[Contest] You Wanna Write About It? A weekly writing competition!

I thought I would give this week a try, it's been years since I have had to do creative writing so don't laugh :x. I'm also 15 words over the limit (oops).

765 words.

[spoiler]

Today's early rays filled me with a sense of overwhelming dread as it forced me to wake up and remember the events of yesterday. A sheer panic forced itself into the centre of my chest as I scrambled up to grab my bag, only placated once I found what I was looking for. Hurriedly I pointed the pokeball towards the floor and a dull red glow filled the room as Chikorita was released. She squinted, confused as to why I had woken her from her slumber, she was the only one left, the others had been taken last night. 

We had all been fooled, every Celadon resident had been at the Game Corner for the "Grand Opening". People and Pokemon had mingled, it was just like every other day, until the rockets had descended upon us. The older, more experienced trainers had tried to fight them off but their numbers were too great. We had watched hopelessly as our cherished Pokemon had been carted off in nets. Anyone who fought back had been quick to feel the wrath of a Zubat's supersonic, leaving them immobilised. I had been dragged home by my Mother, defiant tears staining my face as I begged her to let me go back and try to find my beloved Chikorita. It wasn't until hours later I was woken from a restless sleep to weak whimpers under my bed. I found her curled up in a corner, weak and scared but thankfully unharmed, she had escaped! I had hastily summoned her into her pokeball to conserve her strength and hidden her at the bottom of my bag. 
Chikorita nudged my arm, bringing me out of my thoughts. I gently picked her up and checked her over for injuries, a nasty gash burdened her side that made her wince to the touch. "It's okay," I soothed "I have a full heal in my bag." I reached for my rucksack and emptied out the contents, an unfamiliar box fell out and hit the floor making my room echo. "Wha..." and then I remembered, it was a Mystery Box, I had bought one just minutes before Team Rocket had ambushed us. Carefully I unpeeled the seal and forced the lid open, I froze unblinking. Inside was more money than I had ever seen in my life.

"OPEN UP!" came a screech from downstairs followed by loud bangs on the door that sent chills down my spine. "WE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE YOU ARE HIDING AN ESCAPED POKEMON!" It was Team Rocket, they had found us already, Chikorita cried out in terror. Her cries made me snap out of my own fear and into action, I stuffed the mystery box into my bag and scooped Chickorita into my arms. I forced my bedroom window open and positioned myself ready to jump. My bedroom door crashed open and I felt a strong hand grab the back of my shirt. I squeezed my eyes shut and launched myself out of my bedroom window, wind whipped into my face and I braced myself for the impact. I hit the ground with a dull thud, my shoulder cracked on impact and a hideous twinge of pain made its way down my arm. I scrambled to my feet and sprinted through Celadon City, I just need to make it to the guard tower for Saffron, I urged myself on. Suddenly I was hit behind by a force that launched me forward. I threw myself protectively over Chikorita and waited for the attack to ensue, but it never came.
Daringly, I looked up and saw a Team Rocket officer running away, leaving a fainted Raticate slumped on the floor. "Charmeleon, well done that's enough," a mysterious trainer commanded, I saw a menacing Charmeleon obediantly return to it's pokeball. "Are you okay?" the trainer questioned, pushing his red cap back into position. I timidly nodded and pushed myself to my feet, "Who are you?" I questioned. "I'm Red and I've been on the trail of these Rocket Grunts since I started my journey in Mt Moon." In the distance you could hear the shouts of more Rockets charging towards us, "Don't worry, I've got this! You should go to Saffron, you and Chikorita will be safe there."
As I ran through the guard tower to safety I realised what I would spend my winnings on. Chikorita and I would start our own Pokemon journey, become stronger and catch new Pokemon. I would aim to become as strong as Red and return to Celadon one day and make sure that something like this would never happen again.
[/spoiler]

I thought I would give this week a try, it's been years since I have had to do creative writing so don't laugh :x. I'm also 15 words over the limit (oops).

765 words.

