[Implemented] PokeMMO Rating System

It appears as though there is confusion about the Table of Contents, while it is true that there are a lot of threads in the "Rejected" section, that is likely going to be temporary. I am contemplating adding a section for threads where the discussion stalled and were trashed. However, please keep in mind that the decision to trash any thread in here is not mine.

On the topic of the suggestion, I will leave this thread for the time being. However, please keep on topic and follow the rules of Suggestion Box when posting.

Ok since this is staying

From the old topic

How about something like this:

A Weekly ELO Ranking ( for 100 and 50, maybe in the future also an OU/UU/NU lol/Doubles division )

Every Week The Player with the Highest ELO Rate wins something ( Can be Tms / Proteins Ecc.. / Rare Candies / Fossils  No Shinies/Eggs )

If you don't play for more days your ELO Ranks will lower

And a Monthly ELO Ranking ( same as above )

Also here there will be a prize for the player with the Highest ELO Rate (  the prize will be more consistent, in my opinion can be a Shiny )

If you don't play for more days your ELO Ranks will lower, and after ( insert number here ) it'll return to zero

The system must be refined, but I think it may be a good idea to keep comp players busy and advertise the Matchmaking System

NOTE

to do this:  Done

Dannnno, on 27 Aug 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:snapback.png

the current PvP matchmaking has no enforced clauses

We need the usual tourney rules into the matchmaking system AND WE FUCKING HAVE THEM NOW

( Once my Banette flinched after a T-Bolt, and I'm still mad as fuck )

Ok since this is staying

From the old topic

How about something like this:

A Weekly ELO Ranking ( for 100 and 50, maybe in the future also an OU/UU/NU lol/Doubles division )
Every Week The Player with the Highest ELO Rate wins something ( Can be Tms / Proteins Ecc.. / Rare Candies / Fossils  No Shinies/Eggs )
If you don't play for more days your ELO Ranks will lower

And a Monthly ELO Ranking ( same as above )
Also here there will be a prize for the player with the Highest ELO Rate (  the prize will be more consistent, in my opinion can be a Shiny )
If you don't play for more days your ELO Ranks will lower, and after ( insert number here ) it'll return to zero
The system must be refined, but I think it may be a good idea to keep comp players busy and advertise the Matchmaking System

NOTE

to do this:  Done

Dannnno, on 27 Aug 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:snapback.png

We need the usual tourney rules into the matchmaking system AND WE FUCKING HAVE THEM NOW

( Once my Banette flinched after a T-Bolt, and I'm still mad as fuck )

Well, an ELO rating starts at 100 and can go as high as 3000.
But the problem with ratings, is that they can be boosted easily. Like let's say that I'm rated 1200 and one of my friends is rated 2300, and we agree to boost my rating and share the prize. After some boosting and lots of wins, I can become an 1800 or higher, etc.
Again, being the best rated doesn't mean you are the best. The best chess player in the world, Magnus Carlson, isn't even the highest rated chess player.
Instead, I say we should put some restrictions. You can only duel someone five times in one day. Also, instead of getting a prize for being the highest rated, I think the prize should be given to the person who has beaten the highest rated chess players and also has losen to people who are higher rated than him. Let's say that someone has 29 wins in an OU Duel. This person has beaten 14 people who are rated 100-900, and 15 people rated 900-1500 when the guy himself is 1900. Now let's say someone who is rated 1600, beats 7 different 1800s, and nine 2000s, but loses to three 2300s. Who should win the prize, the guy rated 1800 or the guy rated 1600?

For the people who like it quick and snappy, here's what I'm saying.
In order to make sure this new and improved rating system isn't abused, you can only beat someone once per day in order for it to count for your rating. This means you can lose to someone once per day.
Instead of having a prize for the highest rated ELO player, it should be for the person who has beaten the highest rated players and accumulated for wins than losses.
And, you can only battle people within 200 points of your rating in order for it to count for your ELO average. You can still battle higher rated people, but it won't count for your rating.

Stuff

Letting a player battle only 5 per days is bad, but really bad.

A limit to the times you can play against the same opponent seems a logic thing to do, but, it's also logic to put a certain limit to the difference in ELO Ratings that 2 players that will battle can have, i mean, the system will not let 2 players one with 1200 ELO vs one with 1900 ELO battle ( NOTE: What i'm suggestion is something that will be done with the Matchmaking system and will not consider battles outside of it, an ELO System for Viridian Battles seems really too easilly abusable.....not like the Matchmaking is flawless, but you know... )

Does this forum have a thread merge feature? Thread merge and unlocking/moving the original thread should be standard procedure instead of just trashing both threads. Bare minimum, the mod should unlock and move the original thread when they lock the new one.

Yes, you can merge here. It makes a lot more sense to move one from the trash... and encourage people to not make duplicates in the future. 

Also,

@Xela you're the mod, how isn't your call (unless Kyu/Brightshade/H close the thread) why would there be random threads in the trash? What's wrong with moving threads from rejected to the correct place? And also why is this open... there is an ELO system in game. Am I missing something?????

