[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@notmudkip0 Got it, thanks! I'll probably stick to posting sprites on this thread then, not too interested in working on Megas just yet and I wish QC were a bit more strict on the other thread.

Blissey (palette may be slightly out of sync, also said palette isn't great):

GXrWRDN.png7U6azpk.png

Chansey (these two are really out of sync):

EsCV8U3.png03hWfh1.png

Also for good measure, here's Silcoon and Cascoon again.

gHIWCXc.pngU4mf7bK.png

Edit:

Credit to numerous Japanese sprite artists, BakaSchwarz, RacheLucario, McMagister, DiaryProduct, Eggplant, Kickern, CrookedWings427, laGashetaHardcore, and other spriters and updaters. (Please let me know if I missed your name)

;u; (to be fair I'm never active)

Edit edit: Also @Moetal are there any starters/high priority 'mons I can work on? Since my motivation to sprite is spotty at best, I think I should be as useful as possible when I'm on a spriting binge.

Edit edit edit (I'm trying really hard not to double post):

UuwPGWf.png

Words cannot describe how much I hate working on this sprite. Pardon the white strip, that's my mistake.

Edited by toottoot

Woah, forgot to check this thread.

Anyways, Visual Novel had a sandshrew this entire time. Grafted Baby Sandshrew's eyes. im-helping-ralph.jpg

SL46zJf.png

It was one of the four Gen 1 stragglers.

14 hours ago, toottoot said:

UuwPGWf.png

Words cannot describe how much I hate working on this sprite. Pardon the white strip, that's my mistake.

I think we might have a decent loudred to work on. Exploud is nearly maxed out on awesome.

I'm so sorry I know I was supposed to do backsprites and I have 128319032 unfinished sprites but my hand slipped

31Jfumj.png

Lickitung ;u;

@Moetal Thanks! I'll try to polish up Blaziken a bit then

@Septentrion Something about the palette on the Whismur family still really bothers me though- I blame myself for overcomplicating their concept but the colors look oversaturated and a bit messy together even though I took them directly from the in-game sprites. Not to mention each color only has 2-3 shades to work with. Hence why I have a mild aneurysm every time I work on them.

Edited by toottoot
19 hours ago, toottoot said:

Got it, thanks! I'll probably stick to posting sprites on this thread then, not too interested in working on Megas just yet and I wish QC were a bit more strict on the other thread.

I try to keep the player in mind when it comes to quality. They hate seeing the worst sprites, but still love the B sprites, even if they can tell that an A sprite is better. I acknowledge the degrees of quality, but many moemon won't ever have an A+ sprite. Progress must be made.

Also, I wasn't hoping to be the main quality person in my thread. I might as well just post the Gen 3 sprites I make here

2 hours ago, Scotticas said:

I got it working but now when I get to oak every time he's about to so hello the entire thing restarts me back to the title screen where its charmander and nothing has changed 

Seem like wrong Firered Rom. Since my project is more technical, I made a readme. The first part applies here:

SET THE SAVE TYPE ON THE EMULATOR BEFORE PLAYING
Under Option>Emulator>Save Type
1)Automatic
2)128k Flash
fixing saves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIhAVH1yMG0

IPS: The ips file must be patch to an existing original FireRed GBA file that should have this filename: 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba

A fake GBA file is on the internet. This has been a source early bugs which. The correct CRC32 hex code is DD88761C for the Fire Red GBA file.

We are not allowed to distribute GBA files.
Lunar IPS is require to patch the GBA into moemon.(It does not automatically create a copy of your Fire Red game).

1 minute ago, Septentrion said:

I try to keep the player in mind when it comes to quality. They hate seeing the worst sprites, but still love the B sprites, even if they can tell that an A sprite is better. I acknowledge the degrees of quality, but many moemon won't ever have an A+ sprite. Progress must be made.

Yep, that's definitely true! An okay sprite with an interesting design is still more enjoyable to most than one of the older sprites with a uninteresting/plain design. Not trying to judge you or anything. 

I just personally prefer stricter QC because it helps me improve my spriting abilities (or lack thereof) faster. Also, sometimes it's easy to put a B sprite in as a placeholder and then completely forget about it (and never end up improving it, even if there's time to make said improvements), and then the poor Moemon is stuck with a B sprite forever. So personally I think it's good to get sprites to at least an A-, where maybe it isn't the most attractive/detailed sprite on the planet, but it's at least anatomically and technically very clean.

My futile plan for teenage shelgon:

q4kZNZk.png

57 minutes ago, toottoot said:

Also, sometimes it's easy to put a B sprite in as a placeholder and then completely forget about it (and never end up improving it, even if there's time to make said improvements), and then the poor Moemon is stuck with a B sprite forever. So personally I think it's good to get sprites to at least an A-, where maybe it isn't the most attractive/detailed sprite on the planet, but it's at least anatomically and technically very clean.

And some poor moemon well never get a good sprite no matter how the project is managed.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:07 PM, toottoot said:

made some changes to blaziken but my computer crashed and i lost them :(

Good luck with that. Moemon Emerald needs a super update. I might have to do it myself. It'll be such a big update, it'll need a new name, like Baemon or Milfmon. I don't think there's an ideal name.

Also, worked on Latios, but I don't think I'll get him to B sprite level. I do think the recent palette is the key, in case he needs to be redesigned.

mcgH4Nh.png

The chibi Latios and Latias are still in use.

@laGashetaHardcore I like fluffy/spiky hair a little more for her, but that's just me. Maybe science?

QdnzoEY.png

Changes: widened arms, cleaned up hair a bit, and reduced palette to 14 colors so we have some wiggle room if we want to add more. Also tweaked the palette a bit so that the shadows in the hair would be more noticeable. I attempted to tweak the face but I'm not completely happy with it.