[Contest] You Wanna Write About It? A weekly writing competition!

Those are both kind and sad words. This contest isn't the same without your stories. I don't want to discourage anyone. I could've waited to post but I'm not sure if I could still post it later then. Put a lot of heart into it.

Looking forward to all the entries!

Do it phaggot

Wow much hypocrisy, saying not to discourage anyone but doing it on me

Those feels tho.

Can't you enter even after the extended deadline Fera? Meanwhile I need to work on a blatantly terrible submission.

I can't. Unless I type the whole thing on my phone, I won't be able to. I'm away on vacation. C:
Good luck to everybody!

Change is a tough theme; It was difficult for me to tell an upbeat story about change. So that was one of my goals. I ended up weaving dual themes: 'change' and 'learning to take your time'.

Another goal was to stay within the Poke-realm; Any short stories I write outside of the Pokeverse, I'm too tempted to submit elsewhere </3

The third goal was to get my WC to around 2,000 because it sounds like the judges are hoping for some longer stories to sink their teeth into, perhaps?

Shout-out to HUGZ teammate MadameScarlett for saying something yesterday night that sparked this story idea^-^

"A Joy-less Experience"

[spoiler]

Siara stumbled through the electric eye and the Pokecenter door slid open. "Whew! What a battle," she said to no one in particular while wringing rainwater from her dress. "Aaand we totally need umbrellas." Her loud entrance elicited a few chuckles from the patrons, but not much else.

It was a bit crowded, but there was a dismal tone to this place. It needed some Siara-brand enthusiasm, she decided. Pointing across the room with gusto she said, "Nurse Joy, I need your help. This random uguu froze two of my Pokemon in battle--Two!"

Nurse Joy gave a blank stare. Siara was getting used to such stares from the service receptionists in Kanto, but this one was far more vacant than usual. None-the-less, she presented her six Pokeballs.

"Bliss!" said Blissey as it reached for her Pokemon, but Siara snatched them back.

"No, no," she scolded, "These are for Nurse Joy." The nurse continued to stare off into space. Siara waved her hand. "Nurse Joy? Hellooo?"

Finally, the nurse reached out with a pair of stretchy, rubbery arms ... and managed to drop every ball.

"Um, are you okay?" Sia asked as she went about gathering them up. Wait a minute, she thought. Those beady eyes, that derpy smile.

"Ditto! Ditto!" said the nurse.

Siara face-palmed. She felt embarrassed falling for such a trick, and tried to laugh it off. "Okay, whose idea--Is this a prank show or something?"

"Don't worry about it," said one of the elder patrons in the lounge, sipping a tea. "These other youngins are waiting on her too. The real Nurse Joy is over there." He gestured to the opposite wall. "Don't know what's wrong with her, though."

Sure enough, the real Nurse Joy was curled up, staring out a window.

"How long's she been like that?"

"Oh, few hours, I'd say."

Well, Siara could hardly stand around waiting. She rolled her sleeves and marched on over. "Excuse me," she said, poking the nurse's pink fluffy sleeve.

But Joy didn't even turn her head. "It's raining."

Siara blinked. "Uh, you want me to-?"

"It never used to rain like this," she sighed.

Siara set her Pokeballs on the windowsill, one-at-a-time. "Frozen, frozen, dead, burnt, poisoned, and dead. They need healed."

"Things are changing," said Joy. "The world's changing." The girl's eyes looked tired, sad.

Siara found herself removing her witch hat in earnest. "Don't they ever ... let you out?"

"Sometimes," said Nurse Joy, "when there's judging to be done. And other such events. I'd much rather travel the world like you," she added, "Maybe become a Pokemon Ranger. It's silly, I know."

"No, it's not silly. Just ... talk to your manager or something. Put in your two weeks. But for now these Pokemon need your services."

"You really care about your Pokemon, don't you?"

Siara nodded.

"Then why did you let them go for so long without using an Ice or Burn Heal? Or even an Antidote?"

"Those cost money, and time is money. So let's go-go-go!" But her trio of claps didn't rouse Nurse Joy at all.

"Go behind the counter and do it yourself."

The room grew quiet, save for the occasional roll of thunder and the pitter-pat of rain. To hear a Nurse Joy say such a thing.

"Alright. Fine." Siara hopped the counter and shoved Nurse Ditto aside. "How hard could this be anyway?" She started dropping the Pokeballs into the six moulded indentations.

"They need to be button-up," called Nurse Joy from across the room. "Once they're situated just right, pull the lid closed and press the switch."

"Okay, I get it--Bit like a copy machine, but with a little tune. Dee, dee, dee, doo-dee," Siara sang.

Nurse Joy shook her head. "Sadly, mine doesn't do the song. The manufacturer's manual says something about 'NYI'--Wait!"

"What?"

"Stand up tall and face me."

Sia was caught off-guard, but complied. Nurse Joy had this sudden sparkle in her eye. It was nice to see her happy again.

"Do you have a Blissey on your team?" The nurse held her fingers and thumbs in the shape of a frame.

"Um. Yes I do."

Joy stood up, excited. "Take out your hair please. Just for a second."

Had Nurse Joy gone mad? "I don't think so," protested Siara.

"Please?" she begged. "Please?"

Her eyes were so hopeful, it was hard to turn her down. "Well, I don't see the harm," she said. Sia took out her pigtails and a swell of dark purple hair with pink ends flowed down and settled mid-waist.

"Perfect! You're the same height. You've got the training. You've got the proper Poke-assistant."

