[Storyline Guide] Kanto complete walkthrough & Hidden item Guide

This is an insane amount of information! :D I greatly appreciate it :) Thank you very much- I will verify tht all you said when I will be doing the altrun in the way I have it in my mind.

But first, few things:

Psychic TM is around 11.5k afaik- you can buy one in Mauville Game Corner for 3500 coins, that greatly lowers the overall cost of a sweeper, but Thunderbolt is 14k (ecks dee).

I also see you have left the episode of filling the pokedex to obtain items such as Amulet Coin or Exp Share. I guess not everyone has the ability to ask someone trusted enough to do it (or uses 2 laptops/ computers). As much as it might be time consuming, it's very rewarding (Everstone, Amulet Coin and Exp Share).

Another thing- I definietly prefer to buy Max over Super repels- it's more efficient.

I finished a Kanto altrun a while ago- I think I nailed around 530k in it (though it took me like 16 hours to complete lol I'm so out of shape. but I also went into chats like crazy phegt)

Either way I'm very grateful for this huge pile of useful information, if you don't mind, I'd like to throw some of those informations into the OP :)

E:

2015-04-25, 22:45 GMT

Officially started writing Hoenn Guide, hype

Edited by RysPicz

You may throw in any information you like into the OP. i wasnt aware TM psychic was available at mauville game corner. That's good news. Last I checked thunderbolt was 12k (4000 coins)...i might have miscounted though. Just checked, 4000 coins is 14k. my bad

To setup the run, I used a second laptop to transfer 50 pokes, amulet coin, hm slaves and e4 sweeper. Took about 15 mins. Took another 15 mins at the end of the run to transfer all the loot.

I need to double check max repels, but it seems the most cost efficient was super repels. Also, I like having repels on hand because sometimes you only have a short distance to cross and the super/max repel would be wasted.

I've been watching fire red speed run videos and that has been the basis for my runs ( combined with this guide for all those itemzzz). If you wanna see an efficient run, check out werster on YouTube. He tears through elite four in something like 2h5mins using blastoise. He does use all his money to buy potions and x specials. But by transferring an OP custom made sweeper and taking 10 extra seconds to use the pokecenter we can avoid that. Anyways I'm rambling. My plan is to test different pokes/movesets and figure out what works. Staryu is probably the best, but who knows....

Edited by hihats

Just did a run with Marill cuz staryu is too mainstream. Took 4.95 hours and earned 425k in cash. Here are some details about the run.

Kanto Run # 4

Part 1 (1h42):

-Started  with a lvl 15 marill. Beat brock with marill.

-Went through Mount Moon. Beat Misty with lvl. 20 Azumarill. Got a crit hit on strength starmie. That helped.

-Gary Fight #2: No problem

-Gary Fight #3: No problem

-Gym #3: Trainers were Ok.  Was lvl. 30 agaisnt Lt. Surge. Had 10 hp left when I beat him. Close call.

-Going through Rock tunnel was ok. Was able to OHKO everything except slowpokes.

-Celadon game corner went well. Giovanni was no problem.

-Gayry Fight #3: No problem, but could not OHKO once Gyarados came out with intimidate.

-Pokemon Tower was fine

-Gym 4: Erika gave us some trouble while Azurill was loafing around. Was level 42. Strength could not OHKO so I died on the first fight. I went to buy some X-Attack and that did the trick. I also learned double edge but that also could not OHKO vileplume.

Part 2 (1h26):

-Gym 5: Lvl 47 Azumarill. Didn't have enough power to kill Weezing. Failed on my first attempt. Second attempt I used 2 X-attack and that did the trick. Still had half my health after beating Koga. I'm wondering about the moveset, if I should have taught Azurill Rain Dance (lvl 35) or TM08 (Bulk up). Debating what the moveset should be.

-Pokemon Mansion. Everything went fine.

-Gym 6: Beat all the burglars.  Was Lvl. 52. Blaine went well though it wasn't a sweeping victory. Azumarill is slow, but it can tank.

-Gary Fight #4 (Silph Co): Azumarill died. Had to use revive. Intimidate sucks.

-Giovanni 2: Went well.

-Gym 7: OHKOed everything. Went well.

-Gym 8: Went well.

-Gary Fight #5: Azumarill killed 4/6 pokes the died. Finished with E4 sweeper.

Part 3 (1h07):

- Azumarill is officially retired. I just took my E4 starmie sweeper to clear the Sevii Islands.

End note:

Azumarill is probably not the best choice for speed clearing, however it 's moveset is free and it is easy to catch. It got the job done, and it's a nice change of pace from them specials Staryus and  gastly.

