Spend It or Save It - tournament format discussion

Hello there everyone, I'd wish you could help me out creating this gimmick tournament format that I would like to give it a go anytime soon. Basically, the idea is that like in Counter-Strike plant and defuse - mode every time you spawn you get money to use which you can decide whether you use it right away or save it for later spawn. (lol I really couldn't come up with better reference)

The same way in this tournament, you would have "credits" to use per every round and you can use it to "buy" yourself a team you can use depending how viable those Pokemon are for the metagame (planned to do with OU). If you decide to use a lower tier team you could save your credits for your next round match.

Basically you would have 100.000 credits to be used for every round. Every Pokemon has different credit prize (in spoiler, up for discussion) and with your credits you build up or "buy" your team (you are using your own comps, just buying your "right" to use them). You can save up to 30.000 credits for the next round and you may exceed your credit count by 10.000 credits / round (not included finals) which makes you have a disadvantage on the next round. The limits to these are that when two friends battle they wouldn't settle the battle using full NU teams making either of the players' benefit for next round to be huge and the exceeding the limit is possible so if when necessary you can still put the Pokemon you need in your team if you're really needing it for your teambuild.

This tournament needs some refs (maybe 2-3 is quite enough) and immidiately after the duel a ref will trade request the winning player so the player cannot "trade to get a fake team" and the player PMs the team to the ref. Now, the problem is that you could ask if the ref leaks the player's team (movesets, nature n stuff).  On this part you just have to trust the ref won't. Alternatively the same second you link the team the player can log off so the ref cannot see the movesets of the Pokemon, for example. The ref puts on the Challonge winning score the players' current credit counter. (-10000 to +30000)

Spoiler for credit prizes for Pokemon. These are based on how viable the Pokemon is in OU metagame, not in its respective metagame (for example low prize for Kadabra which is hardly outclassed to its role by an OU). If a Pokemon is hardly beaten by a lower tier Pokemon it will have a higher price. This is highly up for discussion.

[spoiler]

30k - Snorlax, Blissey, Skarmory, Vaporeon, Dragonite, Salamence, Linoone, Dusclops, Starmie, Aerodactyl
25k - Gengar, Heracross, Alakazam, Crobat, Breloom, Gyarados, Ludicolo (if RD fixed), Kingdra (if RD fixed), Umbreon, Chansey, Slaking
20k - Venusaur, Tauros, Granbull, Espeon, Machamp, Jolteon, Houndoom, Exeggcutor, Weezing, Rhydon, Marowak, Slowbro, Omastar (if RD fixed), Jynx,  Ursaring

15k -  Jumpluff, Lapras, Fearow, Hypno, Claydol, Porygon2, Cloyster, Forretress, Magneton, Arcanine, Charizard, Dodrio, Hariyama, Kangaskhan, Slowking, Scizor

12k - Clefable, Blastoise, Scyther, Steelix, Flareon, Hitmonlee, Vileplume, Tentacruel, Pikachu, Wynaut, Mantine (if RD fixed), Donphan, Smeargle, Lanturn
10k - Nidoking, Ninetales, Quagsire, Hitmontop, Xatu, Sandslash, Poliwrath, Golduck, Electabuzz, Pinsir

8k - Primeape, Nidoqueen, Stantler, Politoed, Shuckle, Banette, Muk, Gligar, Victreebel, Golem, Ampharos, Walrein, Raichu, Misdreavus, Kabutops (if RD fixed)

6k - Glalie, Bellossom, Electrode, Lunatone, Solrock, Rapidash, Vigoroth, Kadabra, Haunter

5k - Octillery, Hitmonchan, Qwilfish, Sneasel, Sharpedo, Azumarill, Girafarig, Magmar, Mr. Mime, Cacturne
4k -  Dewgong, Sableye, Kingler, Piloswine, Arbok, Relicanth

2k - Any other not here mentioned NU Pokemon

[/spoiler]

I'd wish to have some feedback to this idea, like I said I'm planning to host one of these in some weeks to see how it goes.

Edited by OrangeManiac

This tournament idea sounds awesome!

As posted above, you'd need to acquire competent refs that would remain fair and unbiased throughout the event's duration- a few staff members could fulfill this role possibly?

Also, the credit prizes might still need a little adjusting, but I suppose that would be easier to identify by just holding the first tournament and observing what all works and what doesn't. Either way, I can't wait to participate. :)

Edited by Kiliminati

It's similar to the Rental idea from the Battle tents and Battle Frontier from what you say, with the twist of using (for lack of a better term, and to fit the Tent/Frontier idea) BP to rent better Pokemon.

I love the idea, and think it could work nicely. It would just take some time for some players to decide what they want to use.

It's similar to the Rental idea from the Battle tents and Battle Frontier from what you say, with the twist of using (for lack of a better term, and to fit the Tent/Frontier idea) BP to rent better Pokemon.

I love the idea, and think it could work nicely. It would just take some time for some players to decide what they want to use.

Oh wow. I didn't even know about that because Sapphire master race (never played Emerald).

I actually had a similar idea for an Official tournament like this, I asked for feedback on it to certain people (maybe ThinkNice and Senile remember me bringing it up).

You pretty much summed up all the possible drawbacks and how it could be dealt with.

The biggest thing is to balance the prices for each Pokemon, which can be a pain. The list you provided is simple, but looks decent.

Back then I let the idea slide due to the possible drawbacks and balancing prices and went with the "League of Pokemon" event, but it's not buried yet.

In any case, I'd say go for it, I'm curious to see how this would go. ;)

• 4 months later...