Masters Format Discussion (50s Singles & Doubles)

Introduction:

Hello to the PokeMMO community! 

With the last update, flat battles were introduced to PokeMMO via Tournament Mode. This feature is great, but it introduces a problem to our beloved Masters tournaments, OU 50s Singles & Doubles. We would like a bit of your input before making any major decisions on the formatting. Our goal is to keep the tournament as close to the meta the invites were won in as possible.

The Problem:

With the introduction of flat battles, players have felt free to level their level 50 competitive Pokemon, and in turn leaving them to be unavailable for Normal Mode in the tournaments. With this in mind, we believe a change is needed. We have come up with a few ideas and would like your input on them!

Possible Solutions:

• Option A
    • Details
      • ​Tournament Mode Tournaments.
      • Tyranitar & Dragonite are banned.
    • Pros
      • ​Keeps the tournaments similar to the old OU 50s meta.
    • Cons
      • ​Players who have grown close to Tyranitar & Dragonite may not use them.​
  • Option B
    • Details
      • Tournament Mode Tournaments.
      • Tyranitar & Dragonite are banned.
      • All moves not available on Pokemon in the old 50s meta are banned (e.g. Moonlight Umbreon).
    • Pros
      • Keeps the tournaments the same as the old OU 50s meta.
    • Cons
      • Players who have grown close to Tyranitar & Dragonite may not use them.
      • Players who have leveled their OU 50s competitive Pokemon for moves may not use them.
  • Option C
    • ​Details
      • Normal Mode Tournaments.
      • Would be normal OU 50s tournaments.
    • Pros
      • Keeps the tournaments the same as the old OU 50s meta.
    • Cons
      • Players who have grown close to Tyranitar & Dragonite may not use them.
      • Players who have leveled their OU 50s competitive Pokemon may not use them.

Notes & Rules:

• This is not a vote.
  • This is us gathering information and input from the community before making a fairly large decision.
  • We will not be making any changes to the Masters tournament at large (e.g. mixing 100s and 50s).
  • Feel free to list any other pros/cons that we've missed. They will be added to the OP.
  • This topic will remain open for discussion until January 10th at 6:00 PM EST.
  • All flaming will lead to hidden posts and further punishment if it continues.

Yea, I see no point in the implementation of flat battles(which has been begged for since before breeding was implemented) if you aren't going to use them. Everyone has equal opportunity to use the level up moves not previously available at 50's and everyone has an equal opportunity to use Ttar and Dragonite or prepare to counter them.  I dont think its gonna hurt to try out the full capabilities of flat battles. I think it will make for better matches in the long run. 

I like option B the most, personally. Seems to give the most leniency while still upholding the rules originally intended for 50s. I know I do not officially hold a master's invitation, but hopefully my opinion still holds some weight.

There's no point in this. The Master's tournament isn't going to be 3v3/4v4 to simulate those master's invites, it's not going to ban egg moves, etc.; The meta changes, it's ridiculous to try and keep it the same as before. The "Master" of a format should be the master of the format as it is now, flat battles are in, they should just deal with it. It's not like there isn't time to make a Dragonite or a Tyranitar.

Seeing as this tournament is specifically for those with masters and reserve tickets, the opinions of those ineligible to compete are irrelevant.

If that were the case they could've just pm'd those with masters and reserve tickets instead of making it a public discussion. Also the OP is clearly addressing the community, so pls go.

If that were the case they could've just pm'd those with masters and reserve tickets instead of making it a public discussion. Also the OP is clearly addressing the community, so pls go.

I agree that the opinion of non master's invitation holders is irrelevant. However, I see nothing wrong with a public address. It should not taint the final decision too much, though.

It's too late to go back at this point. As Senile said the meta has changed and in my opinion there should simply be three tournaments as designed previously. Two being flat battles with the current "Official Rules and Bans" and the other a doubles tournament. It's unfortunate that the induction of flat battles came before the Master's Championships, but nevertheless it is here and it has altered the way we play. As said before, we just have to deal.

We are Masters right?

I dont have one and i wont pretend to have one but imo if i did, every single masters that has been won was won in the old meta, so respectively the masters should follow.  Seems impossible to be fair for those who leveled 50s to 100s just because.  so option a or b no ttar and dragon and moves masters should be fought in same way in which it was won

This shouldn't only be a discussion for the Masters but for every tournament that is gonna be hosted in the future. Personally i would like to see the masters played with the same rules as which the players who won a Masters spot has done it. Would be fair to finish this tournament under the old rules, After the masters we should just allow Dragonite and Tyranitar. But i must agree, the players who are in the masters should just figure this out for themselves on how they want to play this tournament. 

This shouldn't only be a discussion for the Masters but for every tournament that is gonna be hosted in the future. Personally i would like to see the masters played with the same rules as which the players who won a Masters spot has done it. Would be fair to finish this tournament under the old rules, After the masters we should just allow Dragonite and Tyranitar. But i must agree, the players who are in the masters should just figure this out for themselves on how they want to play this tournament. 

this would bring back the 3v3 and 4v4 meta, so pls no