Give breeders an option to hatch eggs while not being active in game with a time penalty.

codylramey

Question

Well i searched for this and couldnt find anything in the suggestion forums that relate to this. I would be really surprised if this hasnt been mentioned before and i missed it but anyway...

The afk timer on eggs is the timer that doesnt allow eggs to hatch after not doing something in the game for a min or two and is a pointless feature that to my understanding is there to encourage game play and not allow ppl to be inactive in game. Thats all fine and dandy if breeding wasnt what most ppl have to do during the endgame. Sure you can money grind and ev train, but most of us while breeding just want to breed. So what do we do? We spectate battles we dont care about (which unless recently fixed doesnt keep the afk timer off us, i heard you can be kicked while spectating long battles) we spam trade chat with pokes we dont care about, and we stand around moving a space or two once in a while. Does this sound like good game play? Not to mention this still encourages botting. The afk timer on eggs adds nothing to the game and makes breeding a burden. And its not like a player can be very productive while going afk for extremely long periods of time. You still have to unlock the flags of each egg. 

Okay the way the egg timer works is this. You have to unlock 4 flags for the timer to start. After you have 4 flags unlocked the timer starts. That doesnt have to change. The way the timer works is on a point system. You have to have a certain amount of points going towards an egg hatching b4 it hatches. For example bagon needs 124 points to hatch. The way you get these points is simply being active in the game after the first 4 flags are unlocked. You get points = to the amount of flags you unlocked every 30 seconds. So a bagon would take 930 seconds or 15 min and 30 sec to hatch with 4 flags unlocked. But if you are marked as afk you dont get those points until you are unmarked. My suggestion is simply make it to where after 4 flags are unlocked if you are marked as afk instead of 4 points per 30 seconds you get 2. So it would take 1860 seconds or 31 min to hatch a bagon egg. So the flags are still there while afk, but you dont get hatching points for all of them.

Pros:

• Makes breeding less of a burden
  • Lets busier players do things like homework while improving their comp team
  • Any breeding bots, if there are any, will be gone.

Cons

• People will be afk 20-30 min at a time. So what?

Edit: Since i know a lot of ppl dont read comments im adding two other suggestions that i posted in the thread that can be done instead of removing the afk timer from egg hatching. I think that these two things would give everybody what they want when it comes to breeding

1st an incubator in the lab. You pay the scientist like 4-5k to use it, you put the egg in and it starts to hatch. This way you arnt being rewarded for afk play, but are paying for the privilege of not having the burden of the egg while hatching. Btw when i say afk play, i dont just mean truely afk. Most of the time when im "afk" im still at my pc in just not doing anything in the game bc theres nothing else i want to do. Anyway Maybe it can force you to turn it every 10 min or so. This would allow you to just focus on breeding without having to grind. It wont allow you to go completely afk, and it would be a good money sink. (With payday i think we need more of those)

2nd This is sort of a silly idea but i wanted to post it and see what response i get. Some sort of minigame you pay for to play that allows for faster hatching. Maybe like a snake game where for every point you get adds a point toward the egg hatching. After like 20 points it starts adding 2 points. When you lose you have to pay to play again. This can be added in with the incubator idea to. So those who wants faster hatching can play this game, those who want less involved hatching can use the incubator and those who want to grind payday or evtrain can do that with their egg too.

Edit: For anyone that may not get this, i am not talking about any other mechanic about breeding except the little timer that will stop your egg from hatching if you have been sitting there w/o pushing any buttons for a min or two. Im not tlking about the point system for egg hatching , im not tlking about the flag system, im not talking about the w8 for eggs, although some of those mechanics were mentioned i dont want to change them. I just want to change the timer that is in charge of stopping eggs from hatching if you havent pressed a button in game in a while.

Where to start?

Thats all fine and dandy if breeding wasnt what most ppl have to do during the endgame. Sure you can money grind and ev train, but most of us while breeding just want to breed.

Weren't you one of the people complaining about how hard it was to get money now, and how expensive breeding was? Then they put back in the payday function on wild pokemon, and you make this suggestion? uwot?

(which unless recently fixed doesnt keep the afk timer off us, i heard you can be kicked while spectating long battles)

this was fixed a while ago.

And its not like a player can be very productive while going afk for extremely long periods of time. You still have to unlock the flags of each egg.

What's to stop a player from going to cinnebar, paying to unlock 4 flags, then going afk immediately?

