[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@samus: iirc, the updated graphics patch uses Rom space that coincides with the moemon sprite data. As Moetal continues to update the Moemon patch, the size of the Moemon patch gets bigger each time, and eventually infringes on areas in the rom that are utilized by other patches. When this happens, data gets overwritten, and you get all sorts of errors.

To allow for the moemon patch to work, you must repoint all data used in the UpdatedGraphics to another part of the rom, such as offset x900000. I had to manually repoint all the graphic map data in Ikarus' Graphics Patch to x800000 and beyond, in order to allow for the moemon patch to work with my own graphcis patch. Unless you have experience in hex editing, it's not easy... there are a lot of pointers that need repointing :)

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Ikarus

@ Ikarus

yeah i thougt there would be some sort of coding issues, and it actually works 1.4 along with 2.6 raphics mod. unfortunatly im well out of touch with messin with that stuff, last time i ventured into that was on my psp over 6 years ago lol. i would be grateful for a chance to download your fix though  ^_^

@Magi

No clue what the name is, but the patch itself only have three Moemon: Blastoise, Charizard, and Pidgey. Everything else is just default sprites. I am guessing a quick mod version of Violet?

ofdb46.png

Mega Blastoise looks like this when extracted. No backsprite and a glitched up shiny.

211jknp.png

Mega Charizard has no shiny variation in the patch.

Edited by Moetal

Based off of what i know,moe is a more mature version of manga/anime.Kawaii is chibi form cuteness.I think this is more kawaii than moe.but cute all the same.also,is there gonna be a ds version of moemon for hg/ss or d/p or b/w or b2/w2. That would be soo cool. :3

@shockwave

Apparently you know nothing then.

Moe comes from the Japanese term for budding, like a budding flower. Moe derives from the feeling of wanting to nurture or protect, like growing a plant or raising a puppy etc. 

Kawaii is the japanese term for cute... and that's it.

You can describe something as moe and kawaii at the same time. However, something that is moe doesn't have to be kawaii, while something that is kawaii doesn't have to be moe.

When in doubt, google it. It'll make yourself look slightly less silly.

EDIT: Since you are playing Pokemon (or in this case, Moemon), I'm pretty sure the term moe justify your action of wanting to nurture (level) your Pokemon/Moemon/pets/companion/partner/little girl/etc to be the best they can be. "Moemon" is titled correctly... sort of?

Edited by Moetal

I feel like I am getting REALLY close to getting magicarp-tan into my rom, but I'm making one mistake that throws me off. I can't figure out what.
Here's my 64x64 I'm using, and the screenshot in game.

tFRqOSy.png?1

YCSB0Iq.png?1

(Edit: fixed the card now)
TVKnf4Z.png?1

Edited by Yuan

@Yuan

Huh, it looks a little bit different from the Magikarp-tan from the image on page 1.  If you plan on replacing the rest of the sprites, I did make a pack you can download with all the images sorted out and a tutorial.  Just look for my post back on page 70 if you're inerested.

@Yuan

Your Magikarp-tan lost detail/quality when you tried to enlarge it. I'd say you should use Kickern's file on page 70 (or 1st page, I've just added the link there) or use the in-game sprite Magikarp-tan.

e6q6ie.png24xkh3k.png

Edit: 

2ir4ug8.png

2m3370w.png

Might've made it too moe.

Edited by Moetal

So what else does the moemon patch change besides the sprites? because I tried to patch a firered with moemon and then the Adventure Red hack but it doesn't work (freezes after adventure red start screen). The only reason I can think of for why this would be is if the moemon patch changes something besides the sprites

Edited by tankhedgehog

So I decided to attempt a ditto sprite and...

10zzu40.jpg30nhmcx.jpg

It was supposed to look like a kid playing dressup, (because ditto "dresses up" like other pokemon when she transforms) with a boa, heels, and baggy dress.