[spoiler]

Today's early rays filled me with a sense of overwhelming dread as it forced me to wake up and remember the events of yesterday. A sheer panic forced itself into the centre of my chest as I scrambled up to grab my bag, only placated once I found what I was looking for. Hurriedly I pointed the Pokeball towards the floor and a dull red glow filled the room as Chikorita was released. She squinted, confused as to why I had woken her from her slumber, she was the only one left, the others had been taken last night. 

We had all been fooled, every Celadon resident had been at the Game Corner for the "Grand Opening". People and pokemon had mingled, it was just like every other day, until the rockets had decended upon us. The older, more experienced trainers had tried to fight them off but their numbers were too great. We had watched hopelessly as our beloved Pokemon had been carted off in nets. Anyone who fought back had been quick to feel the wrath of a Zubat's supersonic, leaving them imobilised. I had been dragged home by my Mother, defiant tears staining my face as I begged her to let me go back and try to find my beloved Chikorita. It wasnt until hours later I was woken from a restless sleep to weak whimpers under my bed. I found her curled up in a corner, weak and scared but thankfully unharmed, she had escaped! I had hastily summoned her into her pokeball to conserve her strength and hidden her at the bottom of my bag. 
Chikorita nudged my arm, bringing me out of my thoughts. I gently picked her up and checked her over for injuries, a nasty gash burdened her side that made her wince to the touch. "It's okay," I soothed "I have a full heal in my bag." I reached for my rucksack and emptied out the contents, an unfamiliar box fell out and hit the floor making my room echo. "Wha..." and then I remembered, it was a Mystery Box, I had bought one just minutes before Team Rocket had ambushed us. Carefully I unpeeled the seal and forced the lid open, I froze unblinking. Inside was more money than I had ever seen in my life.

"OPEN UP!" came a screech from downstairs followed by loud bangs on the door that sent chills down my spine. "WE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE YOU ARE HIDING AN ESCAPED POKEMON!" It was Team Rocket, they had found us already, Chikorita cried out in terror. Her cries made me snap out of my own fear and into action, I stuffed the mystery box into my bag and scooped Chickorita into my arms. I forced my bedroom window open and positioned myself ready to jump. My bedroom door crashed open and I felt a strong hand grab the back of my shirt. I squeezed my eyes shut and launched myself out of my bedroom window, wind whipped into my face and I braced myself for the impact. I hit the ground with a dull thud, my shoulder cracked on impact and a hideous twinge of pain made its way down my arm. I scrambled to my feet and sprinted through Celadon City, I just need to make it to the guard tower for Saffron, I urged myself on. Suddenly I was hit behind by a force that launched me forward. I threw myself protectively over Chikorita and waited for the attack to ensue, but it never came.
Daringly, I looked up and saw a Team Rocket officer running away, leaving a fainted Raticate slumped on the floor. "Charmeleon, well done that's enough," a mysterious trainer commanded, I saw a menacing Charmeleon obediantly return to it's pokeball. "Are you okay?" the trainer questioned, pushing his red cap back into position. I timidly nodded and pushed myself to my feet, "Who are you?" I questioned. "I'm Red and I've been on the trail of these Rocket Grunts since I started my journey in Mt Moon." In the distance you could hear the shouts of more Rockets charging towards us, "Dont worry, I've got this! You should go to Saffron, you and Chikorita will be safe there."
As I ran through the guard tower to safety I realised what I would spend my winnings on. Chikorita and I would start our own pokemon journey, become stronger and catch new pokemon. I would aim to become as strong as Red and return to Celadon one day and make sure that something like this would never happen again.
[/spoiler]

Don't laugh? It's kinda hard to laugh at something so amazing o3o

765 words.

[spoiler]

Today's early rays filled me with a sense of overwhelming dread as it forced me to wake up and remember the events of yesterday. A sheer panic forced itself into the centre of my chest as I scrambled up to grab my bag, only placated once I found what I was looking for. Hurriedly I pointed the pokeball towards the floor and a dull red glow filled the room as Chikorita was released. She squinted, confused as to why I had woken her from her slumber, she was the only one left, the others had been taken last night. 

