[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

9 hours ago, toottoot said:

Sorry I haven't been doing anything lately. I have to run Windows on my Mac to use paint.net, but all of my schoolwork is on my Mac partition, and work comes first :'(

@CrookedWings427

I personally disagree with Majena on most points.

-While some sprites benefit from sharper contrast in colors, I really like the light shading on your Horsea line.

-Some anti-aliasing would be nice on the straight dark blue part, but the fan is supposed to be pretty flat, so it would make sense for it to look 2D. 

-I think Kingdra's face shape is pretty moe as it is. There's something about her right (our left) eyebrow that's bothering me, though (it looks a bit...sharp? ouo)

The gripes I have are just that Kingdra's backsprite's mouth/nose seem a little low, and Seadra's backsprite's head looks a bit too narrow. Also, something about the spike in the middle of Seadra's bangs looks a bit off to me, but I can't quite figure out what.

That being said, you deserve a break after all that hard work! Thanks for being so on top of things :)

Sure, I can see the softer shading being nice.  I find the shading on the horsea to be nice.  But I think something is off about the shading on seadra's frontsprite hair.  It lacks depth.  Perhaps shifting the colors around rather than re-coloring would fix that.

The fan is not really 2D.  If you look at kingdra's backsprite you can see the base of the fan.  I imagine the idea is something like temari's fan, so it's probably at least as thick as an arm.  And most arms require shading.  That being said the end part of the fan in frontsprite/backsprite don't match, but that's probably intentional.

Hmm... I still think the lower half of kingdra's face can be more moe.  The top half is good though.  But perhaps this is just an opinion thing.

Was Pineco added? If not, there are some shading fixes I want to make to the front sprite's hair.

Edit: just saw Moetal's post

@Majena

I'm really sorry if I came across as abrasive in my post, that was never my intention! I personally think the shading on Seadra's hair mostly needs work by way of placement rather than the colors themselves. As for the fan, since the dark part is (I'm assuming) square-ish, and the flat side is facing the viewer, I don't think it would require as much shading as arms, which are a lot rounder. Kingdra's face my come down to opinion, I personally like the face shape where it is right now.

@laGashetaHardcore

Twintails for life.

Edited by toottoot

Girafarig draft

View Full Size Image

Her palette makes me cry :'(

Not too happy with the way this one turned out, so even though I really want to keep the front pigtails I may swap them out for something that looks less crowded. I don't really like the headphone things and the white patch in the hair, but I wasn't sure how else to incorporate the white in Girafarig's design into the sprite. 

(Please send help)

Edit: More cleaning/slight edits on Pineco

View Full Size Image

Should we sync Forretress with Pineco a little more? 

@CrookedWings427

Ooh I love the new pose! I agree with Kickern on the goggles though, I don't think they're necessary and they make the top of her head look a little small

Edited by toottoot