"What are you saying?" asked Siara bluntly.

"Trade clothes with me."

"What?!?"

"Please! I want to adventure. Just for one day. Your eyes aren't the same color as mine, and we have to do up your hair, but everything else works! If my manager comes in, just keep your eyes closed and smile--and bow. Oh yes, you have to always smile--or one of my sisters might catch on and--oh--I'd hate to find out an Officer Jenny arrested you."

"This is crazy! Didn't you hear me say time is money?" Sia demanded.

"Oh come child," chided the old man.

"I forgot about you," said Siara flatly.

"This young Missy has saved you time and money nearly every day of her life. The least you can do is repay her with the rest of your evening." The other patrons nodded in agreement.

"But--but--...."

~#~

Several guilt trips later, Sia found herself upstairs, getting her hair dyed a festive pink. Nurse Joy was methodical,  pinning her hair just right for the nurse hat to sit atop her head.

"Let's go over a few things," Joy said over the sound of the blow-dryer.

"M'kay."

"You'll bow to greet each trainer. Sometimes they don't want healing, and sometimes they'll even ask you to heal their Pokemon twice in-a-row. I know that's weird, but--don't ask. You'll say, 'Would you like to rest your Pokemon?'."

"That's the most awkward sentence I've ever heard."

"I know ... but ... just trust me, okay? After you're done, you'll hand the Pokeballs back to them and say, 'We hope to see you again!' Got it? Bright, cheery smiles all around."

Siara hesitated, but acknowledged with a nod.

Their dresses fit each other well, so Sia slipped on the white tights, put on the regulation shoes, and with the apron tied and the nurse hat pinned on, the illusion was complete. Sia looked in the mirror and--save for her arguably evil red eyes--a Nurse Joy was staring back at her.

"Okay," said the true Nurse Joy, "Cross your arms over your waist, one hand over the other, close your eyes, and smile."

Siara did just that.

Joy couldn't help but laugh.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just--If you can manage this for the next six hours or so, I'll be able to have a real adventure. This means so much to me. You have no idea."

"Well, it better," Siara sneered.

~#~

Seven hours of being Nurse Joy and it had become a mind-numbing experience. The monotony of moving the Pokeballs in and out of the machine was compounding with her aching back, and even her cheeks felt sore from all that smiling. "We hope to see you again!" she said more cheerily than was meant. What a sicko that boy was, pre-poisoning his Pokemon before matches like that.

Next in line was a wealthy man in a dark suit wearing sunglasses. "Would you like to rest your Pokemon?" she asked with all the enthusiasm she could muster.

"Where's your Blissey?" he asked. "It's store policy to have an assistant available at all times."

How could I forget?!? "Of course, sir." She bowed and kept her eyes closed tight. This guy must be the manager, she thought. Blissey should be the fifth Pokeball. One, two, three, four... . "Go Blissey!"

"Misdreavus!"

She pulled it back. "Sorry sir! Wrong one." Her Pokeballs had gotten all mixed up from earlier. She opened her eyes briefly to spot the Safari Ball, then closed them again. "Go Blissey!"

"Blissey!"

"That's all well and good, but where's Blissey's nurse hat?"

Siara bowed again. "I-ah-must have left it upstairs, sir."

"There's something different about you, Nurse Joy two-four-six."

Siara laughed innocently. Two-four-six? Did management really keep track of them like this?

"Do you have a cold?" he asked.

"Yes, so I should go home straight away, right?" she said with a hopeful smile.

"And leave the Pokecenter unoccupied?" He laughed. "Don't be silly. Just take it easy and let your assistant take over. That's what she's there for." He turned to leave.

She bowed. "Have a nice day, sir."

He stopped mid-stride and raised an eyebrow.

"W-we hope to see you again," she added hastily.

With that, he nodded and left. What an uguu.

"You're doing quite well," said the old patron. "I must say I'm impressed."

"Shove it old man. This is all your fault."

"It's alright. I know it's not easy being friendly all the time." He shook his head, laughed, then continued sipping his infinite tea.

A familiar boy came running in. This was his eighteenth visit or so. "The elite four whipped me again! I might need to raise my Pidgey to level 100 before I have a chance."

"You again," snapped Siara. "Seriously? In the name of Arceus take my Starmie. Please. Spare your Pokemon the humiliation and torture."

"Um ... thanks ... Nurse Joy?" Perplexed, he ran off. Arceus knew he'd fail again.

Siara wanted to hop the counter and just go. But something stopped her; the thought of how much fun Nurse Joy must be having, and how rough it would be dealing with sunglasses guy if he discovered she wasn't at her station. She couldn't blame Joy for staying out just a bit longer.

Two more hours passed, and oddly Siara found herself beginning to enjoy the job. For some of these Pokemon, she had become their moment free from the abusive hands of bad trainers. She was their safe-haven. Even if their time together was short, she started to feel an attachment to these Pokemon and did Nurse Joy's job as best she could.

Nurse Joy finally did return--She had so much fun that she'd lost track of time. But in the end the nurse decided she was ready to return to her job. She spoke to Siara about how being out in the elements can take its toll on a person, and how some of the trainers were just too ruthless in battle. They had a nice chat, and even shared some tea with the old man. Turned out his name was "Harry". And he, too, had spent his formative years in the service industry.

Siara found herself more resilient to leave than she expected. "Maybe ... I can do this for you again, sometime?"

Nurse Joy simply smiled.

Before she left, Siara looked out the window one last time. It was raining.