We had all been fooled, every Celadon resident had been at the Game Corner for the "Grand Opening". People and Pokemon had mingled, it was just like every other day, until the rockets had descended upon us. The older, more experienced trainers had tried to fight them off but their numbers were too great. We had watched hopelessly as our cherished Pokemon had been carted off in nets. Anyone who fought back had been quick to feel the wrath of a Zubat's supersonic, leaving them immobilised. I had been dragged home by my Mother, defiant tears staining my face as I begged her to let me go back and try to find my beloved Chikorita. It wasn't until hours later I was woken from a restless sleep to weak whimpers under my bed. I found her curled up in a corner, weak and scared but thankfully unharmed, she had escaped! I had hastily summoned her into her pokeball to conserve her strength and hidden her at the bottom of my bag. 

Daringly, I looked up and saw a Team Rocket officer running away, leaving a fainted Raticate slumped on the floor. "Charmeleon, well done that's enough," a mysterious trainer commanded, I saw a menacing Charmeleon obediantly return to it's pokeball. "Are you okay?" the trainer questioned, pushing his red cap back into position. I timidly nodded and pushed myself to my feet, "Who are you?" I questioned. "I'm Red and I've been on the trail of these Rocket Grunts since I started my journey in Mt Moon." In the distance you could hear the shouts of more Rockets charging towards us, "Don't worry, I've got this! You should go to Saffron, you and Chikorita will be safe there."
As I ran through the guard tower to safety I realised what I would spend my winnings on. Chikorita and I would start our own Pokemon journey, become stronger and catch new Pokemon. I would aim to become as strong as Red and return to Celadon one day and make sure that something like this would never happen again.
[/spoiler]

Jokes on you, rockets are there too, sucker

[spoiler] really enjoyed it[/spoiler]

Is it ok if we add in something not related to Pokémon in a story about Pokémon?

Serious question btw

Sure, that's completely within the rules. However, one of the judging criteria is how well a story adheres to the given topic, so keep that in mind.

Fera week 2 GO

[spoiler]

Cycling Road stretches on forever in front of us.  Sweat drips down my face, but I don’t bother to wipe it away.  I grit my teeth—I can’t believe how exhausted I am.  Phii, my Espeon and constant companion, brushes her head against my legs.

Supplies, I have to keep reminding myself.  We need supplies. 

There’s nothing left to salvage from Fuchsia.  The PokéMart is empty after our last raid; everything we have to our names easily fits in my bag.  If we’re going to survive, we need to find food, healing items, clothing, and countless other necessities.  The Celadon Department Store is our best option.

A loud screech brings me back to the present, and I jump away from the noise, my fatigue temporarily forgotten.  A Dodrio charges us, his three sets of eyes staring us down. 

Phii stares back, unflinching, and lifts the Pokémon into the air before throwing him back several yards.  Enraged, the Dodrio rights himself immediately, glowing orbs forming inside each of his beaks.

“Tri Attack—watch it Phii!”

Phii easily dodges the beam, and another powerful Psychic leaves the bird in a crumpled heap.

Phii returns to my side, breathing heavily.

“Just a little farther,” I whisper to her.  She’s exhausted too, but we keep moving.

Finally, as the sun begins to set, the gate leading to Celadon comes into view.  Two men in unmistakable gray uniforms lean against either side of the doorway.

“Hold it right there,” one says with a sneer, walking towards us.  The red R on his chest is more than enough to put me on edge, and Phii as well.  I feel her tense at my feet.

Team Rocket isn’t exactly honorable.  It doesn’t surprise me that they’ve taken advantage of the chaos, using it to come out of hiding.  My mind goes to the other five Poké Balls on my belt.  We could easily force our way inside—

“Fee to enter Celadon is a hundred thousand bucks,” the grunt barks, crossing his arms.  “Pay up or turn back.”

