Random Terrain for Areas

bl0nde

Question

Mainly this idea comes from this game I love called "Azure Dreams", but there are lots of games that do this.

[spoiler]

20-Update25_16.png

[/spoiler]

75% of this game (above) revolved around climbing up through 40 levels of a magical monster tower. That was it. That was the bulk of the game. What made it cool was that the tiles and buildings (and locations of treasures) are arranged randomly. You never saw the same exact level or item locations twice. There was always a feeling of "what treasure/monsters will I find in that building I've never seen?" Every time you moved to the next area, new terrain for that level was generated. IMO that's a big part of what keeps this game interesting. I think dot hack had random levels too? I'm not sure, I only played it a little.

• I'm not suggesting this idea be implemented immediately in the game somewhere, and I doubt it ever will be. We have a little (tiny bit) of this *kind of* with day/night spawns, but I'm still guessing it would being pretty difficult to implement. I just wanted to put it down as a suggestion because I think it's a neat idea to have on the back burner.
  • For random stuff in PokeMMO, you'd have to have the right area for it first. You'd have to have a "Mysterious forest" or a "Forbidden ghost tower" or maybe a sandy desert area where the sand was always moving. – something like that. You couldn't have your whole game shifting around, it doesn't make sense for the world of pokemon.
  • So much of the exploration is over and the excitement is gone after 1 or 2 walks through an area. Think of what always happens in the cycle guys:

#1 New region/pokes/terrain is implemented

#2 Walkthrough and pokemon locations are pasted on forum within a few days.

#3 A good bulk of the casuals later get bored because of a lack of new material; nothing new to explore. Then the population begins to dip off again except for diehards until next update.

My idea won't stop this cycle, but I think it would be an element that adds some spice. Random pokemon spawns/tiles/trainer locations defined *within a set area* could make our often repetitious game one notch more interesting.

TL:DR randomly generated terrain/tiles/items/pokes within defined areas.

Feel free to point out any flaws in my idea for discussion/improvement, or just to tell me it is fail. :)

11 answers to this question

If there was random item location and random item respawn like every 20 hours within the defined areas and people knew there was like 4% chance for them to find like a PP up, that could keep them exploring the areas with interest. At first I thought this would decrease alt accounts, and keep people playing on their main.

However, an issue I see with the item spawn is that some people have many alts already. So each day they could place their characters there and farm whatever items spawned. That would not be fair to peeps like me (I only have like 3 account in total, play on only 1). In fact, this would be a great disadvantage as far as competition and wealth. This is already happening to a smaller extent, but the item spawn seems like it would create a greater advantage for alternate accounts with the ability to farm randomly generated items each day. :unsure:

I mean you could literally have people with 30 accounts parked outside the area and they farm items all day – item farmers. If you could take out the alternate account element, it sounds really neat. Perhaps a fix would be to make the items insignificant (mostly non competitive as far as wealth and battling)? Things like potion, great pokeball, maybe king'srock or something for most rare. Items that are useable and interesting, but they don't give you a huge edge for wealth or for battles.

TL:DR randomly generated terrain/tiles/items/pokes within defined areas.

Feel free to point out any flaws in my idea for discussion/improvement, or just to tell me it is fail. :)

i support this, would also be fun for players to find shinies in these unique areas

If there was random item location and random item respawn like every 20 hours within the defined areas and people knew there was like 4% chance for them to find like a PP up, that could keep them exploring the areas with interest. At first I thought this would decrease alt accounts, and keep people playing on their main.

However, an issue I see with the item spawn is that some people have many alts already. So each day they could place their characters there and farm whatever items spawned. That would not be fair to peeps like me (I only have like 3 account in total, play on only 1). In fact, this would be a great disadvantage as far as competition and wealth. This is already happening to a smaller extent, but the item spawn seems like it would create a greater advantage for alternate accounts with the ability to farm randomly generated items each day. :unsure:

I mean you could literally have people with 30 accounts parked outside the area and they farm items all day – item farmers. If you could take out the alternate account element, it sounds really neat. Perhaps a fix would be to make the items insignificant (mostly non competitive as far as wealth and battling)? Things like potion, great pokeball, maybe king'srock or something for most rare. Items that are useable and interesting, but they don't give you a huge edge for wealth or for battles.

I think it would be fine if the items only generated the first time you went into the place and then every time afterwards there would be no items to find.

I was going to PM this to darkshade but his box is full. If I am going against the rules posting a video I am sorry and remove my post.

Hi Darkshade,

I made posts last year in the dungeons and random terrain suggestion threads about this game. It's called "azure dreams" for playstation 1. I recorded me playing one level and linked it. Each time you climb one level, the game loads a new randomly generated map with random items. I have played this game tons even though is is offline because you never know what is around that corner - it could be a rare sword or monster egg. That randomness of the maps and items substantially increases the entertainment value derived from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBAKG1dIQko&feature=youtu.be

I realize you guys have your own ideas with your projects and I am not offended at all by that. I only share because being exposed to other ideas sometimes helps me be more creative in the things I do. I thought it might give you an idea for something at some point. Thanks for reading.

Jenna

I think this idea would be cool to be implemented in the dungeon. It would fill with more surprise and less boredom. People doesn't feel like to alt run in this game nowadays as it used to be fun and surprising back in the days.They know what pokemon or items they found in each area. Same goes to the dungeon if this concept (random generate) isn't used.

It would be cool that it is generated from a seed so that people can use the seed again for competition or other else.