And the grand finale:

So lets say you have 7 flags up, while you are afk make it to were only 3.5 of those flags count towards hatching the poke. Or you can round down to 3

So in other words, even if you unlocked 7 flags, you'd still be under the required 4 to trigger the hatching? So by going AFK your egg would never actually hatch?

-1, we don't need this, you can't go afk and still benefit from breeding, give it a rest man

Where to start?

Weren't you one of the people complaining about how hard it was to get money now, and how expensive breeding was? Then they put back in the payday function on wild pokemon, and you make this suggestion? uwot?

What's to stop a player from going to cinnebar, paying to unlock 4 flags, then going afk immediately?

And the grand finale:

So in other words, even if you unlocked 7 flags, you'd still be under the required 4 to trigger the hatching? So by going AFK your egg would never actually hatch?

-1, we don't need this, you can't go afk and still benefit from breeding, give it a rest man

No you are thinking of someone else, i actually didnt mind the payday nerf. I didnt like it either i just didnt care. I belive that 10x the pokemon lvl is a little much actually.

Okay well i tested it a while ago and eggs dont hatch while spectating battles. This might have changed with the fix you mentioned ill test again. If this does work then i guess the afk timer isnt that big of a deal. But when i tested it you couldnt hatch eggs while spectating battles.

Nothing, except it will take forever to hatch a poke. /but i dont see what the big deal in that is. If you just want to breed you should be allowed to just breed imo

if you unlock the first 4 flags you egg is going to hatch. But if you are afk you only get 2 points per 30 sec and not the full 4. So the egg still hatches but its slower.

-1 dont support, find something to farm or find something to care about instead of going afk

I know it may seem like i only care about going afk but thats not the case. But the afk timer makes it much more annoying to breed. What i actually do care about is making it to where if you just want to breed and breed only you can do that. Thats what most ppl do anyway. One of my teammates was spectating battles last night i asked him what who was spectating he said "idk im just hatching eggs." People dont want to have to grind things or find other things to do while hatching eggs. But if you can hatch eggs while spectating battles now then this might not be that big of a deal. When i tested it tho i timed the amount of time it took to hatch an egg while moving, and the time it took to hatch eggs while spectating. It was 20 min while moving and after 40 min of spectating the eggs didnt hatch. This could have changed since then tho.

It was 20 min while moving and after 40 min of spectating the eggs didnt hatch. This could have changed since then tho.

Ive notcied this too.

On topic, kinda support. 

Either this or modify the  'flags event text' to say something like 'You unlocked one flag but your egg wont hatch unless you unlock other x more, and wont hatch either if you are not active'

if you unlock the first 4 flags you egg is going to hatch. But if you are afk you only get 2 points per 30 sec and not the full 4. So the egg still hatches but its slower.

But you need 4 flags for an egg to begin hatching. So by your logic, if someone goes AFK with 4 flags, his egg will hatch at the same rate as if it had 2 flags. So it wouldn't hatch at all.

I actually support this suggestion. The AFK penalty just seems unnecessary since the player either spent time unlocking enough flags for hatching or spent time gathering money to pay for their moves. Unless breeding something in one of the higher egg tiers, there's not enough time to start actively doing something else while waiting for eggs to hatch. All that ends up happening is that the player surfs in the pond on Four Island and runs from everything or does something equally silly, which is just pointless.

Ive notcied this too.

On topic, kinda support. 

Either this or modify the  'flags event text' to say something like 'You unlocked one flag but your egg wont hatch unless you unlock other x more, and wont hatch either if you are not active'

Well the way i think it works is the egg timer only counts towards your egg hatching if you have done some sort of action in the game within the last min or two. So the action of spectating a battle will allow the egg to hatch, but if you have been spectating for a min or two the afk timer hits you and you no longer are working towards hatching that egg.

But you need 4 flags for an egg to begin hatching. So by your logic, if someone goes AFK with 4 flags, his egg will hatch at the same rate as if it had 2 flags. So it wouldn't hatch at all.

Okay the way the egg timer works is this. You have to unlock 4 flags for the timer to start. After you have 4 flags unlocked the timer starts. That doesnt have to change. The way the timer works is on a point system. You have to have a certain amount of points going towards an egg hatching b4 it hatches. For example bagon needs 124 points to hatch. The way you get these points is simply being active in the game after the first 4 flags are unlocked. You get points = to the amount of flags you unlocked every 30 seconds. So a bagon would take 930 seconds or 15 min and 30 sec to hatch with 4 flags unlocked. But if you are marked as afk you dont get those points until you are unmarked. My suggestion is simply make it to where after 4 flags are unlocked if you are marked as afk instead of 4 points per 30 seconds you get 2. So it would take 1860 seconds or 31 min to hatch a bagon egg. So the flags are still there while afk, but you dont get hatching points for all of them.

