[Tutorial] Easy way to launch on Linux! AND Launching the game with Steam for Linux!

NoAlphanumerics

So I've been trying to find a way to create a launcher (.desktop file) so I can launch the game without using the terminal and also to launch the game via Steam for Linux.  After countless errors I think I've figured it out. (I might redo the tutorial with pictures and more/better detail/instructions)

THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON Ubuntu 13.10 WITH openjdk7 INSTALLED AND Steam for Linux.

So first off what you'll need to do is make a central folder for the game, I used "/home/*yourusername*/Desktop/PokeMMO-Client".

!!!!Everywhere that you see *yourusername* put the username you use on your linux machine!!!!

Once you have your folder you'll need to open GEDIT (or any other text editor).

Within GEDIT add the following text:
cd /home/*yourusername*/Desktop/PokeMMO-Client
sh PokeMMO.sh

Save that file as "PokeMMOLaunch.sh" and make sure the file extension is .sh.

Tech Note: (Ok yes, having one sh file launch another sh file seems redundant but the game and java will both crash if you dont!)

Next open GEDIT again and add the following text:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=PokeMMO
Comment=PokeMMO
Exec=sh /home/*yourusername*/Desktop/PokeMMO-Client/PokeMMOLaunch.sh
Icon=(Leave this blank unless you have a custom icon to use)
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

Save that file as "PokeMMO.desktop" and make sure the file extension is .desktop. (Sometimes you won't see the file extension once you've saved the file, this is perfectly normal.)

Now you can place the newly created PokeMMO.desktop file anywhere you'd like, to launch the game just double click the PokeMMO.desktop file.

Now if you want to be able to launch the game from steam you need to follow a few simple steps:
First, open steam and go to your game library.
Second, click on the "+ ADD A GAME..." text at the bottom of the screen.
Third, choose "Add a non-steam game..".
Fourth, click the "Browse..." button.
Fifth, find and select the PokeMMO.desktop file.
Sixth, click the "OPEN" button while PokeMMO.desktop is selected.
Seventh, click the "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS" button.
Eighth, while in your game library right-click on PokeMMO and choose "Properties".
Ninth, set the Target as the path to your PokeMMO.desktop file and it must be in "s (quotation marks).
Tenth, set the Start In to the same path (Note: if this fails set it to your the path of your PokeMMO folder).

That's it! You can now launch PokeMMO from Steam and the Steam In-Game Overlay should work also!
Note that it may take a bit longer for the game to startup and load when you launch it from Steam.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!  I'd love to know how everyone else is playing it on linux!

I think the .deb installer is easier to use, but this sounds like a fast way to run PokeMMO on systems what don't support .deb extensions.

Its working on other distributions (since i was doing this on Mint and Kubuntu time ago).

I got a virus, help.

Try format your hard disk, and never turn on your PC again.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.