She promised herself that, from now on, she'd take better care of her Pokemon.

~END~

[/spoiler]

WC: 1,866

Gunthug, spare me the word limit, I have no such thing as moderation in my dictionary, but, well, I've done my best to hold back.

2218 words. Here it is....my blatantly terrible submission.

'Tis more of a story about a newfound feeling. A change on an outlook of life that will remain in one's heart. This takes place in a fantasy world.

EDIT Spoilered explanation.

[spoiler] So, I don't want to appear like a weirdo, but, well -- this is based off an anime I like with a character that resembles me a lot, and a similar experience I have perhaps been through before. All those fancy places take place in that anime world, and, well, the guy in the POV (me) is a man who lost his heart (well, heart is used as a different term here, but let's just say he's amnesiac) He was a really loved person who lost his heart during work, and his new identity is now a rebel to the country's government. He used to think that it would be impossible for him and the people he wanted to save to experience warmth or love, but his sister never gave up on him despite everything and ultimately managed to allow him to grasp said feeling for the first time. It's kind of sad that he left her (and I had myself a cruel parting such as this), but, well, perhaps it was for the best, and memories, though painful, may bring sweetness inside as well. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I arose from the murky waters of Shark Cape. I had to admit that I was lucky I knew the area well, and lucky enough to escape from Lawrence and his followers unscathed. I'd judged Lawrence wrongly the man nothing more than narrow and selfish; how he collected supporters and ended up sacrificing them for his own personal ambitions, the intention of helping the kin of similar people who had suffered as he did at the hands of the Amberground government nothing but deceit.

Branded a traitor from Reverse, I was dirty, miserable, and alone –and there were people precious to me seemingly unbeknownst of the imminent threat and danger that would befall them. I thought of Roda, my dingo, and her flowered scent, her beautiful purple eyes. I wondered how her sickly state was faring as she was approaching an unknown destination, and wondered if the rest of the non-Spirits were alright as well. I reminisced how I gained my affiliation with them and Reverse. How I witnessed the terrible things they went through. How they were used as playthings and disposed of like trash. How fear and hatred resided in their hearts as a result of the cold experiences that plagued them -- now myself being as disposable as they are. And how I set my heart out of my own pity to help these unfortunate beings however which I can. I'd joined Reverse to help the unfortunate group of people, the ones that could not become spirit- but never expected things to occur in such a terrible way -- to be used and thrown away just like them. As a kin of those rejected monsters, devoid of the need for warmth or kindness. As Noir. Never Gauche.

I thought of what the gatekeepers, Signal and Signaless had informed me during Lawrence's mission.

Lawrence intends to offer those strong hearts to the Cabernet, greatly increasing it's power, and take down the artificial sun.

Possible as it may, Roda and the others wouldn't let themselves be killed by Lawrence, I thought, traversing through a sudden optimism amidst skeptical thoughts, as I surveyed the dull, rocky structures in front of him that made a familiar path towards the west. Yuusari Central wasn't a far walk. I knew what I needed to do. Where I needed to go. Where I'd find answers. Where I'd find help.

Endless minutes of walking led me to Sinner's door. I secretly found it ironic that Gauche's memories would help in a time like this. Ironic how Lag's heart bullet would actually provide even the slightest of hope in such a situation. Doubts surrounded me still; were my actions correct? Would I end up being submitted to the authorities? Or would it be best if I posed as Gauche Suede yet again? Was I now simply submitting himself to the net of justice? Would my efforts end in vain?

The little hope I had in my heart didn't go to waste. I was lucky that Jacob and Sandra spared their curiousity and gave me what I required without too big of a fuss. However, the couple's words still bothered me, to a mild degree. I was no longer Gauche, and that was something I wouldn't go back on. A name bothered me next.

Sylvette.

Sylvette, I allowed the name to wander my mind, awakening memories. The girl who once used to be my sister, the girl who I decieved into believing he returned as her beloved brother and left without a trace when I escaped. The girl whom I threw away without a care in the world, insensitive of the tears that have been shed...just as how Roda and the others were thrown away. No love, no compassion. But that was not the biggest of my concerns, as I crossed that out of my mind.

Be careful out there, Suede. Jacob told me. To be human, you need both life and heart.

The heart you once knew is gone, my words escaped in bare murmurs as I disregarded Jacob's words, hiding my newly gained heart bullet gun, albeit an imperfect one, inside the shadows of my cloak. And even now, I never needed one.

I exited the door and was just about to go on my way.

"Brother!"

I flinched. I turned and stared at the wheelchair bound girl before me, her beautiful yet astonished azure blue eyes staring back. Smoke white hair similar to mine. Her familiar dress. I didn't know how to respond with the coincidental and sudden encounter with Sylvette, as we stood for endless moments locking their eyes at each other as the hour bells rang. I wondered; I could just run off now and hurry to my other matters; but that won't do, Sylvette would easily catch up being who she is. I'll knock her out, I thought again. No, I can't waste a valuable shot from the gun and attract unwanted attention, more or less make myself more of a wanted criminal. But above all, I felt something. Something beyond descriptive words. I found myself strangely attached to the girl before me, a longing feeling residing inside, wanting to stay with her even if it meant just a moment. I was confused -- why was I feeling like this?

We ended up near a fountain a stone's throw away from the shop. I allowed the uncomfortable silence to fill in the space between us, interrupted only by the soothing sound of flowing water and the footsteps of the bypassers as I glanced downward from the high place I was at, staring into space. My calm expression hid my nervousness as I felt my heartbeat intensifying slightly. I didn't know what to say, what I should say. Sylvette should be informed of my deception, I thought, and wondered what she now thought of me – family? Or a hateful person in her life out of the horrible things that I'd done?