Well the way i think it works is the egg timer only counts towards your egg hatching if you have done some sort of action in the game within the last min or two. So the action of spectating a battle will allow the egg to hatch, but if you have been spectating for a min or two the afk timer hits you and you no longer are working towards hatching that egg.

Okay the way the egg timer works is this. You have to unlock 4 flags for the timer to start. After you have 4 flags unlocked the timer starts. That doesnt have to change. The way the timer works is on a point system. You have to have a certain amount of points going towards an egg hatching b4 it hatches. For example bagon needs 124 points to hatch. The way you get these points is simply being active in the game after the first 4 flags are unlocked. You get points = to the amount of flags you unlocked every 30 seconds. So a bagon would take 930 seconds or 15 min and 30 sec to hatch with 4 flags unlocked. But if you are marked as afk you dont get those points until you are unmarked. My suggestion is simply make it to where after 4 flags are unlocked if you are marked as afk instead of 4 points per 30 seconds you get 2. So it would take 1860 seconds or 31 min to hatch a bagon egg. So the flags are still there while afk, but you dont get hatching points for all of them.

I see what you're idea is now, but I think it could be worded better to avoid confusion. And I still don't support it.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think, though, because staff have been moving the game farther and farther away from the bikeMMO style of play. The higher staff have made it clear they won't allow you to benefit from AFKing. Just wait till EV training gets revamped...we'll see the same concepts emerge.

I see what you're idea is now, but I think it could be worded better to avoid confusion. And I still don't support it.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think, though, because staff have been moving the game farther and farther away from the bikeMMO style of play. The higher staff have made it clear they won't allow you to benefit from AFKing. Just wait till EV training gets revamped...we'll see the same concepts emerge.

Edited thanks, and you are right in the end it doesnt matter what we think. But as attempted payday nerf and IV buff for breeding proves if enough ppl support an idea then it can come to be. Of course unreasonable ideas wont happen but idt this is too unreasonable.

-1 dont support, find something to farm or find something to care about instead of going afk

[spoiler]

6t2eb.jpg

[/spoiler]

But this did make me think. If there was more stuff to do in the game then requiring you to be in fully involved in the game while doing the most important grind in the endgame wouldnt be that big of a deal. I know the staff plans on adding more games to the game corner which would be cool. But even stuff like that would get old fast and eventually ppl will just want to breed. 

But this did make me think. If there was more stuff to do in the game then requiring you to be in fully involved in the game while doing the most important grind in the endgame wouldnt be that big of a deal. I know the staff plans on adding more games to the game corner which would be cool. But even stuff like that would get old fast and eventually ppl will just want to breed. 

This is a good point, and it would seem there will eventually be plenty of things to do while breeding to keep you occupied with the game. (though paydaying/hunting for shinies/perfect IVd comps are adequate time wasters for me)

Personally, I'd love to see some way to allow for matchmaking/dueling while also hatching eggs. Whether this be a complex fix (like allowing a 7th party slot that could only be occupied by an egg, then when it hatched, the pokemon would go straight to your PC) or a simple fix (like allowing for 5v5 unranked "Breeding battles" through matchmaking), I would really like to see a way to meld the matchmaking and competitive aspect of the game to breeding and hatching eggs. This has kind of turned into another suggestion, but oh well.

This is a good point, and it would seem there will eventually be plenty of things to do while breeding to keep you occupied with the game. (though paydaying/hunting for shinies/perfect IVd comps are adequate time wasters for me)

Personally, I'd love to see some way to allow for matchmaking/dueling while also hatching eggs. Whether this be a complex fix (like allowing a 7th party slot that could only be occupied by an egg, then when it hatched, the pokemon would go straight to your PC) or a simple fix (like allowing for 5v5 unranked "Breeding battles" through matchmaking), I would really like to see a way to meld the matchmaking and competitive aspect of the game to breeding and hatching eggs. This has kind of turned into another suggestion, but oh well.

