Hey Devs.Do u even play this game?

ShinyGligar

eh u said it like its not really fun to u either :P

I guess I will say this, I am in the middle of the road as far as the breeding is concerned. It kills the Uairs in the game, but at the same time, it might be hard for newbies to comprehend. I like this system, but we need more guides before newbs can be interested in the competitive scene again.

I guess I will say this, I am in the middle of the road as far as the breeding is concerned. It kills the Uairs in the game, but at the same time, it might be hard for newbies to comprehend. I like this system, but we need more guides before newbs can be interested in the competitive scene again.

Considering most of the people I've seen have learned how to breed just by reading the dev blogs it can't be that hard to understand.  Once a proper guide is made on the subject on how to get comps (I'm not talking about 6x31s like gilians guide), I think new players aren't going to find it that difficult.  The biggest worry I have is that old breeders aren't going to want to learn something new, and simply wont breed. 

I think if everyone kept an open mind about this update the initial response to it would have been better, but most of the people I've talked to that didn't want this update had reasoning mainly tied with greed and fear.  Some are afraid their breeders that they paid in the millions for are going to be worthless, but that's going to happen anyways with pre-update breeding.  At some point down the line, if we aren't already there, there's going to be too many 6x31s on the market and the price will drop significantly.  
One example of this is back in the day I bred this poke and sold it for a shiny nidoqueen and 1.5m [spoiler] 8LDg0b5.png

[/spoiler]
more recently I bred this and couldn't get an offer above 300k for it
[spoiler] 5MPpXxZ.png

[/spoiler]

Keep in mind I didn't breed these more than 6 months apart in time from each other, but the market had become flooded with better breeders during the time I was gone and caused the second splush to be not even worth selling.  The idea of this isn't to show off my OT breeders or compare them though, it's to show that the ability to sell breeders for a high price has gone down substantially while I was away from this game.  Is that really the kind of game people want to play, where they quit for a few months and come back and everything they own had dropped in price by a large amount?
The pre-update breeding may have been more user friendly in the short run, but in the long run it is bad for an MMO.  Money sinks, item sinks, and all kinds of sinks are necessary to an MMO and I think everyone should read up on these kinds of mechanics before saying new breeding is an awful thing.  All games are hard to learn at first and new players to any MMO are going to have trouble, but at some point this update had to happen to guarantee that the future of this games economy is a bright future. 

Considering most of the people I've seen have learned how to breed just by reading the dev blogs it can't be that hard to understand.  Once a proper guide is made on the subject on how to get comps (I'm not talking about 6x31s like gilians guide), I think new players aren't going to find it that difficult.  The biggest worry I have is that old breeders aren't going to want to learn something new, and simply wont breed. 

I think if everyone kept an open mind about this update the initial response to it would have been better, but most of the people I've talked to that didn't want this update had reasoning mainly tied with greed and fear.  Some are afraid their breeders that they paid in the millions for are going to be worthless, but that's going to happen anyways with pre-update breeding.  At some point down the line, if we aren't already there, there's going to be too many 6x31s on the market and the price will drop significantly.  
One example of this is back in the day I bred this poke and sold it for a shiny nidoqueen and 1.5m [spoiler] 8LDg0b5.png

[/spoiler]
more recently I bred this and couldn't get an offer above 300k for it
[spoiler] 5MPpXxZ.png

[/spoiler]

Keep in mind I didn't breed these more than 6 months apart in time from each other, but the market had become flooded with better breeders during the time I was gone and caused the second splush to be not even worth selling.  The idea of this isn't to show off my OT breeders or compare them though, it's to show that the ability to sell breeders for a high price has gone down substantially while I was away from this game.  Is that really the kind of game people want to play, where they quit for a few months and come back and everything they own had dropped in price by a large amount?
The pre-update breeding may have been more user friendly in the short run, but in the long run it is bad for an MMO.  Money sinks, item sinks, and all kinds of sinks are necessary to an MMO and I think everyone should read up on these kinds of mechanics before saying new breeding is an awful thing.  All games are hard to learn at first and new players to any MMO are going to have trouble, but at some point this update had to happen to guarantee that the future of this games economy is a bright future. 

But also the first wooper was a female.

EDIT: And HP Fire.

Edited by Lolleh

Is it possible that the admins might have a trick up their sleeve? At Jagex we'd get tons of complaints, but then we'd actually put an update out into the open for people to try it and they'd usually like it.

But don't blame me for the failures of RuneScape cause I left before that really got started

But also the first wooper was a female

True, it was more a proof of concept.  You can look at Runescape's economy and see it too.  Armadyl Godswords were worth a huge amount of money and I can't remember the exact price but it was upwards of 50m(don't quote me).  Now you can buy them for 3.2m because due to lack of item sinks there were so many coming into the game and none going out that over time less people needed them and more people were trying to sell them.  This is what'll happen if 6x31s and other godly breeders are coming into the game but not going out. 
Also the thing about godswords is still just a proof of concept, look for information regarding MMO economies if you're not convinced. 
EDIT:: lol'd I didn't know it was HP fire, and the guy I sold it to said he was only using it as a breeder.  Rip spluuush.

Is it possible that the admins might have a trick up their sleeve? At Jagex we'd get tons of complaints, but then we'd actually put an update out into the open for people to try it and they'd usually like it.

But don't blame me for the failures of RuneScape cause I left before that really got started

and dude I was typing this post out and then you posted this, +1 old runescape player o/
also lol @ RS3

Edited by DaftKitteh

and dude I was typing this post out and then you posted this, +1 old runescape player o/
also lol @ RS3

I wasn't a player... I was a developer. I quit around 2008 cause I didn't agree with the next few years of plans they had.

I support your decision, buuuut this thread is about the devs and breeding.  Let's not hijack it with our RS talk. 

I like how you mentioned that updates are sometimes poorly received on paper, but when people get to try it out they feel better about it.  Everyone's afraid of new things, sometimes the best thing to do is just wait until you get the chance then dive in \o/

Daft: "Once a proper guide is made on the subject on how to get comps (I'm not talking about 6x31s like gilians guide)".
(quoting like this cause I'm on my phone).

I plan to add many more sections to my guide, one of them being a more economical approach to breeding, so that it becomes a one-stop-guide for breeding.

P.S. I still don't understan how people see an extra "i" in my name =/

Daft: "Once a proper guide is made on the subject on how to get comps (I'm not talking about 6x31s like gilians guide)".

I plan to add many more sections to my guide, one of them being a more economical approach to breeding, so that it becomes a one-stop-guide for breeding.

mfw old habits gilian
also that'd be great if you did. I love your 6x31 guide even though it's a confusing wall of math stuffs to me and I'm interested to see what you came up with.

quiet giliganx

Most MMO's economy goes to crap over time, you can attribute it to alot of things, lack of new content, the player base learning to manipulate the current content to their advantage, it's rare to see any game where the top tier items  don't eventualy become worth 1/10th of their original values.