[Implemented][PvP] Improved Battle Timer

Simple suggestion. We already have a battle timer but this battle timer would be specifically for PvP. Basically there will be two timers, you have the 30-second timer and the 5:00min timer. When the 30-second timer runs out it begins to count down the 5:00 timer, when this timer hits zero the player loses due too 'Time Clause'.

Example:

Turn1:

Player 1 made a move in 29 sec (5:00)

Player 2 made a move in 45 sec (4:45)

Turn2:

Player 1 made a move in 50 sec (4:40)

Player 2 made a move in 40 sec (4:30)

I think 5 min is still pretty long, but oh well numbers could be tweaked.

Pro's:

- No excessively long battles because of players that can't choose moves.

- Requires a more active battle attitude.

Cons:

- m-m-muh pizza

I like it, especially since it might get rid of people whining when you take like 20 seconds to make a decision. I would probably have it add a couple seconds to your timer every turn though. Sometimes it's really not your fault a match goes on for 50 turns, and without adding time each turn the winner would just be determined by whoever happened to pick moves faster earlier in the game, or who had less lag at the end. Also without this you could beat someone by turn-stalling and hitting the button faster than them, which is lame.

Orrrrrr, anything over like 5 seconds counts against your clock, meaning even once your clock has run out, you can still play the game you just don't get extra time to think.

Anything that could discourage "coaching" to win (and not to learn) in official and unofficial tournaments is supported by me. I think that it should be optional in some form though, as in only enabled in tournament mode? Or something along those lines. So that people can coach is more casual situations. 

Besides the coaching aspect I think this is reasonable, and tweaking to acceptable to meet normal "move choosing" time standards.

Also, cheese pizza. yum.

Edit: Dannnnno kinda ninja'd my points.

Anything that could discourage "coaching" to win (and not to learn) in official and unofficial tournaments is supported by me. I think that it should be optional in some form though, as in only enabled in tournament mode? Or something along those lines. So that people can coach is more casual situations. 

Besides the coaching aspect I think this is reasonable, and tweaking to acceptable to meet normal "move choosing" time standards.

Like Em said this would be great if it was for only tournament mode, as regular pvp could be used to coach new players in non tournaments etc

The Time for one move should be increased from 30 to 45 or around that .

Like Em said this would be great if it was for only tournament mode, as regular pvp could be used to coach new players in non tournaments etc

The Time for one move should be increased from 30 to 45 or around that .

30 seconds is more than enough I believe. In VGC the max time you got for your move was 45 seconds (upped to 60) and VGC is Doubles so in Doubles there is a LOT more to consider than in just singles.

Would be handy to have two different timers, both only for tournament mode one for singles one for doubles. The doubles one would have a longer timer.

30 seconds is more than enough I believe. In VGC the max time you got for your move was 45 seconds (upped to 60) and VGC is Doubles so in Doubles there is a LOT more to consider than in just singles.

Would be handy to have two different timers, both only for tournament mode one for singles one for doubles. The doubles one would have a longer timer.

Yup, If not for singles doubles needs 45-50

I like this. Being allow to think your moves without a time limit has never made sense to me, to be honest. It certainly doesn't help preventing especially official tournaments from lasting way too long sometimes. About the battle timer, I think the timer could have features like in chess timer. One option is like ThinkNice mentioned is a time per move with additional time but another feature could be a total time feature. Both players, for example, would have 20 minutes to have selected their moves in a match, or they lose. Total time feature could help organizing unofficial tournaments as well, because the host has a clear view of how long does a match and a round take at max. Having the lack of battle timer has prevented me to host unofficial tournaments sometimes, because I'm always a bit afraid that those matches would take too long me to stay (especially in OU, for obvious reasons). All of these time features could be adjusted manually or turned off when you challenge someone. Only a little downside I will find in this is that it might not be easy to decide a standard time for battle-timer in tournaments, but I guess the battle-timer would always be up for the host to decide.

I think starting both players with a 5 minute timer then adding 15-30 seconds after each move would be more than fair to competitive battlers who don't damage calc every attack

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

PvP

• Tournament Mode matches are now time-limited in a chess timer-style.
    • Players will have 3 minutes total to perform actions in their match.
    • Every turn, the player will gain 10 seconds against their timer.
    • If the timer expires, the player loses their match.
    • This timer only counts down during times when the player has control. It is not affected by animations.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/56249-changelog-20082015/