it's hidden power, so definitely not 6x31

• 3 weeks later...