I do like the idea of having an egg slot. It would allow you to group ev train while hatching eggs eaiser too. I still think that adding more to do wont fix the problem with ppl wanting to only breed without having to grind other things but it would deff help. I mean the thing is this is a pokemon game. Theres only but so much you can do with 4 directional keys and 2 selection buttons. But personally i can see myself wasting a lot of time and money at a pvp blackjack or poker table if one was ever added. 

Two other ideas i just got...

1st an incubator in the lab. You pay the scientist like 4-5k to use it, you put the egg in and it starts to hatch. This way you arnt being rewarded for afk play, but are paying for the privilege of not having the burden of the egg while hatching. Btw when i say afk play, i dont just mean truely afk. Most of the time when im "afk" im still at my pc in just not doing anything in the game bc theres nothing else i want to do. Anyway Maybe it can force you to turn it every 10 min or so. This would allow you to just focus on breeding without having to grind. It wont allow you to go completely afk, and it would be a good money sink. (With payday i think we need more of those)

2nd This is sort of a silly idea but i wanted to post it and see what response i get. Some sort of minigame you pay for to play that allows for faster hatching. Maybe like a snake game where for every point you get adds a point toward the egg hatching. After like 20 points it starts adding 2 points. When you lose you have to pay to play again. This can be added in with the incubator idea to. So those who wants faster hatching can play this game, those who want less involved hatching can use the incubator and those who want to grind payday or evtrain can do that with their egg too.

I can't seem to get behind this one. The timer is a great thing. Before the new flag breeding system, half the players in the game would just hang out outside the Breeding Center. Every other city in the entire game (except Viridian) was a wasteland. Plus, the timer after you get all the flags is based on how hard the Pokemon is to catch in the wild. This keeps "rare" Pokemon "rare" while still allowing for a shortened hatching time. The time to hatch an Eevee Egg used to make me cry, now it isn't so bad. Taking away a timer, or some other mechanic, just because players want stuff now isn't always the best thing from a gameplay standpoint. Doesn't matter how many people get behind an idea, the only way it will change is: if it is needed. Suggestions by the player base are taken with minimal weight. The vast majority of changes are because GMs and Admin playing the game SEE that the change should be made.

On a side note: The timer gives the Eggs a slightly more biological feel to them. Real eggs take time, and actually paying attention to them on an extremely frequent basis, for them to hatch

I can't seem to get behind this one. The timer is a great thing. Before the new flag breeding system, half the players in the game would just hang out outside the Breeding Center. Every other city in the entire game (except Viridian) was a wasteland. Plus, the timer after you get all the flags is based on how hard the Pokemon is to catch in the wild. This keeps "rare" Pokemon "rare" while still allowing for a shortened hatching time. The time to hatch an Eevee Egg used to make me cry, now it isn't so bad. Taking away a timer, or some other mechanic, just because players want stuff now isn't always the best thing from a gameplay standpoint. Doesn't matter how many people get behind an idea, the only way it will change is: if it is needed. Suggestions by the player base are taken with minimal weight. The vast majority of changes are because GMs and Admin playing the game SEE that the change should be made.

It sounds like you dont understand wht this thread is about. I dont mind the breeeding system the way it is with the egg hatching timer and all. Its just that when you arnt doing stuff in the game the timer stops. Thus you have to grind while you try to breed which imo is a pain. Or you can sit there pressing buttons every min. or two which is a pain too. Theres not enough fun things to do while breeding in this game to justify not allowing us to breed while not being active in the game. And i honesty dont think there ever will be. 

It sounds like you dont understand wht this thread is about. I dont mind the breeeding system the way it is with the egg hatching timer and all. Its just that when you arnt doing stuff in the game the timer stops. Thus you have to grind while you try to breed which imo is a pain. Or you can sit there pressing buttons every min. or two which is a pain too. Theres not enough fun things to do in this game to justify not allowing us to breed while not being active in the game. And i honesty dont think there ever will be.

I think I get your post's point. You have no problem with the timer itself. But why did you say anything about the timer? If you don't think the game is fun, don't play.

On a side note: This thread should be closed since the OP said his problem has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Just issues with "how fun" the game is.

I think I get your post's point. You have no problem with the timer itself. But why did you say anything about the timer? If you don't think the game is fun, don't play.

On a side note: This thread should be closed since the OP said his problem has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Just issues with "how fun" the game is.

