Photo

How to pick your best Team.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Ok , since this community is growing more and more , I was thinking of making a guide for people to be able to pick their best team , With Tanks Sweepers and what not .

So firstly we will go through the types of pokemon and their weakness's

Types :
Fire,: Weak to Water , Ground and rock type moves.
Water : Weak to Electric and grass .
Grass: Weak to, Fire, Ice , Bug , Poison and Flying type moves.
Rock: . Water , Grass , Fighting , Ground and Steel
Ground: Water , Grass and Ice
Psychic: Weak to Bug Ghost and Dark .
Dragon : Ice and Dragon
Ice : Weak To Fire, Fighting, Rock and Steel.
Dark: Fighting and Bug
Normal. It's Only weakness is Fighting .
Bug: Fire , Flying and Rock .
Fighting : Weak to Flying and Pyschic
Poison: Ground and Pyschic
Electric:. Weak to ground Moves only.
Flying: Ice , Electric and Rock.
Steel: Fire , Fighting and ground .
Ghost: Is weak to Ghost and Dark Type Moves.

Depending on the Mixed type pokemon like Rhydon being ground and Rock , Some of his weakness's will disappear and some will turn to x4 damage such as water and Ice. Also like Dragonite he is a flying.dragon type so he will suffer from x4 damage to ice.

The List of Pokemon and Types .

Fire Pokemon in Game Currently are :
Charmander , Charmeleon , Charizard , Vulpix , Ninetails , Growlithe , Arcanine , and Flareon .

Water Pokemon in Game currently are :

Squirtle , Wartortle , Blastoise , Psyduck , Golduck , Poliwag , Poliwhirl , Poliwrath (Mixed Pokemon with Fighting ) , Tentacool , Tentacruel , Slowpoke (Mixed with Psychic ) SlowBro (Mixed with Psychic ) , Sell , Dewgong ( Mixed with Ice ) Shelder , Cloyster ( Mixed with Ice ) , Krabby , Kingler , Horsea , Seadra , Goldeen , Seaking , Staryu , Starmie ( Mixed with Psychic ) Magikcarp , Gyrados (Mixed with Flying) Lapras (Mixed with Ice ) , Vaporeon , Omanyte (Mixed with Rock ) Omastar ( Mixed with rock ) Kabuto ( Mixed with rock ) Kabutops (Mixed with Rock )

Grass Pokemon Currently in game are :
(Mixed with Poison are ) Bulbasaur , Ivysaur , Venasaur , Oddish ,Gloom , Vileplume , Bellsprout , Weepingbell , Victreebell . (Mixed with Bug ) , Paras and Parasect . (Mixed with Pyschic ) Exeggcute and Exeggutor .

Rock Pokemon Currently in game are :
(Rock Mixed with Ground )
Geodude , Graveller , Golem , Rhyhorn , Rhydon and Onix .
(Rock Mixed with Water)
Omanyte , Omastar , Kabuto and Kabutops .
(Rock mixed with Flying )
Aerodactyl .

Ground pokemon currently in game are :

Sandshrew , Sandslash ,Diglett , Dugtrio , Cubone and Marowak .

(Ground Mixed with Rock )
Geodude , Graveller , Golem, Onix , Rhyhorn and Rhydon .

(Ground Mixed with Poison )
Nidoking and Nidoqueen .

Psychic pokemon currently in the game :
Abra , Kadabra , Alakazam , Drowzee , Hypno and Mr . Mime .

(Psychic Mixed with water )

Starmie , Slowpoke and SlowBro

(Psychic Mixed with Ice)
Jynx

(Pshychic Mixed with Grass)
Exeggcute , Exeggutor

Dragon Type pokemon Currently in the game:

Dratini , Dragonair .

(Mixed with Flying)
Dragonite

Ice Pokemon currently in the game:

Note: Their is no Single Type ice pokemon in the game they are all mixed so far.

(ice mixed with water)
Lapras, Dewgon , Cloyster

(Mixed with Psychic)
Jynx .

Dark type Pokemon currently in the game :

Umbreon .

Normal Type Pokemon Currently in the game :
Rattata , Raticate , Clefairy , Clefable , Jigglypuff , Wigglytuff , Meowth , Persian , Chansey , Kangaskhan , Tauros , Ditto , Eevee , Snorlax .