Pokemon info
Sweeper: Marill
Start lvl: 15
Level after Giovanni Gym: 58
Hardy (No stat change)
Ability: Huge Power (necessary)
3 atk (lol) , 29 hp, 29 speed, No EV training

Moves: Cost ($)
Strength: 0
Surf/Double edge (lvl.42): 0
Waterfall: 0
Bulk up (TM08) or Rain Dance (lvl. 35): 0

Utility Pokes:
E4 Sweeper: Lvl 100 Starmie (Surf, psychic, Thunderbolt and Icebeam)
HM Slave 1: Dragonite (Strength, Waterfall, Surf, Fly)
HM Slave 2: Paras (Flash, Cut, Dig, Rock Smash)

Time: (hours) (mins)
Preparation (transfering Pokes, repels): 15mins
Part 1 (Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika): 1h 42
Part 2 (Koga, Blaine, Sabrina, Giovanni, E4): 1h 26
Part 2.5 routes 10 to 15, power plant, selling stuff: 20mins
Part 3 (Sevii Islands): 1h 7
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 7mins
Total time: 4,95 hours

Profit ($)
After Part 2.5 - From Trainer Battles: 161884
After Part 2.5 - Selling most items: 277184
After Part 3 - From Trainer Battles: 398456
After Part 3 - Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 425791

Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 20 8000
Super Repels: 26 19500
Total: 27500

Net Profit: 425791
Repels cost: 27500
Sweeper cost: 0
Profit: 398291
Profit / hour: 80463

Funny, with a pokemon that is not actually a sweeper it take u less time to run the alt so that's a good thing to know, I love you're doing those calcs and everything :D

The time difference is most likely me just getting to know the run better. I'm also refining my routes and adapting as I go along. Might also be due to having less "It's super effective". Each second adds up.

Glad you guys like this. Up next are Raticate and Chinchou/Lanturn.

Kanto Run # 5 - RATICATE

Pokemon Info
Sweeper: Raticate
Start lvl: 20
Level after Giovanni Gym: 61
Hardy (No stat change)
Ability: Guts
Pretty nice EVs, 26 Atk, 28 speed, No EV training

Strength: 0
Bite > Crunch (lvl.24): 0
Quick Attack > Double Edge (lvl.39) 0
Swords Dance (Big mushroom Island 2): 8000

Utility Pokes:

Preparation (transfering Pokes, repels): 15mins
Part 1 (Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika): 2h 6
Part 2 (Koga, Blaine, Sabrina, Giovanni, E4): 1h 48
Part 2.5 routes 10 to 15, power plant, selling stuff: 23mins
Part 3 (Sevii Islands): 1h 9
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 5mins
Total time: 5,77 hours

Profit ($)
After Part 2.5 - From Trainer Battles: 168878
After Part 2.5 - Selling most items: 286238
After Part 3 - From Trainer Battles: 415448
After Part 3 - Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 436558

Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 19 7600
Super Repels: 24 18000
Total: 25600

Net Profit: 436558
Repels cost: 25600
Sweeper cost: 8000
Profit: 410958
Profit / hour: 71264

Part 1 (2h06 mins):

-Gym 1 Brock: Beat brock with squirtle

-Went through Mount Moon with squirtle.

- Gym 2 Misty: Beat Misty with lvl. 16 wartorle and lvl 20 raticate.

-Gary Fight #2: No problem

-Route 24: Nidorans poison point is annoying. Used squirtle  for a few battles to avoid overleveling raticate

-Gary Fight #3: No problem. Used one swords dance and swept.

-Gym #3: Trainers were Ok.  Was lvl. 28 agaisnt Lt. Surge. Was full HP and paralyzed at start. Used Swords dance and swept. Got lucky no paralysis triggered

-Rock Tunnel: Was quite bad. Had to swords dance to kill the geodudes and onyxes, taking time and losing life. Raticate died on the last trainer. Had to use revive. Im thinking Ice beam might have been a good idea instead of quick attack.

-Celadon game corner : Went well. Was lvl 35 on Giovanni only used one SD. Should have used two as since I could'nt OHKO anything. Had to heal before fight.

-Gayry Fight #4: No problem. Used one SD and swept.

-Pokemon Tower was fine

-Gym 4 Erika: Used one SD and swept with strength.

Part 2 (1h48):

-Gym 5 Koga: Had to heal after trainer battles . Was lvl 43. Used 2 SD and swept  Koga with strength.

-Pokemon Mansion. Everything went fine.

-Gym 6 Blaine: Beat all the burglars.  Was Lvl. 47. Wasn't able to beat blaine. Decided to skip and go to saffron to beat Silph co and Sabrina.

-Gary Fight #5 (Silph Co): Raticate died on the last pokemon. Should have used two SD but only used one.

-Giovanni 2: Went well. Used two SD and got poisoned. OHKOed everything.

-Gym 7 Erika: OHKOed everything. Went well.

-Gym 8 Giovanni: Lvl. 51 Raticate died on first trainer. Can't handle his machokes. Also died on first try against gym leader. After several attempts, I cheated and  rare candied my rat to lvl. 60. This allowed me to survive long enough to get two SD in and sweep. Rhyhorn lvl. 50 still needed two hits to kill.

-Gary Fight #5: used 3 SD and swept.

Part 3 (1h09):

- I just took my E4 starmie sweeper to clear the Sevii Islands.

End note:

I would't use Raticate again. He was slow, requiring swords dance and healing pretty often. He was also vulnerable to intimidate and status effects from pokemons abilities (poison point, static). Some gyms and roads he did a good job at, others not so well. I would maybe add in icebeam to his moveset instead of quick attack/Double edge. Could work?

