Of the Safari Zone (Or, curse you Chansey!): A strategy guide

Cubes

Well i did try your method and here are my results along with the ball-ball-ball approach method that i was using before

i didnt have a lot of time but this is just my short log....

1) METHOD- ball-ball-ball

ENCOUNTERS - 21 chanseys encountered

CAUGHT -2 chanseys caught

2) METHOD- BAIT-ball-ball-ball

ENCOUNTERS- 20 chanseys encountered

CAUGHT- 3 chanseys caught

As you see this is just a short log of my encounters and is not 100% definitive on what method is better

but, you can also see that the outcomes are in favour of the BAIT-BALL-BALL method.

(It would be nice if someone who has more data on encounters would help clear this out)

:D

i think this topic is lucky, because yesterday, i read around the forums, find this, and read up on it, and yes it has some great info, stuff i've used for a while, but after that i go to safari for a quick run for a chansey with lucky egg, and i get one, second ball, also had a great nature on it. so i believe your topic is lucky sir, and very informative. so keep up the good work =D

I don't need a better method. I have a lucky egg, have a good nature chansey, should i want to use it. So you offer me nothing. You can share it for the other people if you care to but i don't mind.

then why are you posting in this topic and thanking the OP for this guide if it does nothing for you? go ahead, come up with some beat around the bush answer. actually, i'll save you the trouble. i can see it now. you are going to say, whether you need an egg or not, you are glad helpful information is being posted. but then i would point out how hypocritical you are being by not caring about my correct information. also, you showed an interest in what i had to offer with your first post, telling me i should back up my statement. there's no need to pretend like you don't care all of a sudden.

i dont get it. is this a pathetic attempt at trolling or are you really this dumb?

then why are you posting in this topic and thanking the OP for this guide if it does nothing for you? go ahead, come up with some beat around the bush answer. actually, i'll save you the trouble. i can see it now. you are going to say, whether you need an egg or not, you are glad helpful information is being posted. but then i would point out how hypocritical you are being by not caring about my correct information. also, you showed an interest in what i had to offer with your first post, telling me i should back up my statement. there's no need to pretend like you don't care all of a sudden.

i dont get it. is this a pathetic attempt at trolling or are you really this dumb?

Neither, the OP's information was helpful to people, not to me, he did a good job. You haven't done anything, you say you haver a better strategy and yet you haven't posted it, I don't care about it because i have no reason to catch chanseys anymore. I never said I don't care about anything you're saying, I obviously did as I answered your first question, which was "this information is incredibly false" which I was interested in why it was false, which you never answered.

Anyway this is getting off topic. So we should end this soon.

OK, so 2 things.

1) This method shows results over a longer period of time. Anything can happen randomly. I've heard stories of people catching the first chansey they run in to, with just 1 ball, without even trying to farm them. Luck is probably the biggest factor when you have a small sample size. Part of what this guide is supposed to do is to "clear the air", so to speak. I'm trying to give a definitive, clear answer to which is the best strategy, something that just about everybody wonders about. This gives people the confidence to keep going, and not get worried, or upset, because they know they're trying the best method possible, and that it's only a matter of time. If this guide gives people that confidence, even if they don't get results right away, then this guide has done it's job.

2) Relentless, I would definitely like to see why you think this information is incredibly false, and if so, which method is in fact the best. With proof, of course.

Edit: Btw, I don't think the entire population of pokemmo would be a good enough sample size to test it. Needs to be much larger.

I've heard stories of people catching the first chansey they run in to, with just 1 ball, without even trying to farm them.

Lol, that happened to me in my second character. It's a Bold Chansey also. =P

Anyway, thanks for the information. I was never sure if the rock was really helpful, and with your analysis its pretty clear that it is not. I guess for Dratini farming is better to skip the bait, as you don't have the steps limit to worry for, though.

As for Relentless words, don't mind him. Saffari mechanics are few and simple, and there is really nothing else to cover that can turn into a surprise method (hack? lol). Reading his posts I get the idea that he feels like the bad guy from a manga, trying to speak like he know what's gonna happen.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I was never sure if the rock was really helpful, and with your analysis its pretty clear that it is not. I guess for Dratini farming is better to skip the bait, as you don't have the steps limit to worry for, though.

Actually, you should throw bait anyways. You don't have to worry about steps, but the bait still nets you more dratini over the long run.

I think the bait lasts for 2 turns, and then like a 50% chance for the 3rd. What I've observed:

Bait - eats on this turn

BALL - eats on this turn

BALL - After this one is thrown, there's a like a 50% chance it will flee.

To eliminate that chance of fleeing, I use this method:

Bait

BALL

Bait

BALL

BALL

Repeat

Works like a charm. Of course there is always that really low chance that it will flee at any time.

Bait lasts anywhere from 2-6 turns, randomly. Every time you bait while he's eating halves the catch rate even further. The chance to flee is around 10%, and that chance doesn't change no matter how many baits you throw in one eating session.

Ok, so I started thinking a little more as I was safari hunting and I realized a change. If you have 2-3 balls left, it's better to just throw the balls w/o bait, only because you won't have enough balls to take advantage of the bait's power. Editing main post.

this is a tedious strategy tho.. takes way to long to land a chansey imo

In fact, it's quite the opposite. It takes on average 13 Chansey encounters to catch one with this strategy, 14.5 Chansey encounters to catch one with just balls.

Yeah I was going to ask you what would be the better strategy based on how many balls you have left. I could imagine 1 ball, the best catch rate would be rock-ball?

Btw as soon as I started any method starting with bait I've caught like 0/20 Chanseys while with the ball ball ball method I caught like 3/7 (though it's probably just the RNG's fault)

Yeah I was going to ask you what would be the better strategy based on how many balls you have left. I could imagine 1 ball, the best catch rate would be rock-ball?

Btw as soon as I started any method starting with bait I've caught like 0/20 Chanseys while with the ball ball ball method I caught like 3/7 (though it's probably just the RNG's fault)

The problem with rock>ball is that the pokemon is so unlikely to stay that you're almost always going to run out of steps before getting to use that last ball. In the case of dratini (where there are no steps), then yes you could wait for one to stay with a rock before throwing a ball. However, this still requires an absurd amount of patience for an increase that's good but not great to the catch rate.

On average, you should find one lucky egg per 20 chanseys caught. If you haven't found one after 20 chanseys, you should really consider yourself only a little unlucky. If after 40 chanseys you haven't found a lucky egg, THEN can you consider yourself rather unlucky.

No I mean you should change your strategy depending on how many balls you have left. So if you only have 1 left I'd assume the best chance to catch a Chansey would be rock-ball, but I didn't do the math.

No, because you are more likely to run out of steps than be able to rock>ball.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.