Purchasable Masterball

guigoz0rd

Question

Suggestion: Put Masterball to sell in Celadon Mart, Game Corner, or other place, for a high price.

Pros:

- Money Sink;

- Give the players more chances to capture shiny pokémons with detrimental moves (Selfdestruct, Explosion, Roar, Whirwind);

Cons:

- Convenience;

- Decrease the value of shiny pokémons with detrimental moves (Selfdestruct, Explosion, Roar, Whirwind). (not sure about this one, tho; I am not a shiny trader)

Before someone says it is completely different from the original games: In the original games, it is possible to trade Masterball and make an "alt run" in a rom, pass the Masterball and other things, and then reset the game. Note that isn't cheating, it is totally possible without much effort. So if we should follow the original games, the Masterball should be tradeable, which is bad for PokeMMO.

The main function of the Masterball in PokeMMO is capture shiny pokémons, since there is no legendaries (Mewtwo keeps changing of trainer every 10 min, so is not worthy using a Masterball) to use it. We have a shiny market and shiny traders and making Masterball more accessible is justifiable. 

It would make Masterball less rare, but let's be honest, Masterball is worthless because you can't trade it and can be used just once. So it is worthless and not that useful, because you can't get more unless you create other character and play with the character.

And even if the staff starting to put Masterball in every tournament as prize in the 2nd or 3rd place, it still wouldn't have the potential as money sink.

Edit:

Other similar suggestions with possible sources of Masterball were made in the topic:

- Trainer Tower;

- PVP reward;

- Dungeons;

- Mystery Box.

I forgot to mention it is not canon to being able to buy masterballs. We should also consider the masterball as being a "quest reward item" like other MMOs have and most of the time an item like that is not tradeable and you cannot get multiple of it. So if we consider the mmo side there should only be one for every character, but on the pokemon side of it the only way to get multiple was from random lottery chance, so the best option IMO is a lottery or an extremely low chance in the mystery box. 

Also harder to catch shinies that have an "escape" move should not be a reason for its implementation because you are already given that one masterball, and there are ways to prevent it from "escaping."

Also you can spore before the selfdestruct/explosion

RacheLucario said something about canon, not me, assuming your whole post is directed to me. 

"Like other MMOs have" We shouldn't use other MMOs as example.

About the whole thing about it not being able to get multiples of it, the lottery chance isn't the only way:

Before someone says it is completely different from the original games: In the original games, it is possible to trade Masterball and make an "alt run" in a rom, pass the Masterball and other things, and then reset the game. Note that isn't cheating, it is totally possible without much effort. So if we should follow the original games, the Masterball should be tradeable, which is bad for PokeMMO.

The problem is that you didn't lead with Smeargle.

It isn't the devs job to pamper the players, they'll say exactly what they should, and that you should learn from your own mistakes and misfortunes.

People need to be less needy and learn how to deal with shit.

I always lead with a Smeargle with Spore and False Swipe, except in EV training or unlocking flags. I never found a shiny before and I am prepared for it, thank you very much for your advices.

Note that I suggested a high price. I even put 1 million as example, but the first replies were "I wouldn't pay 1 million, therefore the suggestion is bad". If the players would pay a lot of money, which represents time and effort spent, I don't see why it is "pamper the players".

May I ask why are you attacking like that? Like I offended you or something.

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just doing what I do best.

And this idea is pampering the players because all of your reasons for implementing it revolve around making things easier and more convenient for people, which is barely ever a good reason to implement something in this game.
You can put high prices on it all you want, but in the end all it does is make things easier for no good reason, hell most people would probably try to stock up on them and then get boned when they realize they have awful luck and never find something to use their master balls on.

All around it just sucks.

RacheLucario said something about canon, not me, assuming your whole post is directed to me. 

"Like other MMOs have" We shouldn't use other MMOs as example.

About the whole thing about it not being able to get multiples of it, the lottery chance isn't the only way:

I was using canon as a reason against your suggestion.

If PokeMMO is to be an MMO it has to have traits similar to any other MMO other then just being massively multiplayer.In Pokemmo it should be the only way, as the devs have to have a good reason for not making it tradeable, and we cannot compare it to the handheld games because this is a different entity entirely and with it being an MMO there are many things that will deviate from the handhelds.

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just doing what I do best.

And this idea is pampering the players because all of your reasons for implementing it revolve around making things easier and more convenient for people, which is barely ever a good reason to implement something in this game.
You can put high prices on it all you want, but in the end all it does is make things easier for no good reason, hell most people would probably try to stock up on them and then get boned when they realize they have awful luck and never find something to use their master balls on.

All around it just sucks.

Yes, the suggestion does make things easier for players, The point of a suggestion is benefit the players and judging an idea just because it makes harder or easier isn't a good reason, is a precipitate one.

I will use as example the breeding mechanics. Before October 23rd the IV inheritance was way harder than is now. When the IV inheritance changed to -6 +3 the game became alive and a lot of people come back to play again or considered seriously.

Something being easier isn't necessarily detrimental for the game. Suggestions aren't just to fix a serious problem, they can improve things too. If we keep thinking like that, the ideas come only from the devs and the players become just sheep without thinking in how to make the game better, hardly contributing with something. 

