[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

Regarding Doduo, I would go with 2s1px1w.png with the other eye color instead of the current red one.
I just noticed that Dodrio has red eyes too, can't say if this blue/green-ish would suit Dodrio though. To be honest, I like Dodrio's red eyes, but just the blushing isn't really my thing, so I think the sprite CyrusZathen posted in his previous comment here is the most fitting one if it comes to facial expression. Looks just great,just the updated hair/ponytail as well as the removal of the blush would make it, in my humble opinion, look the best.

Regarding Dodrio, I'd say variation 3 as well.

But wait... are we even allowed for our input here, or was Moetal's question specifically directed to Magi?
Because, I thought that the ''Pick your poison.'' part was a general attempt to gather feedback, not just Magi's.
If it was just directed to Magi, I will keep quiet now and let people with more experience mess with this. ^-^''

@animeloverxX93 I think his question was probably directed to Magi, but that is not to say we are not allowed to also express our opinions on the matter.  This is a public forum on the internet after all.

Speaking of which, Dodrio variation 3 and the 3rd Doduo from the left get my votes.

''Didn't like the moe.''

... then you shouldn't vote on something called MOEmon, in my opinion.
Well, I guess it looks too ''uguu-kawaii-desu ne~'' in his opinion and I agree with that, but the wording is a bit inaccurate.
Correct me if I'm wrong CyrusZathen, I can't speak on your behalf, after all.
No offense, mate. :)

Also, I voted for the one version with green eye colors.
No matter the outcome, whatever wins should have the sprite correspond to Doduo's, meaning that if a version of Dodriowith red eyes happens to wins, the Doduo sprite should have red eyes as well.
Same with green eyes.
Just a suggestion, mind you.
I'm curious who will win. ^-^

Sorry to disturbe you, but I have a question.
I've patch my game (pokemon fire red 1.0 USA) and started playing, but whenever I reach evolution stage for my pokemon the game freezes. (kind of black screen that is not actually black x) )
I've tried on nosgba and visual boy advance, and tried restarting a new game but it still freezes on the same spot.
Does it come from the moemon patch or is there a problem with my patch game ? Could you give me a hand please ?

sorry for double post, I downloaded the rom from <removed> and it works just fine now. sorry.

Edited by RacheLucario
Please don't reference illegal downloads, and please use the edit function instead of double posting~

Eh, then you were never interested in anything ''moe-related'' to begin with?
Then what are you even doing in a thread that contains aspects of our current pop-culture trend called ''moe''?

Nope i didn't i just didn't cared about the names and download it and applied it to my rom and let's be honest it's adorable so i kept using it.

TIL people who play moemon don't actually like moe

23jih5t.jpg

Don't try to understand people; it'll save yourself from a lot of anguish. I thought I've seen the worst of humanity, but somehow it still surprises me every once a while.

Design wise, I'd rather you go with this Onix/like the original to be honest.

r0c8ib.jpg

Color wise, both the white top and blue jeans are out of place, and would look better in gray. I actually really liked the old Onix face. Your current face doesn't really strike me as moe; can you either redo it or just take the old face? Change the ponytail from top to bottom and you'll have room to fit your legs. Super ahoge because.

xkwz05.png

New poll for Dodrio is up

EDIT: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/54398-moemon-dodrio-again/

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

Look, I draw moe, people asked for kuudere, I give them kuudere, now they ask for moe?  I aim to please, but you can't please everyone.  I don't understand what you consider moe and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon.  Now unless there's a legitimate problem with the face (like moe-dodrio's eyes were originally one pixel too low, rectified with the later sprites) let's move on.  Or you can make another poll, idgaf.

Edit: well you need options if you make a poll so here, I think its not too bad

095%20Onix%20Front%20v1c%20x2.png

Design wise, if we're just going to go boring you might as well use the old sprite since you like it very much.

