Swarm Rework

Eggplant

Question

You know how the friend safari works in X and Y?

Every pokemon there has two perfect IVs guaranteed.

We could do that.

Or one or three, whatever you feel is balanced. Two sounds neat to me.

So, any pokemon caught in a swarm will have two IVs at random guaranteed to be 31.

EDIT: New ideas. Scroll down to post #15 for a revised plan.

I'd have made a new thread because my views now and then have changed a little. Also this belongs in many threads.

14 answers to this question

This or a new poke is the only reason I would ever go to a swarm again

And then once you obtained the Pokemon you were looking for from said Swarm, you'd never go back there again.

If we were to try and convince players who had already experienced swarms to go back and hunt for them again, we'd likely need something ever desirable, renewable and probably consumable.

Otherwise we end up in the same situation as we are in now.

And then once you obtained the Pokemon you were looking for from said Swarm, you'd never go back there again.

If we were to try and convince players who had already experienced swarms to go back and hunt for them again, we'd likely need something ever desirable, renewable and probably consumable.

The answer is hats. Swarm pokemons with hats

Probably new swarm species eventually.

I mean, an easier way to get comps is pretty desirable.

And they often get traded or sold so they're basically consumable. You'll likely have to go back.

The answer is hats. Swarm pokemons with hats

We all know how that is going to work out

On topic: We don't really want to make swarms focused on IVs/stats. Pokemon refinement is breeding's focus, not swarms'. 

There is little we can add to swarms in the game's current state; There are few items that have not been distributed or are planning to be distributed and it's unlikely we are going to release any more pokemon via swarms for the time being. The solution to making swarms more interesting is probably:

• Reworking how swarm information is distributed.
  • Making something new to distribute exclusively through swarms. Maybe a subquest associated to create a goal, maybe something cosmetic (i.e. a pallet switch to introduce a new shiny effect), maybe new items.

While the "Hats" post above was a joke, it does actually follow the correct train of thought for how to make it more interesting.

• Reworking how swarm information is distributed. Mewtwo style pls, [System Messages]
  • Making something new to distribute exclusively through swarms. Maybe a subquest associated to create a goal, maybe something cosmetic (i.e. a pallet switch to introduce a new shiny effect), maybe new items. Or higher shiny rates In swarm hue

On topic: We don't really want to make swarms focused on IVs/stats. Pokemon refinement is breeding's focus, not swarms'. 

There is little we can add to swarms in the game's current state; There are few items that have not been distributed or are planning to be distributed and it's unlikely we are going to release any more pokemon via swarms for the time being. The solution to making swarms more interesting is probably:

• Making something new to distribute exclusively through swarms. Maybe a subquest associated to create a goal, maybe something cosmetic (i.e. a pallet switch to introduce a new shiny effect), maybe new items.

While the "Hats" post above was a joke, it does actually follow the correct train of thought for how to make it more interesting.

Because we all want Kyubats trying to make contracts with us

i would be 100% okay with the thought of swarm pokemon having a very low chance to hold one of a handful of exclusive hats.

please make this happen. hats are never a joke.

Weeell, refinement is gonna stay with breeding. But, swarms will give you a headstart.

Nobody says no to a headstart.

Get a pokemon with atk and speed, another with def and hp, and hope for the offspring to inherit three of those four. And so on.

do you want swarm to be popular?

Add something highly valueable and renewable and consumeable?

Look no further (competitive community including me would dislike this, but it would force us to care for swarms)

Berries

Yes

Berries

[spoiler]

Remove berries from the shop

Pokemon in swarms has 100% chance to hold a berry (the way you like to even out the berries at the different pokemon is up to you)

Mainly thinking of berries such as salac piecha lum chesto leppa (most underrated berry of the century) petaya.

Apicot and Ganlon are not popular enough to bother with imho

Also if you like to keep the worth of money at same time as making swarms more useful no problem

new price 10k per berry of this kind (keep the EVreducing berries as they are to avoid too much flaming)

Also, screw berries on pickup ability

On a personal note, I hope you wont bother with this suggestion as I don't care too much for going hunting in swarms anyway and this would force a player to actually play if he wants to be competitive (or pay) but as mmo suggestion, this sadly make sense, at least in my view. 

[/spoiler]

You could implement this with the 2x31 IVs so that you can claim that you both "give and take" with implementing this suggestion. Give us an easier way to hunt competitives and an alternative to breeding at the same time as take our easy to come by berries 1000yen and now increased the price and leave it to those who play the game a better way to hunt these berries.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/35468-swarms-as-announcements/

Swarms as announcements, please. 

So, I have ideas.

OP's original intent was to rehype swarms using IVs, but Kyu disagrees.

So, I'm gonna go with the item route.

Swarms will be interesting because you can get unique items off of them.

This, specifically.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/9706-collectible-pokemon-cards-in-game/

Collectible pokemon cards!

If they are exclusive to swarms, swarms will be sought after.

As to the issues brought up in the swarms thread:

I've given some thought to this, but can't really figure out a good way to make them interesting.

Issues are:

1. [...].
  2. [...].
  3. If they don't have any further function, then you are basically collecting pictures. The Dex already serves this purpose in a more polished matter (using Seen/Owned).

Well, Rachel has already solved this in my opinion.

The only problem with the suggestion though... Is that there has to be a reason to bother collecting them aside from being a completionist. Perhaps having an NPC like the Pokedex checkers that give you the itemfinder, exp share etc. Basically, some NPC that gives you rewards based on how many different cards you currently own.

Another way to do this would be to add a collector NPC in-game that will buy cards based on their rarity or value, perhaps giving some kind of special currency similar to game corner coins that can then be traded for rare items. [...] Rewards in PokeMMO could perhaps include farmable items like metal coats, some vanity items, type boosting items (I'm looking at you, black belt), and maybe some items that can only be gotten from this NPC.

As for what items?

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/43148-make-pp-ups-maxes-as-obtainable-items/

On the list of things to do, how we will distribute the above is not fully decided yet. -Darkshade

You need a method to add these anyway, and it's undecided. So here is one.

Swarms will be sought after to obtain the pokemon cards, which are valuable to both completionists as well as comp players who are after the PP Maxes which are incredibly useful in comp and unfindable without alt running.

Add to that, all these items with unsolved ways to obtain:

-Renewable TMs  There are unsolved suggestions already concerning renewable tms, but this is an alternative method.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/2726-tm-distribution-a-more-feasible-idea/

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/42975-renewable-tms-use-pickup/

-Sun Stones Since they aren't renewable either. https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/11168-sun-stone-implement-chance-on-wild-pokemon/?hl=pickup#entry154755 

-Vitamins because they're too expensive for what they do also I need more content. Rare Candies and any other generic item of more or less value. These specifically because you can't really buy them in a shop nor get them from other players. Usually they're sold, used up, not for trade, or untradeable.

-PP Max/Ups as stated above.

In conclusion. This will encourage the use of swarms while suiting kyu's criteria.

This will make collectible cards not useless collectibles without further function, suiting kyu's criteria.

This will allow renewable items of value that are sought after, and lower the necessity of alt runs to obtain them.

Discuss!