(Normal Mixed with Flying )

Pidgey , Pidgeotto , Pidgeot , Spearow , Fearow , Duduo , Dudrio

Bug Type Pokemon Currently in the game

Caterpie , Methapod , Pinsir .

(Bug Type Mixed with Poison )

Weedle , Kakuna , Beedrill , Venonat , Venomoth .

(Bug mixed with Grass)

Paras , Parasect .

(Bug mixed with Flying )

Scyther

Fighting Type pokemon currently in the game :

Mankey , Primeape , Machop , Machoke ,Machamp Hitmonlee , Himtomchan .

(Fighting Mixed with Water )

Poliwrath .

Poison Type Pokemon Currently in the Game :

Ekans , Arbox , Nidoran (f) , Nidoran (m) Nidorina , Nidorino, Grimer , Muk , Koffing , Weezing

Poison Mixed with Grass :

Bulbasaur , Ivysaur , Venasaur , Oddish , Gloom , Vileplume , Bellsprout Weepingbell , Victreebell

(Poison Mixed with Bug) .

Weedle , Kakuna , Beedrill , Venonat , Venomoth

(Poison Mixed with Flying) .

Zubat , Golbat , Crobat

(Poison Mixed with Ghost)

Gastly ,Haunter ,Gengar

(Poison Mixed with Water )

Tentacool . Tentacruel

(Poison Mixed with Ground )

Nidoqueen and Nidoking .

Electric pokemon currently in the game:
Pikachu , Raichu , Voltorb , Electrode, Electabuzz , Jolteon .

(Electric Mixed with Steel)

Magneton , Magnemite

Flying Type Pokemon Currently In The Game:
(Flying like Ice in this game is also a mixed type pokemon )

Fire : Charizard
Poison: Zubat , Golbat , Crobat
Bug : Butterfree , Scyther
Normal : Pidgey ,Pidgeotto ,Pidgeot ,Spearow , Fearow , Duduo Dudrio
Water : Gyrados
Rock : Aerodactyl

Steel Pokemon Currently in the game
Currently their is no Set Steel type in the game only two that are mixed with electric .
Magneton and Megnemite .

Ghost Pokemon Currently in the Game :
Like steel their is no set ghost type yet , its mixed with poison .

Gastly , Gengar , Haunter :

So now that we have all the list of pokemon and types with their weakness's out of the way we will continue on to making a team .

Every team should have :

Sp Sweeper .
Tank
Physical Sweeper .
All Rounded Pokemon.

Special Sweepers :

Well the easiest way to explain a sweeper in a pokemon that can land first with high special attack and that has a good move pool .

Examples of special sweepers being , Alakazam , Espeon , Starmie , Gengar etc...

Alakazam being the public favorite for some reason but its very weak to physical attacks .

I'd say the best special sweeper would be starmie , 520 all round base stats and can take physical attacks with also dealing a great amount of damage . It can learn moves like thunder and blizzard along with surf and recover in the current game too .

Tank Pokemon
Usually a tank is what it sounds like . A High HP . Good defensive pokemon being able to endure taking hits and dishing out some punishment too .

Im not here to pick your pokemon but examples would be

Snorlax , Chansey and so on .

I would Pick snorlax personally , as it can dish out more punishment than chansey . With moves like recover on snorlax and whatever physical attacks you use on him he is a very good tank pokemon his only weakness being to fighting too .

Physical Sweeper :

Physical Sweeper is like a sp atk sweeper only in the physical category .
A pokemon that is fast and can deal a severe amount of damage with a physical attack .

Pokemon like Tauros for example .

Very good pokemon stats wise . This pokemon is a beast . Imo one of the best physical in the game . But this is personal Preference .

All Rounded Pokemon :
I guess it is what is sounds like , They are few and hard to find all rounded pokemon , which is also down to personal preference .
Dragonite is probably the only one in this game that has decent all rounded stats . And depending on its nature you could probably use one competitively going by its stats . It has good health , atk , sp atk , defence and sp defence . It's speed is not the highest but it makes up for it .

I'd recommend a max of 2 all rounded pokemon in your team when it comes to it .
They do not have to be dragonites but it's all down to personal preference too .

Iv's and EV's .

Ev stands for Effort Value
Iv stands for Individual Value .

Looking for a good pokemon with good IV's can be a pain in the butt and it can be time consuming depending how lucky or unlucky you are .

