[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

@Swirly

Her right (our left) sword doesn't look like the sword in the backsprite/on her other hand. Backsprite looks like she's missing her neck. If I accept her as she is, how will Scizor look?

wolf

Legs, because.

EDIT 2: 

arcanine2

@Nerak55

Can you try to fix up the hair and do some touch up for these two?

horn2.png

don2.png

EDIT: And Growlithe shrunk for future use.

growlithe

Edited by Moetal

Sup Moe gang~

Just here for a bit of feedback

**It should be noted that like Moetal with Jolteon, I'm hugely nitpicky when it comes to Growlithe and Arcanine, since they're kinda my favorite pokes'.

Loving those legs on Arcanine, makes things more interesting. I do think that her belt and her arms makes the whole front pose a little too stiff looking, maybe experiment how she looks without the belt? Not sure what to do about the arms though, make her look more ready for battle or something. I wish I could put my finger on what I feel should be changed argh..

The back sprite is acceptable, but her ponytail looks a bit bland and tame. Arcanine did always strike me as the ferocious wild type, how about letting her hair out completely? Like a mane almost, I dunno. It'll make her look less petite.

lol you'll have to forgive me for not suggesting any specific solutions to my criticisms, I hope I helped some at least. Best of luck!

The belt helps, but if possible I think we need at least a little bit of shading/outlines to break up that solid single-color front that she currently has. The fact that it's a single color without any variance for the whole thing when combined with the very strong outline that it has makes it really pop out and seems like it's somehow floating on top of everything else rather than underneath the coat part (this is most visible on the sprite without the belt). I know we're limited for colors, but at first glance I honestly thought there was some sort of black shield floating in front of her as it currently is.

Those are some awesome improvements~

That back sprite ponytail and belt is much better; and the belt fix ups make it worth keeping. Thanks for considering my feedback! Here's some more if you guys are willing:

Her ponytail could use some more detail I think, looks too neat imo. Also, this is probably just me but, the hair braid things look kinda disconnected in the front sprite, I honestly thought they were the coat's collar for a full while. Her face is pretty, but maybe it could use something more dynamic? Snaggle tooth smile for ex? 

That's all I got. Wish I could help more, but I'm no sprite editor. 

Arcanine.full.140926.jpg

Yo! I have to say, you're doing some nice work with Moemon, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a couple of complaints.

First, the maid dresses. There are just too many pokemon in maid dresses where it doesn't make sense. Miltank - I get, milkmaid & all that. Gardevoir though? And especially Swampert & Rayquaza. Probably just personal taste, but I don't envision meido waifu when I think Swampert.

Second, and more egregious, is the shiny pallets. There are just waaaayy too many pokemon with completely wrong shiny pallets, and it reaalllyy bugs me. From the Charmander line, to the Pika line, to Shedinja and Blaziken and the Abra line and so many others. It really bugs me when Jolteon's shiny goes from green to grey, for no other purpose than personal taste, or so I can only assume. This is a problem that could probably be solved with 5 minutes on Serebii, and...just gets to me. I was actually working on a personal copy to fix these issues, but apparently I can't ROM hack to save my life, and accidentally corrupted the copy I was working on. (/derp)

Again though, I have to stress that I really do love what you've done, and I only want to see the project improve. Keep up the good work, aye?

1 hour ago, Pokepika01 said:

Second, and more egregious, is the shiny pallets. There are just waaaayy too many pokemon with completely wrong shiny pallets, and it reaalllyy bugs me. From the Charmander line, to the Pika line, to Shedinja and Blaziken and the Abra line and so many others. It really bugs me when Jolteon's shiny goes from green to grey, for no other purpose than personal taste, or so I can only assume. This is a problem that could probably be solved with 5 minutes on Serebii, and...just gets to me. I was actually working on a personal copy to fix these issues, but apparently I can't ROM hack to save my life, and accidentally corrupted the copy I was working on. (/derp)

What fun is there in shinies if you already know what they are going to be? Besides, everyone knows there are too many greens. It's support to be a rather rare feature in theory so it can't be a huge problem unless you're not experiencing them through the game.

I think we're de-maiding Rayquaza soon.

Edited by Septentrion
'

I dunno, it just feels... unnecessary? Unneeded? Part of the problem is that I didn't know going in that the shinies were going to be changed - The front page doesn't mention it, aside from a single reference in the changelog to the Char line being changed as a nod to TPP, so when I cracked it open to replace Gardevoir & Swampert, it came as an unwelcome surprise - like "Hello! What the hell is this?". It's the kind of thing that can very definitely affect whether or not someone actually wants to use the mod, and as such, should be given a distinct mention somewhere. I know if this were Elder Scrolls, I'd probably include the changes in a second, optional plugin. Unfortunately, I suspect that implementing something similar here would be significantly more of a hassle, if not nearly impossible, at least within reason, so damned if you do, I guess.

Edited by Pokepika01

I know the actual pallet needs to change, I meant the overall color choice - like how Regirock's original shiny has an orange color scheme, but his (her?its?) Meomon sprite goes for more of a blue scheme. Also, to maybe actually try helping with that Rayquaza sprite - instead of making it one yellow, you could try getting rid of the gloves and go for bare hands, thereby eliminated the grey shading that seems to only be used there at this point. Also, the highlight-shadow line thing on her hair seems a bit off.

A 30-second Paint.net recolor tool attempt at glove removal:

Rayquazaedit_zpshgtfpviz.pngRayquazaeditsmall_zpsitv5ndiv.png

From there, you could re-implement the shading on the yellow lines, or do whatever else. 

@BlooKirby

Nobody is perfect or amazing at spriting, but every little contribution helps. Just try.

@Pokepika01

Our previous lead spriter is a fan of maids and maid costumes, not me. I pissed him off enough as it is back then, I didn't have the luxury to tell him no when he made them.  You're more than welcome to un-maid them yourself, but don't rely on me since I will never make sprites high quality enough to replace his maids.

While I acknowledge some color choices on the shiny are based on personal preference, please put into consideration that some shiny colors are just plain awful and awkward to look at, while many others does not stand out very well from the normal variation color. Jolteon, as you pointed out, is neon-green. I, for one, cannot make her look good in neon-green. You're more than welcome to try and convince me otherwise. Until then, however, she will stay black like her previous incarnation which I took no part in making or deciding.

135 Sc Thunders03

Also, I'd like to point out that blonde is all I care about. Just saying.

Edited by Moetal