[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@Bulba

Don't change the chin or the head shape unless it needs to stick out. Other than that, the body looks great. Careful with the outline on the tail though, it makes the tail a bit too huge at the moment. The blush is overdoing it also when they're shrinked even more like this. Her blush reminds me of Pikachu.

Hey guys just registered to say how much I appreciate the work you are doing here as what seems to be the most active and living moemon-related project this side of the pond.

Also might I direct you to this post, in the hopes that you'd adapt the content inside it to a working sprite sheet(,assuming you haven't done so already.)? I'm a bit busy right now but I'll be available to post more later and discuss this stuff and maybe become involved with your work. I'm no artist and I can't sprite, but I know a little image editing and I have the basics of fourth-gen spritework tinkering down.

I checked the patch using advanced sprite editor, but it seems some of the sprites you packed aren't lzz compressed or whatever, so I they fail to display at all. I suppose I could have used pokepic to make sure. That said, I got the 9 modified starter sprites to display correctly, but caterpie lzzizled and claydol's sprite was untouched, so I got conflicting input. Silly, I know.

In that vein, might you consider uploading your sprite resources into a zip? Right now I have a folder full of sprites in such a format as to be compatible with advance sprite editor's convenient "import all" function, so I can easily make my own moemon sprite patches compatibile with my favorite romhacks such as crystal dust, and lately I've been trying to update my moemon library with the best and latest, the search for which has brought me here to this point. Talking to the beings whose work I revere.

@Rovole

You know, people keep bringing up LZZ Compressed error with Advanced Sprite Editor, but Advanced Sprite Editor never had that issue with me. If anything, it's UnLZ that gives me that crap (hence I never uses it anymore). Are you sure you are using the right program? Caterpie updates were imported but not released yet. 

I could, but I'm lazy so I won't. You are free to extract the sprites from this rom, but you should ask Magister for permission before you use them since he made most of them.

Edit:

@Bulba

Looking really good. I can't wait to see the entire set.

Hey guys just registered to say how much I appreciate the work you are doing here as what seems to be the most active and living moemon-related project this side of the pond.

Both sides of the pond actually, the Japanese haven't produced new sprites in ages.

Also might I direct you to this post, in the hopes that you'd adapt the content inside it to a working sprite sheet(,assuming you haven't done so already.)? I'm a bit busy right now but I'll be available to post more later and discuss this stuff and maybe become involved with your work. I'm no artist and I can't sprite, but I know a little image editing and I have the basics of fourth-gen spritework tinkering down.

There are good sprites there but would be needed to be considered on a case-by-case basis, and in the end up to Moetal.

Sure you can use my sprites for your hacks.  Thanks!

Edit: I edited Tentacool.  I though it was strange that the most important feature was missing.

072%20Tentacool%20Front%20v1%20x2.png

Ninetales WIP

038%20Ninetales%20Front%20Draft.png

@Magi

Her two arms are actually her tentacles. Tentacool doesn't have blue colored tentacles. Everything else looks a lot better though.

[spoiler]600px-072Tentacool.png[/spoiler]

Edit:

@Magi

Move Ninetails to the right side when you have a chance, to keep her 'body' near the center of the frame as much as possible without cutting the tails.

@Magi

I'm fine with twintails to be honest, but I'd say you should move those hair ribbons down where the twintails are tied, or move the two tails to the middle and have them curve outward like a fishhook (to reflect original more) instead. You can add a third ribbon on her chest instead of the dots buttons if you want.

Both sides of the pond actually, the Japanese haven't produced new sprites in ages.

The last moemon patch from the japanese site was released on the tenth of april, of this year. Whether or not it includes new sprites, however, is unknown to me... until I discover the pokemon sprite offsets for the japanese version of fire-red and make a direct comparison, that is. If you guys would like, I can assert myself as part of the collaborative effort going on here and report my findings.

There are good sprites there but would be needed to be considered on a case-by-case basis, and in the end up to Moetal.

Thats fine and I was planning on adapting a few of my favorites myself. I just opened them up in gimp intending to make a 256x64 long strip of four panels per-the-standard, but the first problem I ran into is just how I would measure a perfect 64 pixel square. Silly and easily handled, but daunting enough to stall a natural procrastinator like myself.