EV's are rewarded at the end of every battle . Some might get 1 , 2 or 3 . Depending on the pokemon , also depending on the pokemon it will contribute to each one of its stats .
Eg. Fighting a tangela will grant you 1 Defense ev point .

I would recommend training two stats up to 252 .
Two of its best base stats that is .

Alakazam for example . Train its EV's with Speed and Special attack .

Also to check Iv's use this here . http://www.serebii.n...iv-calcdp.shtml

Move Pools :
This will vary between every pokemon , Just use your personal preference and choose special moves for special pokemon and physical moves for physical pokemon.

Some pokemon like raichu and dragonite are blessed so can actually learn both . They can be both physical and special .

So for dragonite you could teach him .

Outrage
Thunder
Blizzard
Flamethrower or something . Yes i know its not in the game , I just got brain block I forget the two other Tm's for fire haha .

Anyways I hope this was helpful . I did it in the last hour or so .
Anyone have questions feel free to PM .
I'm online a fair bit so it shouldnt be a problem getting back to you .

Updated Spooky Pokemon :

Cacnea/Cacturn .

First off , we see Cacnea is a Grass type pokemon , with weakness's to Fire, Ice, Poison , Flying and Bug .
This pre evolved form of Cacturn has decent Atk, Sp Atk but suffers defensively and in speed.
It evolves into Cacturn at a pretty decent level level 32 , which turns into a Grass, Dark type .
With its Base Stats of 475 and it's Atk and Sp atk being well over average at 115 each .
This would not be a bad pokemon to counter Ground type pokemon or Psychic type pokemon .
Pretty much alakazam cannot touch this pokemon unless he has a Fire , or Ice type move .

Adding onto its previous weakness's he is also prone to fighting and Bug type moves deal x4 damage so be careful when using .

Hoothoot/Noctowl

They both share the same type when evolved just your normal/flying type pokemon .
Weak to Electric , Ice and rock type moves.
I couldn't see to many people using this in the competitive game due to it's poor stats .
But if you wanted to it could be possible .
Hoothoot evolves at a pretty good level , level 20 . Noctowls base stats for HP are well over average being 100 in his base stats .
Also his special attack is decent but nothing special . But in my opinion it's to easy to counter this pokemon with it's low defensive stats being well under average at 50 .

Sableye .

Sableye is the only pokemon in the game so far with no weakness's .
It's a dark/ghost type .
The only problem I have with sableye it's stats are way to low . Even tho it has no weakness's it would be pretty easy to take this pokemon out .
It could be a good staller if you used him correctly being immue to psychic , fighting and normal type moves.
but after that I pretty much could see no use for him .

Shuppet/Bannette

A Ghost type pokemon in its two evolutions .
Shuppet evolves at a pretty late level in my opinion which is a downfall , but the work pays off I think .
Bannette even tho it's slow it has really good attack stats and it's special attack is decent too .
It's immune to fighting and normal types and Dark and Ghost are super effective against it .
It also learns Shadow Ball at level 48 which is probably its best move and being a physical in the game it's pretty much perfect for bannette.
If I would use bannette myself , It would be merely to cause status's infliction .

Carvhana/Sharpedo

Carvhana evolves into sharpedo level 30 .
It's a dark/water type .
It's weak to Electric , Grass , Fighting and Bug .
When evolved Sharpedo has good speed , attack and special attack stats.
It is immune to psychic type moves and Ghost and dark type moves are not very effective .
it's a great counter for Gengars and Alakazams depending on whether they have shockwave or not.
Being a very use able pokemon indeed in this game.
He can also counter fire types aswell.

Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir

Duskull evolves into Dusclops at level 37 .
It's a ghost type pokemon .
Being weak to Ghost and Dark and Normal and Fighting dealing no damage to it .
It's defensive stats are amazing being 130 each on Defense and Sp. Defense .
This pokemon could definitely be used as a special or physical wall and a pretty good one.
It only has two weakness's and has an ok move pool .
It learns will o wisp at level 41 , a pretty good move and an annoying status infliction .
Like bannette their is many ways to use ghost type pokemon it's all down to personal preference .
Dusknoir is not yet available as reaper cloth isn't in game yet.

updated 11/10/12

Anyways Enjoy
  • Palpatine, Quetzalcoatl, Exp and 3 others like this

#2 BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond
  • Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

http://forums.pokemm...6-guide-tavern/

#3 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

http://forums.pokemm...6-guide-tavern/

I would of posted it there but i already had it started haha

#4 Dontea

Dontea
  • Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Nice guide for people learning about the competitive scene ^^

#5 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Nice guide for people learning about the competitive scene ^^

Thanks man :)

#6 bl0nde

bl0nde
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

good job, Mr. Aragorn! ;)

#7 HerpDerpBox

HerpDerpBox
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Taurooooos! <3

#8 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thanks Guys , let me know if i should do an update version when the game expands :P
Ill try add pictures and stuff next time .