If someone stock up masterballs, he would have to spend a lot of money, and that would be his choice in how to spend his money. Bad management of money is the player problem and shouldn't be considered seriously.

You are attacking me, being aggressive for no reason, instead just discussing like TheOriginal is doing. Your point of view is negative, thinking that making anything easier is bad. And you aren't being constructive at all, like other people did, suggesting a different way or building solid arguments.

Probably being staff for a long time and then being "released" change the people in different ways. The players aren't your enemies and you don't need hate them, just saying. I am defending my idea and I expect people agree or disagree with me without unnecessary hating.

I was using canon as a reason against your suggestion.

If PokeMMO is to be an MMO it has to have traits similar to any other MMO other then just being massively multiplayer.In Pokemmo it should be the only way, as the devs have to have a good reason for not making it tradeable, and we cannot compare it to the handheld games because this is a different entity entirely and with it being an MMO there are many things that will deviate from the handhelds.

Being or not being canon isn't an argument, I even ignored that part Rache said, because isn't a good reason to implement or not implement something, she just pointed a curious fact. If it is true or not, irrelevant. PokeMMO has canonical things and artificial things.

I already pointed the reasons it could be implemented. If they aren't enough to you, provide a solid argument, you are repeating the same thing. "It shouldn't be this way" "it is not like the game" "it is not like the MMOs".

I agree we can't compare the original games, but the players always do it, so I already made a counter argument in the OP. Useless, ofc, because you can note a lot of repeated answers.

Also, I can use your own statement against you.

"I was using canon as a reason against your suggestion."

Counter argument: "we cannot compare it to the handheld games because this is a different entity entirely and with it being an MMO there are many things that will deviate from the handhelds."

The fact that you think I'm hating or being aggressive is irrelevant, one because neither is true, and two it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Breeding was made easier, but you still have to put in the work to get results. Altering something in a positive way and implementing something that has no actual use other than making things more convenient are entirely different concepts and should be treated as such.

Now on to your staff point.
Me having previously been on the staff team has nothing to do with my stand on the situation, I would have had the same feedback regardless of that fact. Also, being former staff doesn't change our opinions on the players, though there has been cases where ex-staff (usually fired as opposed to resign, but not always) just go full retard and seemingly hate both the players and staff.

I'm having a discussion and you're trying to disregard what I say by blaming me for being hostile, when in reality that is far from the truth.

Being canon is an argument, the devs do consider canon very important when it comes to the game. You cannot use my argument against canon because like stated above canon is one of the many things they are trying to maintain, they are trying to not deviate from it. Of course there are similarities between them that we have to compare, there has to be, since pokemon is the base of pokemmo, I was just using that statement to generalize most things that are different. Please notice I said "many things that will deviate" so I did not want it to mean we can't compare everything, we have to because of reasoning stated above.

Breeding was made easier, but you still have to put in the work to get results. Altering something in a positive way and implementing something that has no actual use other than making things more convenient are entirely different concepts and should be treated as such.

Altering breeding isn't a ~entirely different concept~, it still makes the things easier to the players. The difference is it was more needed and had more impact in the gameplay. But both are the same concept.

What I am suggesting isn't needed or urgent. It is about giving the option to the player buy a item if he feels the need. We have one move tutor in each character and now we will have renewable ones. The concept of a renewable resource isn't new and is being considered in other things. 

In the same way it doesn't have a lot of reasons to be implemented, it also doesn't have serious negative consequences. It is not a big deal. It won't change drastically the game, so why not?

Also, some players suggested different sources to get a Masterball. If purchasing Masterball isn't a good idea, the other ideas could be used. Unless you really have something against Masterballs.

If it was put in a lottery system I'd have no problem with it, but having it so anyone can just continuously buy Master Balls is a new level of stupidity, and I have faith in the developers sense of reasoning to not do it.

Now if you're done recycling the same excuses and blatant ignorance towards TheOriginal's good argument points, maybe we can get on with a better discussion.

If it was put in a lottery system I'd have no problem with it, but having it so anyone can just continuously buy Master Balls is a new level of stupidity, and I have faith in the developers sense of reasoning to not do it.

Now if you're done recycling the same excuses and blatant ignorance towards TheOriginal's good argument points, maybe we can get on with a better discussion.

I believe Masterball isn't op in PokeMMO like it is in the original games, because it has only one use and is scarce. (sorry, repeating again)

With the access to Masterball we could stop using Smeargle as lead, playing more freely and don't have to choose between losing a shiny or play with the lead that you want. It is already bad enough the lost shiny in Safari Zone. Like I already said, in the original games we can farm Masterball, therefore there is no worry about the leading pokémon. It is not absurd at all.

I would love discuss with you if you stop offending me and calling me ignorant just because I disagree with you.

Can you explain the method of farming Master Balls in the original games?
[spoiler]If it involves the use of multiple games, not really farming, more cheating the system.[/spoiler]

Yes, it involves the use of two roms. But the point is, Masterball is tradeable, so one player can trade one with another player. I don't consider it cheating if you can pass any item. If Masterball wasn't tradeable in the original games, that would be a different history.

I like this idea...  I can't see Masterballs ever having a use other than catching Shinnies anyway.  Maybe make them something like $3,000-$5,000 each

Though, this would also only be useful for people who don't know how to make a Hunter Paras to catch them.