[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@Magi

Vile's face went uguu.

218wog.png

Blue eyes attempt. Red eyed Gloom like Kickern's ain't bad either, but her vibe changed really hard... not that it's bad, I just miss the blue eyed Gloom.

EDIT:

o6kvfq.png

A lot more problems than I expected. The mask is on the wrong side of the head and in wrong position too. I believe it would be better to fix the front sprite than the back sprite for the face. Outfit wise, it seems like the backsprite's color/tone need to be recolored a bit to resemble the front's.

@Death

I think a lot of them are getting really close to moe. Move your first and third attempt's red eye one pixel left. Your third's head/hair is more or less in the right shape now. Need eyebrows for the third and first. Design wise I still feel you can push further. She looks more like a radio girl than a magnet girl. I know you are taking color from the original, but I feel you should use a bit more silver/steel color in place of that dull green.

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

At some points I considered changing the dull green but was unsure about it. When I changed first option's head, it ended up looking exactly like third so I'm keeping 2 options now (Also had to change palette position for one of the options because it was in the way).

b6cxnk.png 2w236u8.png

Thank you, Moetal, for the feedback. I have tried to incorporate most of your suggestions and come up with this:

qpjyw6.jpg

Added black outline to leg/hair, added eyebrow/lash and slimmed the hair a little although it looks a little awkward. I might've messed up on the body enlargement, I'm not sure.

And yes, I intended for the bangs to be over the eyes but if there's a problem with that then I'll try to change that as well.

I'm not sure I like the sound of that "apparently".

Well, whatever.  Ears and face are slanted in the opposite direction from each other.  Eyes could be smaller, the left side of her face (her right side) should have more hair visible.  Umbrella looks like a bulb, which might be intended, but still looks strange.  Umbrella handle is too long compared to the rest of the umbrella.  Colours seem to be good, if a little dark.

@DeathRebel

I think your work is getting better with each iteration.  I think two of the "magnemites" would work better as hair decorations/ribbons like in that other magneton design than as shoulder pads.

Would this be enough to convince you that this is indeed a Cacturne and not a Cacnea?

332%20Cacturne%20Edit%20v1%20x2.png

Edited by McMagister

@Exploding

That looks pretty good. I'm sure Magi or Lache can fix it up at this point, or you can revisit this once you have leveled up more. Try working on Magnemite and backsprites. Family line needs to sync.

@Lache

Try fattening the parasol, and adding some green to resemble the leaves.

[spoiler]swvj2t.jpg[/spoiler]

@Magi

Mine's left hand (the extended one) feels wonky. If you want your arm like that, your hand would be more perpendicular to the viewer, or we can remove that arm completely since we are not matching the pose anyways.

Looks good enough to be Cacturne.

That cacturne is a qt. I think it could be mistaken as a cacnea because of the bulbous dress resembling cacnea's body.

As much as I like the old Ivysaur, apparently I should attempt a remake. It's nowhere near the first in terms of quality though, likely needs a lot of work. Intended to match the design of princess Venusaur somewhat.

[spoiler]349Zmdh.png[/spoiler]

aw, I liked the previous venusaur. This one's cute too tho

[spoiler]i-i'm sorry rachel but the parasol looks like a dildo or butt plug or something to me[/spoiler]

Would this be enough to convince you that this is indeed a Cacturne and not a Cacnea?

Random 2 cents,  I feel like Cacturne should have more of a wandering cowboygirl/sheriff look.    That doesn't really seem like cacturne.  If not for the "hat" I wouldn't have guessed,  at least not until thinking it over for a bit of a delay.  In which case,yeah,  I might have guessed Cacnea.

Edited by NaughtyNature

I'm not sure I like the sound of that "apparently".

Well, whatever.  Ears and face are slanted in the opposite direction from each other.  Eyes could be smaller, the left side of her face (her right side) should have more hair visible.  Umbrella looks like a bulb, which might be intended, but still looks strange.  Umbrella handle is too long compared to the rest of the umbrella.  Colours seem to be good, if a little dark.

@DeathRebel

I think your work is getting better with each iteration.  I think two of the "magnemites" would work better as hair decorations/ribbons like in that other magneton design than as shoulder pads.

Not sure if my opinion matters here, but I'll share it anyway.

