[Denied]AFK, Typing & Blocked indicators

15bd282a1e209e4cb8e336244fd03700.png

This image was taken from the virtual hangout of another site

here, players interact with each other in a similar manner to Pokemmo,

They have a chat box, like pokemmo (brought up by clicking the chat bubble icon next to the typeing bar)

they have the whisper option, like pokemmo

they even have player menus upon clicking a player, like pokemmo

however there are some features they have that Pokemmo Lacks.

AFK Symbol - its a small black box with bright red letters indicating that the player is AFK, thus allowing you, the opportunity to avoid typing endless paragraphs to somebody who wont even see it. also avoiding the annoyance of re-typing EVERYTHING you just said. It is activated automatically after about 2-3 minutes of ZERO button input, and disappears as soon as a button is pressed, where it is replaced with "Typing"

Typing indicator - Simply lets you know someone is typing. lets the user become aware of a response to their previous question/statement, so things stay on track. *DOES NOT SHOW UP FOR WHISPERING*  Several times ive seen conversations take many different turns because someone who types very slow is chatting with a proficient typer, where one person is only able to answer 1 question per minute, whereas the other is throwing out 10 questions per minute, and the conversation just gets...... confusing...

Blocked Player - im quite aware that there is already a blocked player feature implemented, however this one serves a greater purpose. not only does it prohibit any speech between the two parties from being seen from one another, it also makes the blocked individual slightly transparent as well. a reminder to the player that they are in fact, BLOCKED. since i have been playing this game, i can count DOZENS of times where players try to contact me to trade shiny pokemon, but forget that i have them blocked form YEARS ago for whatever reason, and they continue to try to send countless messages to me before they finally notice the "fite has blocked you" message in the bar. (the feature isnt necessary but is still neat to have)

301c4b1999530bdb9755155ac27e0719.png

The positions of the symbols could potentially be place either:

1,) in the same location as the "Pokeball" indicator appears

2.) Right at the top part of the players hear

3.) Directly below the player, right in between the feet or slightly lower

Why not using colors of nicknames?

Red for blocked

Blue for AFK

Orange for Typing

+1

it would probably need a rewrite of how the entire chat system works, and I don't know if Shu/Desu is down for that.

it wouldnt

A callback function called when the text field is being edited that sends to the server the information: <chat text field is being edited>. If text field empty, or when additional inputs cease after 5 seconds then it sends: <chat text field is not being edited>.

very simple to have this client to server addition implemented

VERY simple in fact

An AFK indicator wouldn't be a good thing in my opinion, considering you're timed out after 15-30 minutes anyway. If you aren't going to be around, go into /dnd and leave a reason or just sign out. 

Before anyone suggests getting rid of the afk kick, think of the reason for it. It's to give the server more space (less players online). With that said, it's not going anywhere.

A typing indicator wouldn't be horrible; however, it would probably need a rewrite of how the entire chat system works, and I don't know if Shu/Desu is down for that.

I give the blocked indicator a +1 though. However, it isn't something essential, so it could be put off for all I care.

it would probably need a rewrite of how the entire chat system works, and I don't know if Shu/Desu is down for that.

it wouldnt

A callback function called when the text field is being edited that sends to the server the information: <chat text field is being edited>. If text field empty, or when additional inputs cease after 5 seconds then it sends: <chat text field is not being edited>.

very simple to have this client to server addition implemented

VERY simple in fact

Now, the difference between PokeMMO and the website you mention above is that PokeMMO is primarily a fully functional MMO, whereas the other is visual a chatroom with character customization.

The general layout shown in the above picture is horrendous, as is quite evident, a lot of work is put into the spritework that the characters use, and everything else is thrown together without much of a care - this is because it doesn't exist to be a game, but more of a social hangout; which is the reason why such indicators are important to the users experience.

People actively using a visual chatroom can benefit from knowing when a person is typing, when they are AFK or whether they are blocked. So they are aware of when they are being ignored in the only medium of 'gameplay' that it has.

I deem this unnecessary in an MMO environment, where there is much more to the game than conversing.

Furthermore;

• A player cannot be AFK for more than 20 minutes before the AFK timer comes into effect. - This means an AFK indicator would have to kick in around 10 minutes and then 10 minutes later, the player is then kicked from the game, making it a fairly useless feature.

• Many players may not want others to know when they are currently typing, and having an option to turn such a feature off would lead to many inconsistencies

• An indicator for notifying you of whether a player has blocked you is also unnecessary, as the only time this information is relevant to you is when you wish to converse with them; in which case we already display the message '[player] has blocked you'.

Disregarding the arguments for whether these indicators are necessary or not, they would further clutter up the overworld, which at peak times can already be quite difficult to keep up with.

ah!

noted

i just find it would add a nice touch to it. maybe optional features? 

regardless, it was deemed neat enough to add into the other virtual hangout in later updates, but as you stated, they server 2 different purposes.

i do however, think the block transparency would be neat

• 2 weeks later...

o3o mmm lekaleka thinks this isnt a bad idea but not dat gewd ;_; leka dun wan other lekas to kno if leka is typing o3o leka faking afk ;_; and leka got blocked 

translated: i think this is a half-bad/good idea, i dun really wanna know if a guy is typing or blocked since i have a block list or afking ~~~~ all this to darkshade's reasons. the typing part is kinda kewl but well i dun kno if someone takes 5 mins to type cuz sometime ppl will chat just like

leka: hey *less dan a second*

leka1: o3o *idk*

suthin like dat <3