[Implemented] Monthly Official Tournaments

Suggestion: Bring back monthly officials for each tier (OU, UU, Doubles, NU)

I miss having that week of non-stop officials to train for month in and month out. I think we should bring them all back and start beating the holy hell out of each other again in all tiers.

Pros: Stimulates the game by creating a competitive atmosphere that has been lacking over the past few months. Sure the unofficial PSL has started some craze, but unfortunately it excludes probably 75% of the community. This also allows competitive players the chance to play for prizes and to duel in a variety of tiers. Recently there has been a few nice OU and UU officials, but we are still missing doubles and NU.

Cons: Asking the mods to do something. We all know they are busy, but I beg of you (Tranzmaster) come to our rescue and hold some scheduled officials for all tiers.

Even if it's just one of each tier per month I, and we, would greatly appreciate it. We haven't had an official doubles tournament since I won my masters in December (excluding the actual Master's tournament; edit: January 29 Doubles Tourney, my bad), and I know the NU warriors out there are begging for some action. Ok sure, the NU team thing just happened, but what can I say. We want more!

I'm not asking for an annual tournament (would be awesome), rather just a bit more structure each month.

Also another plug for having prizes given immediately after an official event. I still don't have 750/1250 rp from the past two months.

Thanks for reading my rant.

EDIT: Additional Suggestions

1. Give prizes just after tournament

2. Change player sprite battle indicator for tournament mode

3. Award above average shiny prizes

4. Allow community players to assist with official tournaments

I can't even describe how many times I have told staff members I know personally this. Man as you said it stimulates the competitive community on totally way higher level, we need it! But all the staff members I have talked with has just been like nah we don't want to do that blah blah blah. 

Also those are some of the comments I hear most often when I talk to staff, so I'm just gonna try to discuss and shoot them down ;)

1. Takes too long, invite holders quit over time. Do it over 6 months
  2. The meta is forever changing and the event may not be the same meta as the invites were won in. Yea but being a good play should stay the same, a good player would easily adapt and use his/her creativity a few months later to do just as well. When I see some of the old players getting back, I think they are doing fine because they have some experience from earlier play and is still a good player.
  3. Too many metas, it causes conflict. If it happens again, 100s will not be in. Yay 100s not here which means 1 less tier to do, which means you would maybe have enough to run both UU and OU only twice each month so it could fit with 6 months.
  4. Doing it often will kill the market completely, too many high tier shinies. I really hate this comment lol, that is one of the reasons competitive players play and I get so pissed off when I see that lol. IK about 10-15 common shiny traders all with the insanely many and rare shines than the competitive players has, and you know what? They all played for 400-1000 hours avg. Now if we look at the avg comp player they all have 2000+ hours (almost all)! It takes FOREVER to make comps get better at it etc. compared to the time it takes to trade(lets be honest with trade I mean scam), I have even been considering for a while selling all my comps like this guy and stop the comp scene because why would I stay when I can easily become rich by trading instead. The reward in being a comp player is just too small atm considering that we spend (and is probably the people keeping this game alive) a hell lot of time, we do once again (almost) all the suggestion and bug reports (shiny traders barely do anything than afk while shouting in trade chat)... Grr lol, I'm not native english so this is hard to explain but I really hope you get my point. The fact that comp players give so much more to this game, it's really disappointing that we don't get anything back (besides we ruin shiny trader values --> you guys should go scam noobs instead - which is basically the message imo). I think I could send you 10+ screenshot from top comp players telling me their new troll team they will use at that official event since the prize is so bad, they don't care to get it and prefer to save their strong teams for a better prize since there is a lot of scouting going on the stronger teams will be saved for better tournaments. Tbh that kind of attitude to prizes ruins a part of the comp scene. So why not use strong teams in tournaments with very bad prizes is because the amount of time spend on the amazing teams is just too big to take the risk and throw it all out in one tournament and risk to have bad rng and maybe not win causing the fact that people know the hidden secrets (lol) in your team.

I TOTALLY SUPPORT THIS SUGGESTION BTW!!!! 