"Oh, brother..." Sylvette's voice pierced my thoughts. "You disappearing so suddenly like that," Her voice was soft, a bit cheerful, but in all reassuring. She wasn't sad yet, and she hadn't let go as well. Forgiven, perhaps, of the terrible things I'd done to her. I found this a slightly good sign, but I knew I had to be honest with her one way or the other. "What a shock you gave me..."

She stopped for a moment, and the silence grew disturbing. I desperately hoped for her to say something, to build up the awkward conversation. Anything, I thought. What could I say?

"You are my brother." She began.

I found the courage to turn around at look at her, albeit hesitantly.

"Even if your heart doesn't return..." She continued. "You will always be my brother. Forever and always."

My heart melted somewhere. Regardless of who I was now, I now knew that Sylvette letting go of Gauche Suede would never be easy, more or less even possible. How could I ever explain that to her? I felt the weighty responsibility fall on my shoulders as I stared into Sylvette's adorable blue eyes, filled with hope and plea. A faint smile adorned upon her face. She was expecting something. A response. An answer.

At least I began, turning away and looking downward, at nervousness and at awkwardness. "I am and can no longer..."

"Think of me as your sister?" She interrupted as she drove to my side, the smile gone from her tender face, as I wondered if it was obvious enough -- the truth of that of what I needed to say. "Is it true that it's impossible for you to live as Gauche Suede anymore?"

Yes, I thought. I am no longer the person you think of as your brother, and I doubt I can ever be. But I couldn't be that blunt, not ever. I found myself caring and sensible of Sylvette's feelings, and didn't want to reply with a heartbreaking answer. I wished I need not be honest with the heartbreaking truth. I found myself not wanting to sever another heart, especially not hers. But why? Why couldn't I just get this done and over with? Why would I care.....

"I'm sorry." I replied, somewhat sheepishly. My reply was perhaps terrible, but I secretly hoped it would suffice one way or the other. No matter how much others wanted me to be Gauche, he could not, and will not become him. But a part of Gauche still remained that got onto my nerves and made me vulnerable to hesistance. How could I still care? How could I still...

Her expression drooped at my response. The eyes sparkled, the azure colour dulling as the eyes struggled to keep the water in. Again an uncomfortable silence now formed an invisible wall between us as Sylvette drove to the fountain. I turned. I expected her to cry. To continuously beg of me to come back and never let her go. To witness the heart-melting anguish that I'd inevitably caused her. I waited. Not a sign of shivering was present. Not even a sound from her.

"I see." She finally answered, firmly, startling me. There was bewilderment, amazement and awe in me at Sylvette's smile as she continued. "I understand. After all, once you decide on something, you never change your mind, brother. It's the same way as you left for Akatsuki. I'm sure you have something important going on now..." The smile was mildly sour, but still clear.

I was utterly nonplussed. She could let go that easily? She would accept me as I was?

"But, you know?" The smile vanished, and she was now shivering. I hadn't anticipated wrongly. It was hard for her to accept it. My heart ached slightly as I glanced at her fighting against her sadness and tears. I felt the unknown feeling making my chest uncomfortable and heavy but didn't let it show on my face, which still stood expressionless. I continued to watch her, silently answering her in my heart, connected to hers.

"I'll always...always...be your sister."

I thank you, Sylvette. Gauche would be happy.

"So if you ever feel like returning, you can come back anytime, got it?"

I will, and I am forever indebted.

"I'll make my soup and wait for you."

The warm taste will forever stay in my heart.

"So...so..."

She couldn't continue, and she was blaming herself for not being strong as she wanted to be. To accept her brother's change and get it done and over with. To at least show how much she still cared, without letting the sadness overtake her. But she had failed. She closed her eyes and I approached her. There was hope in her that I could detect, that I would come back and return the love and affection she still had for me despite all that had happened. For us to be happy siblings again.

I squat down, as Sylvette opened her eyes and faced me. With a gentle move, I lunged at the saddened girl as I gave her the only thing I could for now – a hug. It was genuine, and above all warm. Very warm, melting the final traces of my heart, and I sensed the heart Sylvette missed and for what was perhaps the last time she lay on my shoulder -- we cared not about the dirtied clothes I was wearing, not minding the dampness of my clothes that was offset by the moment of irreplaceable warmth we were sharing.

"Thank you...Sylvette." It was a cry from the heart. It was simple and blunt, but true.

"Goodbye..." She breathed.

And I turned, never looking back. And as I left, I could hear the sound of her teardrops -- of great sadness-- to drop on her delicate hands. Once. Twice. Before coming out in flowing rivers.

"Brother..." She couldn't resist any longer and allowed the fountain of salty, sorrowful tears to leak out. I didn't have to look at her -- the most silent of her anguished sobs described enough -- what pain for a girl at that young an age.......

Was that the last time we'd ever see each other?

I never looked back, afraid of the memories that would confound me. I was now surrounded by an array of emotions that were alien to me. My heart felt warm, yet a pang of guilt lingered inside. I felt terrible for doing that. For leaving my own sister...the mixture of emotions was indescribable. Regret. Longing.

Sadness.

Yet I cried one tear -- for the very first time in my life; my amnesiac life. And for what seemed to be the first time in my life, he felt warmth. Compassion.

Love.