Then much later I realized she kinda looked like a ladyofthenight but it still works right?

x2: 24pi25e.jpg

@Nerak55

I feel Ditto needs Ditto face to be Ditto.

wiovn9.png34o9gxy.png

Also Ditto Mew, because cloning conspiracy and whatnot. 

[spoiler]65qqg8.png

It hurts to live.

[/spoiler]

Jokes aside, I feel Lache's previous Ditto attempt is more moe, but still not pushed far enough yet. Maybe you can salvage parts from it and from Mew, Mewtwo, Ditto, Grimer/Muk, etc.

tr2qq8F.png

Edited by Moetal

@Nerak55

I feel Ditto needs Ditto face to be Ditto.

wiovn9.png34o9gxy.png

Also Ditto Mew, because cloning conspiracy and whatnot. 

Burn it! Burn it! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  :o

(Though my love and support goes out to anyone willing to work on ditto because the current sprite is an abomination that hurts my soul every time I look at it.)

So what else does the moemon patch change besides the sprites? because I tried to patch a firered with moemon and then the Adventure Red hack but it doesn't work (freezes after adventure red start screen). The only reason I can think of for why this would be is if the moemon patch changes something besides the sprites

Nothing. However the Moemon sprites are often larger than the original sprites, resulting in them needing to repoint the sprite locations to new, empty spots in the ROM rather than overwriting the old spaces. This will cause problems if both Moemon and whatever other hacks you use attempt to repoint two things to the same memory location, since the game will either be trying to read the other patch's data as image data (thus leading to either horribly corrupted sprites or crashing), or the other patches will be trying to read the Moemon sprites as their patch data (which will lead to freezes and crashes). You can make this less likely to happen by only applying other patches after the Moemon patch, thus reducing the chance that they conflict with a sprite that is actually in use (which slowly accumulate until such a time that Moetal wants to take a handful of hours to do a wipe/reimport of the whole patch), but even with that it's still totally possible that a collision will happen. On the other hand it only takes a couple of hours to make your own version of the moemon patch that is guaranteed to work with whatever other patches you want to use. Here's the basic steps:

[spoiler]1) Patch your ROM with everything except the Moemon patch.

2) Patch a second ROM with just the Moemon patch.

3) Download the Advanced series toolset. It can be a bit difficult to find, but I assure you that there are still a few places where you can download it.

4) Export every single sprite and icon from the Moemon patched game.

5) Reimport all of said sprites into the patched game, click "find empty space", and save it. (Note: Sadly the "import all" button on the advanced toolset doesn't seem to work so you have to do it one at a time  :(). Do the same thing with the icons.

6) Copy over all of the sprite positions from the Moemon game into the patched one (don't mess with the egg or alternate unknown sprite positions, it's a bug that they show any at all and it will break things).

7) Assuming you did everything right, you should now have a version of Moemon that works with whatever other patches you put on it first! And all you have to do to keep it updated to each new version of Moemon is to do the export/import thing again with any sprites that changed in the latest version.

8) Enjoy the awesome work of the spriters in this thread. :D

[/spoiler]

Feel free to send me a PM and I can help with any problems without cluttering up this thread, the whole porting process is a fairly mindless (if rather time consuming) one. :P

s4s0w6.jpg Well, i redid it and its closer to what i imagined but, I also went back to the drawing board and tried some other outfit sketches. [spoiler] Unfortunately i have no idea what i'm doing anymore. 6xt0uq.jpg[spoiler]jrb2m8.jpgHello darkness my old friend. [/spoiler] [/spoiler]

Edited by Nerak55

@Nerak

I think the top left's design is most suitable. The rest seems really out of place as Moemons. Consider making the top left, but instead of wearing a mask, have her holds a ditto (no puns/no dirty thoughts). Do four tone hair, three tone skin. The face you got in the second attempt is a lot more moe, but I think the face shape is still slightly off. I think it would it more moe if you can enlarge the eyes slightly more.

