[Forum] Allow normal members to leave an "Edit Reason"

Emlee

Question

It's a fairly simple request/suggestion. 

Staff members can leave edit reasons when they edit a post, and it's a useful moderation tool. However, I often find myself editing posts and I would love to be able to reference why. Yes we can simply put "EDIT" or other methods of indication but it would be nice to use the edit reason/message so that things could be simple and universal. 

This suggestion doesn't make or break anything but I imagine people who enjoy making guides, who have a trade shop, or who post a lot would appreciate the ability to easily draw attention to their last edits/updates/modification. 

Examples: 

You own run a large trade thread for shinys and have obtained yourself a shiny gyarados. When adding it to your shop you can use the "edit reason/message" to signify the recent edition. 

You've added a considerable paragraph to your competitive Pokemon play guide and would like to reference it clearly in the OP. An edit message can clearly communicate this. 

An argument against: 

"I can just add a post to my guide or trade thread telling people what I have updated/added"

Yes, but who reads all the posts and comments in a trade thread? Not a lot of people. They usually just check out your OP. 

Pros: 

Increased efficiency of editing posts/threads

consistency

Cons: 

Mods lose a special snowflake ability

[spoiler] jk, I couldn't think of a huge con other than the time it takes to change it or people having too much fun with it [spoiler] fun on the forums is a legitimate con [/spoiler] [/spoiler] 

9 answers to this question

While we're at it, would be nice if posters could hide their own responses. I understand maybe not being able to delete it due to hurhur post CP and delete from mods, but hiding it where only mods could still see it would be nice. Would significantly cut back on the "oops double post" and "reserve" posts clogging up threads.

Sorry for hijacking Emlee.

Holy shit, let me bump my thread. DO THE RULES SAY NO BUMPS ALLOWED IN THIS SECTION? ffs.

While the rules do not specifically state "No Bumping", they do however state the following.

8. Do not leave posts that state your agreement/disagreement with the Original Post without providing an explanation, or critique, these posts will be hidden. You can simply like a post to state your agreement or post as a reason why you do not. i.e. +1, -1, yes, no, are not acceptable posts.

That rule encompasses low content posts as well as posts only containing the word, "Bump". If you wish to bump a suggestion you must provide a reason for the bump. Simply posting, "bump," will result in the post being hidden.

While the rules do not specifically state "No Bumping", they do however state the following.

That rule encompasses low content posts as well as posts only containing the word, "Bump". If you wish to bump a suggestion you must provide a reason for the bump. Simply posting, "bump," will result in the post being hidden.

I created the rule you're referring to, and it has never encompassed OPs bumping their thread. If you want to add a rule as a moderator you may try informing people. Or you can just make it up as you go along, which seems normal here. 

What is the point of not allowing people to bump their thread? Correct me if I am wrong but my post you originally hid had other content besides "bump".

I will be sure to restate my OP in different words or add useless input next time I want to bump a thread in this section just to get around your (imo) ridiculous rules made up on the spot (as far as I can tell). 

EDIT: A reason for a bump is always to draw more attention to a suggestion in regards to this section of the forums, since you need to be told that in a post I guess?