Purchasable Masterball

guigoz0rd

Question

Suggestion: Put Masterball to sell in Celadon Mart, Game Corner, or other place, for a high price.

Pros:

- Money Sink;

- Give the players more chances to capture shiny pokémons with detrimental moves (Selfdestruct, Explosion, Roar, Whirwind);

Cons:

- Convenience;

- Decrease the value of shiny pokémons with detrimental moves (Selfdestruct, Explosion, Roar, Whirwind). (not sure about this one, tho; I am not a shiny trader)

Before someone says it is completely different from the original games: In the original games, it is possible to trade Masterball and make an "alt run" in a rom, pass the Masterball and other things, and then reset the game. Note that isn't cheating, it is totally possible without much effort. So if we should follow the original games, the Masterball should be tradeable, which is bad for PokeMMO.

The main function of the Masterball in PokeMMO is capture shiny pokémons, since there is no legendaries (Mewtwo keeps changing of trainer every 10 min, so is not worthy using a Masterball) to use it. We have a shiny market and shiny traders and making Masterball more accessible is justifiable. 

It would make Masterball less rare, but let's be honest, Masterball is worthless because you can't trade it and can be used just once. So it is worthless and not that useful, because you can't get more unless you create other character and play with the character.

And even if the staff starting to put Masterball in every tournament as prize in the 2nd or 3rd place, it still wouldn't have the potential as money sink.

Edit:

Other similar suggestions with possible sources of Masterball were made in the topic:

- Trainer Tower;

- PVP reward;

- Dungeons;

- Mystery Box.

It's a nice idea, but I wouldn't agree with this. Everyone gets 1 master ball. It is unlikely they will find more than 1 shiny in their time here. And even if you find a shiny here, most people know not to waste their masterball on it, and save that for another shiny.

maybe as a battle tower reward, no one would pay 1million for a pokeball.

This sounds like a pretty good idea, especially since canonically there were plans to have more created as far as I know. The one we're given at Silph is supposedly a prototype. The price you listed might be a bit high though - 10-15k would be more reasonable as it would then become a usable item for the rich and lazy. It could also perhaps be some kind of reward for the planned dungeons or some other facility instead of being outright purchasable.

There have been events in the past that gave out master balls. I remember there being a trivia event in late 2012 or early 2013 with first place receiving one. I guess that's pretty much proof that it isn't a unique item. Wait... They're being secretly manufactured by the staff, aren't they!?

maybe as a battle tower reward, i would never pay 1million for a pokeball.

It was an example, it doesn't need to be necessarily this price. I won't create a new suggestion just to find a proper price. If you have a good price in mind, help me with this.

It's a nice idea, but I wouldn't agree with this. Everyone gets 1 master ball. It is unlikely they will find more than 1 shiny in their time here.

It is not the point.

And even if you find a shiny here, most people know not to waste their masterball on it, and save that for another shiny.

Yes, because everyone uses a lead pokémon with Damp and Taunt 100% the time (Edit: it is not even possible). The Masterball is used with shiny with detrimental moves, like suicidal ones or phazer. 

I guess the price of the masterball must be minor than the value of the catched shiny...

That makes no sense, if the price of a masterball was down then where does the reason why the price has gotten that far down.

That makes no sense, if the price of a masterball was down then where does the reason why the price has gotten that far down.

So if the price of the masterball is higher, no sense catching this type of shinys... waste of money

you don't have to use a masterball on the shiny

So tell me other reason, than using the masterball on a shiny growlithe with roar... (or any other pokemon with flee option). And if the masterball cost more than the value of the shiny, you dont have any profit catching it, so just dont buy the masterball...

[edit]

Also in my opinion adding Masterball to the MysteryBox make more sense.

you don't have to use a masterball on the shiny

A wild Shiny Koffing appeared.

Go random pokémon without Spore, Taunt or Damp.

Random pokémon come back.

Go Smeargle with Spore.

Foe Shiny Koffing used Selfdestruct.

You don't have to, but in some situations, is better to use.

Edit:

[edit]

Also in my opinion adding Masterball to the MysteryBox make more sense.

Yes, I forgot about the box. Could be too.

Use a pokemon with damp, keep using non-damage moves till it uses self-destruct, use disable, switch into smeargle, spore fswipe + ????? = profit$$$

Yeah, because with damp the pokemon can't use roar.. also how u know when a shiny koffing can appear? I dont have always a pokemon with damp on my party...