So this is what love is like, I thought. The warmth and compassion that links two people together, regardless of circumstance.....to be loved, to be cared....but a first for me.

I wiped off the tear on my right eye, glancing at my dampened hand. Was it of sorrow? Was it of joy? Was I touched? Melancholy? That would be a question I would never know the answer to.

Thank you, my dear little sister... for giving me love. I called in my heart, allowing the final traces of the bittersweet moment to fade slowly and painfully as I headed out into my search. [/spoiler]

EDIT: Did some edits in grammar that I was careless of. Oops.

Alright so I'm gonna explain my entry a little bit

Explanation:

[spoiler]First of all this story I am posting is from a much longer work, a 75+ page work at the moment, and it is based in a world that I created, a few years back, called Kronworld. Yes the name is very bland, but the reasoning for this name comes from my interest in the sport of hockey, specifically the Detroit Red Wings, and the name seemed like the best option to me due to the fact that the alternate captain is named Kronwall, thus Kronworld fit well in my head. As you can tell from the name of the world this story has a hockey side to it, though that is not the sole base of it. The part I am going to post, which has been edited from it's original content due to the sole fact that certain things wouldn't have made much sense and as a whole the reader understands what is going on, but it is directly in the middle of a much larger event which I will explain since it is not fully explained. The main character is a girl in her early 20's whom is named Hunter and she lives in Kronworld. At the beginning of the story their leader, Nick Lidstrom, had disappeared and the other players were searching for him. Hunter became a messenger for the Red Wings and traveled about to various cities to meet with the players. Along the way, she befriended several such as the ones you will see in the story, but eventually they find where Lidstrom has been taken and she is sent off to an arena to try and win Lidstrom as a prize. Although she does win, Bettman-the main villain- does not accept her victory and sends Lidstrom off to another world, which eventually Hunter goes too and almost succeeds in requesting him, but she made a deal with Bettman in the end that lead to her being captured by him and him taking over Kronworld for himself, although the Red Wings were returned Lidstrom. She escapes from Bettman with her good friend Zander who had always been captured and they run off to find aid of the Red Wings once more. The part I have posted takes place after Hunter had found the help of her before befreinded Wings and confronted Bettman for the first time back in Kronworld. During their confrontation, Bettman had seized a few of the Wings, but to his surprise, another team had come to their aid, the Bruins, lead by Patrice. Though their first attempt to dethrone Bettman was a failure and ended in Hunter becoming wounded, they pushed him out of the capital and caused him to run. That is where this part picks up.[/spoiler]

Actual Story:

[spoiler]

"Hunter! Hunter, please wake up! I need you," I could faintly make out. I couldn't make out who the voice belonged to though, but it was definitely familiar. It was hard to figure it out when my head was throbbing in pain and my body ached from all the damage I had taken. I groaned softly and I wrinkled my nose.

"Hunter!?"

It was becoming clearer to me the more I gained consciousness. I was becoming more alert to the sounds around me and my head began to spin.

"Ugh, my head is throbbing," I managed to say. I brought my hand up to my sweat covered forehead and I began to massage it. "How long have I been out?" 

I hoped it hadn't been long. Bettman would have retreated too far away by now if I had been out for multiple days.

"You've been out for a day, but before you freak out, we had to make sure you didn't wake up to close your wounds before they got worse," replied a different voice.

I sat up abruptly and my eyes shot open. My head throbbed at the sudden movement and I whined in pain.

"Take care of this fucking headache already!" I barked, only making it worse.

Finally, my vision came to me and I saw Brad and Patrice on one side of the room while Darren was on the other.

"Here, take these," Brad said as he held a couple of pills out to me and Patrice held out a glass of water. I took down them quickly and pushed myself off the bed, feeling instantly dizzy. Darren made his way across the room and gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders to support me.

"Thanks," I said softly. I paused for a moment before continuing, "So do you know where he went?"

He shook his head and I frowned. "We sent Quincey along with his troops on a search, but we are having no luck so far."

I pulled away from him and I struggled to walk as I my made way over to the entrance of the room deciding to look down the hallway. A man in the hallway caught my eye as he made his way toward me.

"Who are you?!" I growled, stepping out of the room and reaching for my belt, assuming I had a weapon on me.

"Whoa there, calm down. I'm not an enemy. I am one of Patrice's men, Milan. Ask him yourself," the man said.

I glanced back into the room and Patrice nodded while Darren gave me a cold look. It sent a shiver down my spine, but I returned the look.

"Stop assuming everyone is against you! You have more allies than you think and you keep acting like you have to do this alone! You aren't alone! Let us help you!" Darren barked at me.

I could see the anger in his eyes, something I had never seen from him before and it made my body weak.

Milan noticed the sudden change and placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him with big eyes before I pulled away.

"I need to go. I'll go find Quincey and I'll help him on his search. This needs to end now," I mumbled loud enough for Darren to hear. I took one last look into the room and I shook my head "I can't do this Darren. I'm sorry." 

With that, I took off down the hallway. My body ached with every step and I felt that at any moment I would fall over. My eyes burned with hot tears as I walked.

"Ms. Peterson, where are you going?" one of the men asked as I walked past.

I didn't know who he was, but I assumed he was another one of Patrice's men. "I'm going to find Quincey and his troops and to give Bettman hell for what he has done," I replied. He stopped me in my tracks and studied my face. I wrinkled my nose and snapped, "Why do you even care where I'm going?"

A slight frown crossed his lips. "We were all told to keep an eye out for you. That is all ma'am," He responded in a smooth accent.

