[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

Hello! This is the first time I've tried using the moemon revival patch. I tried the latest updated version and I tried an older one. Both of them froze as I was trying to select a starter pokemon. The sprite wouldn't load and everything froze. Any help??

@emosun

Not all rom are compatible with this patch. Make sure you are using Pokemon FireRed USA 1.0 and that the rom is CLEAN. Any patch applied before or after this patch might glitch your game.

@DeathRebel

Since you have not made sprites before, try copying and pasting parts from another sprite and changing the colors as you see fit. It's easier to work with "walls" around you before you break them down and explore unknown territories. Magnemite's body is really tiny compare to her head, and Magneton's head is a bit funny looking currently because it's wide and round like a ball, and the eyes are misaligned.

Edited by Moetal

@emosun

Well I really don't know what to tell you. Thousands of people have used the patch without problem, so the patch itself should have no problem. You must be doing something wrong somewhere, so I honestly don't know where or how to help you if the problem isn't from my end.

Edited by Moetal

@Lache

Of course. I'm not good with shading, so all I did was paste the face. The horn will need to be repositioned too, so I didn't even bother transferring it over. Expression wise, maybe. I really can't see her as Onix regardless of what expression she has.

Edited by Moetal

Hello. Been lurking around for a while and thought that I might post something too. Saw this design on the last page which I really liked so I thought I'd try my hand at spriting a little. I have no experience in spriting so um, yeah, it doesn't really look good...but any comments or criticism are welcome. Oh and I did base this off another sprite from the moemon collection.

version11227ff.png

@emosun

1. obtain VBA-M emulator, Moemon Revival 1.5 ips, LunarIPS, and "Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" *

2. Patch the rom using Lunar IPS

3. ????

4. Profit

*Just naming a rom should be within the rules, right?  This one worked for me while the rom by (Independent) did not.

@DeathRebel

It's off to a good start.  I suggest focusing on the eyes and the jawline, this is the most important part to determine "moe".  Like Moetal said, you can use parts from other sprites but I will add the caveat that skill is still required to assemble them in a pleasing fashion.

@Moetal

122%20Mr.%20Mime%20Front%20v1.1%20x2.png122%20Mr.%20Mime%20Front%20v1.1b%20x2.pn

Edit: account for perspective and curvature of the face by making her right eye (our left) smaller.  Better or worse?

While her ponytail serves as the actual Onix tail, her characteristics are quite shadowed and ended up looking like a hiker girl with a horn and a ponytail instead of 463 pounds of crushing boulders.

That's the point of gijinka.  Some pokemon have enough distinguishing features to make a nice design out of them, some don't.

Copy and pasta is all you are good at because all you do is copy and pasta.  Learn to love the pencil tool.  Clarification: Copy and pasta is fine, but the pencil tool is still required to seamlessly merge the pieces together.

You really love that kind of mouth don't you?

@ExplodingPotatoes

Hi Kyurem.  It's got potential.

Sound off, whoever's interested.  Finalizing design: Kuu or dere?

095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.4a%20x2.png095%20Onix%20Front%20v1.4b%20x2.png

Edited by McMagister

@Magi

The second Mr. Mine's face looks better. The lower leg needs to be enlarged a bit too since it seems like you enlarged the feet only. Back to perspective, the ball/skirt thingy from her right side (our left) should be shrunk and shortened. Might be tricky with the limited palettes, but the hat looks really flat at the moment. The right side of the hat should be shorter (to be similar length as left side) since it looks like it's dangling to the back of her. 

As you know, I'm a very patient person, but I am very messy also. While I can draw decently albeit my messiness, sprite making just drives me into a corner with all the neatness requirement. I use the pencil tool a lot more than you think, but it's just not my kind of tool as it's very consuming in both time and my mental health. 

EDIT: Is she wearing asymmetrical clothing? Looks like her right arm is bare, while her left has a pink sleeve.

No opinion on Onix. It's a good looking sprite (aside from my disappointment in the face and horn), but as I mentioned many times; it just doesn't strike me as Onix.

@Exploding

That looks quite nice. Shrink the hair a bit and re-outline the leg and hair with more black. In rule of anime, eyebrows go above hair, and eyes go in front of front bangs (unless you are covering it intentionally). In your case, you need to readd eye lashes to her left eye/our right. Body wise, I think you need to enlarge the body by at least 25% if you are using it as Magneton.

Edited by Moetal

@Moetal

The reason I had Magnemite's body that small is because it's still an unevolved Pokemon, but either way I made it bigger now.

jhzigz.png

With Magneton's eyes I was trying some perspective but looks like it didn't come out well. Changed.

2cdubeu.png

Edited by DeathRebel24

@Magi

Thank you Magi :D I got it to work. I had to use a different patcher since I'm on linux. Got it working though and OMGGGG I'm going to have a cute-attack and die. You guys have done wonderful work.

Is that like a heart-attack version of moemon A_A?

Edit: @Moetal Yup i wanted to see the world burn 

[spoiler]burning_eyes_by_chuuchilla111-d4lta5a.jp[/spoiler]

Edited by CyrusZathen

@Magi

Looks good so far. I think you can shade/line the mouth a bit. Remember Bellossom is part of Oddish family, so Bellossom, Oddish, Gloom, and Vileplume all needs to be similarly themed and in terms of quality. Bellossom and Vileplume could be somewhat of a polar opposite if you want.

EDIT: I personally think the tanned skin is more fitting, but again, I have to compare with the rest of the family before I can decide.

Edited by Moetal

@Magi

If we are keeping Vileplume and Gloom, I feel we need to touch up on both of them. Vileplume's head is huge when compared to Gloom and Bellosom and even to her own body. Her hair could be "spread" out a bit more rather than having it really straight so she looks more like Gloom/Bellosom's hairstyle. Gloom is mostly fine aside from the vaguely looking arms/sleeves (hand?) and sandals. In the end their eyecolor need to sync up. Bellosom kind of need blue or at least some blue hue in the hair to look more like the rest of the family.

Those are some nice finds. How did I miss these? Is that all of them?

Red Ninetails is very nice, but the front and back expression don't match so we will need to make some editing to the back or front. Also some of the places got glitched up colors, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Scythegar got my vote, but again, the front and back expression needs to sync up.

Edited by Moetal

I don't want to point out the obvious, but Bellossom looks nothing like the rest of the Oddish line.  Vileplume's hair is in the Japanese style to match the kimono girl aesthetic.  If you want eye colours to match (does anyone else actually care?), change Gloom to red/orange since she's the odd one out.

Magical deaging beam:

Oddish%20Family%20Comparison%202.png

Well, I like Gloom's current eye color, gives of a ''tranquilized'' facial expression, which I myself am fond of.
The pose is also great, just Oddish seems a bit odd.
I prefered Bellosom's skin tone in the more white one instead of the tanned one though.

Deathscythe-Houndoom's sprites are just badass, especially the front sprite.
Quite impressive actually. :o

I don't want to point out the obvious, but Bellossom looks nothing like the rest of the Oddish line.  Vileplume's hair is in the Japanese style to match the kimono girl aesthetic.  If you want eye colours to match (does anyone else actually care?), change Gloom to red/orange since she's the odd one out.

I also care about matching eye colors in the same evolutionary line.  It just makes more sense to me, it feels like it is the same individual Pokemon that has evolved, rather than it becoming a completely different Pokemon altogether.  I also vote for the tanned skin on Bellossom.

In any case, how does this recolor look?

29aqvs2.png

Edited by Kickern