[Contest] You Wanna Write About It? A weekly writing competition!

You Wanna Write About It?

Alright, so here's the deal. I love writing, and I love reading. This game used to routinely host writing competitions, which were thoroughly entertaining not only to join, but also just to observe and check out the materials submitted. Unfortunately, this is an aspect of the community that has been sorely lacking as of late. So what can I, just a lowly pleb, a commoner, do about this? Host a weird writing tournament, that's what!

Ok, so seriously, here's the deal. Every Monday, I'm gonna put forth a prompt, and you all are gonna submit a small story on this thread. I'm gonna have a 3 judge panel read all the entries and vote on the best one. The winner will get a modest 25k prize, but will also be entered into the "masters" tournament for the end of the "season." (original as fuck). Each "round" will last one "week," and entries will be judged over the weekend.

I haven't come up with a plan for the "Masters" tournament yet, but it'll be a larger writing competition, and I may even give out a common shiny for a prize (remember when I had that shiny vulpix? Still haven't lost all that value yet).

On the next post, I'm gonna put the judging criteria. Note that this is all subject to change: I may be tweaking things as this goes along depending on the popularity, feasibility, etc. I'll also put a small set of rules there, too, but for the most part, you guys can write about whatever the hell you want.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with feedback, insults, etc!

WEEK "4" TOPIC

Gonna try something a little new here to get us all back into the swing of things. (promise we'll return to the old week 4 topic soon, JJ). I expect to see a lot of entries this week, as the topic/prompt will be pretty simple.

Let's write a story about a robbery. Specifically, there's a robbery in progress at a pokemart. Where at? Choose any city inside the pokemon universe, from any generation.

Here's the catch: every story has to start with the same two sentences, which will be provided to you. That beginning is as follows:

"This is a robbery! Everyone get on the ground!"

So, to be clear, every story has to start with ^ that. The word limit will be just 750 words this week, and the entry deadline will be Sunday, 11/30 at 6:00 pm EST.

So what will it be? Will you and your pokemon jump in and save the day, or are you on the other end, cashing in on a heist? Will you play the hero, or the villain? The choice is up to you.

*PS: If anyone wants to help judge, just let me know!*

Edited by Gunthug

Judges

• Each week, there will be a new panel of judges (with the exception of me, as I'll always be one of the three judges). This will allow those who judge to also enter as a competitor some weeks if they would like
  • However, you cannot be a judge during a week where you submit an entry. This is fairly obvious, and it's just to prevent any sort of bias in judging.
  • If you'd like to be a judge, just PM me! I'll allow anyone to help me judge unless the vacancies have already been filled.

Each week's judges will score entries based on the following criteria:

• grammar
  • originality
  • adherence to the topic
  • the "x" factor
  • the "y" factor
  • overall coolness

Rules:

• Each week a topic will be posted on Monday. You have until Friday at 11:59 EDT to submit your entry on this thread.
  • Please note your word count at the bottom of your submission
  • can't break any of the PokeMMO Code of Conduct rules
  • nothing insanely sexual, guys

**side note: I was an editor for three years, and I absolutely loved it. With this in mind, if you'd like some notes/feedback/constructive criticism on your entry, feel free to PM me, and I can provide some :) **

Standings:

(This is where I'll place the standings. Each week, the judges will select a top 3. 1st place will receive a 25k in game cash prize, but both 1st and 2nd will be awarded spaces in the Master's tournament to be hosted at a later date. Remember, I will be awarding a common shiny at the Master's competition!)

Week 1:

1st place: Feravyne

2nd place: ThinkNice

3rd place (tie): Ploegy and Yagami

Gunthug I love this idea :D Let me know if you want some yen for prizes or what not. I look forward to reading entries and writing some of my own (hopefully).

thx noad. Also, mods, I wasn't sure if this should go here in unofficial tourneys or in creative media, so feel free to correct that if you must