I raised a brow and shook my head. "They know I'm leaving so don't worry about me," I said sternly.

"Are you sure you should be going out in your current condition?" He asked.

My eyes became cold. "I don't care what condition I am in. I am going out to find Bettman. Who do you even think you are telling me that I shouldn't be going out in this condition?" I growled.

He took a step back when I began to growl. "I am David- one of Patrice's men," he responded. I studied him for a moment, deciding he didn't mean much harm. He was too gentle.

"Well David, I need to go now," I replied bluntly. I turned away from him and continued on.

My mind was set on one thing and nobody would change that. This war with Bettman needed to end and I was the only one that could end it. Either I had to die or I had to kill Bettman. There was no other option.

I found the exit and made my way outside, noticing Henrik and Pavel in the front yard. This must be one of the shelters to protect Nick when needed. There was no other reason that so many of the Red Wings and the Bruins would be here.

The sound of the door closing behind me caught Henrik's attention and he turned to look at me. "Hunter, what are you doing?" he asked curiously.

"I'm going to find Quincey and his troops," I responded.

He gave me a long look and I knew he disapproved. "Hunter, don't do this. You're in no shape to fight," he told me as he gently placed a hand on my shoulder.

How was I suppose to tell him off? I respected Henrik too much to disobey him, yet I needed to for the sake of ending this war. I had to be selfish. "Hank, I have to go and fight. This chaos needs to come to an end and only I can end it," I told him.

"If you must go at least let us come with you. You're in no shape to travel alone and you don't even have a clue where Quincey is, but I do," Henrik said in a calm voice.

I couldn't deny company was probably something I could use. "And you know you want to spend time with us," Pavel piped up with a smirk on his lips.

I looked at the Russian and rolled my eyes. "Let's head out then," I said. I looked from Henrik to Pavel and they both nodded. I knew I was going to be fine with these two at my side. I couldn't find two more reliable men.

"Wait, don't leave!" called out a voice from behind us.

I whipped around to see who was trying to stop us now and I saw Johan trotting out the door with Valtteri and Jimmy close behind. "Friends stick together now don't that?" Jimmy said.

I looked at them in disbelief, but smiled nonetheless. "You tell me- do you really want to stick with me through this?" I asked.

The three of them nodded and smiled back. "Friends through thick and thin. You can't shake us off that easily," Valtteri told me as he ruffled my hair.

"We should probably leave before it gets too dark out. The last thing we need to do it travel at night around here," Henrik pointed out.

I gave a slight nod and turned back around. "No turning back now boys. We are a unit. If we run into trouble no running away. We fight no matter what. We leave nobody behind from this point on," I said sternly. No man left behind was my policy. I knew they wouldn't leave me behind and I wouldn't leave them behind either.

We walked through the outskirts of Perfection, keeping low for now. We didn't need to draw any attention to ourselves, since if anyone was going to get rid of someone for all these problems, they would pick me. I knew people in Kronworld were against me for all that was happening even though I couldn't have prevented it. I had tried to stop it from happening, yet I was to blame for the problem. They would rather see me dead than have this war rage on.

That thought bothered me, but there was nothing I could do to change the minds of people I had no control over. Once Bettman was gone, people would see me in a different light.

"Hunter, how are you holding up?" Johan asked, snapping my train of thought.

I looked at him, guessing I looked pained. My body definitely ached, especially my upper body, but I had managed to hold up through it all.

"I'm doing alright, I guess. My body aches, but I'm still moving along," I replied. For most of this trip thus far we all had been silent, not a word had been spoken up to this point. I didn't mind the silence, but it was strange for me to see these men silent.

"Here, I'll carry you if your body aches," the big Swedish man offered.

I shrugged my shoulders, which only caused pain to surge through my body. He offered his back to me and I hopped on,  like I had before when I first traveled alongside him. That seemed so long ago now.

My arms wrapped around his neck gently and I rested my head against his neck. "Just like old times," He mumbled softly. I smiled and gave a small nod. "Yeah just like old times."

As I sat there, I thought of how much I had changed from day one of this adventure. I was timid and scared, but now I faced my fears and never ran away, instead I ran into trouble. In my mind, I had become a monster, but was I really that?

This world needed a hero, one to find Nick, and I not only risked my life multiple times for our leader, but I was willing to chase the man who had tried to take his place. I went into an arena with fifty nine other people and was hunted, but I survived solely on the thought of saving Nick and restoring peace to Kronworld.

From the timid little girl who lived in Whitewater, to a leader in this war, a lot had changed since the beginning of my journey. What laid ahead upon finding Quincey's troops was another fight to be won, another adventure to take place, and another way to prove to myself I was no monster, but a hero.

If Bettman was hiding up ahead, I was going to find him and this time, I would kill him. In the back of my mind I could hear Darren telling me that I didn't need to kill him, but I shook it off. He was wrong. Either I had to die or Bettman did. We could not coexist in this world.

The sound of a gunshot snapped me back to reality and I lifted my head from Johan's shoulder. "We're close," he mumbled.

I could feel my body tense up, but a crooked smile crossed my lips. "Then let's bring them hell," I replied loud enough for the entire group to hear.

The other men looked at me in surprise. "Then how about you lead the way?" Henrik suggested.