[spoiler]In case you didn't get it from what I was trying to say in my post. :P[/spoiler]

This game is going to live and die by the motivation that the mods, devs, and admins have to put into it. This is obvious. I'm sure there are plans for the future, but the present isn't very bright, especially for competitive play.  

The only thing that I truly believe exciting right now officially, is the team tournament. It brings team unity and also offers structure to a month where there could be one random official or five.

All I hope is to one day see one of the GM's step forward (cough cough Tranzmaster) and start something truly impressive for the competitive stronghold. Sorry to put the pressure on your tranz bro, but it seems you are our last hope. You have established yourself as the final decision in tier making and have been hosting sponts since you started, which to me is an indication that you care about us just a tad =)

One OU, one UU, one NU, and one Doubles tournament every month with a decent prize. That's all I ask. One different official with a different tier every week. Not that hard IMO.

I'd do it, but... not staff, can't spawn shiny prizes, would like to play.

I still don't understand why it is so hard to hold one official tournament every week. It's hardly a big stretch and now we have tournament mode there isn't as much pressure on staff members hosting. I don't know maybe I am missing something, I'm not sure.

I agree that monthly tournaments would be nice since it is more organized and gives staff a push towards hosting events ("We haven't hosted the OU tournament this month, quick, everyone go sign up to referee!") but not with long-term invitationals like Gary seems to be talking about. Invitational tournaments that take place over months+, like the Master's, are awful and I doubt the staff wants to do another one soon (aside from the UU Invitational but they kinda have to do that, since they already started).

I agree that monthly tournaments would be nice since it is more organized and gives staff a push towards hosting events ("We haven't hosted the OU tournament this month, quick, everyone go sign up to referee!") but not with long-term invitationals like Gary seems to be talking about. Invitational tournaments that take place over months+, like the Master's, are awful and I doubt the staff wants to do another one soon (aside from the UU Invitational but they kinda have to do that, since they already started).

Haha nah it was just some old text I copy pasted because I didn't wanted to write it all again.

Any kind of official tournament series would make me happy atm ;D However I really loved the Masters idea.

I don't speak for the other staff, but I don't think invitationals will happen again (at least not for a long time and not with the current system). I believe this issue has been discussed elsewhere on the forums by numerous staff members also. As the OP of this thread didn't mention them at all, I'll move on now.

Monthly officials; for as long as we had them, dating way back to when they first started have always had the problem of regular hosts and a consistent experience.  They become the event that nobody wants to run simply because they're often repetitive (all tournaments) and taxing (tournaments [especially standard tourneys] require the most staff coordination to run). Tournament mode has made things a lot easier, and you'll often see me reffing upwards of 3 matches at a time. We still need a ref for every match at this stage though.

We have a lot of creativity within the staff at the moment. Staff members like Xela, Caracal and especially Tranz have been creating these original, fun, fantastic (in my humble opinion) events which is a feat deserving of recognition considering the volume of official events that have been run in the history of this game. For me; I would rather they focus their energy, creativity and time into creating these fresh events rather than monthly officials.

All this said, we do currently have some recurring events, namely Team Tourney (which is my baby and I will never stop hosting, even if teams stop showing up), Oceania Tourney, and Find a Friend (which runs almost bi-weekly!).

I may not be a competitive player, but I have been involved with this game long enough to know the competitive state of the game is the best it's ever been. With constantly updated tier lists, suspect testing and an (almost, hehe) healthy meta-game, this is definitely not the same all-over-the-place game as it was 12, even 6 months ago. I think now is a better time than any to have monthly officials to help evolve the metagame and involve the competitive community.

I myself can't pledge right here, right now a return of monthly officials, but I will say there's some great events coming up run by staff that care a lot about this game.

Edited by Strychnine
Edited a few words for clarity

All this said, we do currently have some recurring events, namely Team Tourney (which is my baby and I will never stop hosting, even if teams stop showing up), Oceania Tourney, and Find a Friend (which runs almost bi-weekly!).

I myself can't pledge right here, right now a return of monthly officials, but I will say there's some great events coming up run by staff that care a lot about this game.