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

Sounds like you are pissed.
I'm aware that it's not my fault, but it wasn't my intention to express my own preference, just so that several other people can add their BS to it, even though they aren't interested in this whole thing to begin with.
While moe is a term that can be widely interpreted and is indeed something related to ''cutesy'', in a way, it sounds like there are people that want to see their own Moemon version just with their own selected sprites.
If that is the case, they might as well should learn how to sprite and become a sprite artist themselves.
I for one know how to appreciate the work you and other spriters have been putting into this, so don't let it get to you.

Unless I'm getting it wrong and you aren't even too piqued about this - then might as well forget about me trying to cheer you up, it won't be necessary then after all. :P

@Magi

Using myself as example: I like blondes, but I do not simply "like" every blonde because they are blonde. Even within the blonde category, there are levels of preferences and traits that push me away from it or pull me towards it. In this case, majority of people feel the "sassy moe" face was more fitting than the "Chaika moe" face on Dudrio -- simple as that. I knew the Chaika moe face was off somewhere since it was looking uguu, but I couldn't place my finger on it. That might be the reason why the "sassy moe" won by a landslide in the poll since it was a complete sprite vs a sprite with minor pixel error. The fixed Chaika moe face is actually really good, but still look out of place when placed next to Doduo. 

Well, I've been pushing you to go further on a lot of design and you just brush it off and said "simple is good". In the very few case that I actually feel the "simple is good" would work better, you tell me it's boring. How about we just postpone Onix for now since there's literally no good designs anywhere, and wait for cirno-line to sketch us one?

Personally, I believe we should stick with McMagister's Onix here since postponing things into infinity doesn't do anything.

From my point of view her facial expression fits the pokemon in question better than the current one: silent, stoic and possible tactrum(?) as well. All good points of the kuudere moe type as far I am concerned.

Her attire with no breast pouch makes her feel like she's a casual city person on the streets. Which is why I prefer the second one, due to the outdoor fibe I get from it.

Indeed, I'd *love* to have an hiking girl family line in the patch! An backpack of sorts and larger hiking boots would be nice finishing touches in that regard as well. ;)

@Magi

Using myself as example: I like blondes, but I do not simply "like" every blonde because they are blonde. Even within the blonde category, there are levels of preferences and traits that push me away from it or pull me towards it. In this case, majority of people feel the "sassy moe" face was more fitting than the "Chaika moe" face on Dudrio -- simple as that. I knew the Chaika moe face was off somewhere since it was looking uguu, but I couldn't place my finger on it. That might be the reason why the "sassy moe" won by a landslide in the poll since it was a complete sprite vs a sprite with minor pixel error. The fixed Chaika moe face is actually really good, but still look out of place when placed next to Doduo.

I'm not even salty about Dodrio anymore, I'm rather partial to the new "coy" look myself.

Well, I've been pushing you to go further on a lot of design and you just brush it off and said "simple is good". In the very few case that I actually feel the "simple is good" would work better, you tell me it's boring.  How about we just postpone Onix for now since there's literally no good designs anywhere, and wait for cirno-line to sketch us one?

You wanted me to redo Onix's face, why?  Is there another mistake?  If there is, how would I know not to commit the same error again?

Ah, you're talking about Mankey.  I do admit, that design was a little lazy. But it represents the nose, which along with the ears, fluffiness and the tail, form the core of Mankey's design so it does the minimum a gijinka design needs to do to be recognizable.  It's pretty much just something to fill in the gap between the not moe at all existing (suzuna-designed) Mankey and Aozane's excellent Primeape.

Onix is even simpler than Mankey, but I focus more on it because it is going to be one of the first fully evolved moemon (in Gen I at least) the player will see, appearing at the first milestone of the game so the design should be somewhat memorable.  I would like to see Crino-line design an Onix, but how long would that take?

@Kami

Holy shit, Hikers use Onix, Onix is a hiker, that's genius actually.  Ooh, I'll have to redo the legs though, I'll see if it can be done.

Edit:

095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.1%20x2.png095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.1b%20x2.png

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

I cannot place my finger on it, but like I said, Onix's face doesn't strike me as moe. Something about it just looks really empty/soulless (and I don't mean her expression); it's just a weird feeling/impression she is giving off, as if she is a haunted doll or something. 