I nodded and slid off Johan's back. Once I was at the front of the group, I looked back at the men. "Let's show them the Red Wing way!"[/spoiler]

WC: 1978

Alright so I'm gonna explain my entry a little bit

Explanation:

[spoiler]First of all this story I am posting is from a much longer work, a 75+ page work at the moment, and it is based in a world that I created, a few years back, called Kronworld. Yes the name is very bland, but the reasoning for this name comes from my interest in the sport of hockey, specifically the Detroit Red Wings, and the name seemed like the best option to me due to the fact that the alternate captain is named Kronwall, thus Kronworld fit well in my head. As you can tell from the name of the world this story has a hockey side to it, though that is not the sole base of it. The part I am going to post, which has been edited from it's original content due to the sole fact that certain things wouldn't have made much sense and as a whole the reader understands what is going on, but it is directly in the middle of a much larger event which I will explain since it is not fully explained. The main character is a girl in her early 20's whom is named Hunter and she lives in Kronworld. At the beginning of the story their leader, Nick Lidstrom, had disappeared and the other players were searching for him. Hunter became a messenger for the Red Wings and traveled about to various cities to meet with the players. Along the way, she befriended several such as the ones you will see in the story, but eventually they find where Lidstrom has been taken and she is sent off to an arena to try and win Lidstrom as a prize. Although she does win, Bettman-the main vaillain- does not accept her victory and sends Lidstrom off to another world, which eventually Hunter goes too and almost succeeds in requesting him, but she made a deal with Bettman in the end that lead to her being captured by him and him taking over Kronworld for himself, although the Red Wings were returned Lidstrom. She escapes from Bettman with her good friend Zander who had always been captured and they run off to find aid of the Red Wings once more. The part I have posted takes place after Hunter had found the help of her before befreinded Wings and confronted Bettman for the first time back in Kronworld. During their confrontation, Bettman had seized a few of the Wings, but to his surprise, another team had come to their aid, the Bruins, lead by Patrice. Though their first attempt to dethrone Bettman was a failure and ended in Hunter becoming wounded, they pushed him out of the capital and caused him to run. That is where this part picks up.[/spoiler]

Actual Story:

[spoiler]

"Hunter! Hunter, please wake up! I need you," I could faintly make out. I couldn't make out who the voice belonged to though, but it was definitely familiar. It was hard to figure it out when my head was throbbing in pain and my body ached from all the damage I had taken. I groaned softly and I wrinkled my nose.

"Hunter!?"

It was becoming clearer to me the more I gained consciousness. I was becoming more alert to the sounds around me and my head began to spin.

"Ugh, my head is throbbing," I managed to say. I brought my hand up to my sweat covered forehead and I began to massage it. "How long have I been out?" 

I hoped it hadn't been long. Bettman would have retreated too far away by now if I had been out for multiple days.

"You've been out for a day, but before you freak out, we had to make sure you didn't wake up to close your wounds before they got worse," replied a different voice.

I sat up abruptly and my eyes shot open. My head throbbed at the sudden movement and I whined in pain.

"Take care of this fucking headache already!" I barked, only making it worse.

Finally, my vision came to me and I saw Brad and Patrice on one side of the room while Darren was on the other.

"Here, take these," Brad said as he held a couple of pills out to me and Patrice held out a glass of water. I took down them quickly and pushed myself off the bed, feeling instantly dizzy. Darren made his way across the room and gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders to support me.

"Thanks," I said softly. I paused for a moment before continuing, "So do you know where he went?"

He shook his head and I frowned. "We sent Quincey along with his troops on a search, but we are having no luck so far."

I pulled away from him and I struggled to walk as I my made way over to the entrance of the room deciding to look down the hallway. A man in the hallway caught my eye as he made his way toward me.

"Who are you?!" I growled, stepping out of the room and reaching for my belt, assuming I had a weapon on me.

"Whoa there, calm down. I'm not an enemy. I am one of Patrice's men, Milan. Ask him yourself," the man said.

I glanced back into the room and Patrice nodded while Darren gave me a cold look. It sent a shiver down my spine, but I returned the look.

"Stop assuming everyone is against you! You have more allies than you think and you keep acting like you have to do this alone! You aren't alone! Let us help you!" Darren barked at me.

I could see the anger in his eyes, something I had never seen from him before and it made my body weak.

Milan noticed the sudden change and placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him with big eyes before I pulled away.

"I need to go. I'll go find Quincey and I'll help him on his search. This needs to end now," I mumbled loud enough for Darren to hear. I took one last look into the room and I shook my head "I can't do this Darren. I'm sorry." 

With that, I took off down the hallway. My body ached with every step and I felt that at any moment I would fall over. My eyes burned with hot tears as I walked.

"Ms. Peterson, where are you going?" one of the men asked as I walked past.

I didn't know who he was, but I assumed he was another one of Patrice's men. "I'm going to find Quincey and his troops and to give Bettman hell for what he has done," I replied. He stopped me in my tracks and studied my face. I wrinkled my nose and snapped, "Why do you even care where I'm going?"

A slight frown crossed his lips. "We were all told to keep an eye out for you. That is all ma'am," He responded in a smooth accent.

I raised a brow and shook my head. "They know I'm leaving so don't worry about me," I said sternly.

"Are you sure you should be going out in your current condition?" He asked.

My eyes became cold. "I don't care what condition I am in. I am going out to find Bettman. Who do you even think you are telling me that I shouldn't be going out in this condition?" I growled.

He took a step back when I began to growl. "I am David- one of Patrice's men," he responded. I studied him for a moment, deciding he didn't mean much harm. He was too gentle.

"Well David, I need to go now," I replied bluntly. I turned away from him and continued on.