End note:
I would't use Raticate again. He was slow, requiring swords dance and healing pretty often. He was also vulnerable to intimidate and status effects from pokemons abilities (poison point, static). Some gyms and roads he did a good job at, others not so well. I would maybe add in icebeam to his moveset instead of quick attack/Double edge. Could work?

I can see it took u more time to do this run but like u said raticate is not too powerful and requires help with moves like sword dance, maybe when we get 4th gen items like burn orb and toxic orb it will be useful because of guts and facade but right now it's not a good choice. Also I don't think Ice beam would be a good idea since its sp atk is really low
  • 2 weeks later...

Kanto Run #6 - Lantern

Part 1 :

-Gym 1 Brock: Beat brock Bulbasaur. Needs to be at least lvl.9 to have vinewhip. I died on first trainer at lvl 8, could't kill him.

-Route 3 & Mt. Moon: Went bad with bulbasaur. Had to use 3-4 moves to kill most pokemon. Died on the team rocket guy. Generally slow and ineffecient to start with bulbasaur, even with lucky egg.

- Gym 2 Misty: Beat Misty with lvl. 17 ivysaur. Went surprisingly well.

-Gary Fight #2: Switched to Chinchou. OHKOed all 4 pokes.No problem

-Route 24: No problem

-Gary Fight #3: No problem.

-Gym #3 LT. Surge: Trainers were Ok.  I let chinchou learn signal beam and evolve to lvl.28 agaisnt the trainers. Then I fought Lt. Surge. Took two surfs on electrode and raichu and one on pikachu.

-Rock Tunnel: Went well

-Celadon game corner : Went well. Was lvl 35 on Giovanni .

-Gym 4 Erika: Went well. Was level 36. Swept everything with icebeam. Took two hits to kill vilplume.

Part 2:

-Gayry Fight #4: No problem.

-Pokemon Tower: No problem.

-Gym 5 Koga: Had to heal after trainer battles . Was lvl 42. I died against the third trainer. Had to heal. Most pokes in here take 2-3 hits to kill. Had to use a revive on Lanturn on Koga. Muk killed him.

-Pokemon Mansion: Everything went fine.

-Gym 6 Blaine: Beat all the burglars.  Was Lvl. 46. Wasn't full hp agaisnt blaine. Had to heal using one hyper potion during fight. Fight was ok aside from that.

-Gary Fight #5 (Silph Co): Had to heal after fight. 26 hp left.

-Gym 7 Erika: Lvl. 48 Lanturn could'nt OHKO anything and died pretty fast. My HM slave finished the fight, which is a shame. I'm starting to think I should have rare candied at Koga to make things go smoother.

-Gym 8 Giovanni: Lvl. 49 Lanturn killed the trainers but didn't OHKO everything. Died on Giovanni. Decided to rare candy to lvl. 60. Lvl. 60 Lanturn OHKOed everything.

-Gary Fight #5: Swept with Lanturn No Problem.

-Victory Road and E4: Just used lvl.100 sweeper.

Part 3:

End note:

Laturn shows good potential. Part 1 went quite well. Part 2 was a bit shaky. I think I should have used rare candies at Kogas gym. Aside from  that Signal beam was pretty underused (only used it agaisnt psychic types, so Koga and Erika). I would use Lanturn again. STAB for lightning and water is pretty nice. Only downside is its low 76 SP.ATK.

Kanto Run # 6
Sweeper: Lanturn
Start lvl: 20
Level after Giovanni Gym: 61
Bold (+10% def, - 10% atk) lol
Ability: Illuminate
Pretty shit EVs, 9 sp. Atk, 5 speed, No EV training

Thunderbolt (Celadon game corner: 14000
Surf: 0
Confuse Ray > Signal beam (lvl.29) 0
Ice Beam(Celadon game corner: 14000

Utility Pokes:

Preparation (transfering Pokes, repels): 15
Part 1 (Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika): 1h 41
Part 2 (Koga, Blaine, Sabrina, Giovanni, E4): 1h 38
Part 2.5 routes 10 to 15, power plant, selling stuff: 22
Part 3 (Sevii Islands): 1h 4
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 7
Total time: 5,12 hours

Profit ($)
After Part 2.5 - From Trainer Battles: 168286
After Part 2.5 - Selling most items: 285086
After Part 3 - From Trainer Battles: 405206
After Part 3 - Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 434066

Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 23 9200
Super Repels: 25 18750
Total: 27950

Net Profit: 434066
Repels cost: 27950
Sweeper cost: 28000
Profit: 406116
Profit / hour: 79371

I started to think about using an Alakazam for the run. Shadow Ball and Psychic give pretty decent coverage, boasted by it's sky high spatk stat it should easily plow through the storyline. Shame that it's so goddamn frail though but it's way easier to obtain and requires practicly only a Shadow Ball TM to make it run.

Shoutout for you though, hihats- all the info you're giving to us is invaluable, I'm sure I will put some of it into the guide itself. Thanks a bunch!

I started to think about using an Alakazam for the run. Shadow Ball and Psychic give pretty decent coverage, boasted by it's sky high spatk stat it should easily plow through the storyline. Shame that it's so goddamn frail though but it's way easier to obtain and requires practicly only a Shadow Ball TM to make it run.