Letting a player battle only 5 per days is bad, but really bad.
A limit to the times you can play against the same opponent seems a logic thing to do, but, it's also logic to put a certain limit to the difference in ELO Ratings that 2 players that will battle can have, i mean, the system will not let 2 players one with 1200 ELO vs one with 1900 ELO battle ( NOTE: What i'm suggestion is something that will be done with the Matchmaking system and will not consider battles outside of it, an ELO System for Viridian Battles seems really too easilly abusable.....not like the Matchmaking is flawless, but you know... )

I didn't say letting a player battle 5 times per day. Just totally disregard that I'm editing it out later.
But After thinking, I want to limit the rating system so it isn't abused. A player can battle the same opponent as many times as he wants. But he can only battle the same opponent once per day for it to be rated.
Also, I want to allow a player 50-rated battles in each tier. That way, people can't over battle and they can't boost their rating that much.

It would be better scaling the points you get after beating the same player more than once, for example if you beat Frags 4 times in a row you deserve to get some points for every battle, maybe +20 / +10 / +4 / +1 / +1 / +1 ............................................. / +1...

Yeah but that's not how am elo rating system works. There's already a complex formula to calculate the elo.
I want the winner of the Weekly ELO Tourney to win by,
A: Having the most wins
B: Having beaten the most highest rated.

if we are gonna follow the ELO Formula ( and there are more than one, not only the Chess one ) then we just need to implement that..Also, probabilistically speaking....the highest ELO Rating player is the highest cause it has an High Numbers of Wins and most of them were made against others High Rating players....it's not like i'll advance a lot in rating if i keep winning again low rated players ( and again, the system will avoid matchmaking opponents with higher Rating Gap, so pertty much you should always find yourself against other similar rated players )

if we are gonna follow the ELO Formula ( and there are more than one, not only the Chess one ) then we just need to implement that..Also, probabilistically speaking....the highest ELO Rating player is the highest cause it has an High Numbers of Wins and most of them were made against others High Rating players....it's not like i'll advance a lot in rating if i keep winning again low rated players ( and again, the system will avoid matchmaking opponents with higher Rating Gap, so pertty much you should always find yourself against other similar rated players )

Yeah I pretty much agree with you. Except I still am unsure about still getting points by beating someone you've already beaten for that day. I guess we can boost it up to 3 times per day, but after that no more wins/points should be given.

EDIT: Also, when I accessed the in-game matchmaking system, I realized that first, barely anyone knows about it, and second, how do we inform people and new players about it?

Also it doesn't say that Curselax is banned and that Tyranitar is banned.

Yeah I pretty much agree with you. Except I still am unsure about still getting points by beating someone you've already beaten for that day. I guess we can boost it up to 3 times per day, but after that no more wins/points should be given.

EDIT: Also, when I accessed the in-game matchmaking system, I realized that first, barely anyone knows about it, and second, how do we inform people and new players about it?

Nobody plays it because of all the issues associated with it, such as nobody playing it (the cycle 2stronk) and the lack of any actual rewards for participating, in addition to frequently fighting the same person over and over again.

As for not saying Curselax/Tyranitar are banned, it's because they can't change it without an update (yet), and they aren't going to push an update just to update a banlist in a dead matchmaking system. Hell, I doubt they'd do it for an active matchmaking system.

1)People knows about it but there is 0 motivation to play it ( that's why i suggested weekly and monthly prizes and degrading poits for inactivity )
2)Nothing you can do about it, those will probably get added with the next ( lol ) update, or hotfix maybe...

Really, an ELO loses a lot of its meaning without matchmaking. It's too unreliable and too easy to manipulate if it's based off of regular matches.

The biggest problem with the current matchmaking/ranking/ELO system is how bad the matchmaking algorithm is. Pokemon Showdown's matchmaking actually scales really well for low player numbers, as I learned from playing Gen 3 on there. I don't know exactly what their algorithm is, but it's open source so it's not exactly hard to look and see what algorithm they decided to go with and do something similar.

"too easy to manipulate"
Most of my posts on this page have been about restricting ELO regular matches and making sure it isn't abused.
But I'll try to look for Pokemon Showdown's matchmaking algorithm.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dont-panic-ps-ratings-have-simply-been-rescaled.3497796/
That has some interesting things.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-ratings.3487422/
Ahh, this is also really good.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10989421/matchmaking-algorithm-for-a-game
Some different kinds of algorithms

Still couldn't find Pokemon Showdown's algorithm

The source code is here:

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown

and here:

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client

I haven't really gone through it, so I'm not sure exactly where the matchmaking algorithm is.

Well I guess we have to find it if we want to improve PokeMMO's matchmaking system. We don't have to copy Pokemon Showdown's, there's plenty of other games and websites that use matchmaking algorithms too.

Adding!

So in conclusion we basically have these suggestions.

A Prize System -

A Weekly Prize System for the Player with the most wins (out of 50)

A Monthly Prize for the Player with the most wins (Out of 50)

A New Matchmaking Algorithm 

(A new one has not yet been found, but basically a more efficient algorithm that can pair you up against someone who would be a good opponent)

• 1 year later...