Use a pokemon with damp, keep using non-damage moves till it uses self-destruct, use disable, switch into smeargle, spore fswipe + ????? = profit$$$

You will use a pokémon with Damp only if is shiny hunting. Otherwise you probably won't carry one. And if carry, probably isn't the lead.

I do agree that earning more than one Masterball in game should occur. I feel like if it's a reward for PVP/Trainer Tower that it may go un claimed by most as the other rewards will probably (maybe) be more beneficial. Having it in Celadon for maybe 200 or 300K could be useful (I didn't think too long and hard about the price, except that it should be umm low enough for people to buy although it's not necessary and high enough that it has an impact) because people may want to always have at least one Masterball on hand for shinys. 

Edited the OP to add similar suggestions of sources of Masterball.

I do agree that earning more than one Masterball in game should occur. I feel like if it's a reward for PVP/Trainer Tower that it may go un claimed by most as the other rewards will probably (maybe) more beneficial. Having it in Celadon for maybe 200 or 300K could be useful (I didn't think too long and hard about the price, except that it should be umm low enough for people to buy although it's not necessary and high enough that it has an impact) because people may want to always have at least one Masterball on hand for shinys. 

200k~300k is a good price, imo.

Why don't they just implement a lottery like in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I do not like being able to buy a masterball as it allows you to catch anything without fail and with more legendary pokemon going to be implemented that just makes it too easy to catch them. Also harder to catch shinies that have an"escape" move should not be a reason for its implementation.

TL;DR buying a masterball is too OP, getting another masterball should be up to random chance like other pokemon games.

Why don't they just implement a lottery like in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I do not like being able to buy a masterball as it allows you to catch anything without fail and with more legendary pokemon going to be implemented that just makes it too easy to catch them. Also harder to catch shinies that have an"escape" move should not be a reason for its implementation.

TL;DR buying a masterball is too OP, getting another masterball should be up to random chance like other pokemon games.

One thing doesn't exclude the other. It is possible having purchasable Masterball and also as prize in a lottery. If they will implement some kind of lottery, that is another suggestion/discussion. Personally, I think the prize of a lottery should be pure money, but that is subjective.

The masterball isn't for free, you would pay a large amount of money to having one, if you are thinking the players would buy 99 masterballs. You make masterball sounds like op, but what use we have now in the game? I am not considering legendary pokémons, I will consider them when the devs implement. And Mewtwo, like I said, don't belong to any trainer for much time.

But ok, let's consider legendary pokémons for now. Assuming all the legendaries will be implemented, nothing prevents the player keeping his masterball for it and use it. And when he feels necessary, create an alt run and use the masterball of the alt run to capture another legendary.

"Also harder to catch shinies that have an"escape" move should not be a reason for its implementation."

You didn't explain why.

I feel like the shiny encounter rate is much too low for that to be a reason to implement this. 

You don't need now, but having the option isn't bad. That is like saying you don't need assurance because your chances to die are too low.

i used my masterball on a magikarp........................................................... so everytime i do go into the grass i get nerveous not becuase im gonna find a shiny just the thought of finding one so i think its a good idea just dat money problem :P

i used my masterball on a magikarp........................................................... so everytime i do go into the grass i get nerveous not becuase im gonna find a shiny just the thought of finding one so i think its a good idea just dat money problem :P

Odds are in your favor that you won't find a shiny, and even if you do you can just catch it. Shinies aren't all powerful and require a guarunteed capture. That being said, adding in master balls to buy just for that reason is stupid as fuck. If you're so afraid of finding a shiny that can end a battle, use this thing called Smeargle, or anything in general that can get Spore and False Swipe. As for legendaries, same shit applies, with the added point that alt running to catch legendaries with a master ball would be tedious to no end with the obedience restrictions, and they can put up with that if they want a guarunteed capture so badly.

I forgot to mention it is not canon to being able to buy masterballs. We should also consider the masterball as being a "quest reward item" like other MMOs have and most of the time an item like that is not tradeable and you cannot get multiple of it. So if we consider the mmo side there should only be one for every character, but on the pokemon side of it the only way to get multiple was from random lottery chance, so the best option IMO is a lottery or an extremely low chance in the mystery box. 

Also harder to catch shinies that have an "escape" move should not be a reason for its implementation because you are already given that one masterball, and there are ways to prevent it from "escaping."

Also you can spore before the selfdestruct/explosion