Funny you mention Alakazam. Just did a run with him :P. Will post the info. So far it's been my fastest run. The guy is a beast! Take an Abra, lvl. to 16 kadabra then trade to alt for OP Alakazam. The run I did with Alakazam took me 4.5 hours.

Kanto Run # 7 - Alakazam

Sweeper: Alakazam
Start lvl: 16
Level after Giovanni Gym: 57
Timid (+10% Speed, -10% Attack)
Ability: Synchronize
Pretty decent EVs, 19 sp. Atk, 27 speed, No EV training

Confusion (lvl. 16) > Psychic (Lvl. 38): 0
Calm mind: 15000
Shock Wave (TM34 Surge gym reward): 0
Psybeam (lvl. 21): 0

Utility Pokes:

Preparation (transfering Pokes, repels): 12
Part 1 (Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika): 1h 18
Part 2 (Koga, Blaine, Sabrina, Giovanni, E4): 1h 27
Part 2.5 routes 10 to 15, power plant, selling stuff: 20
Part 3 (Sevii Islands): 1h 5
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 7
Total time: 4,48 hours

Profit ($)
After Part 2.5 - From Trainer Battles: 165692
After Part 2.5 - Selling most items: 286992
After Part 3 - From Trainer Battles: 408984
After Part 3 - Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 439144

Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 19 7600
Super Repels: 24 18000
Total: 25600

Net Profit: 439144
Repels cost: 25600
Sweeper cost: 15000
Profit: 398544
Profit / hour: 88895

Part 1 :

-Gym 1 Brock: Took squirtle and gave him a lucky egg (Optional).  Beat brock

-Route 3 & Mt. Moon: Took lvl. 16 alakazam. Went well

- Gym 2 Misty: Lvl. 20 Alakazam 2 HKOes starmie with shockwave. Learned psybeam at at lvl. 21 which  replaced confusion

-Gary Fight #2: Went well. Didn't OHKO pidgeotto and abra lol.

-Route 24: No problem

-Gary Fight #3: No problem. OHKO all but Alakazam.

-Gym #3 LT. Surge: Trainers were Ok. Was lvl 29. OHKO  voltorb and pika. 2HKO Raichu.

-Rock Tunnel: Went well

-Celadon game corner : Went well. Was lvl 36 on Giovanni . Used one Calm mind then swept with Psybeam.

-Gym 4 Erika: Went well. Was level 38. Swept everything with Psychic.

Part 2:

-Gayry Fight #4: No problem.

-Pokemon Tower: No problem.

-Gym 5 Koga: Had to heal after trainer battles . Was lvl 42. I died against the trainer with Hypno lol. Had to heal. Most pokes in here take 2 hits to kill. Koga went well. Used one Calm mind and swept.

-Pokemon Mansion: Everything went fine.

-Gym 6 Blaine: Went well. Beat all the burglars.  Was Lvl. 47. Used one Calm Mind and Swept Blaine with psychic

-Gary Fight #5 (Silph Co): Went well

-Gym 7 Erika: Lvl. 51. Used 3x Calm Mind. Two might have been enough. Got confused which spiced things up. Had to use a super potion to heal a little. Once calm mind was set up, OHKO all 4 pokes.

-Gym 8 Giovanni: Lvl. 53. Used one Calm Mind and swept.

-Gary Fight #5: One Calm mind and swept tha floor.

-Victory Road and E4: Just used lvl.100 sweeper.

Part 3:

End note:

Alakazam was great. Nice and fast. It's moveset is virtually free since you probably have an excess of Calm Minds (worth about 15k) and shock waves (worth not much). I found it is possible to just learn psychic  naturally at lvl.38. Not even sure that calm mind is necessary.  Shadow ball is  possibly a better  move for more coverage (It will cost more though). Can probably just get away with using Sp. atk up during a few key fights or  rare candying at a strategic moment (Ex. Before Koga's gym). Definetly would use  Alakazam again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a python program that simulates an alt run. The concept is to take a given pokemon, with average IVs, no EVs and neutral (i.e. crap nature) and run the calcs for each NPC battle till the run is finished. The program would output which move would OHKO the opponents pokemon. 
 This could help determine the most optimal movesets for different pokemon. Worst conditions are assumed damage wise, so in reality results could be much better. 

Here is an idea of what the output could look like.

Pallet Town

Rival, reward: 80
---------------

Level 5 bulbasaur (21 hp)
Psybeam 112 damage - 533.33% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 17 damage - 80.95% : 2HKO effectiveness: 0.5
Psychic 153 damage - 728.57% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 45 damage - 214.29% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 78 exp
alakazam has 2613 total exp, level 16

Viridian Forest

Bug Catcher Sammy, reward: 108
---------------

Level 9 weedle (28 hp)
Psybeam 131 damage - 467.86% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 40 damage - 142.86% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 180 damage - 642.86% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 53 damage - 189.29% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 115 exp
alakazam has 2728 total exp, level 16

