Borderline Tournament [April 10th]

vXrSjfN.jpg

This tournament is restricted to pokemon that have a usage below 20% according to the Round 1 Usage Statistics for March. (Note in the Banlist that Chansey is also banned)

Details:
32 Players
32 Reserves
6v6 Tournament

Single Battle
Level 50

Date + Time:
Date: Thursday 10th April
Time: 4:00 PM EDT | 1:00 PM PDT | 8:00 PM GMT

BRACKET

Reserves List

[spoiler]soniczen

yettodie
Gudulberthe
NataliaHeart
TheChampionMike
BikerASH
JSTUD
forfiter
pel
Rigamorty
Raptori
augustred
Amanu
Barrage
easyrole
Javess
JoosEAnngeL
Goldeneyes
Goticsel
CamGambino
Kevola
Daniellegal
Tobiass
Shiigo
Namikazeyondaime
NightwingX
Pokennon
TxusdOz
precedence
Flandrau
WallDisney
Eggplant
kallbaynne
[/spoiler]

Date: Sunday 6th April
Time: 4:00 PM EDT | 1:00 PM PDT | 8:00 PM GMT

Clauses:
Sleep/OHKO/Pristine/Species/Hax Item/Evasion/Bag Item/Time/Self KO
List of Clauses and what they mean

Banned Moves: Hyper Beam

Banned Pokemon:

Wobbuffet

Snorlax

Salamence

Starmie

Blissey

Vaporeon

Jolteon

Dugtrio

Marowak

Skarmory

Gengar

Claydol

Tyranitar

Chansey

Prize:
1st: Shiny Machop

2nd: 500 RP

Registration Method: Post your IGN in this thread once registration has occurred. I will allow two sign ups per forum account, given they are in different posts. Test posting in this thread will result in being unable to participate in the tournament. Please only sign up players who have asked you to in order to prevent any confusion the day of the tournament. Registration is based on Forum Time. Registration will be first come, first serve.

If you are on the bracket for this tournament and cannot attend please send me a PM, or post in the thread letting me know you cannot make it, this lessens the time it takes for signs ups the day of the tournament. Thanks in advance.

Notes: 

• Do not AFK Timeout your opponent unless your referee has stated you may. 
  • Disconnecting during a match will result in a DQ.
  • Do not block your opponents, or the Staff running the Event. If there is evidence of this and disregarding staff requesting you to unblock said individuals you will be DQ'd.  
  • Volpi Clause (requesting to change channels for your matches) will not be allowed for this tournament. Entrants are encouraged to uncheck "Render Overworld in Battle". (Menu -> Settings -> Video).
  • Tournament Mode must be used for all duels.

sooo...

[spoiler]

claydol

weezing

dusklops

breloom

kingdra

espeon

heracross

dragonite

exeggutor

arcanine

aerodactyl

venasaur

hariyanma

scizor

alakazam

ludicolo

machamp

gyrados

ursaring

charizard

smeargle

umbreon

crobat

lapras

slowbro

houndoom

kangaskhan

jumpluff

jynx

slowking

tauros

+ all uu's

+ all nu's

[/spoiler]

this?

sooo...

[spoiler]

claydol

weezing

dusklops

breloom

kingdra

espeon

heracross

dragonite

exeggutor

arcanine

aerodactyl

venasaur

hariyanma

scizor

alakazam

ludicolo

machamp

gyrados

ursaring

charizard

smeargle

umbreon

crobat

lapras

slowbro

houndoom

kangaskhan

jumpluff

jynx

slowking

tauros

+ all uu's

+ all nu's

[/spoiler]

this?

Banned Pokemon:

Wobbuffet

Snorlax

Salamence

Starmie

Blissey

Vaporeon

Jolteon

Dugtrio

Marowak

Skarmory

Gengar

Claydol

Tyranitar

Chansey

Every Pokemon that is not in the banned pokemon list from the OP is allowed.

Whoaaa where is the dragonite ban?!?

Interesting point. On one hand: Yes, Dragonite would be a big threat to this tournament. It's S-rank, has sweeping powers, Sub/punch/bolt/beam, Mixed attacker,...

On the other hand, looking at the purpose of the event (aside from the obvious purpose: player enjoyment): A tournament for the pokemon in OU with relatively low usage. So players will perhaps have to do an effort to breed other comps because they used 3-4 of the pokemon in the banlist now. Eventually, they will participate, see that one of their Pokemon actually is better then they expected. After the tournament, they will have had a new experience, and some thoughts about their Pokemon they might have not used before this tournament. Perhaps they might enter the next tournament with one of them. So maybe, but this is a wild assumption, this could help making the OU metagame less centralizing, by giving Pokemon with low usage a chance to shine. From that perspective, I have my doubts on banning Dragonite. I think it kinda goes against the mindset of the tournament from that perspective. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

However, looking at possible checks/counters, Rain Dance teams (Kingdra and Ludicolo). Alakazam is a check as well with Ice Punch on some Dragonites depending on their build, and can come in on a predicted special attack.

