The Breeding Guide

Gilan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question, what's the current breeding mechanic for passing on tm's? Is it still male only? I only ask because i'm currently quite poor, and have a very costly set on my first run through Gengar, which is sadly female.

Edited by Nipsirc

Quick question, what's the current breeding mechanic for passing on tm's? Is it still male only? I only ask because i'm currently quite poor, and have a very costly set on my first run through Gengar, which is sadly female.

No moves that can be passed by breeding are gender specific. Tm's pass from both parents, thus you can breed your female gengar and pass the tm's. I think there is still a gender priority, though, so it will pass from one parent before the other and could potentially overwrite the others. Just make sure that you have no more than four moves in total that will get passed, and you're fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Wait... What about for us that don't care about competitive breeding... Can we still breed like normal?

No, there is no other way of breeding. If you don't care about competetive pokemon, you might as well catch your pokemon in the wild (all pokemon ar available in the wild.) There is not really much point of breedingm except for getting baby pokemon, if you are not interested in competetives.

Umm, Do you guys mind letting me know where the "certain" area is?

please go to the appropriate thread for that, which Panda linked above.

This guide is for breeding, not pokemon encounters.

What's the best place to catch growlithes? And also, which stats should be prioritized?

The best place to hunt growlithe is route 8. But since the encounter rate is only 10%, it is highly recommended that you catch other field breeders if you want to breed a growlithe. Untill exact IVs are implemented, I would recommned wailmer (use super rod in Slateport.) Arcanine is one of those pokemon that would like to be 6x31, because it's better of running a mixed set. In OU it is usually run defensive.

Hey im completely new to all this breeding and competetive stuff =)

I'd like to ask where do i start best and where to aim for?

Greez

First thing I would do would be to figure out one of your favorite pokemon that's in the game. Then figure out what its strong points are in competitive battling (I suggest using smogon to get a general idea, even though it's set suggestions may not be very accurate for this game). Then, using those facts, determine the IVs that you would want on it. then you can either farm money (i.e. trainer rebattles with the vs seeker on islands 5-7), or go catch dittos. Then follow the teachings of this guide to help craft your first comp.

Definitely aim for something small first. Get a feel and understanding for how the system works before investing heavily into it, that way you won't lose big if you make a mistake.

Yeah hey =)

Ty for this advise. I tried a little bit with breeding the last day and have some questions about it.

I put two Pokes together, one with 28-31 in Hp and one with 28-31 in Def. Then I took the Product of it and trained it a bit. The two IVs of it changed every level to smth else. At one level it was a single 31 in HP. Can I use this one for breeding a 31 now?

Also I was thinking about getting a Whismur to start with. I caught about 50 or so but not one with a single 31. Is this because its lvl is to low (between 7 and 10) or is it just unlucky? To compare i caught about 10 Duskulls and got 3 with 1x31.

Yeah hey =)

Ty for this advise. I tried a little bit with breeding the last day and have some questions about it.

I put two Pokes together, one with 28-31 in Hp and one with 28-31 in Def. Then I took the Product of it and trained it a bit. The two IVs of it changed every level to smth else. At one level it was a single 31 in HP. Can I use this one for breeding a 31 now?

Also I was thinking about getting a Whismur to start with. I caught about 50 or so but not one with a single 31. Is this because its lvl is to low (between 7 and 10) or is it just unlucky? To compare i caught about 10 Duskulls and got 3 with 1x31.

ah, this is a common misunderstanding. So, if at any point in time it shows 31, it will always be 31 (don't keep the box open when a pokemon levels, or else it goes wacko and you have to close and reopen the pokemon summary). i.e. if at one level the pokemon shows 31 attack, but at the next it shows 28-31 attack, it is still 31 attack, it's just how the game is trying to calculate the number.

So, yes you can use that one to breed a 31 now.

And, You likely did catch a whismur with a 31 in a stat, just narrow them down =P

I know the everstone guarantees the nature will be passed down, but what if you breed two pokemon with the same nature and don't use an everstone?  Is there a better chance of passing down that nature, or is it all just random?

I know the everstone guarantees the nature will be passed down, but what if you breed two pokemon with the same nature and don't use an everstone?  Is there a better chance of passing down that nature, or is it all just random?

it would be random and would not be more likely to be the nature of the two parents.

• 3 weeks later...