[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

thats the procedure for hacking pokemon sprites in emerald the method is different for emerald vs firered leafgreen ruby or sapphire which use a 64 by 64 compared to emeralds 64 by 128

due to the fact that emerald has 2 frames of animation the top 64 by 64 is the fist frame and the bottom 64 by 64 is the second frame so if you wanted to add animations to the pokemon itself you change the bottom frame.

if you are asking for the sake of changing the start screen on fire red to have a moemon or the image of magikarp-tan standing on a box from the first post of the thread its a far different procedure pm me if thats the scope of your question so we don't muk up this awesome thread

@Magi

The left hand for Pidgeotto feels like it could be wider. The right hair ribbon should be slightly smaller because of perspective and whatnot. For backsprite, optional, but her ahoge looks like it's pointing the wrong way.

The quality for these three birdies went downhill a bit since the designer lost the original save file somehow and ended up redrawing them again. Just food for thoughts.

[spoiler]legend_birds_by_crino_line-d7yjqm5.png[/spoiler]

@Magi

I feel your draft's hand was better. The victory sign hand looks way too big, and the arm looks out of place (probably due to lack of shading). The mouth looks narrow for the shape she is making. The feet might be a bit tiny compare to the rest of the leg and body.

@Lache

I'm not going to sugarcoat my words, so don't click below if you are not ready:

[spoiler]Faces are not your strong point. You should know that better than anyone. I am certain I've requested you to just copy and paste a face before. As it stand, I cannot use this, and I won't try to mod your sprites anymore because I know you won't continue on it even when I do. I'm not sure why eyebrows do not exist in your dictionary either. Design wise, it's terrible. I understand you followed a similar drawing design and modded it a bit, but neither you nor the original design was pushed hard enough.

togetic.jpg

I assume this is what you are based off on? I'm going to be frank; the only charm point this design had was the hair and the carefree shonen aura and you don't have either in your sprite. The only interesting point in your actual sprite was the original scarf, but it was completely out of place with the rest of the outfit. 

If you want to make this as a male, you're definitely going to have to drop that pajama pant/grandma underwear. If female, you should look at the design for Togekiss below. Elements of it can be borrowed, namely the dress and the patterns on it:

[spoiler]togekiss.png[/spoiler]

Think. What is your sprite trying to say about the Moemon? What 'defines' it?

[/spoiler]

@Lache

I'm not going to sugarcoat my words, so don't click below if you are not ready:

[spoiler]Faces are not your strong point. You should know that better than anyone. I am certain I've requested you to just copy and paste a face before. As it stand, I cannot use this, and I won't try to mod your sprites anymore because I know you won't continue on it even when I do. I'm not sure why eyebrows do not exist in your dictionary either. Design wise, it's terrible. I understand you followed a similar drawing design and modded it a bit, but neither you nor the original design was pushed hard enough.

togetic.jpg

I assume this is what you are based off on? I'm going to be frank; the only charm point this design had was the hair and the carefree shonen aura and you don't have either in your sprite. The only interesting point in your actual sprite was the original scarf, but it was completely out of place with the rest of the outfit. 

If you want to make this as a male, you're definitely going to have to drop that pajama pant/grandma underwear. If female, you should look at the design for Togekiss below. Elements of it can be borrowed, namely the dress and the patterns on it:

[spoiler]togekiss.png[/spoiler]

Think. What is your sprite trying to say about the Moemon? What 'defines' it?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]If I simply copy-paste aspects of other sprites, I never learn how to do them myself. I see this as being partially a learning experience rather than simply 100% focusing on contributing to a project. I'm aware of my weak points just as much as you are, and oopsIforgottoaddeyebrowsagain.

Mine was very, very loosely based on that one, yes. It was pretty much the only image I had available to me at the time since I lacked internet, unless you count the one we're currently using (that come to think of it looks kinda similar to mine design-wise). The dress of the Togekiss doesn't resemble Togetic at all since its original (Pokemon) design is extremely simplistic, but I'll see what I can do with it while keeping it at least recognizable as being a Togetic. I tend to spend time on these only when I'm unable to do much else since I'm often busy the rest of the time, hence why I don't tend to go back to things right away or end up forgetting about them entirely. I guess I'll write up a reminder for this one.

All in all though, I appreciate the criticism and will attempt to do better/improve this one. Thanks for not holding back~[/spoiler]

Hey guys,

Let me first say how much I love your work. I've looked through all the pages and it is amazing the work that you guys put into the sprites.

I'm a very novice spriter, more taking different parts of Pokemon to create a new one (basically Fusemon). Not sure if that would be of any use to you guys, but I could maybe help out with a single evolution that needs revamping or something (and I will need a lot of help along the way).

@Moetal

The original hand was angled weirdly.  Try making the same pose, your wrist would hurt.

The mouth did not change because the alternatives were worse.

018%20Pidgeot%20Front%20v1.1%20x2.png018%20Pidgeot%20Back%20v1%20x2.png

@SachiShimazu

Welcome and thanks for your support.  You can try working on Sneasel.

Rache Doduo is best doduo.  My edit:

084%20Doduo%20Edit.png

(not actually working on doduo/dodrio yet.  rattata is next)

@Magi

Your Flareon is younger looking than Nia's. Nia's Flareon has pretty pointy chin. Also personally I prefer Nia's style for eyes. Is pervert Flareon our new mascot now? I don't think that's a good idea. You do remember the incident where she ran around naked right? Think of the children!

On another note, so I need to prepare Gardevoir, Golbat, Pidgey family, and update the Lapras file. Any other I missed?

Okay, so here is the first rough sprite for Sneasel. It's really rough and probably needs to be resized, but may as well show it to everyone. This is my first time doing a human sprite, so please don't go overboard with negative comments about it. Also, I haven't started on a backsprite.

[spoiler]

IlkVAUS.png

[/spoiler]

Also, I was looking through the NSE for legs I could use when I came across this cowboy, which Pokemon is it meant to be. It looks kind of like Corphish, but the Corphish Moemon is right afterwards.

[spoiler]

Vie4rv2.png

[/spoiler]

Oh yay, the spoiler tags work just like on Lake Valor.

@Moetal

I too am a fan of Nia's art (obviously?), but unfortunately I can only hope to be like Nia.  What I don't like about this pixel art is the hair which is a mess.

Yes, you are missing Dragonite and Girafarig. *is shot*

@Sachi

I'm afraid you should brush up on your art fundamentals before tackling small sprites.  Proportions, lineart, colouring, moe are not there, and all these things are harder to maintain the smaller the sprite becomes.

Thats a Luvdisc btw.

@magi

Yea, I'm not the greatest when it comes to proportions in general when I'm drawing, so spriting is even more difficult for it. I know it doesn't look great, and I don't know whether to continue with it or just hand it over to one of you guys instead. I can probably try and do some concept sprites and have other people refine them, because I'll be working on them for a really long time otherwise.

@Moetal

When I feel like it.  Look at the length of my "short"list and that's just within the first generation not including legendaries.

Why don't you try and seriously learn pixel art?  You have the most artistic talent of anyone in this thread and I saw the video of making moe characters out of armored core emblems, if you can do that then you are certainly OCD enough to pixel.

@thief

Is this Roselia or Roserade?  It actually looks pretty nice and I could see myself using it as a base.

@Sachi

I do stand by my recommendation that you practice some more, either with traditional or digital art and then move to pixel art.  But whatever you do keep practicising and don't stop then you will be awesome.