GYM 1: Pewter Gym

Camper Liam, reward: 220
---------------

Level 10 geodude (31 hp)
Psybeam 52 damage - 167.74% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 1 damage - 3.23% : 31HKO effectiveness: 0
Psychic 71 damage - 229.03% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 42 damage - 135.48% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 211 exp
alakazam has 2939 total exp, level 16

Level 11 sandshrew (35 hp)
Psybeam 48 damage - 137.14% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 1 damage - 2.86% : 35HKO effectiveness: 0
Psychic 66 damage - 188.57% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 39 damage - 111.43% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 252 exp
alakazam has 3191 total exp, level 17

Gym leader Brock, reward: 1400
---------------

Level 12 geodude (35 hp)
Psybeam 48 damage - 137.14% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 1 damage - 2.86% : 35HKO effectiveness: 0
Psychic 66 damage - 188.57% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 39 damage - 111.43% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 254 exp
alakazam has 3445 total exp, level 17

Level 14 onix (38 hp)
Psybeam 35 damage - 92.11% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 1 damage - 2.63% : 38HKO effectiveness: 0
Psychic 48 damage - 126.32% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 28 damage - 73.68% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 372 exp
alakazam has 3817 total exp, level 18

Route 3

Bug Catcher Colton, reward: 120
---------------

Level 10 caterpie (32 hp)
Psybeam 60 damage - 187.50% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 37 damage - 115.62% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 82 damage - 256.25% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 49 damage - 153.12% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 130 exp
alakazam has 3947 total exp, level 18

Level 10 weedle (31 hp)
Psybeam 121 damage - 390.32% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 37 damage - 119.35% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 165 damage - 532.26% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 49 damage - 158.06% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 128 exp
alakazam has 4075 total exp, level 18

Level 10 caterpie (32 hp)
Psybeam 60 damage - 187.50% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 37 damage - 115.62% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 82 damage - 256.25% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 49 damage - 153.12% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 130 exp
alakazam has 4205 total exp, level 18

Bug Catcher Greg, reward: 108
---------------

Level 9 weedle (28 hp)
alakazam got 115 exp
alakazam has 4320 total exp, level 18

Level 9 kakuna (28 hp)
alakazam got 157 exp
alakazam has 4477 total exp, level 18

Level 9 caterpie (29 hp)
Psybeam 65 damage - 224.14% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 40 damage - 137.93% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 90 damage - 310.34% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 53 damage - 182.76% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 117 exp
alakazam has 4594 total exp, level 19

Level 9 metapod (29 hp)
Psybeam 65 damage - 224.14% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 40 damage - 137.93% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 90 damage - 310.34% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 53 damage - 182.76% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 159 exp
alakazam has 4753 total exp, level 19

Bug Catcher James, reward: 132
---------------

Level 11 caterpie (34 hp)
Psybeam 60 damage - 176.47% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 37 damage - 108.82% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 82 damage - 241.18% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 49 damage - 144.12% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 143 exp
alakazam has 4896 total exp, level 19

Level 11 metapod (34 hp)
Psybeam 60 damage - 176.47% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 37 damage - 108.82% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 82 damage - 241.18% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 49 damage - 144.12% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 195 exp
alakazam has 5091 total exp, level 19

Mount Moon

Rocket Grunt 1, reward: 352
---------------

Level 13 rattata (34 hp)
Psybeam 41 damage - 120.59% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 25 damage - 73.53% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 56 damage - 164.71% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 1 damage - 2.94% : 34HKO effectiveness: 0
alakazam got 182 exp
alakazam has 5273 total exp, level 19

Level 11 ekans (32 hp)
Psybeam 74 damage - 231.25% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 23 damage - 71.88% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 101 damage - 315.62% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 30 damage - 93.75% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 168 exp
alakazam has 5441 total exp, level 19

Rocket Grunt 2, reward: 416
---------------

Level 13 rattata (34 hp)
Psybeam 41 damage - 120.59% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 25 damage - 73.53% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 56 damage - 164.71% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 1 damage - 2.94% : 34HKO effectiveness: 0
alakazam got 182 exp
alakazam has 5623 total exp, level 20

Level 12 zubat (35 hp)
Psybeam 82 damage - 234.29% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 51 damage - 145.71% : 1HKO effectiveness: 2
Psychic 112 damage - 320.00% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 33 damage - 94.29% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 159 exp
alakazam has 5782 total exp, level 20

Super Nerd Miguel, reward: 288
---------------

Level 12 grimer (44 hp)
Psybeam 74 damage - 168.18% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 23 damage - 52.27% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 101 damage - 229.55% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 30 damage - 68.18% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 266 exp
alakazam has 6048 total exp, level 20

Level 12 voltorb (35 hp)
Psybeam 35 damage - 100.00% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 11 damage - 31.43% : 4HKO effectiveness: 0.5
Psychic 48 damage - 137.14% : 1HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 28 damage - 80.00% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 304 exp
alakazam has 6352 total exp, level 20

Level 12 koffing (35 hp)
Psybeam 78 damage - 222.86% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShockWave 24 damage - 68.57% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
Psychic 106 damage - 302.86% : 1HKO effectiveness: 3.0
ShadowBall 31 damage - 88.57% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 337 exp
alakazam has 6689 total exp, level 21