I dont like the afk timer put on the eggs, not the egg timer itself. They are two diff things. The afk timer is the timer that determines whether or not your egg timer is ticking and is based on whether or not ur inactive. And i didnt say this game isnt fun, the game itself is fun. Have you made it to the endgame yet? If you havent (which you may have) imma explain what its like. For most of us the endgame is comp battling. Comp battling is the fun part of the game. To comp battle you have to grind for comp pokes mainly through breeding. Thats the not fun part of the game. You also have to ev train and make money. Ev training is also not fun and making money is usually done by payday which is also not fun. But you go through all of that ginding bc it IS fun to get good comp pokes, it IS fun to trade your comp poke and money for other comp pokes, it IS fun to battle with the comp pokes you just earned. But with the afk timer they took the most important grind (breeding) and made it more annoying for the sake of encouraging active game play which it doesnt.

Where in the hell are you getting that my main problem is the lack of fun in this game. The game i fun, if it wasnt i wouldnt be playing it. Breeding and grinding isnt fun but grinding is a necessity for any mmo.

Btw i edited the post you quoted to better represent what i meant by that not fun statement. 

Maybe a change of title would help to clarify the idea of the suggestion, i would suggest something like:

Make eggs with 4 flags or more hatch even if I am afk, but make them take longer so it kinda balances out.

Just a tip, up to you OP if want to change or no.

Maybe a change of title would help to clarify the idea of the suggestion, i would suggest something like:

Make eggs with 4 flags or more hatch even if I am afk, but make them take longer so it kinda balances out.

Just a tip, up to you OP if want to change or no.

Haha did it thanks. The new title sounds a little long winded for a title but oh well if it help ppl not be confused.

Where to start?

And the grand finale:

Your egg would still hatch;  you need four flags for the timer to start, I doubt the amount of points you get per minute affects that.  I personally think the timer should always be going with at least 1 flag.

They won't implement a feature that allows you to unlock something in game while you do nothing, games are meant to be played and if you remove the play part then what's the point?
This is not even necessary any person would realize that they could hatch any pokemon in half the time they would for this method and no one would use it.

They won't implement a feature that allows you to unlock something in game while you do nothing, games are meant to be played and if you remove the play part then what's the point?
This is not even necessary any person would realize that they could hatch any pokemon in half the time they would for this method and no one would use it.

If nobody would use it then why would it be a problem? Also you arnt gaining something for nothing. You have to unlock the flags still. Sure you can use cinnabar island, but if you keep doing that then youll eventually run out of money and have to grind for more anyway. Ppl arnt playing the game now. Ppl walk around as if it was still bikemmo, spectate battles they dont care about, spam some type of chat, or stand around moving slightly every min. Some money grind and ev train sure but thats about all ppl do while breeding. Why force ppl to go through these things to keep the afk timer off their asses? Its NOT promoting game play. Ppl arnt playing the game, they are just coming up with easy ways to keep the afk timer off them.

Some money grind and ev train sure but thats about all ppl do while breeding. Why force ppl to go through these things to keep the afk timer off their asses? Its NOT promoting game play. Ppl arnt playing the game, they are just coming up with easy ways to keep the afk timer off them.

Once again, you keep making enormous generalizations and glossing over the fact that people actually can and do use their time hatching eggs productively. As is evidenced by your COMPLETE lack of support for this idea, the majority of the community uses their egg hatching wait time to EV train, grind money, hunt shinies or comps, and other things. Just because this isn't enough for you doesn't mean the rest of the community feels the same way (Once again, you have received very little support for this idea. Take this as a hint).

As I've said before, the afk timer literally promotes gameplay. I don't understand how you can argue that it doesn't.

Once again, you keep making enormous generalizations and glossing over the fact that people actually can and do use their time hatching eggs productively. As is evidenced by your COMPLETE lack of support for this idea, the majority of the community uses their egg hatching wait time to EV train, grind money, hunt shinies or comps, and other things. Just because this isn't enough for you doesn't mean the rest of the community feels the same way (Once again, you have received very little support for this idea. Take this as a hint).

As I've said before, the afk timer literally promotes gameplay. I don't understand how you can argue that it doesn't.

And you're making generalizations too. Ive actually talked to ppl who told me they were doing those things i listed just to keep the afk timer off them. Its only been a few ppl but its not really a convo that you just bring up. I posted a topic asking how to keep the afk timer off you i got quite a few ppl say they usually do the things that i listed just to keep the afk timer off them.

Also this thread isnt without its support. Its pretty much split down the middle. If you count the guy who had no idea what i was talking about i have  like1 less supporter than people who dont like the idea.