Daft opinions on Hoenn/breeding as well as some questions, and thanks to the Devs.

DaftKitteh

if you haven't read the update log https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/49260-public-test-server-release-v4925-dec-30th-2014/#entry963079 read that first

The devs are probably gonna get a ton of hate over this update as it's changing something that we've all gotten used to, and I'm really finding it hard to accept this update as a good thing myself, but from an unbiased and non-greedy standpoint I think this is a good idea.  I always felt the idea of breeding pokemon and throwing them away was against the spirit of the game.  It seems wrong, like having your cat get pregnant and then throwing out all the kittens and keeping the parents because none of the kittens were the color you wanted.  From my understanding of PokeMon it's much more in the spirit of the game to catch your own pokes than endlessly breed them until you get a perfect one. (i've done this many times lol)

I do see some issues with this update log, probably because I don't fully understand it, but I'll do my best to explain/ask these things in detail.  I'd like to go ahead and say I'm not going to ask anything specific about breeding, as others will most certainly do so and get better answers from better questions.

- "Shard costs for certain move tutors have been reduced." it'd be great to know which move tutors they're talking about, but this doesn't effect me yet because I have bad luck with chinchou and don't have enough shards to buy superpowa yet

Darkshade said "

Ah yes, we could probably have been more clear on this;

Every move has been lowered in cost, the scale has been decreased and caps off at a maximum of 3 shards, all other shard costs scale with this change."

- The entire Gift section.  Does this mean it's going to be impossible to breed/get any kind of Eeveelution as they're considered gifts?  The issue I see with this is that pokes that can't be copied means a low supply, and in the case of Eeveelutions and Aerodactyls a high demand.  Are we just going to deal with whatever we get on our playthrough?  The easiest fix I can see to this is an area where Gifted pokemon species were able to be caught fairly regularly.  Swarms seem too unreliable, but it would bring more value to swarms than just praying for a good shiny. 

Refer to next Darkshade says.

- "Level 25 restrictions on Starters have been removed." seems to suggest that starters will be catchable, because "Storyline-given party members are now considered 'Gifts'.  These party members may not be traded and may not be bred." suggest that starters wont be trade-able only if you get them from the story. Does this affect current starters, or is it a "From this point onwards" kind of thing?  I guess I'll actually have to start watching for swarms now.

Darkshade said " That is a 'this point on' sort of thing.  Gift Pokemon now also have renewable sources."

Note:  If anyone wants to troll and say "You only support this update because you're not a breeder", while I may not be the best I have 600+ hours of breeding in my account and a lot of really good breeders that took me a lot of work to get (I bred my own in a time where decent breeders were semi-hard to get).  Having quit around 5-6 months ago and just recently came back, I was upset to see the economy had gotten so much worst, and my then amazing pokes were average by todays standards.  I feel this update will benefit the economy, and make PokeMMO a more fair game to all the players new or old.  CatchMMO ftw.

Also I love to see the bugfixes.  A lot of these issues have annoyed me for a while.  I am excited to learn a new game, and perhaps a more fun one at that.  Thanks to all the Devs, GMs, and CMs who try and make this a better game.

Disclaimer thingy::
If you have any opinions about the update or anything related to this update, I would love to hear them all but please keep it intelligent and friendly. 

Bold letters means it was an edit to clarify some of the questions I had

Edited by DaftKitteh

so instead of throwing the kittens out, now we throw the mama cat out

Give it to a more loving caretaker*

either way this was more of an analogy and serves no real purpose to anything.  I can take it out if it's a big deal lol. 

Also Flava, you're a great breeder and I've looked up to you since I started getting into breeding and your opinion means more than most others to me so I'd love to hear what you think about this update.  (this isn't sarcasm I swear, I tried buying a shuppet from you way back in the day and was amazed at the pokes in your shop)

haha no need to take it out, i was just fooling around mostly.

its a bit early to tell since i havent played it yet, but i have some concerns

ofc the other stuff like cheaper vitamins & no limit, rainfix, focusfix and stuff is nice, but breeding is a huge element to the game/trade/economy/comp scene and im afraid they might have fucked it up, but hey maybe it works out, time will tell.

edit: also DS confirmed wild storyline encounters (like eevee), but no details on how to find them, so thats cool i guess, kinda weird you can't trade the old ones anymore, good for the shiny owners.

Edited by flavajabari

haha no need to take it out, i was just fooling around mostly.

its a bit early to tell since i havent played it yet, but i have some concerns

ofc the other stuff like cheaper vitamins & no limit, rainfix, focusfix and stuff is nice, but breeding is a huge element to the game/trade/economy/comp scene and im afraid they might have fucked it up, but hey maybe it works out, time will tell.

edit: also DS confirmed wild storyline encounters (like eevee), but no details on how to find them, so thats cool i guess, kinda weird you can't trade the old ones anymore, good for the shiny owners.

wasn't sure how angry you'd be over this, but it's nice to see you're keeping an open mind about it lel
all the fixes are great, but I share the same concerns about Hidden Power.  As someone who really just hoped for the best in this category, I can't say much about it though. 
also from my understanding, the "untrade-able" thing will probably be a flag set on newly obtained "Gift" pokemon and only set on the poke that was gifted.  Hopefully this flag wont be placed on existing comps/shinies.

wasn't sure how angry you'd be over this, but it's nice to see you're keeping an open mind about it lel
all the fixes are great, but I share the same concerns about Hidden Power.  As someone who really just hoped for the best in this category, I can't say much about it though. 
also from my understanding, the "untrade-able" thing will probably be a flag set on newly obtained "Gift" pokemon and only set on the poke that was gifted.  Hopefully this flag wont be placed on existing comps/shinies.