Gym 2 : Cerulean Gym

Misty, reward: 2100
---------------

Level 18 staryu (44 hp)
Psybeam 25 damage - 56.82% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShockWave 31 damage - 70.45% : 2HKO effectiveness: 2
Psychic 34 damage - 77.27% : 2HKO effectiveness: 1.5
ShadowBall 20 damage - 45.45% : 3HKO effectiveness: 1
alakazam got 470 exp
alakazam has 7159 total exp, level 21

Level 21 starmie (62 hp)
Psybeam 8 damage - 12.90% : 8HKO effectiveness: 0.75
ShockWave 21 damage - 33.87% : 3HKO effectiveness: 2
Psychic 11 damage - 17.74% : 6HKO effectiveness: 0.75
ShadowBall 27 damage - 43.55% : 3HKO effectiveness: 2
alakazam got 1071 exp
alakazam has 8230 total exp, level 22

31.05.2015 update:

Using the data I got thanks to hihats (shoutout to you!) and my own, I have successfully updated the guide. Everything is up-to-date now, including the spoils section.

*Guide got improved to fit the current update standards.

*Updated spoils section.

*Included "trainers-worth-defeating" into the guide.

*Updated shard tutor prices.

*Fixed several miss-spellings, missing commas stuff like that.

*Dede is bad.

[spoiler]Credits to AlateaOlwyn for helping me out with the sell prices of certain items \o/[/spoiler]

Guide is ready to be moved into Guide Tavern section! :)

Edited by RysPicz

So ive pretty much finished the alt run calculator for Kanto. The goal is to find which movesets work for an altrun on any pokemon. I've run a few calculations.

Here are some results. Ideally, a pokemon would be able to OHKO every single opponent. 

There is a summary which you see below. I also have a text file that details each fight and how much damage each move deals.

So far the best pokemon is Alakazam. He's also got a pretty cheap moveset!

Sweeper: alakazam
Start Level: 16
End Level: 54
IV set: [15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15]   #hp,atk,DEF,spa,spd,spe
Starting EV set: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]      #hp,atk,DEF,spa,spd,spe
Final EV set: [38, 59, 62, 47, 17, 85]   #hp,atk,DEF,spa,spd,spe
Nature Mod: [1, 1] [atk,spa]

Success rate = 92.44%

Number of defeated pokemon: 225
Killed 208 / 225 (92.44%) pokemon in 1 hit.
17 pokemon (7.56%) killed in 2Hits or more

Move Performance (1HKO)
------------------------
Psybeam : 165 OHKO's - 73.33% coverage
ShockWave : 70 OHKO's - 31.11% coverage
Psychic : 188 OHKO's - 83.56% coverage
ShadowBall : 126 OHKO's - 56.00% coverage

Move Coverage
---------------
Psybeam : 0 times best move and OHKO - 0.00% coverage
ShockWave : 2 times best move and OHKO - 0.89% coverage
Psychic : 186 times best move and OHKO - 82.67% coverage
ShadowBall : 20 times best move and OHKO - 8.89% coverage

Tough battles
--------------
[Trainer, Pokemon, level, Best Move, Min. Damage Percent]
---------------------------------------------------------
['Misty', 'starmie', 21, 'ShadowBall', 66.12903225806451]
['Engineer Baily', 'magnemite', 21, 'Psychic', 91.66666666666666]
['LT. Surge', 'raichu', 24, 'Psychic', 87.14285714285714]
['Boss Giovanni 1', 'kangaskhan', 29, 'Psychic', 67.5925925925926]
['Snorlax', 'snorlax', 30, 'Psychic', 48.96551724137931]
['Juggler Kayden', 'hypno', 38, 'ShadowBall', 54.83870967741935]
['Koga', 'muk', 39, 'Psychic', 95.77464788732394]
['burglar simon', 'ninetales', 38, 'Psychic', 60.86956521739131]
['Scientist Braydon', 'magnemite', 33, 'Psychic', 94.20289855072464]
['Scientist Braydon', 'magneton', 33, 'Psychic', 63.95348837209303]
['Burglar Quinn', 'ninetales', 36, 'Psychic', 73.39449541284404]
['Burglar Ramon', 'ponyta', 41, 'Psychic', 94.23076923076923]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'rapidash', 42, 'Psychic', 72.26890756302521]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'arcanine', 47, 'Psychic', 50.0]
['Rival Fight 6', 'pidgeot', 37, 'Psychic', 93.27731092436974]
['Boss Giovanni 2', 'kangaskhan', 35, 'Psychic', 85.27131782945736]
['Gym Leader Sabrina', 'alakazam', 43, 'ShadowBall', 94.69026548672566]

Sweeper: starmie
Start Level: 20
End Level: 50
Moveset [Psychic, IceBeam, Surf, Thunderbolt]
Final EV set: [38, 59, 58, 46, 17, 84]   #hp,atk,DEF,spa,spd,spe

Success rate = 86.30%

Number of defeated pokemon: 219
Killed 189 / 219 (86.30%) pokemon in 1 hit.
30 pokemon (13.70%) killed in 2Hits or more