- Something about it feels too childish to be fully-evolved.

- Also, I feel like it needs something that says, "Dark-type." Maybe a darker expression?

- The dress definitely feels too bulbous for a Cacturne.

Again, I apologize if my opinion isn't wanted, I just thought I'd give my two cents.

Edited by Camion

Not sure if my opinion matters here, but I'll share it anyway.

- Something about it feels too childish to be fully-evolved.

- Also, I feel like it needs something that says, "Dark-type." Maybe a darker expression?

- The dress definitely feels too bulbous for a Cacturne.

Again, I apologize if my opinion isn't wanted, I just thought I'd give my two cents.

This is my only issue with Moemon.  But I think the general idea is "If you don't like moe why are you playing Moemon".   I like it just fine,  I just don't like it on literally everything.  Moe pikachu,  belossom,  Eevees,  and skitties is all great and all.   But I much prefer evolved pokemon looking more... evolved.  Which thankfully they usually do even if they retain "Moe" features.

Of course I still love Moemon even if the occasional evolved pokemon still looks... well...    It doesn't change anything.  I just don't use the pokemon if I dislike it's appearance.  Because I'm shallow like that.  I never woulda used Muk in the past but now I've grown fond of it and would probably use it in non-moe versions as well now.

Your opinions are welcomed, but quoting everything + unspoilered large images are not okay.

@Magi

Let's just go with the armless one.

For Doduo's backsprite, I feel her hand should just go down instead of bending back up to look more like front sprite's pose. Should be an easy fix for you.

*** [Destroyer of arms] title achieved! ***

@McMagister

Like this?

2af04xy.jpg

The hair decs were on the design I was following and I tried to recreate it in sprite-form...and failed. xD

Well, anyway, I removed one of them since I couldn't get it to look good.

@Moetal

All right, I do believe that I can't do much more with it atm myself. Backsprites are going to be a challenge but I'll give it a shot. 

@Camion, NaughtyNature

That's because the sprite was in fact originally a Cacnea sprite (by Aozane, if it wasn't clear).  But it's too large to be a basic pokemon, yet very well done so with a little modification we can turn it into a Cacturne.  It's a matter of going for the low hanging fruit.  The alternative, frankly, is going without.  To be fair, the existing sprite is not too bad.

332%20Cacturne%20Edit%20Back%20v1%20x2.p332%20Cacturne%20Edit%20v1.1%20x2.png

The existing Cacturne

332%E3%83%8E%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%82%B90

084%20Doduo%20Edit%20Back%20v1b%20x2.png

Edit: Luvdisc gijinka designs?

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

Perhaps one of these for Luvdisc:

[spoiler]

mkfnc.jpg

2z9ay3o.jpg

[/spoiler]

@Moetal

Oh really?

[spoiler]

2eluhib.jpg

[/spoiler]

As far as the Cacturne sprite goes, I quite like the new one.  The current Cacnea uses a different sprite and is smaller, so it's not like it evolves and the only thing changes is the hat.  But, Camion does make some good points as to why it doesn't really look like a Cacturne anyway.  Either way, I guess I don't care if you go with what you already have, or modify it further to be more like a Cacturne. 

Edit: Ok, Moetal's non-joke Luvdisc is pretty much perfect.

Edited by Kickern

From the Luvdisc designs I saw so far, I'd tend to go either with Mermaidisc below,

[spoiler]

2EsTtUi.jpg

[/spoiler]

or Piratedisc.

[spoiler]

mLYrVIp.jpg

(The design itself looks... "interesting" to say the least. But some further cloth (especially around the whole torso) should further bring out the charm of it rather nicely. Just food for thoughts.)

[/spoiler]

In any case, I personally would recommend to stick with a Luvdisc design that has something to do with the sea. The frilly idol gijinka's I saw were... honestly less than fitting for this pokemon. 

@Magister

Thanks for the suggestion, I was trying something different with those designs but it looks like in the end that makes it look more like a robotic suit than a magnet girl. I admit trying to not go too robotic but also not too away from magneton (like the one that looks like a radio girl) is quite more difficult than I thought.

@Moetal

Made 2 different poses and also worked on different designs too.

2ypeucl.png r8w4g8.png