[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@Magi

Normally I would follow the "evolved = bigger/older" kind of thing, but Gyarados is one of the very few that I think should break that rule. I honestly feel Gyarados would be more fitting in the family line with Magikarp if she was a loli/tiny-powerhouse (roughly the same size if not just a bit bigger than Magikarp). Also I'm tempted to flip the shiny variation with normal, so it's red Gyarados all day (they'd match hair too!)

@animelover

I don't think I can tune up the back face any further. It looks pretty moe to begin with.

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

I'll put Gyarados on hold and you can draw a loli-gyarados design.  I don't think red gyarados should be the default though, that would be too out of place.

Edit: unrelated, touhoumon wedding dresses:

[spoiler]

51002171_p0.png

[/spoiler]

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

Such a shame like 99% of the touhoumon are in a different quality standard from our.

zwahef.png

Use this Magikarp as base, but replace the king crown with the Gyarados crown, all the other Magikarp crown-designs with frills, and color to blue. Of course, give her a more happy/energetic/confident face. I feel a full frame standing Gyarados is enough (no need to bend legs)

Edited by Moetal

I have to agree with Rache. The Chinese dragon dress really suits Gyarados' character. Not to mention she has adorable ear fins which I'm really fond of. Also, I imagine either Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee would make more fitting choices for powerhouse lolis than this 6.5 meter long water dragon.

@Magi

Well, seems like everyone is opposed to my idea, so just conitnue on the Gyarados draft you have at the moment. I feel her mouth should look less like the actual mouth of Gyarados for the sake of moeness, and the heavy shading on the top half of the face seems a bit much unless you're going for a yandere kind of look.

@Kickern

Post me the 256x64 copy too. Saves me the trouble.

Edited by Moetal

I'd actually agree with Moetal; design-wise, I like the Margikap model more, but on the other hand, it makes sense that Gyarados has to bend its legs, considering how big it is.
So... I guess the one Magi is working at is the better choice?
Can we use Magikarp's pose atleast for something different then?
Btw, how does our current Magikarp look like, if I dare to ask? :o

so i just now decided to try and figure out doing this and it worked for the Emerald one and its so cute. the problem for me is that the FireRed patch has messed up sprites for my games and it just kicks you to the title screen.ive been a little frustrated on this and thought if anyone was having this problem or can provide me with a firered clean rom somewhere i could get this working

so i just now decided to try and figure out doing this and it worked for the Emerald one and its so cute. the problem for me is that the FireRed patch has messed up sprites for my games and it just kicks you to the title screen.ive been a little frustrated on this and thought if anyone was having this problem or can provide me with a firered clean rom somewhere i could get this working

Roms cannot be provided on these forums, sorry. You will have to find one yourself.

@Death

2qvbn7r.png

You're gonna need to rework on that palette if you want heterochromia. Your eye has the same red as the blush, so it is quite difficult to work with.

EDIT: Current Magikarp.

2wqsigo.png

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

I'm ok with using the first designs' eye color. I admit I had some problems with that for the same reason but was unsure if I should have changed back to just grey or keep going with heterochromia. Changed to grey now.

1250t3l.png

Edited by DeathRebel24

@Moetal

I mean what I said.  If you're willing to draw a loli-gyarados gijinka I am willing to sprite it.  Should be like Crino-line's work, no need for the art to be too clean but should have the base colours filled in.

130%20Gyarados%20Front%20v1%20x2.png

The hexagram on her dress is not meaningless.  It is a doubling of "water" trigrams which represents "danger".  (http://www.jamesdekorne.com/GBCh/hex29.htm)

Shellder

090%20Shellder%20Front%20v1%20x2.png

Edited by McMagister

Moetal you are either very modest or a liar, you clearly have talent. On the subject of Gyarados as good as the two designs you posted are I think McMagister's sprite suits Gyarados better. I do think that they might be good for something like Dratini though.

@Magi

Dodrio backsprite's head looks a bit off centered. Moved the entire head more to the right. There is a tiny pixel on her right sleeve (our left) that shouldn't be straight down but rather keep extending down in the slope; it was making her sleeve look smaller than it is. I have a feeling that the eye is slightly too high and needs to be moved down by one pixel. The outfit lining is offcentered, and something is off about her chest.

The braid looks strangely connected to me also, partially because of the red band I think. Remove it and try to tie it in a more natural approach like below:

[spoiler]2gttai1.jpg

2m44w9s.jpg[/spoiler] 

EDIT: 085%20Dodrio%20Edit%20Back%20v1%20x2.png -> 2dcg45l.png

EDIT 2: The upper part of the braid needs to be redone. Braids are usually horizontally knotted, so you should see more of the side than the front/back of it. It can twist/bend when it gets lower.

Cacturne backsprite's right twintail should be above the hat, not below. In addition, her body feels like it's ambiguous and sticking out strangely. Her chest's color should be the dark green as per the frontsprite's design, and flattened more since the chest actually don't protrude out at that point yet. Feels like the shoulder should be enlarged by like few pixels toward the right due to her pose and perspective.

EDIT 2: Shellder's left eye (our right)'s eye highlight looks like a pixel low.

Edited by Moetal