Move Performance (1HKO)
------------------------
Psychic : 155 OHKO's - 70.78% coverage
IceBeam : 113 OHKO's - 51.60% coverage
Surf : 142 OHKO's - 64.84% coverage
Thunderbolt : 75 OHKO's - 34.25% coverage

Move Coverage
---------------
Psychic : 113 times best move and OHKO - 51.60% coverage
IceBeam : 11 times best move and OHKO - 5.02% coverage
Surf : 52 times best move and OHKO - 23.74% coverage
Thunderbolt : 13 times best move and OHKO - 5.94% coverage

Tough battles
--------------
['Misty', 'starmie', 21, 'Thunderbolt', 59.67741935483871]
['Team Rocket Grunt', 'drowzee', 17, 'Surf', 86.53846153846155]
['LT. Surge', 'raichu', 24, 'Psychic', 58.57142857142858]
['Boss Giovanni 1', 'kangaskhan', 29, 'Psychic', 45.370370370370374]
['Team Rocket Grunt 2', 'drowzee', 26, 'Surf', 82.66666666666667]
['Snorlax', 'snorlax', 30, 'Psychic', 33.10344827586207]
['Biker Billy', 'muk', 33, 'Psychic', 81.14754098360656]
['Juggler Kayden', 'hypno', 38, 'Surf', 31.451612903225808]
['Juggler Kirk', 'drowzee', 31, 'Surf', 65.51724137931035]
['Juggler Kirk', 'kadabra', 31, 'Surf', 90.66666666666666]
['Juggler Kirk', 'drowzee', 31, 'Surf', 66.66666666666666]
['Juggler Kirk', 'drowzee', 31, 'Surf', 66.66666666666666]
['Koga', 'muk', 39, 'Psychic', 63.38028169014085]
['Koga', 'weezing', 43, 'Psychic', 89.34426229508196]
['burglar simon', 'ninetales', 38, 'Surf', 84.34782608695653]
['Scientist Braydon', 'magneton', 33, 'Surf', 82.55813953488372]
['Burglar Quinn', 'ninetales', 36, 'Surf', 97.24770642201835]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'rapidash', 42, 'Surf', 95.7983193277311]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'arcanine', 47, 'Surf', 66.02564102564102]
['Rival Fight 6', 'pidgeot', 37, 'IceBeam', 81.5126050420168]
['Rival Fight 6', 'venusaur', 40, 'Psychic', 82.53968253968253]
['Rival Fight 6', 'alakazam', 35, 'Surf', 70.2127659574468]
['Team Rocket Grunt', 'drowzee', 32, 'Surf', 80.0]
['Boss Giovanni 2', 'nidoqueen', 41, 'Psychic', 88.32116788321169]
['Boss Giovanni 2', 'kangaskhan', 35, 'Psychic', 56.58914728682171]
['Gym Leader Sabrina', 'kadabra', 38, 'Surf', 86.66666666666667]
['Gym Leader Sabrina', 'mrmime', 37, 'Surf', 59.09090909090909]
['Gym Leader Sabrina', 'alakazam', 43, 'Surf', 53.09734513274337]
['Giovanni', 'nidoqueen', 44, 'Psychic', 86.98630136986301]
['Giovanni', 'nidoking', 45, 'Psychic', 97.16312056737588]

Sweeper: haunter
Start Level: 12
End Level: 54
Moveset [ShadowBall, Psychic, GigaDrain, Thunderbolt]
Final EV set: [38, 59, 62, 47, 17, 85]   #hp,atk,DEF,spa,spd,spe

Success rate = 87.11%

Number of defeated pokemon: 225
Killed 196 / 225 (87.11%) pokemon in 1 hit.
29 pokemon (12.89%) killed in 2Hits or more

Move Performance (1HKO)
------------------------
ShadowBall : 154 OHKO's - 68.44% coverage
Psychic : 141 OHKO's - 62.67% coverage
GigaDrain : 60 OHKO's - 26.67% coverage
Thunderbolt : 92 OHKO's - 40.89% coverage

Move Coverage
---------------
ShadowBall : 55 times best move and OHKO - 24.44% coverage
Psychic : 88 times best move and OHKO - 39.11% coverage
GigaDrain : 36 times best move and OHKO - 16.00% coverage
Thunderbolt : 17 times best move and OHKO - 7.56% coverage