yea hiddenpower worries me, i mean people like forfiter got kinda screwed over on this update, its not like hes gonna sacrifice his sickass hp flying breeder in the hopes the offspring will have hp flying to.

and lel i'm not mad, just some concerns but i think thats normal.

yea hiddenpower worries me, i mean people like forfiter got kinda screwed over on this update, its not like hes gonna sacrifice his sickass hp flying breeder in the hopes the offspring will have hp flying to.

and lel i'm not mad, just some concerns but i think thats normal.

im happy I sold my hp flying breeder.  I had a 5x30 31 speed lotad that I bred that I was gonna use to breed dratini, but some random guy asked me for it and said he'd pay 1m for it.  I feel sorry for all the guys that are getting screwed by this, but the only thing im sad about is I'll never finish breeding a 6x31 lotad that I was gonna use to make a 6x31 swampert with :'c
still got 4x31 2x30 wooper though, not sure what I'm gonna do with that lol.  Novelty item I guess.

well i might ve been wrong, if you read this again:

IV inheritance has been rebalanced; 3/6 IVs will be directly passed to the child from either parent. 3/6 IVs will be averaged from the parents' stats. These are decided randomly unless a consumable held item is given to either parent.

with that formula you could make sure what hiddenpower the baby gets, if you do it right?

or am i mistaken?

just gotta make sure how average iv scale up/down, calc it and that should do the trick.

and you can still sacrifice that wooper 1 day to make a god comp.

Edited by flavajabari

IV inheritance has been rebalanced; 3/6 IVs will be directly passed to the child from either parent. 3/6 IVs will be averaged from the parents' stats. These are decided randomly unless a consumable held item is given to either parent.

with that formula you could make sure what hiddenpower the baby gets, if you do it right?

or am i mistaken?

just gotta make sure how average iv scale up/down, calc it and that should do the trick.

spluuush is already a god tier comp
but I mean if you can choose the IVs it /could/ make it easier, but this is getting way to mathematical for me.  My IQ and problem solving skills are gonna skyrocket if I breed for long enough lol.  The new breeding mechanic is probably gonna be all complex math to try and predict.  Also how much are these new consumable items gonna cost?  inb4 everstones are sold from a shop

spluuush is already a god tier comp
but I mean if you can choose the IVs it /could/ make it easier, but this is getting way to mathematical for me.  My IQ and problem solving skills are gonna skyrocket if I breed for long enough lol.  The new breeding mechanic is probably gonna be all complex math to try and predict.  Also how much are these new consumable items gonna cost?  inb4 everstones are sold from a shop

everstone on wild graveler i heard, and the iv brace 25k for now but might change.

i dunno all this its just what i heard, so don't shoot me if im wrong.

- "Level 25 restrictions on Starters have been removed." seems to suggest that starters will be catchable, because "Storyline-given party members are now considered 'Gifts'.  These party members may not be traded and may not be bred." suggest that starters wont be trade-able only if you get them from the story.  Does this affect current starters, or is it a "From this point onwards" kind of thing?  I guess I'll actually have to start watching for swarms now.  Portable TV pl0x!

That is a 'this point on' sort of thing.

Gift Pokemon now also have renewable sources.

- "Shard costs for certain move tutors have been reduced." it'd be great to know which move tutors they're talking about, but this doesn't effect me yet because I have bad luck with chinchou and don't have enough shards to buy superpowa yet

Ah yes, we could probably have been more clear on this;

Every move has been lowered in cost, the scale has been decreased and caps off at a maximum of 3 shards, all other shard costs scale with this change.

everstone on wild graveler i heard, and the iv brace 25k for now but might change.

i dunno all this its just what i heard, so don't shoot me if im wrong.

You're correct on both of those points.

Everstone is also available on wild Geodude.

IV inheritance has been rebalanced; 3/6 IVs will be directly passed to the child from either parent. 3/6 IVs will be averaged from the parents' stats. These are decided randomly unless a consumable held item is given to either parent.[/size]

with that formula you could make sure what hiddenpower the baby gets, if you do it right?[/size]
or am i mistaken?

Now this does sound pretty cool in regards to breeding for hidden power. To be honest, I won't mind the more mathematical approach for being successful with the new breeding process, however I'm sure a lot of other players will unfortunately. Edited by Kiliminati

Now this does sound pretty cool in regards to breeding for hidden power. To be honest, I won't mind the more mathematical approach to being successful in regards to the new breeding process, however I'm sure a lot of other players will unfortunately.

i wouldn't enjoy the process, but the fact that i have a confirmed hp baby makes up for that i guess

Now this does sound pretty cool in regards to breeding for hidden power. To be honest, I won't mind the more mathematical approach to being successful in regards to the new breeding process, however I'm sure a lot of other players will unfortunately.

I already got super complex into my breeding when I was going for 6x31 wooper from near scratch, so this is second nature to me.  I like the idea of actually having to have some skill to breed.  NO MORE 10 YEAR OLD BREEDERS \o/
also darkshade server wipe pls to make it fair

I already got super complex into my breeding when I was going for 6x31 wooper from near scratch, so this is second nature to me.  I like the idea of actually having to have some skill to breed.  NO MORE 10 YEAR OLD BREEDERS \o/
also darkshade server wipe pls to make it fair

yeah and make more ppl quit like they already do maybe if this breeding goes through

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.