[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

Hey everyone. I'm new to the wonderful world of MoeMon. Does anyone have a list of all the main MoeMon games? Getting a list together would be great!

I heard about a FireRed and Emerald version, and this Revival one seems like its different. Heck, I was told they made Eevee, the Starters, and the Leafgreen exclusives catchable, and I can't find any of them here, so I figure that this is a different version.

Anyway I am playing through the version from the front page of this thread and just passed Sabrina's gym. Most of the sprites are great so far. The old Clefairy being the only one I found cringe-worthy (thank god it seems like a new one is coming this way).

P.S. The links to the BakaSchwar's Patch, the Moemon Activation Guide, and McMagister's Collection of Moemon Sprites are broken, can someone post updated links? Also, what is BakaSchwar's Patch? Is that the 2.0 IPS file I already installed, or something different?

Edited by Bunny153539
Forgot about broken links

@Bunny153539 The Fire Red Revival project is just for updating the old Moemon sprites. It's not a separate game or anything. These are Moemon sprites are meant for the FireRed patch, though I think some people may have created a patch for Emerald and there's a patched version of Moemon Ruby somewhere on the internet too. The Emerald/Ruby patches may be out of date, since the only patch that Moetal handles is the FireRed one (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to catch pokemon that are not native to the game you're playing (Eevee, exclusives) you'll want to use a randomizer. Honestly, that's all I can explain. You're talking to a bunch of spriters, so this is probably not the right place to ask technical questions.

(Also it's a bit rude to call the old sprites cringe-worthy. Even if they're not up to our current standard of quality, they were from the original set of Moemon sprites. The people who made them put a lot of time and effort into them and without them Moemon probably wouldn't even exist.)

Tried something new. A lot of the icons are really outdated. The newer image is two different attempts. It's Latias, and I don't even recall a sprite that looks like the original icon.

NrQsjtZ.pngGM7mzJE.png

Is there something about pokemon Icons I don't know about? My edits get pixelated with I try to insert.

Edited by Septentrion

Does anyone have mcmagister's sprite pack please?

The link is down... also, Ruby 2.0 moemon patch is broken, the Torchic sprite is actually the sprite for Ralts.

(If I can get the sprite pack, I'll fix some of these broken patches or perhaps just do all Gen I to V moemon hack)

Edited by HeavyMecha
59 minutes ago, HeavyMecha said:

Does anyone have mcmagister's sprite pack please?

The link is down... also, Ruby 2.0 moemon patch is broken, the Torchic sprite is actually the sprite for Ralts.

(If I can get the sprite pack, I'll fix some of these broken patches or perhaps just do all Gen I to V moemon hack)

You will have to contact McMagister for his pack. I do not recommend anyone reuploading his pack without his permission.

This is for Moemon FireRed only, I am not involved in Ruby. Contact the Ruby version creator for assistance.

Hello, I'm new to PokeMMO and was trying to use this patch, but for some reason, every time I start a battle, the game crashes to desktop.
I've turned off DS Sprites, and I've tried using the Emerald Version Patch, plus the WIP HeartGold patch along side this one, but the problem persists.
If anyone knows what's causing the CTDs please let me know. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Moetal said:

You will have to contact McMagister for his pack. I do not recommend anyone reuploading his pack without his permission.

This is for Moemon FireRed only, I am not involved in Ruby. Contact the Ruby version creator for assistance.

Yeah... kind of hard to do when the last update was nearly 2 years ago and hasn't been updated or online since.

And I completely understand on the whole "don't share someone else's content without their permission", but just like with the creator of Moemon Ruby, McMagister has been offline for a very long time and all of his/her accounts have been inactive long enough to assume that they abandoned it or died or something.

I just figured I would ask for the sprites from someone, that way the progress can be continued, rather than left out to rotten and stale.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the creators and all, but when you are clearly no longer available, someone has to ensure that the source doesn't die with you. As I said, I get the whole "protecting their permissions" and all, but Moemon is an amazing thing, all weirdness aside for whomever feels weirded out by it, but it is a work of art that shouldn't die because the creators are on an indefinite hiatus.

