[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@avyie

A lot of Pokemon need to be remade, but for now I'd prefer if we could clean up what we have on our plate rather than make new ones. A lot of sprites are missing backsprites like this Spearow and Glalie for example.

2celsg5.pngzsr3hk.gif

Alternatively, you can try to polish up these two so they can finally get added to game. You can also work on sprites that we've pointed out and are working on at the moment. Fresh idea/inputs are always welcome.

Meowth3.pngnqums.png

2mq41gl.png

If you really insist on making a new one, try your hand on Sandshrew family, Bellsprout family, Tentacruel, Slowpoke family, Seel family, Krabby family, Marowak (see revamp Cubone), Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, and/or Kabuto family first.

The above sprites are scaled up for easier viewing. Scale it back down to 64x64 before working.

Edited by Moetal

@OtherPlayers

Thanks, I think that really helped. I tried one with the head and body proportions changed and another with the wings in front of the hair.

gDlH9Da.pngBJ7hnjK.png

I also tried the front sprite with the wings in front of the hair as well.

HTLKXtP.png

@Moetal, okay thanks!! I decided to try out the Meowth, to get a feel of how it works. How is this?

7KQ0LPo.png

@Musher, your sprite design is great & the changes are good 0: I think it could benefit from slightly more hue-shifting colors. made a gif because the differences are pretty subtle, but I think it can add slightly more depth w/ certain color choices. (o=original, r=recolored)

Be1FKS7.gif

also, i think she'd really benefit from some hair references; the dark lines go all the way from the top to the bottom, which is not always how hair naturally flows. I made a quick example to show what I mean; as a disclaimer, the way I did it is more meant for layered hair-- your sprite's bob looks pretty even all around.

BjLSkQy.png

@avyie

Much better, but the backsprite's arms/hand and face could still use some work. There's something off about the front sprite's ears, but I can't place my finger on it. Also the front sprite's chin was rounded off in one of the previous edits and I personally feel it looks better when it was more pointy but you are welcome to disagree with me.

I'm not the best spriter, but how about this:

wGUrkDq.png

Lengthened that annoying left hand by one pixel to give her a bit more finger length while shortening the thumb by a pixel and straightening up that left arm to vertical (thus giving some room for distinction between the elbow and body to capture the bend). Cleaned up the right elbow (and tail behind it) just a tad, while tweaking her right armpit out 1 pixel for a more natural contour now that it would no longer be black on black. Also skinnied the right ear by two-ish pixels to try to get its facing angle a bit closer to the same as the rest of her head, which should hopefully fix what looked off about her ears.

Could probably thicken out that left arm by adjusting everything outwards one pixel if it looks too scrawny (2 am here right now though, so that's it for me :P).

Still not 100% satisfied with that left wrist/hand's curve at the top, but I think the tiny resolution is what's actually stopping me from liking at this point rather than a failure in the attempt.

Didn't touch the front sprite, I'll leave her chinny-ness up to others. ;)

Edited by OtherPlayers

Not sure why she is turning more and more yellow-skinned in the edits and ends up using the same palettes as the hair. I've separate her skin from her hair palette for now, feel free to adjust the colors as you see fit. Tried a few things here and there and got stuck at 17 palettes.

35c4fps.png

Edited by Moetal

@moetal

2celsg5.pngbirb2b.png

I know what I'm doing 0% of the time.

No wings for editing purposes: 

birb3.png

Edit: Trying to fix the hair, and moved the wings a pixel. Still probably needs editing?

5a8birb4.png

@Swirly Better?

c40birb5.png

Edited by Nerak55

@avyie

Yeah, that hair already looks much better. I'm not very good at doing hair. I might have a look around to see if I can find some good examples of back hair that matches the style of the front sprite.

Also, I think I still prefer the original colors, but I do see the benefits of the recolored one. It makes the darker outlines pop without making it look weirdly different from the other colors overall. I might try playing with the palette myself and see what I can come up with.

Question: Not really sure how the game or the sprite editor deal with colors and I know that they have a more limited selection of colors than what we can use these days. Can it convert any color we give it to the nearest equivalent? If so, are the changes ever noticeable enough to mess with how the sprite looks? I've always been using colors from the original sprites up until now.

@Musher

To answer your question, yes, your sprite editor tool of choice that imports the sprites into the game ROM converts the colors to the nearest equivalent.  The GBA, or at the very least Pokemon Fire Red, uses 2 bytes of data for each color, whereas any image editing software we use these days uses 3 bytes of color data, one byte for each of the red, green and blue values.  With a little bit of simple math, that means 256 3-byte colors equals 1 2-byte color on the GBA.  There may be some subtle differences in colors after conversion depending on how close or far the original color is to the new one.  I think you can just set the RGB values for each color in the palette to multiples of 8 if you want to get the exact color used by the GBA.  That's probably how it is, but I don't know for sure; I can't be bothered to research how 2-byte color data works exactly.

@Moetal

Your spearow has an extra shade of brown.  Good call on changing the color of the wing since it's actually the inside part we're looking at, but I'm wondering if the white/light grey would look better/more accurate?

As far as the new patch goes:

The pink tint on shiny Meowth's hair looks amazing.

Was kinda expecting a handful more new sprites (Ampharos, for example) to appear in the patch, but I'm guessing you're waiting on full evolutionary lines for those?

Speaking of evolutionary lines, here's one of the worst lines to exist

dRdEEPi.pngU52Iw7J.png

It did not go as well as Hitmontop, but I think it gets the idea across of how to make a Hitmonlee. Tyrouge could just be a simple kid for all I care, as long as he looks like the same person as the evolutions.