Thanks for the response this evening StrychBro. I'm excited to hear that the Oceania Tourney will be repeated and may become a common staple that we can expect for our OU needs. The team tourney is much loved, coming from one of the OG3 LYLE-ites who basically live and breathe for the team glory.

As for the other tournaments mentioned, I really enjoy playing in them, but honestly I don't believe they hold the same weight as compared to the staple events. I don't want to say gimmicky, but the more creative events exclude the community. I believe that basic OU, UU, NU, and Doubles events help establish strength in the community across the board. It takes time and energy, but I have faith that the current staff have the capability of performing for us.

I'm pretty sure your last chance at regularly hosted non gimmick events was discouraged to the point of leaving.

[spoiler] No, I didn't speak to him and confirm this but nonetheless I don't think I am entirely wrong[/spoiler]

I can't remember exactly where the quote is but I think Kyu said something about working towards encouraging you all to host your own events/tournaments. That's not really an exciting message, I am sure.

The reality is you'll have to wait for staff turnover to produce a couple hosts who want to do this sort of thing, and then a handful of referees who are okay with doing it. This thread won't change the minds of any of the staff. I think it's great that Streeech, Tranz, Caracal etc want to host unique events and that they're making an effort but I do know it's possible to do both that and the "monthlies" of some sort too. At the end of the day it's their choice though, they have lives and may not be able to make such a time commitment. In reality you were spoiled with events for a while and that could never last forever. 

Overall, I do agree you should be getting your non gimmicks (even if they're just two a month, selected from OU, UU, and NU), but the reality is that you're not going to get what you want by posting this thread and you'll have to make do with what the staff feel like hosting (this is how it's always been in all honesty) and what you come up with yourselves (unofficials).

p.s. thinkie best host ever

Doesn't LeTyrone care about the comp community and such? Or am I just making that up.

Oh I do.

Eventhough I've just started as Community Manager I've been spending a decent amount of time and effort in the competitive community. Being a refferee, helping out Caracal with a new type of tournament, sharing ThinkNice's PSL hype, discussing the tiers with Tranz, etc...

Last year we had Friday Night Fifties, leading up to a Master's Brawl. Alot of the people getting the Master's invite early in the year 2013 left the game or didn't keep their team up to date last December.

Also as most of you are aware, the Staff started handing out "Underdog Invites" for UU tournaments such as TuesdayNight Throwdown or UU Weekend. The Staff haven't forgotten about this invitation and there will be a Master's of UU soon™

Following is my personal view of Monthlies which may not be shared by the rest of the Staff:

I wouldn't be opposed to reffing (a bit too new to host atm) 2 big tournaments a month. (OU and UU). This might induce some rage from some players, but NU and doubles in my opinion fall under the gimmick tournament categories. Which ofcourse, everyone loves from time to time.

So a combination of those 2 big tournaments and 1-2 gimmick tournaments a month should be doable.

Don't forget there is a daily tournament "PokeDaily", ThinkNice's PSL and various spontaneous tournaments to compete in.

Everyone has the opportunity to sign up for these and duel some other competitive players. Albeit no big prizes.

Also, Trainer Tower is under construction. I'm really looking forward to this feature personally.

I've also been working on a tournamant idea by myself, so hopefully that also creates some hope for you guys.

response

I just wanted to note I wasn't accusing you or being sassed etc. It was a general question since I thought I recalled you partaking in a few officials before and such but wasn't positive. I am happy to hear you're finding your way as a CM in events and such though. GL. 

I think 4 month tournament series makes the most sense (from a staff commitment view and a player turnover view). Take the top four players in each tournament for each month, host a 16 man double elim or whatnot brawl. Even if staff just did this and rotated through the tiers I don't think it would be horrible. 

when i heard they might be getting rid of masters back in feb it kinda crushed my dreams just because i had like a half of a year to get a masters and i was just getting used to the comp play and now that im kinda on my feet about it i feel that i can maybe win one and get a masters and i really enjoyed the monthly SNH and that one FNF that i failed at and i really hope that you guys bring them back but now hearing all this its like a slim to none chance that they will be brought back.

• 1 year later...