[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@Death

I like the second one more. I believe you are hitting skill limit on this set of sprite and I'd recommend you to try your hands on another Moemon for now. If you want to continue, try flipping both set of sprite horizontally and see if you can spot problems.

713aix.png1zxy7nm.png

1250t3l.pngnd4mdw.png

Edited by Moetal

I'd say the first pose for Oddish fits it better, as well as the not-smiling version for the entire Oddish line.
But that's just my opinion here.

Also, nice to see updates for Muk, even though it looks already well-made.
I'm really fond of the design, keep up the good work, guys. :)

I have a quick question. Is there anywhere I can get the transparent background png files of all the moemon sprites in the latest patch? I wanted to use them for a youtube series layout.

I don't know if you've ever worked with ImageMagick, but it should be possible to cook up a batch file to look at an entire folder of images, grab the pixel color of the top left corner pixel of each (thus the background corner) and then make that color transparent (effectively batch removing the backgrounds). Might be something worth looking into if you don't want to spend hours working.

I'd say the first pose for Oddish fits it better, as well as the not-smiling version for the entire Oddish line.
But that's just my opinion here.

Nooooooooooooooo! (Smiling Oddish family is best Oddish family! :P). Also loving these new sprites, they are very nice. :)

To honour the arrival of Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou's anime, I felt compelled to change Ekans into a Lamia loli:

zvbYIsC.png

Intended to go with Lamia Arbok below.

i0hyIZy.png

Slightly changed her skin colour from the original for better matching her prevolution.

Next on my list will be the Ponyta Centaur family tree.
All hail to the Monmusume~!
oD75bOK.gif

Edit:
Looks like for some reason the backsprite lost colour either by exporting or uploading. Strange.. Anyway, be assured that I will fix it sometime after work today.

Edited by Kamigoroshi

@Kami

Head and body is much nicer. EDIT: From your backsprite, it looks like you are trying to make a 0 shape mouth. Try to make the mouth longer too in the front sprite. The arms are really short/tiny.

Basic anatomy 101: Use your own arms as reference - if they are hanging down while you are standing, how far down do they go? If you are bending your arms, roughly how long is your forearm+hand compared to your upper arm? Apply your findings to your sprite.

EDIT 2:

2ng7v5w.png

2s7batf.png

I bet you can tell where that body is from, Lache.

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

Finished Lamia Ekan's backsprite and shiny variant.

MVGfnXS.png

Given the fact that she not only leans her head forward, but also is tilting it sideways, I felt it would be strange to have her mouth suddenly appear in the middle of her face. So I left the mouth position alone.

Same with the arms; I see her right arm as positioned behind her torso and stretched out towards the side. Her left hand/arm rest on her waist, personally I feel this makes the arm a tad *too long*. 

I could probably thicken both arms slightly to some extent. But it's likely that this could crumble her anatomic balance.

For reference:

[spoiler]

uJUhfJA.jpg

[/spoiler]

@Kami

My point still stands. I assure you her right (our left) arm is short for that upper body. You can either elongate her arm, or you can pull her belly button higher and the snake/human merge point higher. Even chibi/children/toddler follows anatomy. You simply do not break anatomy unless what you are drawing specifically have short arms as traits (think T-Rex).

[spoiler]nb43eo.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler]10ii6ic.jpg[/spoiler]

I don't recommend you to search up nude snake girls if you are underage for obvious reasons, but looking at references that are wearing less clothings or are not bulky and baggy as heck WILL work much better and give you a much better understanding of the body.

I understand her body is tilted in your sprite, but it's not tilting enough to distort the size to that degree as a result of perspective.

Edited by Moetal

Something, somewhere went terribly wonky.

83tpZwh.png

Not really satisfied with either hand, or the newfound massive size of her arms. But it's good pixel practice training either way, I suppose. *shurgs*

Looks like I have to enlargen her lower body by some pixels to cope with the extra weight though.

As for my age, I'm 29.

Just tried to stay in the PG13 zone when posting the above reference picture of an Lamia kindergartener's arm length.

Just a note, but you might want to consider straightening out the top of the clothing line for the back sprite. At first glance it seems almost like she's looking towards you but has her head turned all of the way to the left and her right hand behind her back, a fact I think is mainly due to the fact that the clothing in the back sprite curves downward with that alternate color part, and that you have the little upward pixel in the middle, giving it the appearance of being wrapped over a very small chest instead of across a back.

@OtherPlayers

Ah, yes. That was more or less an experiment of mine for drawing shoulder blades and the spinal cord.

Having just the top cloth on the otherwise skin coloured back felt like a waste of space to me. Whenever I succeeded in that experiment or not is a different question altogether though. :P

Edit:

This will probably be the last retouch of Ekans from me, as I already invested more time on it than planned.

PCxGGjO.png

Changed the colouring of her spinal cord to a more subtile one, enlarged the cord all the way down and changed the back shadows. This should prevent anyone from mistaking the back with the front. Or vice versa.

Also retouched Arbok again to separate her more from the human/elven cosplayers in the patch.

J9WUpc2.png

Elongated her tail end and added additional scale highlights at the tail and belly to make her look more like a snake and less like an earthworm.

Also changed to pupils to slits, added fangs, enlarged her mouth and added forked tongue.

Edited by Kamigoroshi

TEZJ4kC.png

The front of WIP Centaur Rapidash Mk. 1;

A freehand drawn sprite without using any body parts of existing moemons.

Nor do I want to take any, as it's more interesting that way for me.

Fun fact:

I found out that drawing fire manes are much more entertaining than drawing normal hair.

To the point where I might have gotten over the top with her "hair" volume.

But I don't care. It was helluva fun and would do it again in a heartbeat! :)

The horse body was a bit of a challenge to fit into the 64x64 pixel canvas, but I'd say the outcome became surprisingly nice considering the difficulties.

Still, I can't shake the feeling off that there's something wrong with her right hand in the background. Best would be to somehow tug both hands together. But how to fold it... Hrm...

Still tinkering with the backsprite layout.