Tough battles
--------------
['Misty', 'starmie', 21, 'ShadowBall', 75.80645161290323]
['Camper Jeff', 'raticate', 16, 'Psychic', 93.75]
['Engineer Baily', 'magnemite', 21, 'ShadowBall', 66.66666666666666]
['LT. Surge', 'raichu', 24, 'ShadowBall', 67.14285714285714]
['Boss Giovanni 1', 'kangaskhan', 29, 'Psychic', 39.81481481481482]
['Gym Leader Erika', 'vileplume', 29, 'Psychic', 90.10989010989012]
['Snorlax', 'snorlax', 30, 'Psychic', 28.27586206896552]
['Biker Billy', 'muk', 33, 'Psychic', 69.67213114754098]
['Juggler Kayden', 'hypno', 38, 'ShadowBall', 72.58064516129032]
['Koga', 'muk', 39, 'Psychic', 53.52112676056338]
['Koga', 'weezing', 43, 'Psychic', 75.40983606557377]
['burglar simon', 'ninetales', 38, 'ShadowBall', 46.95652173913044]
['Burglar Arnie', 'charmeleon', 34, 'ShadowBall', 93.54838709677419]
['Scientist Braydon', 'magnemite', 33, 'ShadowBall', 72.46376811594203]
['Scientist Braydon', 'magneton', 33, 'ShadowBall', 48.837209302325576]
['Burglar Lewis', 'ponyta', 34, 'ShadowBall', 98.86363636363636]
['Burglar Quinn', 'ninetales', 36, 'ShadowBall', 56.88073394495413]
['Burglar Ramon', 'ponyta', 41, 'ShadowBall', 73.07692307692307]
['Burglar Dusty', 'vulpix', 37, 'ShadowBall', 97.67441860465115]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'growlithe', 42, 'ShadowBall', 81.08108108108108]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'ponyta', 40, 'ShadowBall', 76.47058823529412]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'rapidash', 42, 'ShadowBall', 53.78151260504202]
['Gym Leader Blaine', 'arcanine', 47, 'ShadowBall', 37.17948717948718]
['Rival Fight 6', 'venusaur', 40, 'Psychic', 72.22222222222221]
['Boss Giovanni 2', 'nidoqueen', 41, 'Psychic', 76.64233576642336]
['Boss Giovanni 2', 'kangaskhan', 35, 'Psychic', 49.6124031007752]
['Cooltrainer Warrant', 'nidoqueen', 39, 'Psychic', 90.83969465648855]
['Giovanni', 'nidoqueen', 44, 'Psychic', 76.02739726027397]
['Giovanni', 'nidoking', 45, 'Psychic', 84.39716312056737]

If you have any suggestions on a sweeper, just suggest it here with it's moveset and i'll run the calcs.

Sorry for long post. Lots of data.

the guide is good, but how the hell do i transfer stuff from my main to my alt?

I usually ask friends for that :) You can also ask a CM/GM to help you out, or a very well known, trusted player (someone like NikhilR would be a good example). OR you can use 2 laptops, if you got that :p

I usually ask friends for that :) You can also ask a CM/GM to help you out, or a very well known, trusted player (someone like NikhilR would be a good example). OR you can use 2 laptops, if you got that :P

OR ME

edit: I feel like I said this before somewhere, but maybe I didn't so I'll say it again. If there's a certain sweeper you like to use for alt running, like starmie, you can moveset it one time and then do the alt run as normal. Then once you're done, you can breed the starmie with a random ditto to get a level 1 staryu with the same moveset for basically free. Seems like the most cost efficient choice to me anyways, assuming you use a sweeper that requires tm moves to be effective. Could be worth mentioning in the first part of the guide. 

Edited by BurntZebra

Added the region as a tag on the title for both guides because the forum search function seems to like those more and it will make it easier for newbies to find your guide. 

No prob, I don't mind, the point of those guides was to help others

OR ME

edit: I feel like I said this before somewhere, but maybe I didn't so I'll say it again. If there's a certain sweeper you like to use for alt running, like starmie, you can moveset it one time and then do the alt run as normal. Then once you're done, you can breed the starmie with a random ditto to get a level 1 staryu with the same moveset for basically free. Seems like the most cost efficient choice to me anyways, assuming you use a sweeper that requires tm moves to be effective. Could be worth mentioning in the first part of the guide. 

Thanks Zeb, I'll prob add that info to both of my guides in Sunday :)

OR ME

It would definitely be a cost efficient solution to breed a moveset sweeper. Might get a little boring always playing the same sweeper alt run after alt run though. However you would get quite used to that sweeper and would become even more efficient and find specific tricks for the key battles, reducing failures. Stuff like how to avoid overlevel, use x-special or x-attack on this and that keyfight, use this move, bla bla bla. So that might be the most cost effective way.

Another cost effective way is to figure out which pokemon can be used with minimal investment. For example, lvl 16 alakazam can pretty much OHKO eveything and alls he needs is psybeam (free), psychic (free @ lvl 38), shock wave (free since you have a crap ton lying around or calm mind worth about 15k) and shadow ball (17 from game corner). How long would you spend breeding a pokemon? is it worth the 17k - 32k you would spend on alakazam's moveset? Considering you can get around 70k/hour in pure cash doing an altrun (not counting items). But yeah, a pokemon requiring an expensive moveset would definitely be worth breeding. 

What I find great about alt runs though is that it lets you play an entire new game with any pokemon you choose. I like to pick different pokemon. Spices things up and makes you think through which moves you need for which battles and figure out the run strategy. A lot of fun to be had, you have to adapt as you go! I would recommend to experiment and figure out movesets and run some random pokemon with whatever moveset you think might work for the altrun. Or just go with starmie/alakazam and blast threw the game :P

Note to self: Update the preparations part, including a poke with Teleport. Claydol seems the best since it can also carry Flash, Rock Smash and Strength. May shorten the guide a bit in few places.

[spoiler]Once again, thanks to hihats- man I don't know what I'd do without you[/spoiler]

Edited by RysPicz