[Implemented] PokeMMO Rating System

Ok. Right now, we're discussing these two problems.

1. How do we fix the matchmaking system and improve the ELO rating system so it's used more often?

2. How do we get people to play and use the Matchmaking system?

Suggestions:

Prize System: A weekly prize (tm, vitamin, etc.) given to the highest rated ELO Player/Player with the most wins/Player With the Highest Rated Wins

Regular Duel Restrictions: 50 Rated Regular Duels Per Week for each Player

Abuse Regulation: You are only able to have one rated match for each opponent per day.

Matchmaking Update: An improvement on the matchmaking algorithm so it is more efficient

Rating View: Your rating is available to view right next to your name or in a Competitive Profile (/who or etc.)

Again, these are just mere suggestions, and you can discuss them below.

(You can read the below if you want)

After playing PokeMMO for some time, I think it'd be cool to implement a Rating system for the people who like to play competitively.

So what is a rating system?
A rating system is a process of which a rating is given to something in particular based on an average of other ratings.

There are many different rating systems for many different things.
There's the percentage rating system, where someone's rating is calculated and converted into a %
There's the five-star rating system, where books/movies are rated based on an average of ratings.
Then, there's the ELO Rating system, perfect for PokeMMO.

Ok, so what's an ELO rating system?
To quote from Wikipedia, "The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in such competitor-versus-competitor games as chess. It is named after its creator Arpad Elo, a Hungarian-born American physics professor."
(If you're still confused, read this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system)
The elo rating system isn't just used for chess. It's used for many video games, soccer leagues, and even by the MLB (Major League Baseball).

If we used an ELO rating system for PokeMMO, we would be able to view and see the potential of people in-game. A lot of people in foreign places are not able to access the forums, but they still play in-game. Also, there's many people who don't play any officials and aren't very well known. Using ELO ratings, you can quickly see that, "Oh, that guy is rated 1500, he's about 75 points rated higher than me. I should duel him." Ratings can also help matchmake.

Looking at a Rating System in a MMO View
So how can a rating system be abused?
In the end, rating systems really help you. If you try to make your rating too high by boosting yourself, you'd be paired up against really good people, when in reality, you started playing a week ago.
If you try to make your rating too low, people would judge you quickly and battling low-rated players doesn't help you improve your team and experience.

So What My Suggestion Is:
I want an ELO Rating System added in the next update that will help competitive players. There can be a different rating system for each Tier, and you can also choose to be 'Unrated.'
Here are different links to help you understand rating systems, the first link also shows how the rating system is calculated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
http://www.parajunkee.com/2014/01/30/bb101-the-pros-cons-of-a-rating-system/

Edit: Ok, I know that an ELO system has been implemented, but my suggestion now is to add your rating next to your name like
YoshiReddy (OU: 1454)

6oo8bc.png

Why, hello there

Um. I did do a search there, so yeah. Most topics that pop-up are topics about bug fixes and game failures.
I seriously did not find another suggestion thread for an ELO rating system.

ToC:https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/22484-suggestion-box-table-of-contents/
ELO Suggestion: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/30470-elo-rating-system-for-matchmade-pvp/

[spoiler] Not sure why it's in the rejected part but okay[/spoiler]
And also Fred is correct.

Oh. Well I guess I brought the idea back into circulation, but having a PokeMMO rating system would boost competitive play so much! Plus, if it's released side-by side with the upcoming PvP Battle Tower, competitive play would change forever.

No, it's just dead, the top 3 players haven't changed since months, and one of them is M.I.A since 2 months more or less

Well then. I searched 'rating system' in the search bar when I should have searched 'ELO rating system.'
Guess you have to lock the thread then.
Edit: Don't lock, let's see where this goes.

Well then. I searched 'rating system' in the search bar when I should have searched 'ELO rating system.'
Guess you have to lock the thread then.

Nah, just use the ToC next time! It tells you how to use it in the top paragraph. It's super convenient. :) nbd, you had good intentions. 

Nah, just use the ToC next time! It tells you how to use it in the top paragraph. It's super convenient. :) nbd, you had good intentions.

Thanks. I don't even think anyone even bothered reading what I had to say but ok.

Would be nice to have a ranking system based on official events rather than a random duel program that is never used. Would take some extra work, but it isn't entirely implausible.

Then again... it seems official events are intended to be replaced by the battle tower... which in my opinion is....

A TERRIBLE IDEA.

Would be nice to have a ranking system based on official events rather than a random duel program that is never used. Would take some extra work, but it isn't entirely implausible.

Then again... it seems official events are intended to be replaced by the battle tower... which in my opinion is....

A TERRIBLE IDEA.

+1 to that.

ToC:https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/22484-suggestion-box-table-of-contents/
ELO Suggestion: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/30470-elo-rating-system-for-matchmade-pvp/

[spoiler] Not sure why it's in the rejected part but okay[/spoiler]
And also Fred is correct.

While this isn't exactly a fresh suggestion, if the only other thread about it us the one you linked, them this really shouldn't be locked, because we can't discuss a suggestion if it's in trash. Really, repeats of old suggestions that were for no reason trashed, should not be getting locked.

Edut; wow that's a lot of typos, swype is not working for me today

While this isn't exactly a fresh suggestion, if the only other thread about it us the one you linked, them this really shouldn't be locked, because we can't discuss a suggestion if it's in trash. Really, repeats of old suggestions that were for no reason trashed, should not be getting locked.

Then the person who is wanting to discuss the suggestion should contact a mod to get it moved from the trash into SB. I don't think that's an issue, while I do agree they don't need to be moved to the trash for seemingly no reason. IMO it should have been moved to the "Implemented Suggestions" section. 

Doesn't matter how "fresh" a suggestion is, a duplicate is a duplicate and keeping the discussion in one place is beneficial. 

Then the person who is wanting to discuss the suggestion should contact a mod to get it moved from the trash into SB. I don't think that's an issue, while I do agree they don't need to be moved to the trash for seemingly no reason. IMO it should have been moved to the "Implemented Suggestions" section.

Doesn't matter how "fresh" a suggestion is, a duplicate is a duplicate and keeping the discussion in one place is beneficial.

I didn't add this on my thread, but I also wanted the ratings to be seen like right next to your name.
As in
YoshiReddy (OU: 1412)
Or
YoshiReddy (UU: 907)
Etc.

Does this forum have a thread merge feature? Thread merge and unlocking/moving the original thread should be standard procedure instead of just trashing both threads. Bare minimum, the mod should unlock and move the original thread when they lock the new one.

Does this forum have a thread merge feature? Thread merge and unlocking/moving the original thread should be standard procedure instead of just trashing both threads. Bare minimum, the mod should unlock and move the original thread when they lock the new one.

Afaik they can, I've seen threads merge before, but if they lock and trash threads listed in the Table Of Contents, why wouldn't they lock and trash any other thread.