Edited by Moetal

Burn it! Burn it! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  :o

(Though my love and support goes out to anyone willing to work on ditto because the current sprite is an abomination that hurts my soul every time I look at it.)

Nothing. However the Moemon sprites are often larger than the original sprites, resulting in them needing to repoint the sprite locations to new, empty spots in the ROM rather than overwriting the old spaces. This will cause problems if both Moemon and whatever other hacks you use attempt to repoint two things to the same memory location, since the game will either be trying to read the other patch's data as image data (thus leading to either horribly corrupted sprites or crashing), or the other patches will be trying to read the Moemon sprites as their patch data (which will lead to freezes and crashes). You can make this less likely to happen by only applying other patches after the Moemon patch, thus reducing the chance that they conflict with a sprite that is actually in use (which slowly accumulate until such a time that Moetal wants to take a handful of hours to do a wipe/reimport of the whole patch), but even with that it's still totally possible that a collision will happen. On the other hand it only takes a couple of hours to make your own version of the moemon patch that is guaranteed to work with whatever other patches you want to use. Here's the basic steps:

[spoiler]1) Patch your ROM with everything except the Moemon patch.

2) Patch a second ROM with just the Moemon patch.

3) Download the Advanced series toolset. It can be a bit difficult to find, but I assure you that there are still a few places where you can download it.

4) Export every single sprite and icon from the Moemon patched game.

5) Reimport all of said sprites into the patched game, click "find empty space", and save it. (Note: Sadly the "import all" button on the advanced toolset doesn't seem to work so you have to do it one at a time  :(). Do the same thing with the icons.

6) Copy over all of the sprite positions from the Moemon game into the patched one (don't mess with the egg or alternate unknown sprite positions, it's a bug that they show any at all and it will break things).

7) Assuming you did everything right, you should now have a version of Moemon that works with whatever other patches you put on it first! And all you have to do to keep it updated to each new version of Moemon is to do the export/import thing again with any sprites that changed in the latest version.

8) Enjoy the awesome work of the spriters in this thread. :D

[/spoiler]

Feel free to send me a PM and I can help with any problems without cluttering up this thread, the whole porting process is a fairly mindless (if rather time consuming) one. :P

Awesome, thanks for the helpful answer

@Moetal

orz

I'm not much of a designer and ditto is hard to pull recognizable traits from.

WIP:

2ica61e.jpg

Tried to make eyes bigger and reshape head. 

Lessened color pallet to accommodate other masks.

I could not get her legs to look decent so weird outline placeholders for now. 

what pokemon should the masks on her back be?

@Nerak

Face is much better. The hair is still quite rough, but I can't really help you on technical aspects since I'm terrible at hair and spriting myself. I think the starters, Pikachu, or Magikarp would be best as mask, but you're going to have to battle with the number of palettes. Purple/skintone mask with different expression might be easier to make.

1zyvcxi.png

Food for thought/parts to salvage/recycle. This one actually uses more than 16 palettes despite being a touhoumon.

6f32pw.png

Progress is slow. Stick with original "tube" cannon, or make it more modernized bazooka-thingamajig?

@Moetal

orz

I'm not much of a designer and ditto is hard to pull recognizable traits from.

WIP:

2ica61e.jpg

Tried to make eyes bigger and reshape head. 

Lessened color pallet to accommodate other masks.

I could not get her legs to look decent so weird outline placeholders for now. 

what pokemon should the masks on her back be?

I originally thought that was ditto goo on her hand, which was cool. Masks are also an appealing concept for ditto. I think the mask should be a bit bigger as it still sort of looks like goo. I do wonder if shapeshifting goo could be adorible.

EDIT

My perferences for masks: Miltank, Kingdra

There should be at least one "mascot" mask. Obvious answer is pikachu or charizard. I would perfer raichu over pikachu though.

Edited by Septentrion