I have tried to contact McMagister multiple times, but have recieved no responses or replies, as well as contacting the ruby moemon hack patch maker, but as I mentioned, both of them seem to have disappeared.

My apologies if I offended or asked an improper question, but I am a fan of the Moemon work, and I do feel it is much better than many of us take for granted. Indeed the art style is weird for people who assume that it is a "pedo" thing, but in all seriousness, I just find it adorable.

So, as I asked before, if anyone can share the sprites with me (whether on here, pokecommunity, or elsewhere) I would greatly appreciate the chance to revive Ruby, Emerald, and perhaps even do a full Gen I to VI hack in my spare time of nothing but Moemon.

I just don't want to see another unique idea die like everything else has.

Edited by HeavyMecha
1 hour ago, HeavyMecha said:

So, as I asked before, if anyone can share the sprites with me (whether on here, pokecommunity, or elsewhere) I would greatly appreciate the chance to revive Ruby, Emerald, and perhaps even do a full Gen I to VI hack in my spare time of nothing but Moemon.

The sets past Generation 3 are very incomplete. I only bothered with three of the sprites in generation 4 because most of theme are significantly under the standards of moemon 2.0. There are only a few Generation 5 sprites in existence. It's not as much of a goldmine at this point.

As for Ruby, the sprites in the Firered 2.0 hack might be taken from the ROM by hacking, but that's more of a Moetal thing than a McMagister thing. Recreating MOemon Ruby from scratch wouldn't be impossible with the right tools. Only a few sprites need to be fixed, right? I don't see the issue if you have the hack.

Edited by Septentrion
14 hours ago, Septentrion said:

The sets past Generation 3 are very incomplete. I only bothered with three of the sprites in generation 4 because most of theme are significantly under the standards of moemon 2.0. There are only a few Generation 5 sprites in existence. It's not as much of a goldmine at this point.

As for Ruby, the sprites in the Firered 2.0 hack might be taken from the ROM by hacking, but that's more of a Moetal thing than a McMagister thing. Recreating MOemon Ruby from scratch wouldn't be impossible with the right tools. Only a few sprites need to be fixed, right? I don't see the issue if you have the hack.

I don't want the hack, I need McMagister's sprite pack to recreate all the hacks (except for FireRed), however, it seems nobody has the sprite pack or isn't sharing it due to the whole "not without the author's permission" thing. Which as I mentioned, I don't blame them, but at the same time, this series will die unless someone can continue the progress or start a new one. However, without the sprites or even using them for reference while I make improved ones, kind of hard to even continue the idea, let alone fix the problems with it in previous hacks.

@HeavyMecha The big problem with McMagister's sprite pack is that very few of the current sprites are in it. It's the original  Moemon sprites and a few variations. I understand you want to basically remake/update the ruby, emerald and making a 1-3gen hack which sounds like a cool project but you'd honestly have an easier time just ripping them from this pack on your own and updating along with us like the emerald hack used to do, because as far as I know there's nowhere that just has all the sprites already ripped and ready to reinsert.

Edited by Nerak55
4 hours ago, Nerak55 said:

@HeavyMecha The big problem with McMagister's sprite pack is that very few of the current sprites are in it. It's the original  Moemon sprites and a few variations. I understand you want to basically remake/update the ruby, emerald and making a 1-3gen hack which sounds like a cool project but you'd honestly have an easier time just ripping them from this pack on your own and updating along with us like the emerald hack used to do, because as far as I know there's nowhere that just has all the sprites already ripped and ready to reinsert.

Well then, I'm off to fix Ruby & Emerald. ciao!