#9 JimCatchers

JimCatchers
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

Nice guide.

Some comments though.

You explain that there's two types of sweepers, but only specify one type of tank.
While a blissey does have high hp, it can take about as many physical hits as a starmie because of blisseys pitiful defense. [even snorlax can't take too many hits from physical attacks because weak to fighting]

Golem, Vaporeon, Slowbro, Sandslash, Exeggutor make very good physical tanks at the moment.
whereas Blissey, umbreon, hypno make excellent sp. defense tanks.

Also, switching/suiciding pokemon play a big role in pvp. Taking advantage of moves so you can get an easy switch in [and free hits/buffs], or letting a pokemon die so when you switch in and you can outspeed the enemy pokemon currently out on the playing field.
  • ZenoCross and ShinySnorli like this

#10 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Nice guide.

Some comments though.

You explain that there's two types of sweepers, but only specify one type of tank.
While a blissey does have high hp, it can take about as many physical hits as a starmie because of blisseys pitiful defense. [even snorlax can't take too many hits from physical attacks because weak to fighting]

Golem, Vaporeon, Slowbro, Sandslash, Exeggutor make very good physical tanks at the moment.
whereas Blissey, umbreon, hypno make excellent sp. defense tanks.

Also, switching/suiciding pokemon play a big role in pvp. Taking advantage of moves so you can get an easy switch in [and free hits/buffs], or letting a pokemon die so when you switch in and you can outspeed the enemy pokemon currently out on the playing field.

Thanks for the input man , I was writing for so long I'd say i was just tired and forgot about that but if i ever do one again id make sure to be more thorough and mention it . thanks :)

#11 Thaede

Thaede
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Psychic is weak to Dark, if I'm not mistaken. Not Ground.

#12 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Psychic is weak to Dark, if I'm not mistaken. Not Ground.

Fixed. Sorry man when you write 2000 words or so , your bound to make a mistake :)

#13 Palpatine

Palpatine
  • Members

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Nice guide Aragorn :) Extremely useful and will no doubt help many a player. You truly deserve your throne at Minas Tirith.

#14 Fideedle

Fideedle
  • Members

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Might need to update this with New evolutions and the "Spooky" Pokemon but thanks :D!

#15 Dontea

Dontea
  • Members

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Great guide u put a lot of work into this i'm extremely impressed XD

#16 OceanDweller

OceanDweller
  • Members

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Moved to Guide Tavern.
  • Aragorn likes this

#17 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

What do you think about Steelix as a tank now that he is available?

#18 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

What do you think about Steelix as a tank now that he is available?

Steelix as a tank , Well it is there as an option and arguably a good one.
His four weakness's being , Fire , Water , Fighting and ground .
Two of those being special based moves .

His Over Base Stats
Hp :75 (260-354)
ATK: 85 (157-295)
Defense: 200 (364-548)
Sp.Atk:55 (103-229)
Sp.Def :65 (121-251)
Speed 30 (58-174)

OVR: 510 .

Ok , Taking a look at his stats , Steelix is not a bad wall at all .
Defensively he has one of the highest if not the highest defenses in the game, and along with that his physical attacks are not half bad .
With only 2 special weakness's being fire and water that would be easy to bypass if used in the right team .

To use steelix to his potential Get an Onix at a relaxed nature can be found in any cave as you know .
Max sure be as picky as possible with his defensive IV's to cut out his other two weakness's of ground and fighting .
And look for decent atk IV's I'd say .

In his move pool the only thing I could suggest is to definitely get Earthquake on him if you could spare it , and teach him double edge. It does 1/3 of the damage it deals in recoil so watch out for that .

After that he is very usable as a pokemon , and great to countor, jolteons, electabuzz's, raichus, weezings, nidokings, nidokings, pretty much every poison and electric type out there. Being completely immune to both those types. (except mixed types such as Poison-Grass) But still wouldn't be very effective.