My mind was set on one thing and nobody would change that. This war with Bettman needed to end and I was the only one that could end it. Either I had to die or I had to kill Bettman. There was no other option.

I found the exit and made my way outside, noticing Henrik and Pavel in the front yard. This must be one of the shelters to protect Nick when needed. There was no other reason that so many of the Red Wings and the Bruins would be here.

The sound of the door closing behind me caught Henrik's attention and he turned to look at me. "Hunter, what are you doing?" he asked curiously.

"I'm going to find Quincey and his troops," I responded.

He gave me a long look and I knew he disapproved. "Hunter, don't do this. You're in no shape to fight," he told me as he gently placed a hand on my shoulder.

How was I suppose to tell him off? I respected Henrik too much to disobey him, yet I needed to for the sake of ending this war. I had to be selfish. "Hank, I have to go and fight. This chaos needs to come to an end and only I can end it," I told him.

"If you must go at least let us come with you. You're in no shape to travel alone and you don't even have a clue where Quincey is, but I do," Henrik said in a calm voice.

I couldn't deny company was probably something I could use. "And you know you want to spend time with us," Pavel piped up with a smirk on his lips.

I looked at the Russian and rolled my eyes. "Let's head out then," I said. I looked from Henrik to Pavel and they both nodded. I knew I was going to be fine with these two at my side. I couldn't find two more reliable men.

"Wait, don't leave!" called out a voice from behind us.

I whipped around to see who was trying to stop us now and I saw Johan trotting out the door with Valtteri and Jimmy close behind. "Friends stick together now don't that?" Jimmy said.

I looked at them in disbelief, but smiled nonetheless. "You tell me- do you really want to stick with me through this?" I asked.

The three of them nodded and smiled back. "Friends through thick and thin. You can't shake us off that easily," Valtteri told me as he ruffled my hair.

"We should probably leave before it gets too dark out. The last thing we need to do it travel at night around here," Henrik pointed out.

I gave a slight nod and turned back around. "No turning back now boys. We are a unit. If we run into trouble no running away. We fight no matter what. We leave nobody behind from this point on," I said sternly. No man left behind was my policy. I knew they wouldn't leave me behind and I wouldn't leave them behind either.

We walked through the outskirts of Perfection, keeping low for now. We didn't need to draw any attention to ourselves, since if anyone was going to get rid of someone for all these problems, they would pick me. I knew people in Kronworld were against me for all that was happening even though I couldn't have prevented it. I had tried to stop it from happening, yet I was to blame for the problem. They would rather see me dead than have this war rage on.

That thought bothered me, but there was nothing I could do to change the minds of people I had no control over. Once Bettman was gone, people would see me in a different light.

"Hunter, how are you holding up?" Johan asked, snapping my train of thought.

I looked at him, guessing I looked pained. My body definitely ached, especially my upper body, but I had managed to hold up through it all.

"I'm doing alright, I guess. My body aches, but I'm still moving along," I replied. For most of this trip thus far we all had been silent, not a word had been spoken up to this point. I didn't mind the silence, but it was strange for me to see these men silent.

"Here, I'll carry you if your body aches," the big Swedish man offered.

I shrugged my shoulders, which only caused pain to surge through my body. He offered his back to me and I hopped on,  like I had before when I first traveled alongside him. That seemed so long ago now.

My arms wrapped around his neck gently and I rested my head against his neck. "Just like old times," He mumbled softly. I smiled and gave a small nod. "Yeah just like old times."

As I sat there, I thought of how much I had changed from day one of this adventure. I was timid and scared, but now I faced my fears and never ran away, instead I ran into trouble. In my mind, I had become a monster, but was I really that?

This world needed a hero, one to find Nick, and I not only risked my life multiple times for our leader, but I was willing to chase the man who had tried to take his place. I went into an arena with fifty nine other people and was hunted, but I survived solely on the thought of saving Nick and restoring peace to Kronworld.

From the timid little girl who lived in Whitewater, to a leader in this war, a lot had changed since the beginning of my journey. What laid ahead upon finding Quincey's troops was another fight to be won, another adventure to take place, and another way to prove to myself I was no monster, but a hero.

If Bettman was hiding up ahead, I was going to find him and this time, I would kill him. In the back of my mind I could hear Darren telling me that I didn't need to kill him, but I shook it off. He was wrong. Either I had to die or Bettman did. We could not coexist in this world.

The sound of a gunshot snapped me back to reality and I lifted my head from Johan's shoulder. "We're close," he mumbled.

I could feel my body tense up, but a crooked smile crossed my lips. "Then let's bring them hell," I replied loud enough for the entire group to hear.

The other men looked at me in surprise. "Then how about you lead the way?" Henrik suggested.

I nodded and slide off Johan's back. Once I was at the front of the group, I looked back at the men. "Let's show them the Red Wing way!"[/spoiler]

WC: 1978

So your main character is a delusional narcissist?

Haha just kidding plowplow, interesting world. Nice read.

OMG GunThug! I love you! You were an EDITOR! I have a story I want you to look at if thats ok, and I have the perfect thing to right! Thanks for this competition! My post will be up soon!

How do I make a spoiler?

type: [.spoiler]text here[./spoiler] without the periods

Blah, forgot to write mine, and I'll be gone for about a week >.<

I'll stay up late to do it tonight if possible ;3;

[spoiler]Don't get your hopes up too high though ;-;[/spoiler]

EDIT: Got it started... 64 words of it... I'll write more when I get back, as I'll have nothing to type on, and bringing a bunch of paper would be impractical.