EDIT: The larger eyes of the second sprite helped, but the feeling is still there. The outfit is a lot more creative, but the pose is kinda wonky now. Her right/our left leg looks weird, her arms/hands are out of proportion/perspectives are off, and her waist confuses me. The red ribbon on the top of her head is out of place.

Spr_DP_Ruin_Maniac.png

Food for thought.

eqt6a9.png

2j67e9z.png

Edited by Moetal

@Magi

Who knows. If I knew the problem, I would've pointed it out. Moved right sidebang left by a pixel. 

2hcnfyx.png

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm not a big fan of horns.

EDIT: On second thought, her pose might be more natural if her head was moved one pixel or two to the left.

EDIT 2: Her left arm/our right and her left foot/our right feels a bit small when we take perspective into account. 

EDIT 3: Her right arm/our left is coming out too high, and is at the wrong angle. Lower the starting point by 2-3 pixels so it comes out of her waist instead of chest, and have it have a 2 o'clock or 2:30 angle.

Edited by Moetal

EDIT: On second thought, her pose might be more natural if her head was moved one pixel or two to the left.

EDIT 2: Her left arm/our right and her left foot/our right feels a bit small when we take perspective into account. 

EDIT 3: Her right arm/our left is coming out too high, and is at the wrong angle. Lower the starting point by 2-3 pixels so it comes out of her waist instead of chest, and have it have a 2 o'clock or 2:30 angle.

This is the criticism I come here for.  Edit looks good by the way.

095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.3%20x2.png095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.3b%20x2.png095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.3c%20x2.png

Mr. Mime

122%20Mr.%20Mime%20Front%20v1a%20x2.png122%20Mr.%20Mime%20Front%20v1b%20x2.png

Check the foreshortening.

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

If you insist on keeping Onix's red ribbon, it is not centered (the right side is too far to the right). Her face is still giving off a Touhoumon vibe (low quality/not as "moe" as your previous works). While her ponytail serves as the actual Onix tail, her characteristics are quite shadowed and ended up looking like a hiker girl with a horn and a ponytail instead of 463 pounds of crushing boulders. The bright red ribbon and the tan color top doesn't help portray a pure gray colored Pokemon either.

2nd sprite's hand looks more correctly positioned, but both hands need to be enlarged. Her right hand/our left should be the size of her current left hand/our right. Feets are roughly the size of your head, and since your pose is pushing the feets foward, they should slightly bigger than the face. Honestly speaking, I don't think normal human would or want to stay in a pose like that comfortably, but then again it's Mr. Mine, so I won't question it too much.

085%20Dodrio%20Edit%20v1.2d%20%20x2.png

Coy won.

EDIT: Walrus tried to vote last minute, but was not able to change the tide.

Edited by Moetal

@DeathRebel

You're off to a good start. I feel both of them can go a lot further in terms of design though. Don't be afraid to make bold changes. Food for thoughts:

[spoiler]24ngu3p.jpg[/spoiler]

Remember, we are human and we don't always make the best sprite at first try. As long you keep trying, they will get somewhere. Like the Doduo and Dodrio we have, they literally went through hell and back before we got what we have today:

35i97i1.png2s1px1w.png

moemon_dodrio_by_riderofwind-d7qtuoq.png085%20Dodrio%20Edit%20v1.2d%20%20x2.png

EDIT: Since you are just starting off, try adding your palette onto the sprite itself to make it easier to work with. You can always get rid of it later. Setting up your palette early will make your life easier.

1z1fuvm.png

Generally speaking, this is how I usually set up my palette. Some palette can be freed up for more details, but I generally recommend three tones of skin and three tones of hair:

[spoiler]1-2: Black, brown (outlines)

3-4: Gray, white (eyewhite, highlights)

5-7: 3 tones for Hair

8-11 : 3 tones for skin

12: Background color

13-14: 2 tones for your eye if you want to make it a different color from hair

15-16: 2 tones for your outfit[/spoiler]

Edited by Moetal