Hope this makes some sense , I am only after coming back from a going away party and I am slightly hammered.
  • Giygas likes this

#19 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hope this makes some sense , I am only after coming back from a going away party and I am slightly hammered.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice ^_^

#20 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Might need to update this with New evolutions and the "Spooky" Pokemon but thanks :D!

I'll do an Update 2moro :)

#21 Chuckie

Chuckie
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Okay,
except get impisih nature because of reasons.
and if youre going to use double edge you should get an onix with the rock head ability, which negates recoil damage.

#22 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

Okay,
except get impisih nature because of reasons.
and if youre going to use double edge you should get an onix with the rock head ability, which negates recoil damage.

Ah, good call. I completely forgot about about that ability :D

#23 Blockington

Blockington
  • Members

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

I like the mention of dragonite because not many people value him. I like him so much though that I am making a team entirely of dragonites: http://forums.pokemm...-of-dragonites/

#24 IzzetGuildmage

IzzetGuildmage
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Okay, just pointing out some flaws here, take it as constructive criticism :)

- Rhydon isn't 4x weak to ice, you probably meant grass.
- Sweepers don't have to be fast. Examples of good but slow sweepers are Snorlax, Machamp, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Slowbro, Scizor and Marowak. Slow sweepers usually abuse setup moves (curse, calm mind, swords dance) and paralysis or priority moves.
- All rounded pokemon is a bit vague. There are mixed attackers and mixed walls. A good example of mixed attackers are Charizard and Snorlax. Charizard can run Focus Punch to surprise enemy special walls, and Snorlax can run Fire Blast to toast opposing physical walls (most notably steel-types).
- You shouldn't blindly put 252 EVs into speed and 252 EVs into the appropriate attacking stat. Look at common threats and calculate how many speed EVs you need to outspeed them. Put the rest in HP for added survivability. Some walls don't want 252 HP/252 defense, but some offensive power as well (for example Slowbro benefits from ~100 SpA EVs to give his dual STABs a bit more punch).
- Sharpedo has worse defenses than Delibird. Let that sink in for a bit. Then look at its base 95 speed, just short of the popular fast sweepers (starmie, alakazam, gengar, dodrio, tauros etc etc). It's not great (though if you can set up an Agility, it could tear through a team). Also, it gets 2HKOed by most faster fire types' STAB moves. It's not a great counter to Charizard.
- Dusclops is also notable for learning Night shade, which is an attack that hits everything except normal-types for a flat 100 damage. No attack investment required.

#25 Aragorn

Aragorn
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Okay, just pointing out some flaws here, take it as constructive criticism :)

- Rhydon isn't 4x weak to ice, you probably meant grass.
- Sweepers don't have to be fast. Examples of good but slow sweepers are Snorlax, Machamp, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Slowbro, Scizor and Marowak. Slow sweepers usually abuse setup moves (curse, calm mind, swords dance) and paralysis or priority moves.
- All rounded pokemon is a bit vague. There are mixed attackers and mixed walls. A good example of mixed attackers are Charizard and Snorlax. Charizard can run Focus Punch to surprise enemy special walls, and Snorlax can run Fire Blast to toast opposing physical walls (most notably steel-types).
- You shouldn't blindly put 252 EVs into speed and 252 EVs into the appropriate attacking stat. Look at common threats and calculate how many speed EVs you need to outspeed them. Put the rest in HP for added survivability. Some walls don't want 252 HP/252 defense, but some offensive power as well (for example Slowbro benefits from ~100 SpA EVs to give his dual STABs a bit more punch).
- Sharpedo has worse defenses than Delibird. Let that sink in for a bit. Then look at its base 95 speed, just short of the popular fast sweepers (starmie, alakazam, gengar, dodrio, tauros etc etc). It's not great (though if you can set up an Agility, it could tear through a team). Also, it gets 2HKOed by most faster fire types' STAB moves. It's not a great counter to Charizard.
- Dusclops is also notable for learning Night shade, which is an attack that hits everything except normal-types for a flat 100 damage. No attack investment required.

Thanks for your input .
I know this guide isn't 100 % perfect but it's my first one and I did put a decent bit of effort into it.
Thanks for the constructive criticisms .
I didn't want to include every wall , sweeper in etc , Because the best way to learn is to teach yourself this guide is merely to give a general idea.
Input means alot tho thanks man :)