Weezing and Slowbro aren't bad against it either. And a lot of Pokemon tend to pack HP Ice.

It's not that the entire tournament is broken because Dragonite is in it.

PS: The reason for the Chansey ban is Blissey incase you're wondering.

Tranz, why are you so obsessed with shiny machop? Like sheeeush. 

[spoiler] Cool tournament though ;D[/spoiler]

Oh, I didn't even cross my mind that I gave one in my latest Spontaneous, I only check for previous prizes in Official Tournaments. I don't think it matters though.

In fact it has never been given out in an Official Tournament, and Machop needed some love, so. ;)

I'd love to see Tranz's ava as justin bieber or miley cyrus

[spoiler]am I too cruel?[/spoiler]

Thanks for proving Orangeslash why that would be a bad idea ;)

Interesting point. On one hand: Yes, Dragonite would be a big threat to this tournament. It's S-rank, has sweeping powers, Sub/punch/bolt/beam, Mixed attacker,...

On the other hand, looking at the purpose of the event (aside from the obvious purpose: player enjoyment): A tournament for the pokemon in OU with relatively low usage. So players will perhaps have to do an effort to breed other comps because they used 3-4 of the pokemon in the banlist now. Eventually, they will participate, see that one of their Pokemon actually is better then they expected. After the tournament, they will have had a new experience, and some thoughts about their Pokemon they might have not used before this tournament. Perhaps they might enter the next tournament with one of them. So maybe, but this is a wild assumption, this could help making the OU metagame less centralizing, by giving Pokemon with low usage a chance to shine. From that perspective, I have my doubts on banning Dragonite. I think it kinda goes against the mindset of the tournament from that perspective. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

However, looking at possible checks/counters, Rain Dance teams (Kingdra and Ludicolo). Alakazam is a check as well with Ice Punch on some Dragonites depending on their build, and can come in on a predicted special attack.

Weezing and Slowbro aren't bad against it either. And a lot of Pokemon tend to pack HP Ice.

It's not that the entire tournament is broken because Dragonite is in it.

Tyranitar's ban will mean a huge rise in Dragonite's usage. I suspect this will become one of the most used Pokemon very shortly due to its incredible wall breaking capabilities. Also I notice Dugtrio is very heavily used, and Dragonite is one Pokemon that can escape its wrath. IMO Dragonite is not a BL Pokemon, but I guess it is not used in PokeMMO. Remember that some time ago we forewent usage statistics and based these things on judgment of power alone, but I notice you are not sticking to that.

Remember that some time ago we forewent usage statistics and based these things on judgment of power alone, but I notice you are not sticking to that.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of this event. It holds no relevance to tiering. This isn't BL as a tier, it's just to let lower used Pokemon have a chance to shine. This tournament is a gimmick.

There is no implication to tiering at all.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of this event. It holds no relevance to tiering. This isn't BL as a tier, it's just to let lower used Pokemon have a chance to shine. This tournament is a gimmick.

There is no implication to tiering at all.

BL is a pseudo-tier determined strictly based on strength, even by smogon's definition. They are Pokemon who are strong but not strong enough to shine in OU. Dragonite does NOT fit this definition. Maybe you should have called the tournament "OU underdogs" or something if this is what you wanted. Maybe I'm just paying too much attention to semantics though.

BL is a pseudo-tier determined strictly based on strength, even by smogon's definition. They are Pokemon who are strong but not strong enough to shine in OU. Dragonite does NOT fit this definition. Maybe you should have called the tournament "OU underdogs" or something if this is what you wanted. Maybe I'm just paying too much attention to semantics though.

Perhaps a better name should have been used in hindsight. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Dragonite is definately not BL as how a BL tier would work, I agree.

Would chansey be too powerful? many of the counters for blissey are in this such as machamp, breloom, dragonite (eh sort of), dusclops, kangaskhan, scizor (if no fire move on chansey), heracross and physical attackers in general as chansey only has 35 base special attack

Oh, I didn't even cross my mind that I gave one in my latest Spontaneous, I only check for previous prizes in Official Tournaments. I don't think it matters though.

In fact it has never been given out in an Official Tournament, and Machop needed some love, so. ;)

I totally thought you gave one out for your first Spontaneous tournament too... but yes, Machop deserves some love   :)