@HeavyMecha Here's the fixed link to the Gen I-V sprite pack.  As a bonus, I'll throw in a link to a pack of my own sprites and edits.  But as Nerak said, it is probably easier to extract the sprites driectly from the rom, since then they'll be ready to reinsert, and the shiny palettes are created for you.  I didn't make the shiny versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt8hvie7wnruruh/Gen I-V Moemon Sprites.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uekzddi53ba1jh6/McMagister Moemon Sprites.7z?dl=0

2 minutes ago, McMagister said:

@HeavyMecha Here's the fixed link to the Gen I-V sprite pack.  As a bonus, I'll throw in a link to a pack of my own sprites and edits.  But as Nerak said, it is probably easier to extract the sprites driectly from the rom, since then they'll be ready to reinsert, and the shiny palettes are created for you.  I didn't make the shiny versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt8hvie7wnruruh/Gen I-V Moemon Sprites.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uekzddi53ba1jh6/McMagister Moemon Sprites.7z?dl=0

How is undead treating you? Seems like we are getting gen 5 or something in the next update. In the meanwhile, we're still only half way through gen 3.

13 minutes ago, McMagister said:

I have no plans to continue working on the sprites.  I might help @toottoot with backsprites if she(?) wants, but other than that I plan on sitting back and lurking.

I understand if you don't want to work on the sprites personally, but would you like to voice your opinion on the sprites in progress? I'm having a rough time seeing where the sprites should be fixed/pushed toward and the lack of feedbacks isn't helping the case or motivating.

Edited by Moetal

Meowth's head and face is a bit small compared to the body, maybe science the original sprite's face with this one?  Remove the shading below the bow and make it more like a butterfly shape.  The tail should be a bit lower and longer so the orange part of the tail is fully visible (it could also be less thick). 

Persian is pretty cute already.  A red gem should be added to the forehead/hair (it's part of the tie already, but that would match the original pokemon more) and the ears could be bigger, like the original.

I tried to edit Clefairy:

http://i.cubeupload.com/s8BHPO.png

Edited by McMagister

And it's happening. Pokemon Black and White on PokeMMO.

It had been a fun ride, but I suppose this is the end of Moemon Fire Red Revival Project. I have to say, we've achieved a lot over the past four years, and I couldn't have done it without the love of Moemon from people all around the world. When I took over Moemon and started this project back in 2013, I honestly didn't expect us to come this far or last this long. It saddens me to have to leave Moemon in this incomplete state, but unfortunately being fueled by pure volunteers and self dedication could only push us so far.

There are currently no plans for a Moemon Black/White Revival Project at the moment.

@Moetal

No way I could buy that!

We all know it's a lot of work to do but you have no idea how much people enjoy your work. Don't you think it's a chance to make a step forward? I've been personally always been dreaming about moemon sprites for gen 4 and 5. Maybe I don't understand all the trouble you have making all of those but it doesn't make me happy hearing that. 

10 hours ago, Moetal said:

And it's happening. Pokemon Black and White on PokeMMO.

It had been a fun ride, but I suppose this is the end of Moemon Fire Red Revival Project. I have to say, we've achieved a lot over the past four years, and I couldn't have done it without the love of Moemon from people all around the world. When I took over Moemon and started this project back in 2013, I honestly didn't expect us to come this far or last this long. It saddens me to have to leave Moemon in this incomplete state, but unfortunately being fueled by pure volunteers and self dedication could only push us so far.

There are currently no plans for a Moemon Black/White Revival Project at the moment.

I should have saved the mega-evolution thing for today.

2 hours ago, LittlePea said:

I've been personally always been dreaming about moemon sprites for gen 4 and 5. Maybe I don't understand all the trouble you have making all of those but it doesn't make me happy hearing that. 

In this age 96% of the work of making moemon is artistic. There are many firered candidate ROMs to implement all the possible moemon one could want, some with up to more than thousand slots total. I guess generation 4 hacking is out of the question. The work to progress ratio is still too high, with the technical bar being above what most hackers can do.

I know nothing about gen 5 hacking.