Sure you can use my sprites for your hacks.  Thanks!

Oh I wasn't asking permission, but now that I have it I know I can release any IPS that would have been for my own personal enjoyment with no fear of disrespecting the artists' contributed work. Aside from the assortment of japanese sprite artists that have to this day gone unnamed and uncredited among the english-speaking moemon community.

But the thing is, I stumbled upon a certain .narc that promises moemon platinum and huzzah it works. It isn't universal, and some larger pokemon are noticably smaller since the mod just uses existing 64x64 moemon sprites in a 80x80 platform, not to mention the gen IV pokemon without sprites. Now while I don't mean to comandeer these efforts which I have no stake in(yet), I was reading earlier posts in this thread(and yes, I am the sort of person who reads old threads page-to-page,) and I noticed a back-and-forth about sprite size, about caterpie being too big, and noticing in general how in moemon some sprites are noticably and disproportionately large in a desperate attempt to cram in more detail, owing to the restrictive 64x64 sprite block scheme.

Let me repeat that I don't mean to sidetrack you guys and I Just wanted to throw that out there and open up the option, incase you work yourselves into idleness. Pokemon X/Y was a total bummer for someone like me. I'm a big fan of sprite graphics, andwatching the handheld-series move away from the beautiful sprites I had grown to love was like a slap in the face. Right now I'm in that state of going between jobs and I have alot of free time on my hand, and If I can help in any way...

@Moetal

The ribbons are for the red crystal thingies so they should stay in that position (the centre crystal is not represented but it would look weird if a third hair ribbon was added).

Tentacool is not always depicted with arms pointing outwards, actually.

http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/tentacool

Although it is also very cute this way.

072%20Tentacool%20Front%20Hair%20compari

@Rovole

There was a discussion on this thread about making a HG/SS patch, but not considered feasible at this time, since to take advantage of the increased canvas size, animations, etc. will require a huge effort and time.

Also, the Japanese sprite artists of note are Suzuna (maker of the original sprites), Aozane (maker of the updated sprites), and TTR (sample below).beedrill_zps42966a3a.png

@Magi

I know, but since we have the ribbon on the chest, it feels like the two ribbons on the side could be moved down without much penalty as long it maintains a triangle-relation between the three. I personally feel it looks cuter when you move the ribbon down, but that's just me. I'm sorta indecisive about the twin-tails; all four variations have their charm in my opinion.

iqk4de.png

@Rovole

That file has nothing we don't already have. I've checked it the day it came out.

Edit

Rovole, try getting a program called NSE 2.0. It's not very good at implementing sprites, but it lets you check and extract the sprites in both the US and JAP roms very easily.

@Rovole

That file has nothing we don't already have. I've checked it the day it came out.

Edit

Rovole, try getting a program called NSE 2.0. It's not very good at implementing sprites, but it lets you check and extract the sprites in both the US and JAP roms very easily.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm just awkwardly jumping into the conversation here and I really don't know if I'm going the right way about things. I want to be a part of this, I hope my burning enthusiasm is shining through.

If someone can show a working proof of concept of moemon Gen 4, I'd be on board.  However, in my opinion most sprites would not need to be changed, very few pokemon have a body size that utilizes the 80x80 space, it is mostly used for large features such as wings.  So for moemon, the body size is the same, but with a large canvas moemon who had their legs bent at awkward poses can now stand up, and wings/auxiliary features can be made as large as desired.

There is a Moemon Platinum game somewhere on the web, and they have moemon emerald, but this is a PokeMmo firered rom =) I'm adding heartgold walking sprites

I have this Moemon Platinum in the .rar format I originally got it in. Its a raw .narc of the edited pokemon sprites, since there is no DS equivalent of .ips patches as far as I am aware, containing no roms, and the .narc has to be inserted into a rom with a tool like nitroexplorer to get it to work. It was posted anonymously in /vg/ on 4chan, and the thread has since vaporized.