I blink at him.  Paper money is completely worthless since the economy crashed, due to disastrous inflation.  What he wants is next to nothing.

I quickly rifle through my bag and drop my money pouch into the Rocket’s hand.  No point in taking out the exact amount.  What I have is more than enough, but it’s worthless to me.  Everyone barters now.

The Rocket doesn’t even bother to count it.  “Go on in,” he says, still smirking.  Phii bristles as we walk past him.

Celadon is worse off than Fuchsia, though it’s less overgrown.  The fountain is filled with trash, and every building has its windows smashed.  The door to the Department Store is torn down, and one step inside tells me it’s already been looted.

We only have one other shot—the Prize Exchange.

With night falling, we easily sneak into the boarded-up building.

Most of the prizes are useless to me.  It’s the Mystery Boxes, I’m after—particularly Enigma Berries.  If we grew some, we would have a small but reliable source of food.

We find bunch of Max Elixirs, a few Lava Cookies, and a PP Max.  I open the lid of the last box and stare, uncomprehending.

It’s money, of all things.

I count the neat little stacks.  Ten thousand, one hundred thousand…

It’s an even one hundred million dollars.

This must have been one of the rarest prizes, but now it’s useless.  I can’t eat cash.  I can’t barter with cash.

But the Rockets collect money, don’t they?

-----

Minutes later, I find a trio of Rockets out on the street near the dilapidated Pokémon center.

I hold up the Mystery Box for them to see.  “Any of you up for a trade?”

They ignore me, pulling out police batons, smirking.

I’ve never asked Phii to attack a human, but she reacts immediately; the Rocket closest to me has his arm psychically ripped backwards.  He falls to the ground, clutching his broken limb.

“Drop everything,” I growl, “or you get the same.”  Phii’s eyes glow ominously.

The two remaining grunts obediently drop their weapons, visibly shaken.

I drop the Mystery Box, filled to the brim with cash.  “You must have a store of supplies—food, healing, other necessities?  I’ll trade you some for all of this.”

I can see the Rockets’ interest peaking.  “Shit yeah,” one agrees.  “We can do that.”

“I want plenty of Antidotes,” I add, idly tracing the scar on my forearm.

[/spoiler]

Word count: 750

Fera week 2 GO

[spoiler]

Cycling Road stretches on forever in front of us.  Sweat drips down my face, but I don’t bother to wipe it away.  I grit my teeth—I can’t believe how exhausted I am.  Phii, my Espeon and constant companion, brushes her head against my legs.

Supplies, I have to keep reminding myself.  We need supplies. 

There’s nothing left to salvage from Fuchsia.  The PokéMart is empty after our last raid; everything we have to our names easily fits in my bag.  If we’re going to survive, we need to find food, healing items, clothing, and countless other necessities.  The Celadon Department Store is our best option.

A loud screech brings me back to the present, and I jump away from the noise, my fatigue temporarily forgotten.  A Dodrio charges us, his three sets of eyes staring us down. 

Phii stares back, unflinching, and lifts the Pokémon into the air before throwing him back several yards.  Enraged, the Dodrio rights himself immediately, glowing orbs forming inside each of his beaks.

“Tri Attack—watch it Phii!”

Phii easily dodges the beam, and another powerful Psychic leaves the bird in a crumpled heap.

Phii returns to my side, breathing heavily.

“Just a little farther,” I whisper to her.  She’s exhausted too, but we keep moving.

Finally, as the sun begins to set, the gate leading to Celadon comes into view.  Two men in unmistakable gray uniforms lean against either side of the doorway.

“Hold it right there,” one says with a sneer, walking towards us.  The red R on his chest is more than enough to put me on edge, and Phii as well.  I feel her tense at my feet.

Team Rocket isn’t exactly honorable.  It doesn’t surprise me that they’ve taken advantage of the chaos, using it to come out of hiding.  My mind goes to the other five Poké Balls on my belt.  We could easily force our way inside—

“Fee to enter Celadon is a hundred thousand bucks,” the grunt barks, crossing his arms.  “Pay up or turn back.”

