[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

18 hours ago, Moetal said:

There are currently no plans for a Moemon Black/White Revival Project at the moment.

10 hours ago, LittlePea said:

Maybe I don't understand all the trouble you have making all of those

8 hours ago, Septentrion said:

I know nothing about gen 5 hacking.

Holy hell. Yeah, Gen 5 would be literal murder to try and do. I have tried to hack white once and the moving sprites are not happening. Like back in 2012 no one knew how to do it. I have no idea if anyone ever figured out how to add animations since it's entirely in the base coding, or if there's an easier way to import stuff now that it's been around for a few years. Getting Moemon sprites for gen 4-5 would also be frustrating but not impossible. But All said and done, even if you did manage it there's no way it'd work as a patch for pokemmo. 
RIP Moemon there's no way in hell your coming back from this.

Edit: looked into it and there are not any new ways to hack the game and in fact even the old hacking tools are gone.

Edited by Nerak55
Just now, Maelstrom said:

it wouldn't be easier to make a client mod for sprites

instead of the rom hacking?

Depends on compatibility with the new engine. Talked with Kyu about modding and Moemon could possibly live on, as well as other sprite mods. 

Honestly, I think the IPS should get a final release, then start work for new gen sprites, but it's up to Moetal and all the volunteers to decide on this.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:46 PM, McMagister said:

@HeavyMecha Here's the fixed link to the Gen I-V sprite pack.  As a bonus, I'll throw in a link to a pack of my own sprites and edits.  But as Nerak said, it is probably easier to extract the sprites driectly from the rom, since then they'll be ready to reinsert, and the shiny palettes are created for you.  I didn't make the shiny versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt8hvie7wnruruh/Gen I-V Moemon Sprites.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uekzddi53ba1jh6/McMagister Moemon Sprites.7z?dl=0

Bless your soul ^_^ now I can get the work done sooner.

Not sure if it's a remnant from April Fools Day, but the main header for this thread still says discontinued on it. I assume that just needs removed. 

On another note, returning back to the subject of backsprites, I know I've been rooting on the sidelines for a backsprite being done for the Rayquaza shown on page 235 from laGashetaHardcore, so someone picking up that torch would be a nice start to the work that needs done for the various sprites. Seeing as Moemon Sigma Emerald and Moemon Fire Red go pretty much hand in hand, with them implementing these sprites and all, I know they'd get put to good use. Sorry if I sound like a bit of a broken record, but at least it's an offered point to start sprite work. 

6 hours ago, toottoot said:

@notmudkip0 For what it's worth, I'm willing to continue working on sprites for Moemon, regardless of whether they're newer gen Moemon or end up being used ROM hacks rather than PokeMMO. Then again I'm just me so I can't guarantee any kind of speed or quality.

RIP this project though, and thank you to everyone for all the memories :)

Perhaps a new project can be made for new gens, depending on how many volunteers are willing to join. '[MOD] Moemon Black/White' could happen if we're lucky. No idea who would lead though, @Moetal doesn't seem to have any interest.

This is the worst timing for me to work on a new project. I can understand people being sick of Heonn and Kanto so dumping hundreds of new moemon into Kanto my not be the solution.

The next moemon will probably still be in the third generation engine even if it was called Moemon Black and White. There might even be a BW firered remake soon for all I know. There's a empty johto extension of Firered, There's at least one working remake of Sinnoh.

Also, if the next Official game are the forth generation remakes, then I would wager that Sinnoh > Unova.

For what it's worth I've still got access to most of the tools for B/W hacking so could potentially do sprite inserts. (As mentioned before animations don't work as far as I know, though to be honest the amount of extra work required to even make one animated sprite is huge compared to creating several static ones instead, so it's not that big of a loss in my opinion).

If moemon decides to push onward I'd be happy to provide technical support in getting the B/W ROM hacking side of things up and running for bimonthly or whatever releases, but I don't really have the experience/time to provide the artistic direction needed to make spriting decisions on what should go in or not.

16 hours ago, OtherPlayers said:

For what it's worth I've still got access to most of the tools for B/W hacking so could potentially do sprite inserts. (As mentioned before animations don't work as far as I know, though to be honest the amount of extra work required to even make one animated sprite is huge compared to creating several static ones instead, so it's not that big of a loss in my opinion).

If moemon decides to push onward I'd be happy to provide technical support in getting the B/W ROM hacking side of things up and running for bimonthly or whatever releases, but I don't really have the experience/time to provide the artistic direction needed to make spriting decisions on what should go in or not.

I thought that there was a base ROM or method to remove sprite animations.

There are a lot of interesting designs in the collections for Gen 5 even if the sprites are too antiquated. Lots of science will get us a long way.

B/W has the disadvantage of not have many of the previous pokemon so past work wouldn't be much of a boon. Do you plan on having Moemon B/W manually populated by past generations?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't B/W sprite 80x80? We would have to resize a lot of our existing sprites.

I'd love to continue spriting we have the technical support! As far as artistic direction goes, it would probably be best to have one person making decisions but if we can't find someone with the time to do that we could all just vote.

If we continue with Moemon I really think having more organization may help the project move faster. Maybe we could have an masterlist in the OP of sprites that need to be worked on, so there's no confusion as to which sprites have been finished? We could have different spriters claim sprites that they want to work on, so we don't end up with three people doing revamps of an already good-looking starter while less popular Pokemon (cough Chansey) are still using their original sprite.

19 hours ago, toottoot said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't B/W sprite 80x80? We would have to resize a lot of our existing sprites.

I think the best approach is just to reposition and repose rather than resize. This would be much less work and allow more moemon to stand. It's better for retaining the art style. It would allow allow some larger moemon in the long run, like Serperior and Dialgla being a figurative seven or eight foot tall.

Sounds like a good idea! It'll allow us more freedom with poses, too.

I'm not in the best place to be leading any possible new Moemon projects, but I do have time to sprite. Maybe we should make a new thread and get some people together who are willing to work on it?