Design Your Own Region [ April 18th-May 28th]

First Attempt at creating a Firered/Leafgreen Region Map.

Region_Map1.jpg

Hopefully, my practice will improve, but I'm hoping to get good enough to do Diamond/Pearl Maps. We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34nSHFzyQr8 - Good link to help get started on FireRed/LeafGreen Maps.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148992 - Diamond/Pearl. The FireRed one is more helpful though.

Region_Map1.jpg

Hopefully, my practice will improve, but I'm hoping to get good enough to do Diamond/Pearl Maps. We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34nSHFzyQr8 - Good link to help get started on FireRed/LeafGreen Maps.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148992 - Diamond/Pearl. The FireRed one is more helpful though.

Thanks for the links, it really helped me in doing my map. :)

dis might sound stupid but can i take a pokedex pic and edit it :L  also can the region be exactly same to the country cuz mine atm is just a lil different and can i take an existing trainer sprites and edit it and den add the name?

Region_Map1.jpg

Much "Creative". 

Thanks for the links, it really helped me in doing my map. :)

No problem ^_^

It helped me out a lot too :3

Time to perfect my Firered/Leafgreen MAP MAKING SKILLS YEAH!

EDIT: It was my first attempt at creating a map. What'd you expect? A masterpiece? I'll keep trying, but making maps that look good and perfect are actually harder than it looks.

EDIT: It was my first attempt at creating a map. What'd you expect? A masterpiece? I'll keep trying, but making maps that look good and perfect are actually harder than it looks.

I know what you mean <_<  It's a lots of firsts for me too. At least it's fun!

Oh and in case I got it wrong (there was some contradicting info): Will extra graphics & art give bonus points? Or only extra text descriptions?

the submission times for these contests is always way too long. everyone forgets all about it weeks before the deadline

Yeah it probably needs to be shortened a bit. Again, in order to get first you'd have to work really hard.

Edit: Do we have to draw the new Pokedex?

A Pokedex with a new design. Please try to keep it from being close in similarity to other already existing Pokedex's. While they can share traits, having a carbon copy shape with just a few buttons moved around will not do.

It sounds like we have to draw it,

the submission times for these contests is always way too long. everyone forgets all about it weeks before the deadline

I think it's good for this, this sort of thing should be done over at least a couple weeks (imo). They tend to make the art contests have long submission times because they don't get a ton of activity and interest. 

I think it's good for this, this sort of thing should be done over at least a couple weeks (imo). They tend to make the art contests have long submission times because they don't get a ton of activity and interest.

Well, at least I get lots of time to perfect my region map. I tried drawing a rough draft, but it failed. All it did was help me implement some of my Pokemon's lcoations.

What programs are people using to create a new region? From reading threads I've seen Photoshop, rpg maker, MS paint ext.

The best in my opinion is Paint. Look at the tutorials Ive linked, those regions were created by using paint.
It depends on what youre better at.

dis might sound stupid but can i take a pokedex pic and edit it :L  also can the region be exactly same to the country cuz mine atm is just a lil different and can i take an existing trainer sprites and edit it and den add the name?

You can, so long as it looks different enough from already existing Pokedex's. 
Exactly the same? While it should be based off of one of our real world locations, it shouldn't be a carbon copy. For example it shouldn't be the same shape as the country, and the towns shouldn't all be ones from the country. So while setting, and theme can be similar, you do need to incorporate originality to the design of it.

If you mean altering already existing trainer sprites to make your own type of trainer, that's certainly fine.

I know what you mean <_<  It's a lots of firsts for me too. At least it's fun!

Oh and in case I got it wrong (there was some contradicting info): Will extra graphics & art give bonus points? Or only extra text descriptions?

Not contradicting, just assurance as well as encouragement. While drawings are allowed, there is no need for someone to submit extra artwork they're not comfortable doing. I'm simply encouraging people to be as expressive as they can be. For some people that means including drawings, and for others that can mean thoroughly crafted text that come in healthy paragraphs. But having a ton of artwork and lacking in the descriptions certainly won't pull you ahead.

Perhaps so, but my thinking for this was that I know there are some folks who will be caught up with finals/exams and such like that, as well as the fact that it's also a project that requires a great deal of work and time. I don't want anyone to feel or unable to enter because of the large task at hand, coupled with a short time period. I'd like there to be a confidence when folks are entering their submissions that they did all they could think of for their creation, and are thoroughly pleased with it. But I will certainly be less lengthy on future events that are honed in on a smaller focus!

Yeah it probably needs to be shortened a bit. Again, in order to get first you'd have to work really hard.

Edit: Do we have to draw the new Pokedex?

A Pokedex with a new design. Please try to keep it from being close in similarity to other already existing Pokedex's. While they can share traits, having a carbon copy shape with just a few buttons moved around will not do.

It sounds like we have to draw it,

Nope. As stated only the map needs to be drawn. A Pokedex can simply be described with words.