I blink at him.  Paper money is completely worthless since the economy crashed, due to disastrous inflation.  What he wants is next to nothing.

I quickly rifle through my bag and drop my money pouch into the Rocket’s hand.  No point in taking out the exact amount.  What I have is more than enough, but it’s worthless to me.  Everyone barters now.

The Rocket doesn’t even bother to count it.  “Go on in,” he says, still smirking.  Phii bristles as we walk past him.

Celadon is worse off than Fuchsia, though it’s less overgrown.  The fountain is filled with trash, and every building has its windows smashed.  The door to the Department Store is torn down, and one step inside tells me it’s already been looted.

We only have one other shot—the Prize Exchange.

With night falling, we easily sneak into the boarded-up building.

Most of the prizes are useless to me.  It’s the Mystery Boxes, I’m after—particularly Enigma Berries.  If we grew some, we would have a small but reliable source of food.

We find bunch of Max Elixirs, a few Lava Cookies, and a PP Max.  I open the lid of the last box and stare, uncomprehending.

It’s money, of all things.

I count the neat little stacks.  Ten thousand, one hundred thousand…

It’s an even one hundred million dollars.

This must have been one of the rarest prizes, but now it’s useless.  I can’t eat cash.  I can’t barter with cash.

But the Rockets collect money, don’t they?

-----

Minutes later, I find a trio of Rockets out on the street near the dilapidated Pokémon center.

I hold up the Mystery Box for them to see.  “Any of you up for a trade?”

They ignore me, pulling out police batons, smirking.

I’ve never asked Phii to attack a human, but she reacts immediately; the Rocket closest to me has his arm psychically ripped backwards.  He falls to the ground, clutching his broken limb.

“Drop everything,” I growl, “or you get the same.”  Phii’s eyes glow ominously.

The two remaining grunts obediently drop their weapons, visibly shaken.

I drop the Mystery Box, filled to the brim with cash.  “You must have a store of supplies—food, healing, other necessities?  I’ll trade you some for all of this.”

I can see the Rockets’ interest peaking.  “Shit yeah,” one agrees.  “We can do that.”

“I want plenty of Antidotes,” I add, idly tracing the scar on my forearm.

[/spoiler]

Word count: 750

Dat sequel tho

Great read \o/

Title - Lifting the latches

Damn

stayed up to write this

Seriously not a good story and opting for Fera to win because I suck. So, yeah. Notice all the I's at the end, I rushed it. 593 words btw

[spoiler] At last, I reached the bustling metropolis that is Celadon city; After the painstaking journey through the several towns, caves, and gyms, it was worth it. The sight of seeing such a magnificent city be fold right in front of my eyes was a privilege to watch. As the masses of people swarmed the very streets of Celadon shopping and gambling among themselves, the vibrant and energetic Pokémon did themselves as they raced back and forth the pokémon center, the gym, and to the pond to quench their longing thirst.

As the Sun's blistering rays scorched the fairly peculiar Celadonians, I wondered where to go to first in this bizarre city: was it the shopping mall, the Gym, visit the houses scattered around in Celad -- Eureka! Without a doubt I shall visit the Game Corner. I don't know how my mind could've skipped that considering the RNG gods have always been kind in my favour. I don't think I need to speak for myself when talking about that! I mean, who wouldn't visit the Game Corner first when in Celadon!?

With delight, I walked to the Game Corner, which proved to be a real struggle since the people were not open to move out the way... As I reached the Game Corner I entered the little house next to the Gambling House, which was named Prize Corner. It wasn't decorated much but on the other hand, the interior was much different. TMs such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt were displayed on the wall, with smoke balls and charcoals displayed on the side with prizes scattered on the wall, all with price tags attached. In the middle of the Prize Corner shop, a pit of Pokémon with price tags attached to their names played around with sheer happiness.

One thing caught my eye the most during my experience in the Prize Corner shop... With haste, I rushed to the cashier and pointed to the mystery box. 