...so here it is.

http://www.tempsend.com/0600B438E7

Its a temporary upload, since I don't have any other way to send files online, so grab it save it and share it at your discretion. Again, let me re-iterate, there are no illegal roms or copyrighted material included in that link.

Also to be more on topic... Illumise at one point got a sprite update, her counterpart, volbeat, however, did not, creating this dilemma.

volbut.png

The top two rows show what volbeat is and what illumise was, which while not aesthetically noteworthy did match each other, the bottom right corner shows the updated sprite, with no volbeat counterpart. Also, if I'm allowed to do this... I feel like your metapod concept sprite as a Hikikomori fits the cascoon/silkoon line more than the metapod/kakuna line. cascoon and silkoon have always been conceptualized as "clothy" cocoons while metapod and kakuna had the more "shell" like crystalis feel to it.

Secondly, anyone think of a pokemon that could use this as a base?

ExMurasa%20Front%20x2.png

Actually, something along the lines of that concept might fit for poliwrath. Poliwrath has always been, at least in my mind, built around the brawny seagoing sailor archetype, personality wise, and the current poliwag line is kind of bland. As for the base itself? The face has a nice pose and the body might be useable as an alternative sprite for seviper or some other weapon-toting moemon.

Just throwing my two cents out there... I want nothing more than to see you guys SUCCEED in the most MARVELOUS way.

@Rovole

I know you want to be part of things, but please read the entire thread one post at a time one more time. A lot of things you are pointing out are already resolved or addressed in our previous posts, and the way you are digging them back out isn't particularly making me like you. I have actually gotten .narc files to work and I somewhat understand how to make patch for HeartGold if needed.

The Pokemon Platinum you linked was based on an older version of my Moemon FireRed, and they didn't even swap all the files either. 90% of the files were the first set from Suzuna (not even second edit version). They did take most of the ones I've personally edited though, such as the Steelix, Rhydon, and Latios.

For the issue on Volbeat/Illumise, it can't be helped. There was no sprite replacement back then. You are free to make a replacement for it. I rather have Magi finish the Eevee line first.

Thats all well and fine, and if I made it seem like I was making demands then I apoligize. I have read the entire thread, infact, and I Know you experimented with a Heart gold rom with mixed results. I made no assumptions about the authorship of the platnium .narc I linked, theoretically since its only the pokegra.narc that isn't unique to platnium you could insert that file into any of the DS pokemon games, save b/w and beyond, and benefit from whatever partial work has been done.

As for digging up old posts and quoting them, we'll you'll have to forgive me for that. The direction of this thread is such that it would be very difficult to intrude without knowing the background, but I concede that I had hardly any business trying to make a point out of things long out of sequence with the direction the conversation has taken. Still, is it so wrong to comment on things that could still benefit from further discourse? You have complete control over this, as it is your project and unlike me you have(though some under a different username) produced work while I have only produced a link to someone else's. What I'm trying to do is make a sprite library of the very best and most-up-to-date moemon sprites that can be easily imported into someone's favorite GBA romhack, and I feel there is some overlap between what we're trying to accomplish. I want to not only cede to your vision, since I do intend to base my sprite library off of what sprites you accumulate, but to contribute in any way I can, since we will both in the end benefit from the best possible outcome.

The most intense spritework I've ever done was making my own minecraft skin, which I realize isn't even comparable to what our own generally genial gentleman McMagister can do, but I know my way around DS tools and if you feel like outsourcing a little grunt work as far as sprite importing and palette-assigning then I can do that. I'll be watching this thread closely and commenting where the situation calls for it.

Well, I'm off to watch some more adventure time. Shows seriously banging yo.

@Magi

I know, but since we have the ribbon on the chest, it feels like the two ribbons on the side could be moved down without much penalty as long it maintains a triangle-relation between the three. I personally feel it looks cuter when you move the ribbon down, but that's just me. I'm sorta indecisive about the twin-tails; all four variations have their charm in my opinion.

Personally I think this one is the most suitable.

k9fKVgA.png

The ribbons just aren't noticeable enough if they're moved down (since they're easily Tentacool's most defining feature), and having the twin tails hang down resemble the Pokemon more.