He said "It'll be nine thousand PokéYen." It seemed like a good decision at the time, but in the long run, considering I had only ten thousand PokéYen at the time, well, it didn't seem to be, right? I heaved stacks of PokéYen into the Cashier's hands as he looked with a terrified smile. 

There it was, in my very own hands, the box of mystery, luck, and chance, and ultimately jackpots. I stood there, before it, looking at it, the two latches and the question mark placed directly in the middle of the box. I felt overwhelmed with joy but sadness, as if the odds of hitting the jackpot were against me.

I prayed to the RNG gods before lifting the latches:

"The One Box to rule them all,

One Box to find them,

One Box to bring them all,

and in the darkness bind them."

Beads of sweat rolled down my hands and face as I gently lifted the latches. I closed my eyes as the latches were half open.

The latch pulled open and I saw a million PokéYen.

I rubbed my eyes with pure and sheer happiness as I failed to acknowledge what I just did. I cried tears of joy as I looked at the Pokémon in the pit and I bought them all so I can take care of them all. I spent all of my money taking care of all the Pokémon around me as I returned to my hometown, Pallet Town, after a few years. I couldn't have been any happier with the pokémon that I spent my fortunes on![/spoiler]

Hmmm. I didn't ask for it to be removed or anything. Maybe it was moved to his original post for the week? I'll be back from the beach tomorrow, I'll look into it then. It was yet another fantastic week of entries, though. Very excited to judge them!

Question: do you need any kind of donations to help maintain this things before i unload more cash into psl?

I appreciate it, but no thanks. With a small 25k a week prize, I can easily handle this myself...PSL needs the money more.

A side note, I'm just getting home and I'm completely exhausted, so the judging may take just a bit longer this week. Expect to have the results by Tuesday. ALSO, on a similar note, the topic likely won't be out until Tuesday either, but prepare for a 2 week competition and a 1,200 word limit for this next one (which, at the moment, is looking like it'll be a topic unrelated to PokeMMO. hype!)

A side note, I'm just getting home and I'm completely exhausted, so the judging may take just a bit longer this week. Expect to have the results by Tuesday. ALSO, on a similar note, the topic likely won't be out until Tuesday either, but prepare for a 2 week competition and a 1,200 word limit for this next one (which, at the moment, is looking like it'll be a topic unrelated to PokeMMO. hype!)

On the one hand, I am so hyped for more words,

On the other, a non-PokeMMO topic?  Scaryyyyyy.

Just want to clear something up about my contest:

This contest is here for a couple of reasons. First, I'm granting those with creative talent an outlet for that talent, an outlet that has been completely missing from the forums for a long time now (whether it be writing contests, art contests, etc.) Second, I'm giving the community a chance to read some of the really cool stories that fellow community members are able to come up with. This is here for people's enjoyment, whether it be those who enter, or those who just read along. Yes, there is a winner each week, and yes, there will be a master's invitational at the end with a large-scale entry. But at the end of the day, those two reasons are paramount. Why? Because it's my contest, and I said so.

Thus, I won't be deducting points or disqualifying people for going over the word limit. The word limit is like a speed limit. You can go over it a little, but it's there to make sure the entries are reasonably long and don't put too much of a strain on the judges. Likewise, the entry deadline (Friday at 11:59 pm EDT) is also just a "guideline," as people will likely put off working on their entry until the last minute, or won't submit an entry at all, if I didn't set a deadline (Hell, this is how I functioned in college lel). Again, I certainly won't be disqualifying anyone who submits an entry 15 minutes late, 2 hours late, even a whole day late, if they truly worked hard on their entry and it is truly their best work. Why would I? It flies in the face of the 2 main reasons that this competition is here.

Once again, the emphasis is that this is MY contest. If staff would like to host a writing contest, and strictly enforce the rules, they are more than welcome to. But for MY contest, I will be the one enforcing the rules (Unless something violates the rules of the PokeMMO forums...I'm looking at you, Senile and Jay). Thanks! :)